LA Fitness

LA Fitness Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

You're working on your own which during the night time as a woman is a little scary because there are some creepy people out there but a lot of the times there was always someone who would look out for you. Another thing is you felt very disposable working there that they would fire you at any given moment even if you didn't do anything wrong. it's just the vibe that it got from it. it was nice working there though because it was a relaxing time as well. you can only make phone calls at certain and during those times you cant you make sure the facility looks clean and tidy which is nice.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Feels like long hours but it's not, no benefits, part time, feeling disposible
I loved my clients and majority of my coworkers. As for the company itself... not so much. You get clients assigned to you by the department that sells the personal training and if they don't like you or at least the sales manager doesn't then you're way less likely to get clients. This caused many trainers to quit at once at my location. Communication about stuff to trainers i found was limited, your basically expect to train your clients and leave. I also found for what the client pays, you don't make a whole lot and I didn't like that the sessions were only 30 minutes.
you're better off unemployed or doing volunteer work for free not worth the stress for peanuts place is a joke could not stress enough to not even bother with this company
terrible management. worked my butt off for months. Master Personal Trainer did not make over minimum wage. but my managers all get benefits and fancy mercedes. Joke of a business.
District manager is very unprofessional and is known for sleeping around with fellow employees and only promoting employees who agree with him. Also managers tend to steal your commission on sales.
Horrible management. No job security, huge turn over. Had alot of problems from coworkers and when I talked to HR about it they completely ignored and didn’t take action. Female staff feel unsafe working there since they get harassed by members after hours. Everyone gets paid minimum wage, no opportunity to advance. Alot of drama always present. Stay away.
I worked front desk and let me say every location has its own environment. At front desk, you get trained the bare minimum and get thrown into it to figure it out by yourself. If you’ve worked customer service before and are good with computers, then it shouldn’t be a problem getting used to it cuz the district operations manager is aloof and lost most of the time. Doesn’t know how to handle member complaints properly. The employee environment is friendly in the north location, and extremely bad in the south as the sales manager currently there has created such an environment where it’s front desk vs sales team. I recommend front desk for students who can work 5am shifts as those shifts are the best in my opinion.
Pros
Free gym membership, work life balance
Cons
Extremely negative environment, no benefits
Worst job I've ever worked for. super high turnover so you never see the same faces almost weekly. manangement likes to micro manage and are extremely unprofessional work life balance? no they expect you to do nothing but work Management beyond the people who work in the clubs are USELESS oh and no lunch room, no microwave
You wouldn’t get adequate training and, slammed with making other employees phone calls and appointments without getting compensated. Lots of wasted time That would lead to Time theft
Pros
Sit around getting paid
Cons
Boredom
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at LA Fitness?
It's not a bad company to work for but manager it sent very friendly. I have not learnt anything from the company. I got accused of stealing and not doing my job.
Pros
Ggod pay
Cons
Not a very good manager
I had alot of fun working with people's kids playing games with them. I also enjoyed the free gym pass. It was a laid back environment. And I really enjoyed it.
I enjoyed working for this company. There was always new things to learn, and training was always encouraged. Growth within' the company was always there to reach for. Management was amazing and supportive. Home/Work life balance was there, however there would be late evenings like any other job.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
no lunch room
In Sales Dept. at LA Fitness it is a revolving door as a minimum shift is 9 hours (1 unpaid hour for lunch included in there - obligatory) to 11 - hours. 5 days/ week for Sales Councils which is ok; however 6 days/ week for managers. You may feel micromanaged, if you look at it that way however I always liked the accountability aspect of that! I wish to be known as a professional that is productive 90% of the time, therefore, having management look at how I spend my time there worked for me. If you are a sleeper (the military term, not having to do with slumber) but if you like to hide and just warm a chair then you may not like it.
Pros
Independence and GREAT training. Top!
Cons
Work hours were 8-12 and 4-8 Hardest part was being responsible of over 40 children at a time with barely any help. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to teach adolescences and children right from wrong.
Pros
only 4 hour shifts
Cons
only 4 hour shifts
Management does not care about staff at all, it's purely profit driven. Everyone is replaceable, no lunch room, no caring. It's all about the money. Just plainly a bad company.
good company in charge of weekend productivity, leading out side marketing and improvement of club's sales. Trained and hired a lot of the new staff and mentored while moulding them into great sales councillors.
Pros
free membership
Cons
a lot of hours
They pay minimum wage and claim to give bonus but it's nearly impossible to reach. They want you to work long hours and weekends and don't care about anything except getting a sale. Talk to any of the sales or front desk staff and you'll hear how they lose employees like clock work. They use the no contract or no cancel fee as a back door way of making it seem like you're getting some awesome deal but charge a initiation fee which equals out to a cancel fee at any other gym in the province. You need to sell minimum 2 memberships a day or you'll get paid minimum wage. Stay away from this company if you like money cause you won't make any. As for the managment, they don't care what staff has to say. They just pretend they will do something for you but basically wait till you quit or until they can fire you. I've watched employees come in ready and willing to move up in the company only to quit after less then a week cause of the stress and managment. Nobody lasts there and they will say anything to you to make it seem like they care.
Pros
Staff and members
Cons
Terrible pay, long hours, bad managment
Anyone who wants to make a lot of money should work there. Especially if you work out there. it wants me to type more words so that is what I am doing
Hard workers Sales Commission Consistent Training Vice Presidents Regional and District were all amazing allowed personal control over team learned so much about life, sales and success
loved the kids and there parents but the management is ridiculous and did not care about the employees well being at all!
Pros
free membership
Cons
poor management
The pay was garbage, fellow employees talked about their steroid use openly, management was distant and not helpful. Was given little to no training and was expected to sell training to people after using sleezy tactics to get them to meet with you in the first place. Worst job I have ever had.
Cons
Split shifts, management, sales tactics, no training