L'Hopital d'Ottawa Employee Reviews

difficult for advancement
Database/Admin/Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 August 2018
8 years of employment. Very controversial environment. Many management issues. Enjoyed patient care very much and specific colleagues. I would suggest better employ support
Hard work good people
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 August 2018
Always worked with great people, but unless you are single without a family the work life balance is lacking - often short staffed, vacation requests denied etc.
Hard work
ACC Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 June 2018
Great with a gym in the basement for a stressful day at work, working for other coworkers, workload ...
I have SMS computer work, OASIS blood and diagnostic imaging duties along with right fax and regular faxing of prescriptions, tests... CCIS computer work that showed us the other hospital's status of beds available for transfers or discharges...
The easiest part of the job is going down the stairs to go to the first floor in order to get the mail and distribute the envelopes, boxes to the doctor's offices or research nurses or nurses offices.
The hardest part of the job was trying to obtain an ambulance for the Heart Institute or for the Burn Unit or to go to Cornwall or other institutions. I learned how to work in a fast paced environment by multi-tasking and doing many things like answering the phone and opening the doors for visitors at the same time as I was wearing a headset to talk on the telephone . The managers were busy with many emails and about 100 nurses to monitor. I enjoyed the coworkers and the volunteers and the beautiful skylights bringing the sun in the office as it was the new state of the art desk.
Pros
Gym in the basement
Highly reccomended.
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 June 2018
Staff members are very helpful at the Ottawa Hospital When you are hired, you are asked to complete a corporate orientation. This allows you to really understand the Ottawa Hospitals vision. Both my managers where and are superb. They offer great leadership skills and work with you into becoming the best employee that you can. For all positions within this organization, they offer competitive salaries.

Overall, I strongly recommend applying for any position at The Ottawa Hospital.
Pros
Competitive Salary
Great place to work.
Supply Distribution Attendant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 June 2018
This is one of the best places to work. Lovely people, great work environment. I enjoy the fact that I am working with the community and I feel like I have a great sense of purpose at my job.
Busy work environment
Stakeholder Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2018
Worked on a project here and it was managed very well. Great team dynamics, hard work across the board. Would be happy to stay with them long term, they are good to their people - but be warned, parking is a major problem.
Fun environment, but a boring job
Communications Integrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 April 2018
The hospital environment is a lot of fun. There are so many people, lively and never a boring quiet day. The staff is amazing too. The job on the other hand was quite depressing, being the only one working on the project. Difficult because there isn't anyone to bounce ideas off of. Worst of all, it's funding work. If the funds run out, so does the job.
A good place to work.
Executive Assistant to Chief, Medical Imaging (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2018
Difficult to find full-time positions in administration. The requirement for bilingualism when French is rarely spoken in the office or by management.
Pros
Employee Appreciation Day
Cons
Work your heart out without support from management.
Friendly
Consultant - Process Improvement (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2018
Overall a good experience however their technology is outdated and makes efficiency a challenge. There is a lot of politics so opportunity for advancement is limited.
Pros
Friendliness
Cons
Stale-dated processes leading to boring work
Great opportunities
MEDICAL RADIATION TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 April 2018
Like any unionized work environment the opportunities of advancement are very minor and a siloed complacent culture sets in. Great working environment other than that.
Pros
great people
Cons
shift work
Nice working here
Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 April 2018
good place to find stable work. The people are a good and the benefits are equally good also. I enjoy working here very much and would suggest others to apply.
Pharmacy student
Pharmacy Student (clinical rotations) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 January 2018
This is a teaching hospital so there was a lot of emphasis on teaching students which made for a very good experience. I found that all members of the team very open to questions. Very clinical work and residency typically is required to find a job here.
A progressive, high quality leader in healthcare
Director Health Professions Education (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 November 2017
This organization is passionate about quality of care, patient and staff safety.

A positive workplace culture that supports learning and development.
The highs and lows
Rehabilitation Assistant - casual (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 October 2017
One of my favourite aspects of being in the health care industry is working with the public. I love being around people and helping them out the best way I know how. I am happy to be part of a team that communicates well and helps each other grow.
Pros
Very resourceful team!
Cons
Difficult to find full time permanent position.
A fast paced, professional workplace with an amazing team.
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 September 2017
A typical day at work for me would consist of answering inbound and outbound phone calls, paging doctors/ services for callers, updating profiles, and looking up patient information. The job involves a person who can handle high call volumes and work under pressure well, and someone who is able to multi-task all while inputing the right information in the database. I have an excellent management team and the workplace is a great place for someone who enjoys insisting others, and learning new things about the hospital and health care system. The job can be stressful when a code is being called, but it helps to have a team of people who are willing to assist you. The best part of my job is that i get to help people. I am very passionate about helping others any way that I can.
Pros
hospital benefits
Cons
weekend shifts
Has its ups and downs
Catering Aide (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 September 2017
Can be very lovely to work with catering. Casual positions are only available (shifts are known about a day in advance) unless you are hired by the office. There is little to no movement in this section and the hourly rate is ok. However, because there is no increase in wages from year to year and the work schedule is unpredictable some of the longtime employees are very defensive about "their hours" and whether or not you are taking them.

I am currently looking to leave due to the petty and passive aggressive actions I hear about often and the unpredictability.
Pros
Free food occasionally, fun atmosphere, get to see cool events
Cons
long hours, unpredictable schedule, toxic work culture
Excellent place to learn and grow
Technical Systems Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 September 2017
Being such a large hospital, TOH exposes me to an enormous range of technology and technical projects that would be difficult to find anywhere else.

Colleagues are fantastic, management is supportive and available. Excellent place to work, and great to know that quality healthcare is available when needed.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Extreme lack of staff parking
Resources in place to complete my work effectively. Clear hierarchy. Excellent life/work blalance in shift work only.
RN (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 September 2017
Excellent work environment for shift work RN. Work beyond bedside RN not worth the effort.

I have always felt supported as a bedside RN. In any work beyond that, more was expected of me than was reasonable and I was no longer supported by management. Further than bedside RN I felt my licence jeopardized.
Pros
Resources available to complete bedside role.
Cons
Further in career beyond bedside RN challenging and not with the extra effort.
Patient Care
Patient Sitter (Current Employee) –  The Ottawa Hospital23 July 2017
I got to meet different cases of patients, some with alzheimer and some who just got out of a heart surgery. It was an great helping nurses accommodate to their patients, I also got to help with unexpected work especially in the ER, I was assisting a doctor and a nurse with a patient. I got to experience different hospitals intercom codes. Loved working in a fast paced yet independent workflow.
good pay, odd hours
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 June 2017
Very good pay. Not great hours, shift work. Work culture is less than desirable. Some great coworkers and some really terrible ones. The union was strong, so sometimes bad employees management couldn't get rid of.
Pros
good pay
Cons
shift work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L'Hopital d'Ottawa. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2