L'Hopital d'Ottawa Employee Reviews

Fun environment, but a boring job
Communications Integrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 April 2018
The hospital environment is a lot of fun. There are so many people, lively and never a boring quiet day. The staff is amazing too. The job on the other hand was quite depressing, being the only one working on the project. Difficult because there isn't anyone to bounce ideas off of. Worst of all, it's funding work. If the funds run out, so does the job.
A good place to work.
Executive Assistant to Chief, Medical Imaging (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2018
Difficult to find full-time positions in administration. The requirement for bilingualism when French is rarely spoken in the office or by management.
Pros
Employee Appreciation Day
Cons
Work your heart out without support from management.
Friendly
Consultant - Process Improvement (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 April 2018
Overall a good experience however their technology is outdated and makes efficiency a challenge. There is a lot of politics so opportunity for advancement is limited.
Pros
Friendliness
Cons
Stale-dated processes leading to boring work
Great opportunities
MEDICAL RADIATION TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 April 2018
Like any unionized work environment the opportunities of advancement are very minor and a siloed complacent culture sets in. Great working environment other than that.
Pros
great people
Cons
shift work
Nice working here
Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 April 2018
good place to find stable work. The people are a good and the benefits are equally good also. I enjoy working here very much and would suggest others to apply.
Pharmacy student
Pharmacy Student (clinical rotations) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 January 2018
This is a teaching hospital so there was a lot of emphasis on teaching students which made for a very good experience. I found that all members of the team very open to questions. Very clinical work and residency typically is required to find a job here.
A progressive, high quality leader in healthcare
Director Health Professions Education (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 November 2017
This organization is passionate about quality of care, patient and staff safety.

A positive workplace culture that supports learning and development.
The highs and lows
Rehabilitation Assistant - casual (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 October 2017
One of my favourite aspects of being in the health care industry is working with the public. I love being around people and helping them out the best way I know how. I am happy to be part of a team that communicates well and helps each other grow.
Pros
Very resourceful team!
Cons
Difficult to find full time permanent position.
A fast paced, professional workplace with an amazing team.
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 September 2017
A typical day at work for me would consist of answering inbound and outbound phone calls, paging doctors/ services for callers, updating profiles, and looking up patient information. The job involves a person who can handle high call volumes and work under pressure well, and someone who is able to multi-task all while inputing the right information in the database. I have an excellent management team and the workplace is a great place for someone who enjoys insisting others, and learning new things about the hospital and health care system. The job can be stressful when a code is being called, but it helps to have a team of people who are willing to assist you. The best part of my job is that i get to help people. I am very passionate about helping others any way that I can.
Pros
hospital benefits
Cons
weekend shifts
Has its ups and downs
Catering Aide (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 September 2017
Can be very lovely to work with catering. Casual positions are only available (shifts are known about a day in advance) unless you are hired by the office. There is little to no movement in this section and the hourly rate is ok. However, because there is no increase in wages from year to year and the work schedule is unpredictable some of the longtime employees are very defensive about "their hours" and whether or not you are taking them.

I am currently looking to leave due to the petty and passive aggressive actions I hear about often and the unpredictability.
Pros
Free food occasionally, fun atmosphere, get to see cool events
Cons
long hours, unpredictable schedule, toxic work culture
Excellent place to learn and grow
Technical Systems Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 September 2017
Being such a large hospital, TOH exposes me to an enormous range of technology and technical projects that would be difficult to find anywhere else.

Colleagues are fantastic, management is supportive and available. Excellent place to work, and great to know that quality healthcare is available when needed.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Extreme lack of staff parking
Resources in place to complete my work effectively. Clear hierarchy. Excellent life/work blalance in shift work only.
RN (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 September 2017
Excellent work environment for shift work RN. Work beyond bedside RN not worth the effort.

I have always felt supported as a bedside RN. In any work beyond that, more was expected of me than was reasonable and I was no longer supported by management. Further than bedside RN I felt my licence jeopardized.
Pros
Resources available to complete bedside role.
Cons
Further in career beyond bedside RN challenging and not with the extra effort.
Patient Care
Patient Sitter (Current Employee) –  The Ottawa Hospital23 July 2017
I got to meet different cases of patients, some with alzheimer and some who just got out of a heart surgery. It was an great helping nurses accommodate to their patients, I also got to help with unexpected work especially in the ER, I was assisting a doctor and a nurse with a patient. I got to experience different hospitals intercom codes. Loved working in a fast paced yet independent workflow.
good pay, odd hours
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 June 2017
Very good pay. Not great hours, shift work. Work culture is less than desirable. Some great coworkers and some really terrible ones. The union was strong, so sometimes bad employees management couldn't get rid of.
Pros
good pay
Cons
shift work
Amazing for the soul
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 June 2017
As a volunteer at for The Ottawa Hospital, I got to do what I love best; be at the service of others. I met so many great people and learned so much as I observed nurses on my free time. It has truly been an honor to give back to my community.
Valuable workplace
PATIENT FOOD ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 June 2017
Prepare and serve food to patients is the most enjoyable part of the job. There is no hard part of this job. I've learned how to be humble, compassionate.
Please read my resume
Protection Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 June 2017
I presently work for The Ottawa Hospital where my main duties included responding to code whites (violent patients), code red (fire alarms), assisting patients, issuing parking tickets and transferring the diseased to the appropriate locations. I have a great understanding of the Use of Force, Criminal Code and the Trespass to Property Act.
Pros
High rate of pay
Cons
I only work 24 hours a week
Vibrant work environment.
Administrative Assistant-Secretary III (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2017
Excellent opportunity for advancement, to improve educational skills, and an exciting location to work at with many challenging environments. Opportunity to meet and work with all types of clinicians and gain great experience in different professions.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Extra workload due to staffing shortages.
Volunteer position
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
Volunteer position
volunteer co-ordinator well organized
Staff friendly, approachable and appreciative of volunteers
One of the reasons I volunteered was to obtain exposure and experience in a medical office environment for future employment.
The volunteer placement did not meet my needs.
Good hours, great management
Registered Nurse - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 April 2017
I have had nothing but a positive work experience. I'm lucky to have a great manager! Lots of education opportunities too! Coworkers are all very helpful and understanding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at L'Hopital d'Ottawa. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2