LA Fitness

LA Fitness Employee Reviews

Canada170 reviews

Found 170 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,619 reviews

Enjoyable But The Activities Directors Make The Job Difficult At Times

I taught classes 3-4x a week. Instructors also aren't allowed to use iPods which makes the job somewhat harder as our music would either have to be on a CD or from the tablet in the studio. Some of the Activities Directors that I encountered did not know the difference between teaching certain formats and also continued to allow other instructors who were doing unsafe exercises in their classes to remain on the schedule. The last AD I dealt with did not care about my availability upon returning to school or about my previous knee injury which led to injuring both knees while teaching indoor cycling.

Low pay, no work life balance

Minimum wage, VPs will tell you you can earn 80-100K a year which is really dependent on the location of your club. If you work at a slower club, don’t rely on any commission for expenses. Scheduled to work 6 days a week, your day off each week will change constantly at the last minute, no work life balance. Staff turn around is insane.

okay

It was a good place to work very chill and good hours. the management is a bit flakey but its a good place to meet likeminded people if you have a passion for fitness

Easy going side job that expects so much

I worked here for nearly 3 years as a personal trainer. Barely got new clients yet was expected to be there all day for 25-minute sessions. As a new PT, this was a good stepping stone but do NOT expect to make enough money to live off. They do not care about clients, once the contract is signed they could care less. As an employee, they could also care less about you. I tried to reach out for more clients- none. If you want to stay there- truly do not get promoted to MT. Sure the pay seems better but they really do not sell many master trainer packages. The manager at my location favoured male trainers over the female ones, if you reached out due to a problem you were having you got radio silence. The pay rate and benefits? A full-on lie, you make trash money and never offered or heard of benefits. Sure, you make your own schedule but they will input people in your off times or you wait 4 hours between sessions. Truly, a nightmare working for this company, and would never recommend it unless you are very fresh and need to gain some experience and even then try somewhere else! I hope this deters people from working here as a trainer- as sales sure. They love the sales team, everyone else... a lost cause.

Pros

chose your own schedule

Cons

Great work environment but paid less for the stress

You get paid the minimum wage and they only pay commission when the amout of commission is more than the minimum wage. So for that you had to 5-6 sales as commisions could range from ($ 25-$80).Had to do lots of cold calling and social media to get 2 sales a day.

Pros

Free membership

Cons

Less pay

Not good

Very toxic group of people working there they self sabotage their own workers. Sales team only out for money don’t care for clients. Pretty dirty facility too

Pros

Cons

Nearly everything

Very simple job that tries to create a busier atmosphere despite being able to almost run itself. -Simple and easy -Lowest allowed pay because its easy

Horrible Gym

Don’t waste your time to apply for this gym, the management are horrible, and they fired me because i want to pick my son from the day care and i told them that before

Pros

No pros

Cons

100 cons

Staff and management

Very great to work for…friendly atmosphere friendly members never stressful We all get along we all do our job and we work together. We get a free membership to work out

fun place to work

Male dominated but if you are a woman with great sales skills , you will do well there . You have to put the time in to get your leads but if you do, your paycheques will reflect your hard work

Pros

atmosphere

Cons

Good clients, bad hours and worse pay/training structure

Management was pretty good, facility was nice and clean.But only having 25 minute sessions with clients. Which costs the $56, where you only see $7.50. Is crazy. (Yes that is $15/hr. But if you have a gap between any sessions, you arent paid for it).After dozens of conversations. Not even management knew how to be move from personal trainer to a master trainer (get paid $11.50/session). Don't get any of the baseline data gathered from clients initial session, so have to either redo another assessment and goal setting session (which none of themever want to do)To rven get fulltime hours, need roughly 18 25 minute sessions per day. 5 days per week. Dont get paid to prospect or create programs on your own time. Which envourages using cookie cutter workouts...

Pros

Schedule in clients when you want to work. Get to personal traint

Cons

Only paid when training. Scheduling in clients can be a nightmare, low pay, longshifts, short sessionss

Fun place to work for fitness enthusiasts

LA Fitness was a great opportunity to take my personal fitness goals to another level. It’s exposes you to a variety of clientele and challenges your knowledge of the body and how to effectively communicate the needs and wants of each member.

Pros

Access to a commercial training facility

Cons

Salary

Team oriented world place

Great place for enhancement and to make money but risk family time. Stress of keeping your position by always achieving Club expectations and quotas. Any employee have the same opportunity to to be promoted to assistant and General manager by their ability to produce during pay periods.

Pros

Good money opportunity

Horrible management

Don't care about their workers, you can go above and beyond for this company and they will slam the door in your face in return. Management is constantly changing as well as workers, it's crazy going into work one week and taking a day off the next and the entire staff will have quit and new ones are there.

Pros

Short hours - easy for students

Cons

Horrible management

Good place to start

Good place to start your career as a trainer but not to maintain one. Friendly staff and co - workers makes it easy to come into work and to have a good time at work.

Great Environment

LA Fitness has been the most fantastic company that not only I've stepped foot in, but out of every company I've heard of. This doesn't just originate from the flexibility, amazing staff, fantastic environment, payment structure or benefits, but more importantly due to the fact they will recognize, promote, congratulate, isolate and embrace those that decide to work hard and persevere, and do what every it takes to achieve success.

Fast paced competitive

The days are long but if you focus and work hard to hit your quotas, they compensate very well. Also can move up in the company generally quick as they are quickly expanding all throughout Canada.

Management is the Worst Part

I loved my clients and majority of my coworkers. As for the company itself... not so much. You get clients assigned to you by the department that sells the personal training and if they don't like you or at least the sales manager doesn't then you're way less likely to get clients. This caused many trainers to quit at once at my location. Communication about stuff to trainers i found was limited, your basically expect to train your clients and leave. I also found for what the client pays, you don't make a whole lot and I didn't like that the sessions were only 30 minutes.

don't do it

you're better off unemployed or doing volunteer work for free not worth the stress for peanuts place is a joke could not stress enough to not even bother with this company

Great company

LA Fitness gave me a chance and even though I took that opportunity and applied hard work to then be promoted six months in. Showing hard work and passion I felt alot of attention and recognition for my achievements, personal calls from the Vice President to congratulate me, lunches, prizes and so on and so on. I have ADHD so benefits are extremely important considering my medication can cost up to $400 a month With my benefits I pay 10% of that and that's a privilege I receive with this company. as far as mental and physical health days and support from our piers we have is amazing and so humbling. The cons I have are very short and sweet. I feel staff do need to be held more accountable for their actions and more procedures involved with writing up employees when needed. The pay is amazing but the structure of the bonuses of quotas do change frequently and can be frustrating and slightly unfair but at the end of the day the top priority in sales is profit.

Worst place to work

You have to do their accounts payable for them and get yelled at by so many people ! My boss was horrible , horrible person who would treat us like idiots ! She has since been fired

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LA Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement