La-Z-Boy
La-Z-Boy Employee Review

Awful place to work, No managment team, Could not afford to stay

5 May 2012
A Typical day at work, we were asked to move furniture, clean the store, sometimes no breaks or lunch,no customer service, Lazboy used to sell a quality product, however, in the last 5 years they have opened up factories in China, poor quality, they no longer stand behind what they sell, constant complaints from customers, the staff had to deal with. When they closed the plant in Canada, they also stopped making a product of quality, that you could would be proud to sell to anyone.

If you had a bad week and did not sell, you would not get paid, if they did pay you, it was on a draw which had to be paid back.

When the store first opened in Kingston it was a good place to work we had an amazing team of associates, we all did very well, after 5 years the owner fired our General Manager and hired someone who knew nothing about sales or customer service or management, it was hard to stay after that, now the whole staff has been replaced, and the store has really gone downhill, they have a very bad reputation in the area.

I was asked to lie to customers and sell warranties that did not cover specific pieces of furniture, I refused, when you have to compromise your morals and values it is time to move on.
Pros
co-workers when i was there, great team however all have left now
Cons
on your feet all day, limited benefits you have to pay for, long hours, you must come in before you shift starts, no breaks, cleaning the store, moving furniture, damaged product on the floor to sell.
23 June 2016
Same role
Office Administration Assistant (Current Employee) - Kitchener, ON
There is always something going on, here at La Z Boy. Everyday you learn something new. The Staff in super friendly; enough to call them your second family. They're super flexible when you need a day off here and there. Mind you, there is a lot to learn and remember as an Administrative Assistant, but once you've done the same thing 100 times, it all becomes second nature.

Overall, this is a great place to work if you're only looking for part-time, especially for students looking to get admin experience!
3 June 2019
Same location
Administrative Supervisor (Former Employee) - Kingston, ON
Customer service isn't for everyone. Mix that in with the stress of sales and retail and you have LZB. It's a great place to work if you enjoy the challenge of highs some days accompanied by some lows.

LZB Kingston is owned and ran by its head office in Ottawa making some direction from head office difficult for employees. Lack of clear communication and expectations was always an issue.

Day to day tasks were easy and manageable. Assist customers, manage accounts and notes, cash handling, some inventory.

Hardest part of the job: would be trying de-escalating customers over issues you had no control over (example: delivery not happening, weather event, item not shipped on time).

Best part of the job: happy customers, the one's who are polite, smile, and understand you are human and trying your best.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, discount on merchandise
Cons
Irate customers, retail hours
29 October 2017
Same location
Interior Designer (Current Employee) - Kingston, ON
I have been employed for many years and worked for some of the biggest companies (Hilton and UPS). This company is BY FAR the best run and most positive company I have ever experienced.
The job interviews were respectful, knowledgeable, and efficient. My superior is completely available for any support needed and will obtain any tools I feel are necessary to do my job better. My co workers are all intelligent and energizing. We really do function as a team . Some companies talk about being "Family" but this one really lives up to the concept. If you are willing to earnestly work hard, be humble and make a nice income consider applying. I have found my Forever Job and couldn't be happier!
Pros
Cons
Typical retail irritation, sore feet, cranky customers, nothing really big tho......