La-Z-Boy

La-Z-Boy Employee Reviews

Really enjoyed selling the furniture. Great quality and was fun helping clients select what was right for them. I even did fairly well at it. However the staff get very competitive and do whatever they can to downgrade another employee. You need a thick skin and tough attitude to work in that kind of environment.
Pros
Great product, easy to sell, great owners, good training
Cons
managers were not supportive, staff were clickish.
The physical environment was good to work in. Overall the other sales people were good to work for except some of the long term people who have an entitled viewpoint.Management didn't care about employees. Would rarely let people leave early if there was no customer traffic even though not paid hourly only by commission.After initial and very comprehensive training, monthly performance reviews were only to review sales numbers with no other constructive management input. Encouraged a very competitive environment and were constantly firing people. Management played favourites. Enforcement of rules for new people but not long term staff.
NEVER a moment of doubt, fast paced creative environment with guidance. Monthly targets that keep one sharp and productive. Goal and statisic organization! Alone in writing g the sales, yet never by myself in the ordering to delivery process!
Pros
Gift card for bonuses
Cons
Project managing customer complaints
HR is very disorganized, confused & unprofessional. Terrible communicators and not transparent. Reading the GTA employee reviews was very insightful and confirmed my experience. Lots of red flags that indicated that the company is poorly managed.
Pros
Product
Cons
Hr
The company offers great opportunities but the management could be in your way the make it harder to achieve goals that are set by the company ( incomes depend on achieving these goals). They’ll penalize salespersons for making mistake but they’ll make mistakes calculating your commission and if you don’t catch it on time, they’ll tell you that it’s too late so the they’ll keep the money that you work so hard for. This company will find any excuse to teach their salespersons. Some of the managers are dishonest, they cheat and lie to make themselves look good. The income earning from working in here is not worth the stress.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Stressful, unfairness, dishonest management
This is a super stressful job that takes a toll on the personal health and well-being, very little appreciation for what you do from the management (who is under pressure too) and none from the owners, even after continuously investing yourself and paying such a high price to make things happen exactly as they want it. Ever-increasing goals and restrictions to the point of being humiliated, along with decreasing salaries and personal freedom. Constantly changing contracts and commission pay, so less is coming to the employee, more to the owner's pocket. Despite being a franchise and mid-size company, the rules enforced there is typical corporate style, therefore totally dehumanizing. 'Greed' is the most prevalent moving force. The clashes and competition among employees are fueled by never-ending stats, reports, bulletins, and employee-manager meetings about a constant demand to increase sales for actually very very overpriced furniture (and difficult to sell). But wait, to make this more 'interesting', the prices increase 2-3 times a year, so when the customer pays $5000 for a leather sofa for example and encounters a problem, it gets really challenging for the front line workers! And of course, whatever you do, nothing is enough, "more & more" is the slogan of this company. Your new achievement/sales record becomes the next goal. Money is God and employees are just a means to it. People are treated as they are disposable, it is subtle and subversive but it becomes very apparent after the 3th month there. A salesperson is as good as their last month's sale success or - more...
La-Z-Boy is a great place to work for. They are willing to help and teach all those in need that require a job. And help learn the essentials of running a buisness
People are friendly and good place to work but as great management. They did not paid as much use to be. I working with my coworker as well others but owner was not great person as others Company
Working for this company is like working for La-Z-Boy in the 1950’s. I don’t think the company has made a progressive structural change in its history. Considering the sales floor still operates on a commission based system that can only be compared to vultures fighting over the few scraps of meat that walk through the door, there wasn’t a week that went by without some sort of confrontation between sales staff. The managers basically acted like babysitters and mediators in a system that is set up to pin coworkers against one another. In addition to this, a complete lack of proper communication between departments leads to animosity and sometimes complete disregard of requests which end up costing the customers quality service. In addition to this, terrible compensation unless you were to have a middle month as a sales rep. Basically everyone else is underpaid.
Great retail sales environment; positive people; good culture; highly professional. Excellent quality furniture to market; lots of marketing and promotions; constant awareness.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Every weekend
Horrible culture where everything is based on seniority and who you know, their HR is a joke. Pay structure changed to the worse. absolutely the highest turnover rate I've seen within sales and management as well.
Pros
you can be late or leave early.
Cons
the pay and culture
Wonderful people, my manager was awesome. The only issue was financial compensation. No room to move up at the administrative store level. Would go back for more money.
As a commission sales associate, sales goals are aggressive. There is definitely an intense expectation for excellence 100% of the time. The management style here can be intense, but it places a high value on integrity. Plus the other sales associates are some of the most wonderful people you could ever meet, and everyone works to support one another. The absolute best part of working here is the sales training you will receive. I have since worked with dozens of furniture stores across Western Canada and can honestly say the training at La-Z-Boy Edmonton is easily the best by a long shot.
This company doesnt make anyone who doesnt fit their ideal look feel welcomed no matter how great of a worker they are. Not welcoming at all. Cold. Dont work here
Nice Friendly Staff lots of heavy lifting Meeting tight deadlines Organization is Key Typical Day would be uploading delivery orders and Assembling orders as needed to go out for delivery
La-Z-Boy is the best company I have ever worked for when it comes to management and company environment. Everyone is so kind, helpful, and inviting. They make you feel like family when you work there. I have had nothing but a great experience working there and have nothing but good things to say about the company.
Both upper management & work colleagues are amazing. People don’t leave. Pay structure is very good. I have worked at high end establishments that expect you to look after all the ordering, arranging deliveries, customer problems, receiving furniture when it arrives. Lazboy has staff that look after all of this. You do your job...your not expected to do things that are not on your job discription.
Pros
Best place to work.
Cons
Furniture is amazing & mechanism is American made. Every new product that comes in, I would like delivered to my home. My home won’t fit anymore furnishings.
Very much appreciate when i just came to canada they hired me right away and wait for me. I am very thankful for all of the owner of the la-z-boy. Thank you
Customer service isn't for everyone. Mix that in with the stress of sales and retail and you have LZB. It's a great place to work if you enjoy the challenge of highs some days accompanied by some lows. LZB Kingston is owned and ran by its head office in Ottawa making some direction from head office difficult for employees. Lack of clear communication and expectations was always an issue. Day to day tasks were easy and manageable. Assist customers, manage accounts and notes, cash handling, some inventory. Hardest part of the job: would be trying de-escalating customers over issues you had no control over (example: delivery not happening, weather event, item not shipped on time). Best part of the job: happy customers, the one's who are polite, smile, and understand you are human and trying your best.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, discount on merchandise
Cons
Irate customers, retail hours
I enjoy my work with La-Z-Boy. Work with a very supportive crew. Lively and fun. I have had many opportunities with the company and when some did not work out as planned I was welcomed back to my original department with open arms.
Inclusive environment and understanding staff. Management is understanding to predicates employees face and eager to help all. Hours were lower then anticipated but pay was good.
  1. Employee reviews