Labrador-Grenfell Health

Labrador-Grenfell Health Employee Reviews

Fast paced in all departments

Fast paced place to work, but management needs a massive overhaul along with the scheduling and pay department. If you are not a doctor then you are treated like trash. Poor support and manager’s have managers who have managers, the chain of command/control is horrendous.

Pros

General Staff are amazing and help each other

Cons

Poor poor poor management

Stressful and Depressing

Management is a farce in the organization, senior management constantly delegates the bulk of their administrative work onto their management team, which prevents the managers from being on floor with staff. Senior management don't have a clue what they're doing because of the "old boys club" hiring practices that are taking place. If you have a friend in management, or a partner, it doesn't matter if you are qualified for the position they will appoint managers and directors without posting competitions, if they want to finagle one of their friends to the top. Very gossipy place to work as well, with a very poor work culture. It is very clicky for the most part, you either find a group to fit in with or you're a social pariah. Managers are also very unprofessional in their conduct when speaking to other management members and treat you like a bottom feeder if you are below their rank in the management ivory tower. That's why the call the Administration Building (Senior Managers Office Bldg) the "Crystal Palace".

Pros

Paid Leave

Cons

Stressful work environment, lack of guidance, no corporate knowledge passed onto new management (you learn on your own as problems arise), poor work culture, management is penny smart and dollar dumb, at the expense of lower management taking all the cuts to their programs and benefits

I loved working at labrador grenfell

Very fair place to work and paid fair as well. I loved the job and if I had not moved out of province I would have stayed. It's a great environment, and all your coworkers are great.

Management lies to employees

Easy interview, very poor salary when compared to other provinces - for example a nurse left to go work in nova scotia - you can google the newspaper report - she had given her life for LGHealth but got taken advantage of so decided to move to another province. People are overworked and tired. The orientation is poor. Management will lie to you and try to take advantage of your good intentions this is the worst part of the job - the deceptive nature of senior management.

Pros

Cons

the management

Poor organised cooperation

When it come to paramedic department there is no specific management for paramedics. Clinical nurse site manager is the one managing ER nurse, Paramedics and some other department. Its is so difficult to manage three department in same time, maybe because that's why she is doing a terrible job. I was interviewed by Jan 2020 for the position it was over the phone. Interview was a joke and easy, I ask them what is my duties ? specially when they saying other related duties. They said taking Vitals,ECG, IV cannulation, bring patients to X-ray (portering duties) not limited for ER patients. That was strange to me. In Ontario where I come from, that never happened. We always have separate base and regulated under base hospital Doctors not by ER nurses. Anyways I accept the offer and hung up the phone. I had a friend working in same service (LGH). I told my situation and ask his/her opinion. I was told working in this LGH paramedic service 90% them treated miserably by management and looking for a good opportunity to move out. When they work in Happy valley goosebay, they were assigned to work in 2 locations about 50kms apart need to use own vehicle to travel back and forth. Shift is 48 to 72 hours including oncall portion. While oncall they pay $2.5/hour If you get callouts only you get over time. Their management is mostly supportive to Nurses. So medics work below the nurses. There was so many things going over there. Frankly speaking management is inefficient. There are places well recognize our paramedic profession. Work for them and get in to right path.  -

Pros

Cons

Terrible experiance

Terrible place to work

I would not recommend for my friend to work in here specially in ER nurse or paramedic unless they have no options. Management is so much unnecessary interference, forcing the staff for working extended hours but NOT PAYING RIGHT PAY. Very tough to get approval for vacations. Management push the staff for the maximum burnout but never care about the staff health being like family life or PTST etc PTSD,family

Some days can be very stressful while others are more relaxed. There is always work to do if you look around you but you need to have initiative and be energetic if you are to be an asset to the team.

Great for Experience

Great for experience and starting out . Able to do medivacs to costal clinics, work in neighbouring towns, and Always overtime available due to short staffed.

