LA Fitness

Canada173 reviews

Clear
2.5Pay & benefits

Found 49 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,655 reviews

Great work environment but paid less for the stress

You get paid the minimum wage and they only pay commission when the amout of commission is more than the minimum wage. So for that you had to 5-6 sales as commisions could range from ($ 25-$80).Had to do lots of cold calling and social media to get 2 sales a day.

Pros

Free membership

Cons

Less pay

Need Better Pay

The pay unfortunately doesn’t match the fast pace field. Your schedule is flexible but remember most people train before and after work so peak hours are (6am to 10am) then (4pm to 9pm).

Pros

Free Membership, Flexible Schedule

Cons

Long hours, Poor Pay.

Insights into LA Fitness

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Low pay, no work life balance

Minimum wage, VPs will tell you you can earn 80-100K a year which is really dependent on the location of your club. If you work at a slower club, don’t rely on any commission for expenses. Scheduled to work 6 days a week, your day off each week will change constantly at the last minute, no work life balance. Staff turn around is insane.

Easy going side job that expects so much

I worked here for nearly 3 years as a personal trainer. Barely got new clients yet was expected to be there all day for 25-minute sessions. As a new PT, this was a good stepping stone but do NOT expect to make enough money to live off. They do not care about clients, once the contract is signed they could care less. As an employee, they could also care less about you. I tried to reach out for more clients- none. If you want to stay there- truly do not get promoted to MT. Sure the pay seems better but they really do not sell many master trainer packages. The manager at my location favoured male trainers over the female ones, if you reached out due to a problem you were having you got radio silence. The pay rate and benefits? A full-on lie, you make trash money and never offered or heard of benefits. Sure, you make your own schedule but they will input people in your off times or you wait 4 hours between sessions. Truly, a nightmare working for this company, and would never recommend it unless you are very fresh and need to gain some experience and even then try somewhere else! I hope this deters people from working here as a trainer- as sales sure. They love the sales team, everyone else... a lost cause.

Pros

chose your own schedule

Cons

Good clients, bad hours and worse pay/training structure

Management was pretty good, facility was nice and clean.But only having 25 minute sessions with clients. Which costs the $56, where you only see $7.50. Is crazy. (Yes that is $15/hr. But if you have a gap between any sessions, you arent paid for it).After dozens of conversations. Not even management knew how to be move from personal trainer to a master trainer (get paid $11.50/session). Don't get any of the baseline data gathered from clients initial session, so have to either redo another assessment and goal setting session (which none of themever want to do)To rven get fulltime hours, need roughly 18 25 minute sessions per day. 5 days per week. Dont get paid to prospect or create programs on your own time. Which envourages using cookie cutter workouts...

Pros

Schedule in clients when you want to work. Get to personal traint

Cons

Only paid when training. Scheduling in clients can be a nightmare, low pay, longshifts, short sessionss

Fun place to work for fitness enthusiasts

LA Fitness was a great opportunity to take my personal fitness goals to another level. It’s exposes you to a variety of clientele and challenges your knowledge of the body and how to effectively communicate the needs and wants of each member.

Pros

Access to a commercial training facility

Cons

Salary

Team oriented world place

Great place for enhancement and to make money but risk family time. Stress of keeping your position by always achieving Club expectations and quotas. Any employee have the same opportunity to to be promoted to assistant and General manager by their ability to produce during pay periods.

Pros

Good money opportunity

Great Environment

LA Fitness has been the most fantastic company that not only I've stepped foot in, but out of every company I've heard of. This doesn't just originate from the flexibility, amazing staff, fantastic environment, payment structure or benefits, but more importantly due to the fact they will recognize, promote, congratulate, isolate and embrace those that decide to work hard and persevere, and do what every it takes to achieve success.

Fast paced competitive

The days are long but if you focus and work hard to hit your quotas, they compensate very well. Also can move up in the company generally quick as they are quickly expanding all throughout Canada.

