L'Hopital d'Ottawa Employee Reviews

Not bad not great
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 January 2019
Lots of promises no follow through. More management from outside of the hospital have to be hired and less unqualified managers should be promoted for the hospital to grow a stronger workplace.
Fun
Shadowing Physicians (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 January 2019
Was a great experience working with doctors and physician assistants.

I loved every part of this job, including learning about where each room of the hospital was located
Many opportunities for nurses
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ottawa Civic10 January 2019
It depends what area you work in. The medicine units and surgery units are so busy and management are always checking up on you. I have heard working in geriatrics and day surgery are less stressful.

Civic hospital is old and dirty and patient rooms are small and crowded. Only shower for about 30 patients.
challenging but rewarding workplace
Registered Nurse at the Ottawa Hospital (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 December 2018
Currently I deal with all kinds of people from the community. I work on a medicine floor which means that we will have anyone come in from young to old, and with a vast variety of illnesses. My role is a nurse on the floor, as well as often being a charge nurse. I have had many leadership opportunities and many learning experiences.
Not enough experience to review completely
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 December 2018
I have had a difficult adjustment period here and eventually had to leave for health reasons. Management etc... very supportive but some issues arose with other staff
Team oriented and a great place to work
LOGISTICAL SERVICES - TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 November 2018
I really enjoy coming into work every day. I have a great group of colleagues and we all work really well together. I have learned many skills in this career. I have learned that you need to be organized and meticulous when working in this line of work because there are timelines that have to be met as well as making sure the patients are taken care of. This career has helped me improve my time management skills as well as given me a sense of accomplishment every single day.
Pros
Building a great network
Cons
It can be very physical and tough on your body
SPD Needed Better Management
Transportation Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 November 2018
SPD used to be a great place to work until they changed management and everything went down the tubes; morale was lost, communication was hindered and management worked against employees' as opposed to alongside employees for the betterment of the patients. I don't know how it is now, but that's how it was before I left.
Pros
Pay rate.
Cons
Management and lack of communication and direction.
Rewarding job environment, good gateway into the Hospital Job Market
Medical Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 November 2018
Work load is easy to manage & staffing goes the extra mile to make sure your work/life are well balanced. Salary is fair. Management is polite and fast to reply to inquiries. Job advancement is seniority based, even if newer employees present greater assets. However, being unionized, your Job is secure for the long run, with position shuffling for casual / temporary staff. Work environment is mostly friendly, and coworkers work as a team. The Hospital's mission of treating patients like they're family is followed through daily, and ethics are maintained well. I personally had some experience with some staff members entering petty arguments, but it is resolved by management within a few weeks.
Pros
Training provided, high salary (for a clerk), friendly coworkers
Cons
Fast paced work environment, one must be prepared to work back-to-back 12-hour shifts
Great place to work, supportive management, amazing colleagues
SOCIAL WORKER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 October 2018
For inpatient Social Workers at The Ottawa Hospital, our main focus is collaboration with the patient and allied health team to arrange discharge plans for patients once they leave the Hospital.

TOH very much encourages a positive workplace culture. The job is fast paced and high volume, but management is always available for support.
Loved working there
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 September 2018
Sadly had to leave for another province for my spouse. Loved working there. Worked on the 8th floor.. Great staff, management.
If we ever go back to Ottawa, I will, with no hesitation, try to get work there again !

Want to know more about L'Hopital d'Ottawa?

Ask a question
Value driven workplace
EVP, Strategy & Transformation (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada25 September 2018
The Ottawa Hospital in a pillar in the Ottawa region for Healthcare leadership and research. The organization is actively led by the CEO, Dr. Jack Kitts, who is highly visible and compassionate about employees and the Hospitals role in the community.
HEMODIALYSIS CLERK (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 September 2018
The Ottawa Hospital is a great place to work with lots of support from management and peers. Expect a fast pace environment with ever changing conditions and constant learning. The job can be stressful at times but rewarding. Appreciation is shown to those who preform their duties as expected and complete tasks on time. Loved working at TOH!
Pros
Supportive team who assist each other and share workload.
Cons
Nothing negative to say
Staffing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2018
the TOH creates a very kind atmosphere focused on the happiness and health of their patients, as well as their staff.
The management team for staffing is incredible people who strive to ensure the workplace is always positive, and do their best to help out whenever needed.
I used to be proud to work at The Ottawa Hospital (TOH)
Team Lead of Medical Transcription, Health Records (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 September 2018
Professionalism and dedication to quality transcription were once valued by this organization. However, today the bottom line is the amount of money required to accomplish clinical documentation. Quality documentation is no longer a valued asset.
Pros
ability to work remotely
Cons
medical transcriptionists are not valued
Protection officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 August 2018
Good place to work, always get paid on time, good management. I've been there for close to 10 years and would stay longer if it wasn't for lack of advancement within my field
difficult for advancement
Database/Admin/Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 August 2018
8 years of employment. Very controversial environment. Many management issues. Enjoyed patient care very much and specific colleagues. I would suggest better employ support
Hard work good people
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 August 2018
Always worked with great people, but unless you are single without a family the work life balance is lacking - often short staffed, vacation requests denied etc.
CASUAL STAFFING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 June 2018
Phone calls, emails, filling sick leave and vacation requests. Flexible hours as a casual employee, advancement options, as well as lateral moves if necessary.
Hard work
ACC Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 June 2018
Great with a gym in the basement for a stressful day at work, working for other coworkers, workload ...
I have SMS computer work, OASIS blood and diagnostic imaging duties along with right fax and regular faxing of prescriptions, tests... CCIS computer work that showed us the other hospital's status of beds available for transfers or discharges...
The easiest part of the job is going down the stairs to go to the first floor in order to get the mail and distribute the envelopes, boxes to the doctor's offices or research nurses or nurses offices.
The hardest part of the job was trying to obtain an ambulance for the Heart Institute or for the Burn Unit or to go to Cornwall or other institutions. I learned how to work in a fast paced environment by multi-tasking and doing many things like answering the phone and opening the doors for visitors at the same time as I was wearing a headset to talk on the telephone . The managers were busy with many emails and about 100 nurses to monitor. I enjoyed the coworkers and the volunteers and the beautiful skylights bringing the sun in the office as it was the new state of the art desk.
Pros
Gym in the basement
Highly reccomended.
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 June 2018
Staff members are very helpful at the Ottawa Hospital When you are hired, you are asked to complete a corporate orientation. This allows you to really understand the Ottawa Hospitals vision. Both my managers where and are superb. They offer great leadership skills and work with you into becoming the best employee that you can. For all positions within this organization, they offer competitive salaries.

Overall, I strongly recommend applying for any position at The Ottawa Hospital.
Pros
Competitive Salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L'Hopital d'Ottawa. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2