Labrador-Grenfell Health

Labrador-Grenfell Health Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
Some days can be very stressful while others are more relaxed. There is always work to do if you look around you but you need to have initiative and be energetic if you are to be an asset to the team.
Poor organised cooperation
When it come to paramedic department there is no specific management for paramedics. Clinical nurse site manager is the one managing ER nurse, Paramedics and some other department. Its is so difficult to manage three department in same time, maybe because that's why she is doing a terrible job.

I was interviewed by Jan 2020 for the position it was over the phone. Interview was a joke and easy, I ask them what is my duties ? specially when they saying other related duties. They said taking Vitals,ECG, IV cannulation, bring patients to X-ray (portering duties) not limited for ER patients. That was strange to me. In Ontario where I come from, that never happened. We always have separate base and regulated under base hospital Doctors not by ER nurses. Anyways I accept the offer and hung up the phone.

I had a friend working in same service (LGH). I told my situation and ask his/her opinion. I was told working in this LGH paramedic service 90% them treated miserably by management and looking for a good opportunity to move out. When they work in Happy valley goosebay, they were assigned to work in 2 locations about 50kms apart need to use own vehicle to travel back and forth. Shift is 48 to 72 hours including oncall portion. While oncall they pay $2.5/hour If you get callouts only you get over time. Their management is mostly supportive to Nurses. So medics work below the nurses. There was so many things going over there. Frankly speaking management is inefficient.

There are places well recognize our paramedic profession. Work for them and get in to right path.

- more...
Pros
Cons
Terrible experiance
Terrible place to work
I would not recommend for my friend to work in here specially in ER nurse or paramedic unless they have no options. Management is so much unnecessary interference, forcing the staff for working extended hours but NOT PAYING RIGHT PAY. Very tough to get approval for vacations. Management push the staff for the maximum burnout but never care about the staff health being like family life

or PTST etc PTSD,family
Great for Experience
Great for experience and starting out .
Able to do medivacs to costal clinics, work in neighbouring towns, and

Always overtime available due to short staffed.
Great workplace with lots of room for advancement
While working at the Labrador Health Center, I was trained into many different departments, and had plenty of room to advance. Great place to work, and friendly coworkers in all departments.
Hardest part of my job
The hardest part of my job was being trained in so many different locations. Knowing how to do 15 jobs was very stressful. I was a casual call in work so I was pulled for a different job each day of the week. I didn't mind getting called in the last minute as they always give you time to get there in a proficient manner.
The most enjoyable thing about the job was being able to help clients.
Very
Setup all new user network access, and orientating new users to all application. i was Responsible for performing PC configuration and management, network systems engineering, network management, and troubleshooting/repair in a large-scale, multi-facility organization.
Managed, implemented, and maintained a technical helpdesk.

Led periodic technical training seminars directed at hospital staff.

very busy workplace but has a great staff. the hardest part about the job was the travel.
Mediocre - maybe not for me
Not what I expected from a large corporation. Being looked down on by nurses and other "more important" employees was a regular feeling while at work.
Pros
Cons
Hostile Work Enviornment
Great Work Experience
Word day started at 8am until 4pm , great work experience in the health department, Management was almost non existent, left on your own to figure out what your job is and no one to guide you, No training or direction for the first 2 months. My co workers were great and the workplace culture was amazing, very relaxed and slow place environment, I enjoyed going to work everyday and looked forward to learning new things. HR was a nightmare, No face to face orientation or direction, not surprised retention rates are so low,
Great friendly Environment
Working with the staff at LGH is an amazing experience, The work routine is quick , a fast pace . Ive learn a lot about Food handling, preparation and serving. I have gained a lot of experience in the hospitality and long term care environment.
Cons
Great people, great place to work.
There are lots of opportunities in this field at LG Health. Confidentiality is a big thing working at a Health Authority. You could work shift work or an 8-4 work day.
Good coworkers and supporting environment
Paramedics are managed by Rn nursing management so as a result management not realize the challenges the medics having in street for an example it is hospital based paramedic so required to stationed in hospital for 12 hours (called actual working hours) and required to do the ambulance duties and then hospital related duties as helping to nurse in ER , triaging Pts, registering the pts , even clerical works then right after that requires to be on call for next 12 hours (called standby time medics can stay home) at that time if any calls came in medics expected to respond with in 10 mins if no calls came in then which is considered as rest time .

So based on this what I am trying to say is, Paramedic jobs is working in the field not in the facility, doing clerical things, security duties and working under the nurses. That is degrading the paramedic position. Nurses,clarks ,maintenance,securities are doing their job excellent in Emergency department and other facilities but comparing the Paramedics and Nurses is like comparing apples and oranges.

As a result end of the day Paramedics going to burnt out,depressed and will quit the job. Because of poor management rules against paramedic.
Pros
Supportive nurses, coworkers and other staffs
Cons
Very poor management doesn't consider about employees needs, over worked, staffs might be mandated to take overtime against their will. exhausted
Great staff
Amazing and supportive coworkers. Lacks adequate work space and supports to perform job most effectively. More training opportunities to further advance knowledge is limited.
poor attitude
over worked, pay is far below Canadian average but lack of accommodations and over priced accommodations when you can find one.
Poor attitude of employer to new staff and old. not understanding at all. no encouragement, no team work, back biting and managers are petty and never around when you need them.
Great work place
Good working enviroment with friendly, helpful members of staff. A fairly wide variety of surgical cases to attend to. I found it rewarding from an experience point of view.
an amazing place to work filled with incredible people
very enjoyable place to work. I have learnt from very dedicated
heallthcare professionals.

Your day may include assisting in the delivery of a newborn to comforting family members whilst grieving for their loved ones.
Great place to work with room for advancement
On-call a lot, work late hours and early mornings. Good work, keep busy and work without great co-workers.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
being called in at any time day or night
Great team atmosphere!
The professional, supportive, fun, knowledgeable staff made you feel a part of a family. Everyone was kind and non-judgemental and anti-stigma was one of the foundations of our department. We had a very active and invoved manager and our regional director was always approachable and accessible. I learned so much about truley caring for clients and helping them through difficult life situations, as well as supporting those with long term complex mental health needs to maintain themselves in the community.
Pros
feeling of truely helping
Cons
often long hours
cultural experience
Similar working conditions and experiences as with my current emplyer. However, I arranged medi-vacs to Newfoundland via air transport, accompany them and then return to the coastal community to continue my work. I was responsible for dispensing medications as well, similar to that of a local pharmacy.
Pros
experience in remote locations
Cons
using my vacation time, from my current employer to avail of such experiences
a clean and safe enviroment.
a typical day at work involves a very fast pace, of answering directing phone calls, booking appointments for five clinics, arranging travel for staff, booking accomadations,setting up network passwords, entering data, payroll documentations, managing a ledger for debits and credits, vouchers, posting and recieving mail and distributing as required, faxing, photocoping, maintaining and updating files and records, transcribes letters, reports, memos, end of month stats and other related duties as listed in my resume. Work with a many co-workers and get along well with them. I enjoy all aspects of my work.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
demanding job sometimes.