La-Z-Boy
Here to help
Coronavirus update

La-Z-Boy Pay & benefits reviews: Interior Designer

Interior Designer38 reviews
I was badgered by management to make a certain amount of money in commissions or get fired. I also was recruited from my job to work for them and told i would make more my overall rating of this company is not good.
Pros
Knowledge of their products
Cons
Not enough product to sell to make the money i was use to
Working as an interior designer for la-z-boy for these past 8 years has been enjoyable until last year when they came out with a new business plan and pay structure. As a designer and full time employee I was making a base salary of $42K plus a tiered commission. On average, designers at la-z-boy we’re making up to $55K to $60K yearly. Now with this new plan we’re getting a $11K base salary plus 5% commission. Needless to say that if it’s a slow month (summer months) you’re working a full time schedule up to 48 hours a week and taking home a $500 paycheck after taxes and benefits are taken out. It happened to me more than 5 times. Also you will have to split your sales with your co-workers all the time because customers come back, if they do, when they want. And if you’re not there, it’s a split. There are drama in the store all the time because of this.
Before my responsibilities were going out on design appointments to clients homes, putting together a design presentation and also working as manager on duty at a few times. 80% design, 20% operations. Now because they switched the business plan, to be able to afford it, they went from running a store with 9-11 employees to running a store with 5. They eliminated roles and now as a designer I’m also a Sales Manager, sales associate, cleaning lady, customer service, stock room associate and call center operator (yes, they will have you calling over 100 people in a day to set up appointments for our sales). Now because you’re floor coverage, and manager on duty, you’re not allowed to leave the store on appointments. You’re not
 - more...
Pros
Employees, quality products
Cons
Hours, pay, business set-up, inconsistency, upper management, corporate directors
They have an excellent training program and seem genuinely interested in their employees success. However, pay is low for part-time positions. Designers are required to be a manager as well.
Pros
Training Program
Cons
Low Salary
I really enjoyed working here, didn't seem like work since everyone was so upbeat and ambitious.
Selling was the #1 priority here and your paycheck depends on it.
Pros
Great management
Cons
100% commision base
Sales driven compensation can be rewarding some days....other days not so much.
Pros
Keeps you on your toes
Cons
Limited creative expression
I enjoyed working with the public, enjoyed making clients happy with new designs.
Pros
Learning atmosphere, given the opportunity to make a better compensation through commission
Cons
No medical benefits
I took this job to get sales experience in Interior Design with the hope of being promoted to full-time. Full-time employees work too many hours and little pay so I don't think this would work for me. I am however learning a great deal about the furniture and Design aspects. La-z-boy has a great product and is made in the US which is very important to me and the customers. I do enjoy working with the customers and helping them with their needs. I am not on a commission pay scale but the full time employees are, which I do feel is unfair since we are considered a team and the FT get a commission of overall sales.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
little pay