Great company

LA Fitness gave me a chance and even though I took that opportunity and applied hard work to then be promoted six months in. Showing hard work and passion I felt alot of attention and recognition for my achievements, personal calls from the Vice President to congratulate me, lunches, prizes and so on and so on. I have ADHD so benefits are extremely important considering my medication can cost up to $400 a month With my benefits I pay 10% of that and that's a privilege I receive with this company. as far as mental and physical health days and support from our piers we have is amazing and so humbling. The cons I have are very short and sweet. I feel staff do need to be held more accountable for their actions and more procedures involved with writing up employees when needed. The pay is amazing but the structure of the bonuses of quotas do change frequently and can be frustrating and slightly unfair but at the end of the day the top priority in sales is profit.

You do the most for the least

Breaking your back for minimum wage pay with no chance of advancement nor a raise. You do the most but get paid the least, that's the corporate world for ya. If you really need the money then do it for a little while till you can find something better.

Good Experience Overall

My job is slow paced. I love my co workers. However, the pay and commission isn’t that good in my opinion. But I guess that’s expected from a part time position.

It was nice to associate with some such positive people.

You're working on your own which during the night time as a woman is a little scary because there are some creepy people out there but a lot of the times there was always someone who would look out for you. Another thing is you felt very disposable working there that they would fire you at any given moment even if you didn't do anything wrong. it's just the vibe that it got from it. it was nice working there though because it was a relaxing time as well. you can only make phone calls at certain and during those times you cant you make sure the facility looks clean and tidy which is nice.

Pros

Free gym membership

Cons

Feels like long hours but it's not, no benefits, part time, feeling disposible

Lies and a waste of time, Extreme High Turnover

Subpar management, lack organization and leadership, will say anything for a quick sale but never follow threw. No practice what they preach concept. Zero worklife balance. Not worth ANY salary. Highest turnover ive ever seen.

I go in at 5 am and get home at 10pm. Poor management. Most enjoyable part of the job was to build relationships with clients and watched them succee

Non professional organization that deceived patrons into buying personal training. Trainers works long days but only gets paid for hours training clients. Trainers do all the work while management gets all the credit/ monetary benefits. Just to name a few I haven’t got to the unprofessional behaviour of one specific director at that Brampton West location

terrible

terrible management. worked my butt off for months. Master Personal Trainer did not make over minimum wage. but my managers all get benefits and fancy mercedes. Joke of a business.

Nice place

The job in itself was pretty basic and straightforward however you’re definitely not given many hours and the “checklist” that needs to be done either hourly or bi-hourly is not difficult however finding someone to cover desk is extremely difficult as the “trainers” believe it’s beneath them to watch desk. I enjoyed the hours as I was the opener so 5am starts were good for me but picking up hours is difficult. I ended up working in the child care to pick up hours.

Sucks bIgtime

No advancement , minimum wage and no scope for growth.you will meet a few good people but they dont last long due to nature of this kind of job. Stressful at best

Fun workplace

It's good to be part of the staff of la fitness. I do cleaning and easiest job that i ever had.

Pros

Free membership

Cons

No hours

Front desk is a chill job

I worked front desk and let me say every location has its own environment. At front desk, you get trained the bare minimum and get thrown into it to figure it out by yourself. If you’ve worked customer service before and are good with computers, then it shouldn’t be a problem getting used to it cuz the district operations manager is aloof and lost most of the time. Doesn’t know how to handle member complaints properly. The employee environment is friendly in the north location, and extremely bad in the south as the sales manager currently there has created such an environment where it’s front desk vs sales team. I recommend front desk for students who can work 5am shifts as those shifts are the best in my opinion.

Pros

Free gym membership, work life balance

Cons

Extremely negative environment, no benefits

Fun workplace, Like a family

The team was amazing, however deceived by management and forced to work in a position in which i never applied. Left a much higher paying job to take on a new career only to be placed in another position that left me in incredible debt as it underpaid employees. Then threatened with termination if i did not perform in the position in which I never applied to or was trained for. Was transferred to a location very far from where I had stated i can work with no choice aside from termination. Was forced to seek employment elsewhere. Team was amazing and had lots of great memories, however expected 6 whole days a week from morning till night with "split shifts" of work with nearly half the compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LA Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement