LAC LA BICHE COUNTY

LAC LA BICHE COUNTY Employee Reviews

Great place to work at if you need a summer job as a student. If you really prove yourself and get in good with the fieldmen, you can advance relatively quickly or get offered a full time position. Their reference has helped me get job opportunities since working for them. Pay is good for an entry level position/summer job. They sometimes have a tendency to hire real boneheads, though.
Pros
4 day weeks/10hr days
Cons
You have to live in Lac la Biche to work with them
Management and HR too biased on hiring local friends who are under qualified, thus requiring training on the job. Meanwhile the qualified internal candidates are rarely even given an interview. Municipal affairs has tried to resolve situation several years ago, but didn't make much difference. It is common to see 2-3 family members working for the same organization. The seasonal staff are almost exclusively relatives and/or friends of staff, thus shutting out anyone living outside the county. The various departments work in 4 different buildings making internal collaboration and team spirit culture weak. A few longer time serving managers are grossly over paid and have a light workload, thereby creating inequity (and strife) compared those with heavy workloads and lower pay. The pay and benefits are good.
Benefits
Cons
poor management and organizational morale
Bad management. Can't trust them. Out for them selves. They will try and keep you close so they can have a finger on you. They will do the same as you and when things go wrong look for an escape goat
Pros
Good money
Cons
Bad management
It was a great experience it was something new for me and it was great I love to try new things it gave me something to look forward to I can’t wait to see what my next job is
Not a bad place to work if you don't mind living in Lac La Biche. They have a fantastic community centre and many restaurants. Just don't advertise where you work.
It's been nearly 8 years since I worked there and I left to follow my spouse's career... Firstly my manager, (K.G. - Mgr EcDev.) was well organized and easy to communicate with too. She was clear in her expectations and direct. I knew exactly what she expected, she was supportive and allowed autonomy. I have been lucky to work with some great managers and she was one of the best. My other colleagues there were welcoming and helpful. The team spirit was fun.
Pros
great team
This was a great work place experience and opportunity. It was a fun and positive work place. Every one was very nice and supportive. Loved my time here.
i worked as a custodian and there was alot of walking and bending and lifting. i really enjoyed the support of the management and supervisors, there is how ever lots of safety paperwork which i didnt mind
Pros
great benifits and retirement plan
Cons
long hrs
Workforce rotation is 40% on a period of 3 years. Council ask their departments, consisting each of 1 or 2 persons, too much for such small teams. And, without resources and so many employees departures, (including management), coordination is minimal.
from the workers to management, everyone is engaged and professional. wages are great, the people are good, and i enjoy my time there so far. a great company to work for!
I love my job, my coworkers are amazing and the management means well but are restricted by politics sometimes. Coworkers respect each others decisions and supervisors are supportive. Left to retire. There were no part time opportunities.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Politics
Lots of opportunities for picking up additional shifts if you're willing to work additional hours. Very knowledgeable and helpful coworkers. Lots of training provided. Helped me learn numerous things that I would never have learned in the classroom.
Pros
Fun and easy work
A good company to work for but hard to stick around. Didn't want to rehire me for a second term because of higher pay requirement. The people were easy to work with but seemed incompetent when it came to some equipment necessary for the job.
Not a good experience. In fact, it was the worst job I have ever had. The county is not managed well yet they either don't know it or don't care. Superiors do not at all motivate staff to better themselves or advance. Unless you are born and raised in the area you will not advance in your career, as certain families are favoured when it comes to hiring and promotions, regardless of, well....merit or competence. I saw long-term employees fired without cause to be replaced by incompetent simpletons from the "right" family. Pay is ok but the work culture is simply awful. People that take jobs there but aren't from the County last about a year (including me) max because it is just so bad. Do NOT work here.
Pros
Ummm...the pay I guess?
Cons
Very poor management, depressing corporate culture, no opportunity for advancement.
I enjoyed working with Lac La Biche County. I left only because I was moving out of town. My manager was great to work with; she was decisive and provided good direction at the same time as allowing autonomy. There were opportunities to grow in the position and in the organization.
Pros
Well organized, well paid, good h.r.
Working at Lac La Biche County I was able to be a part of organizing some amazing events, such as golf tournament, concerts, and local community events. Being that I worked in Recreation I had a strong relationship with our organization as well as the community.
Municipal government in Alberta is rarely done well, and Lac La Biche is no exception. CAOs are lucky to last two years, and the turnover, even among managers, is extremely high. At least one "full-time permanent" employee left or was laid off for each month that I worked at Lac La Biche County. A "full-time permanent" job at Lac La Biche County should definitely be bracketed by quotation marks, because it is full-time and permanent in name only, not in fact. Part of the high turnover rates may be the cold winters, but another part of it is definitely the local culture, or lack thereof. Locals love to hate government. Elected officials who promise to cut government are popular, and CAOs who follow these sentiments are more likely to make it to 2 years instead of 12 months. Elected officials can be observed in the paper openly maligning government workers and vowing to instill a culture of fear in the county workplace. Before you take a job here, read the Cuff report from 2005. Alberta Municipal Affairs is the branch of the Government of Alberta responsible for investigating maladministration in municipalities. Alberta Municipal Affairs had an independent consultant conduct a study of the Lac La Biche region in 2005 and the study recommended that the Mayor and every council member resign, and that the CAO be terminated. Those people are out, and the County has changed its name, but the close relatives and friends of those Council members and administrators with the same inconsistent values inevitably take the reins of power.
Pros
Cons
Workplace culture
Job duties varied, as the term position went on. Co-workers were excellent and very helpful. Management can be sometimes hard to work with in various areas. As I was on a term position, the unknown of job security was always a question. Wages and benefit package were very good. Overall, work environment was enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible hours and benefit package for term employees
Cons
Job Security
Worked with great people. Direction was limited. Would have liked the opportunity to learn more and advance. Change in administration led to uncertainties.
Overall a good place to work. Lots of new things to learn so I did become board with my job. Some times I had to go locking for things to do as I was not always busy enough.
Pros
3 weeks holidays
Cons
no job security
Liked working at the Lac La Biche County as a seasonal employee for the last 7 summers. Did many different kinds of jobs and learned many different skills and met many different people. Enjoyed the work environment.
Pros
Overtime opportunities