La-Z-Boy Management reviews

Toxic enviornment
Sales (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON27 August 2018
Worked for La Z Boy for close to three years. In order to make a decent living you have to push extended warranties and in-homes. In homes are going out to customers homes with the store designer and designing room purchases. For in homes to qualify they need to purchase at least 10% in tables lamps or accessories. If you don't push these two things you will be making minimum wage because this job is 100% commission based.

New owners and management over last year was the reason for my departure. Owners will do anything they can to save a few bucks at the expense of the employees. If you make even the slightest error during the ordering process they will take half your commission on that item.

There has also been a lot of "misunderstandings" in the past year between sales staff and management. A lot of your pay is based on sales bonuses for completing in homes and reaching your warranty percentages. One thing they are hesitant to tell you though is you have to reach your monthly sales target to get your in home bonus which for 95% of the company is unreachable.
Pros
Occasional free lunches
Cons
Owners and upper management
Bad management
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 June 2018
Terrible management and sales targets are unreasonable. And they expect too much. Even the commission is not even worth your time cause they don't give you that much. Md zero balance in life.
Pros
Free coffee
Inconsistent Messages - Unrealistic Expectations
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 June 2018
The work environment in the store is quite good, the team was amazing! You are however given unrealistic targets, with a company that is unwilling to adapt to modern sales techniques they are being left behind, there is so much potential but change does not happen. Traffic has consistently fallen year after year yet monthly targets go up from 10%-46% over previous years. They make it very difficult to do business from the customer perspective. There are virtually no benefits, you pay nearly $900 a year in premiums and receive a max of $1000 in reimbursement.

Although the team was close, management was quite negative and would literally bully staff about things out of their control.
Pros
The team, product, work environment, wonderful owners.
Cons
management - all levels, severe lack of effective marketing, no changes when needed, no benefits, unrealistic targets.
Unacheiveable sales goals for most
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC12 June 2018
daily pressure to meet unrealistic sales goals. the opportunities to sell customers are few and far between. the merchandise is over priced. too many sales people on the floor. you think you can make good money but you can't. few sales people are making a decent living. you wait and wait for your turn to sell a customer and then they buy a $15 bottle of leather cleaner. the management is young and inexperienced and doesn't know how to motivate in a positive way
Pros
the other sales people are nice to work with
Cons
unrealistic sales goals very hard to meet
Under new management
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2018
Beware, the new manager is a total creep. He is trolling for girlfriends and not real employees. Dates numerous women at the 3 different locations. Recently divorced and a sleaze bag. Stay away from this sinking ship. Who buys this ugly furniture anymore? Brand is dying. Stores are too big, no foot traffic and outdated inventory. Be prepared to be harassed if you apply.
Pros
Good retail working hours
Cons
Find out clients needs and wants and work with client to find a solution that works for them and their home.
Furniture sales of La-Z-Boy, Kincaid and Canadel (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
The responsibility as a salesperson, in my opinion, was your client comes first and foremost. Knowledge of new products, and sales requirements and techniques on the floor. Constantly being evaluated as a salesperson by management. Other responsibilities include invoicing, financing, promoting warranty, delivery, customer complaints and being able to work well with other salespeople. The job also has long hours of particular sales events and salespeople must come to work early to clean their area of the store every work day and be available to stay late for meetings.
Pros
Working with clients to help them find options that work for them and their home
Cons
Long hours, weekends, evenings, customer complaints, sale quota penalties
Welcome to the La-Z-Boy Family
Interior Designer (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON29 October 2017
I have been employed for many years and worked for some of the biggest companies (Hilton and UPS). This company is BY FAR the best run and most positive company I have ever experienced.
The job interviews were respectful, knowledgeable, and efficient. My superior is completely available for any support needed and will obtain any tools I feel are necessary to do my job better. My co workers are all intelligent and energizing. We really do function as a team . Some companies talk about being "Family" but this one really lives up to the concept. If you are willing to earnestly work hard, be humble and make a nice income consider applying. I have found my Forever Job and couldn't be happier!
Pros
Cons
Typical retail irritation, sore feet, cranky customers, nothing really big tho......
straining work environment
service (Former Employee) –  Ontario28 September 2017
Very high tension environment. Employees struggle to work with one another which can cause disputes. Management is at times to busy to work with employees but are very caring people.
Pros
Office Admin experience
Cons
Negative work environment
Okay
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 August 2017
Good people
Poor pay
Not a lot of weekend time off
Not a great amount of ability to move upwards in admin
Management are easy to speak to
Owners are lovely people
Hourly rate is very poor for the amount you are responsible for admin
Started out great
Delivery Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2017
I loved this company for the first 3.5 years there. But there was a huge swing after moving to a new warehouse. I ended up being promised advancement only to then be told I was not doing a good job. Even though I was taking on more and more responsibilities I was never compensated for working harder, and like I said the harder I worked, the more I showed the management I wanted to advance the more I was told I was doing a bad job.
Good company to work for
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 January 2017
Provided on going training
Advancement
Fun & Positive staff
Management was very supportive and provided professional information in order to perform responsabilities
Great place to work at if you dont mind having dirty hands
Warehouse Clerk/ Truck Helper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON17 October 2016
A typical day in the warehouse consists of clean up, preparation and inspection of merchandise for customer orders. Doing inventory as well as helping sales staff and management with other duties. A typical day on the truck consists delivering furniture to customers, addressing customer complaints onsite as well as coordinating with management to resolve any issues. Both general employees and management staff are very friendly. The most enjoyable part of the job is that its never the same pace each day.
Pros
group insurance
Broken Promises
Designs Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 July 2016
La z Boy Ottawa-Kingston tells you they are family oriented but that is a complete fabrication. You must work every weekend both Saturday and Sunday. They over hire and leave it over staff so you only get 2 ups a day. Worse place to work.
Great company to work for they have fantastic choices of top quality furniture
RETAIL HOME COMFORT ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 April 2016
It's a great company to work for every day brings new people with new and interesting desires, furniture and comfort needs! I get to do what I love and that is to help people, no matter what their needs are in this or any other industry! I get to meet people from all levels of personal, professionals, business owners and corporate executives from pretty much every industry and from some so many different walks of lives and different nationalities! I get to know that I have played an important part, in helping them fulfill their desires and satisfy their business needs!
amazing work place with great co-workers
Administration/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
I very much enjoy coming to work on a daily basis, the business has slowed down a lot in the last few months. It has managed to get very boring around here, even when your looking for everything possible to do, this is why i am leaving.
The management here, is incredible, La-z-boy is an amazing place to work, you get along well with your bosses, your co-workers and we all come together as a team to get the job done.
Pros
bbq's on weekends with big sales
Cons
boring evenings, with no work to do
Flexible, fun and challenging
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2016
Typical day would be answering all incoming calls, directing calls to the correct department or person, faxing, filing, courtesy calls and scheduling deliveries. I learned lots there! I learned communication, phone etiquette, some financing, returns etc. The management were respectful and understanding. Co-workers were fun to be around and helpful. The hardest part of the job was trying to handle angry customers that refused to listen. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to learn so much! I learned something new almost everyday. Also, being the first ones to greet the customers was my favourite as well.
Pros
Challenging, interactive and flexible
Cons
Sitting all day long.
Fun workplace
Shipping & recieving, customer service, maitenance (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 January 2015
Great workplace with great management and fun staff! Job will experience high and low times. Stressful between Black Friday and New Years, much more relaxed in the springtime.
Challenging family run work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 August 2014
On any given day my main task is to ensure customers concerns are met and to reaffirm their trust in Lazboy products. I enjoy working cooperatively with the sales and management team to ensure these goals are met. The hardest part of my job is having to tell a customer that they cannot have service with a product as either the warranty has expired or there is no real problem with their furniture. The most enjoyable part of my job is solving a problem for a customer and hearing the joy in their voice when this is achieved. I also enjoy helping the sales staff achieve these results with their customer also.
Pros
Positive co-workers, Great product discounts
Cons
Negative or irate customers that have unrealistic expectations
Lead Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON20 August 2013
opening and closing duties

invoicing, inputting orders into computer for sales staff

schedules

management ok
co-workers ok

hardest part of job was customer complaints
Excellent Atmosphere
Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC23 October 2012
Very credible employees and well-worked management! The staff at
Lazboy treat you well and you are well rewarded for your hard work!
Pros
bonuses
Cons
no cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at La-Z-Boy. Our community is ready to answer.