Great workplace with lots of room for advancement

While working at the Labrador Health Center, I was trained into many different departments, and had plenty of room to advance. Great place to work, and friendly coworkers in all departments.

Hardest part of my job

The hardest part of my job was being trained in so many different locations. Knowing how to do 15 jobs was very stressful. I was a casual call in work so I was pulled for a different job each day of the week. I didn't mind getting called in the last minute as they always give you time to get there in a proficient manner. The most enjoyable thing about the job was being able to help clients.

Jobs at Labrador-Grenfell Health

See more jobs

Very

Setup all new user network access, and orientating new users to all application. i was Responsible for performing PC configuration and management, network systems engineering, network management, and troubleshooting/repair in a large-scale, multi-facility organization. Managed, implemented, and maintained a technical helpdesk. Led periodic technical training seminars directed at hospital staff. very busy workplace but has a great staff. the hardest part about the job was the travel.

Mediocre - maybe not for me

Not what I expected from a large corporation. Being looked down on by nurses and other "more important" employees was a regular feeling while at work.

Pros

Cons

Hostile Work Enviornment

Great Work Experience

Word day started at 8am until 4pm , great work experience in the health department, Management was almost non existent, left on your own to figure out what your job is and no one to guide you, No training or direction for the first 2 months. My co workers were great and the workplace culture was amazing, very relaxed and slow place environment, I enjoyed going to work everyday and looked forward to learning new things. HR was a nightmare, No face to face orientation or direction, not surprised retention rates are so low,

Great friendly Environment

Working with the staff at LGH is an amazing experience, The work routine is quick , a fast pace . Ive learn a lot about Food handling, preparation and serving. I have gained a lot of experience in the hospitality and long term care environment.

Cons

Great people, great place to work.

There are lots of opportunities in this field at LG Health. Confidentiality is a big thing working at a Health Authority. You could work shift work or an 8-4 work day.

Good coworkers and supporting environment

Paramedics are managed by Rn nursing management so as a result management not realize the challenges the medics having in street for an example it is hospital based paramedic so required to stationed in hospital for 12 hours (called actual working hours) and required to do the ambulance duties and then hospital related duties as helping to nurse in ER , triaging Pts, registering the pts , even clerical works then right after that requires to be on call for next 12 hours (called standby time medics can stay home) at that time if any calls came in medics expected to respond with in 10 mins if no calls came in then which is considered as rest time . So based on this what I am trying to say is, Paramedic jobs is working in the field not in the facility, doing clerical things, security duties and working under the nurses. That is degrading the paramedic position. Nurses,clarks ,maintenance,securities are doing their job excellent in Emergency department and other facilities but comparing the Paramedics and Nurses is like comparing apples and oranges. As a result end of the day Paramedics going to burnt out,depressed and will quit the job. Because of poor management rules against paramedic.

Pros

Supportive nurses, coworkers and other staffs

Cons

Very poor management doesn't consider about employees needs, over worked, staffs might be mandated to take overtime against their will. exhausted

Great staff

Amazing and supportive coworkers. Lacks adequate work space and supports to perform job most effectively. More training opportunities to further advance knowledge is limited.

poor attitude

over worked, pay is far below Canadian average but lack of accommodations and over priced accommodations when you can find one. Poor attitude of employer to new staff and old. not understanding at all. no encouragement, no team work, back biting and managers are petty and never around when you need them.

Take Care of Employees

Take really good care of their employees. Excellent benefits package and friendly staff. Managment is always available to you for questions and support.

Great work place

Good working enviroment with friendly, helpful members of staff. A fairly wide variety of surgical cases to attend to. I found it rewarding from an experience point of view.

an amazing place to work filled with incredible people

very enjoyable place to work. I have learnt from very dedicated heallthcare professionals. Your day may include assisting in the delivery of a newborn to comforting family members whilst grieving for their loved ones.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Labrador-Grenfell Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement