La-Z-Boy Employee Reviews

Great Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2018
It was a great company to work for and would work there again. I enjoyed everyone I worked along with and we all acted as one family. Definitely a family culture.
Toxic enviornment
Sales (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON27 August 2018
Worked for La Z Boy for close to three years. In order to make a decent living you have to push extended warranties and in-homes. In homes are going out to customers homes with the store designer and designing room purchases. For in homes to qualify they need to purchase at least 10% in tables lamps or accessories. If you don't push these two things you will be making minimum wage because this job is 100% commission based.

New owners and management over last year was the reason for my departure. Owners will do anything they can to save a few bucks at the expense of the employees. If you make even the slightest error during the ordering process they will take half your commission on that item.

There has also been a lot of "misunderstandings" in the past year between sales staff and management. A lot of your pay is based on sales bonuses for completing in homes and reaching your warranty percentages. One thing they are hesitant to tell you though is you have to reach your monthly sales target to get your in home bonus which for 95% of the company is unreachable.
Pros
Occasional free lunches
Cons
Owners and upper management
Bad management
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 June 2018
Terrible management and sales targets are unreasonable. And they expect too much. Even the commission is not even worth your time cause they don't give you that much. Md zero balance in life.
Pros
Free coffee
Inconsistent Messages - Unrealistic Expectations
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 June 2018
The work environment in the store is quite good, the team was amazing! You are however given unrealistic targets, with a company that is unwilling to adapt to modern sales techniques they are being left behind, there is so much potential but change does not happen. Traffic has consistently fallen year after year yet monthly targets go up from 10%-46% over previous years. They make it very difficult to do business from the customer perspective. There are virtually no benefits, you pay nearly $900 a year in premiums and receive a max of $1000 in reimbursement.

Although the team was close, management was quite negative and would literally bully staff about things out of their control.
Pros
The team, product, work environment, wonderful owners.
Cons
management - all levels, severe lack of effective marketing, no changes when needed, no benefits, unrealistic targets.
Unacheiveable sales goals for most
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC12 June 2018
daily pressure to meet unrealistic sales goals. the opportunities to sell customers are few and far between. the merchandise is over priced. too many sales people on the floor. you think you can make good money but you can't. few sales people are making a decent living. you wait and wait for your turn to sell a customer and then they buy a $15 bottle of leather cleaner. the management is young and inexperienced and doesn't know how to motivate in a positive way
Pros
the other sales people are nice to work with
Cons
unrealistic sales goals very hard to meet
Opportunity for income
Design Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC29 March 2018
Can be a good living if you are competitive and sales driven. Environment depends on who owns and operates the store you work at. Must be good at sales
Under new management
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2018
Beware, the new manager is a total creep. He is trolling for girlfriends and not real employees. Dates numerous women at the 3 different locations. Recently divorced and a sleaze bag. Stay away from this sinking ship. Who buys this ugly furniture anymore? Brand is dying. Stores are too big, no foot traffic and outdated inventory. Be prepared to be harassed if you apply.
Pros
Good retail working hours
Nice people, Easy
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 January 2018
Nice place to work, can get stressful at time. Good place to learn administrative tasks because the receptionist do a lot more then they are paid for.
Pros
Hours, atomosphere is calm, location, discount
Cons
No benefits, not paid enough hourly for degree of work
Find out clients needs and wants and work with client to find a solution that works for them and their home.
Furniture sales of La-Z-Boy, Kincaid and Canadel (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
The responsibility as a salesperson, in my opinion, was your client comes first and foremost. Knowledge of new products, and sales requirements and techniques on the floor. Constantly being evaluated as a salesperson by management. Other responsibilities include invoicing, financing, promoting warranty, delivery, customer complaints and being able to work well with other salespeople. The job also has long hours of particular sales events and salespeople must come to work early to clean their area of the store every work day and be available to stay late for meetings.
Pros
Working with clients to help them find options that work for them and their home
Cons
Long hours, weekends, evenings, customer complaints, sale quota penalties
good place to work and stay in shape
Delivery Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 December 2017
la z boy is a great company to wrok for over all. they provide good benefits, vacation pay, fair hourly wage, room for advancement and the managment are great people.,
Great family run business with good core values.
Merchandising and Design Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 December 2017
Was able to advance into different positions and have had many opportunities within the years I spent there. Enjoyed all the friends I have made and the knowledge I've gained have truly made me a better person.
Welcome to the La-Z-Boy Family
Interior Designer (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON29 October 2017
I have been employed for many years and worked for some of the biggest companies (Hilton and UPS). This company is BY FAR the best run and most positive company I have ever experienced.
The job interviews were respectful, knowledgeable, and efficient. My superior is completely available for any support needed and will obtain any tools I feel are necessary to do my job better. My co workers are all intelligent and energizing. We really do function as a team . Some companies talk about being "Family" but this one really lives up to the concept. If you are willing to earnestly work hard, be humble and make a nice income consider applying. I have found my Forever Job and couldn't be happier!
Pros
Cons
Typical retail irritation, sore feet, cranky customers, nothing really big tho......
straining work environment
service (Former Employee) –  Ontario28 September 2017
Very high tension environment. Employees struggle to work with one another which can cause disputes. Management is at times to busy to work with employees but are very caring people.
Pros
Office Admin experience
Cons
Negative work environment
Okay
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 August 2017
Good people
Poor pay
Not a lot of weekend time off
Not a great amount of ability to move upwards in admin
Management are easy to speak to
Owners are lovely people
Hourly rate is very poor for the amount you are responsible for admin
Learned alot: provided excellent training and development
Unanonymous (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 August 2017
Company was great to work for, they appreciated their staff. They provided learning and development. They are not organizationally structured to allow for enough advancement.
excellent company
Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 May 2017
working with interior designer and conducting in-home visits and measurements
presentation and design concept for the rooms
consulting customers in custom made furniture
enjoyable
Assistant Store Manager/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 April 2017
This was a fun place to work when I was employed there. I really cannot comment on how it is now, as there are new owners and all new faces It would not be fair to them to comment
Pros
2 days off consecutively
Cons
worst company I have ever had the honor of working for
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 April 2017
honestly this company is worth a review but I have no choice but to write atleast 150 minimum characters so here i am wasting that space just as they wasted my time
Pros
they treat you like garbage
Cons
get ready to be treated like a 3rd class citizen with these guys
Started out great
Delivery Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2017
I loved this company for the first 3.5 years there. But there was a huge swing after moving to a new warehouse. I ended up being promised advancement only to then be told I was not doing a good job. Even though I was taking on more and more responsibilities I was never compensated for working harder, and like I said the harder I worked, the more I showed the management I wanted to advance the more I was told I was doing a bad job.
good company
General Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 February 2017
The store you work at is dependent on who owns the store. Some owners are great to work for while others forget it. I suggest you do your homework. The product is good and great care is taken to ensure stores are great decorating resources.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at La-Z-Boy. Our community is ready to answer.