Kwantlen Polytechnic University Employee Reviews

great team member but management is lacking current skills
Systems Support Technologist (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC12 July 2018
Great team as we support one another. Unfortunatly the management isn't there to support us in gaining additional knowledge and skill set. Most management can't be looked up to as a mentor as they don't understand the technologies we're dealing with. Some newer management that that has come into other areas of the university are starting to make positive changes.
Pros
close to home
Cons
not the greatest management
Energetic and supportive work site
Temporary Instructor -Foundation Plumbing (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC9 April 2018
I enjoyed the personal interaction with the students and faculty members. I felt supported and included in my interactions with the Dean and staff members
Productive and a fun place to work
IT Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC21 February 2018
Gained practical knowledge in IT field by working as an IT lab assistant. Learned how to deploy workstations, routers, and switches. Troubleshoot network, software, and hardware issues.
Not very fun
Auxiliary Horticulture Field Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC30 December 2017
Had conflict and was bullied by a co-worker. Did not feel accepted or appreciated. Was difficult to penetrate existing group of employees and feel included.

Flexible work week allowed for great work life balance with having children.

Salary was mediocre.

Good opportunity to learn.
Pros
Flexible work week
Cons
Co-workers
Helped to build my network
Part-Time Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC24 November 2017
-Was able to connect with peers and faculty on a day to day basis
-Opened a new perspective on my degree while working within the faculty of design
-I was able to get insights from classmates in years ahead of me which helped me broaden my knowledge of products and projects
Great team in the School of Business Dean's office
Associate Dean's Assistant (Contract Position) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 November 2017
The management team in particular is very strong and has a great sense of humor which helps build a strong sense of appreciation for being at work every day.
Excellent management
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 July 2017
Great place to work while studying towards my degree. Great supervisors who were flexible and gave me more challenging tasks than I would get if I had no experience as a Library Technician.
Typical Day
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 June 2017
hile working at the learning center of KPU, I helped an average of 10 tutees every week and fulfill the needs of the tutees in the fast-paced environment. I directly worked with students resolving course-related inquiries. I have also organized international student’s workshops in the learning center independently.
very rewarding when students see the light of what they are doing
Temporary full time instructor (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale campus Surrey BC11 May 2017
10 minutes minimum in classroom then on to shop floor for practical experience. the day goes fast giving advice and doing demos of welds. evaluating welds for acceptance and progress in training. the hardest part of the job is having to watch what you are doing and to explain what students should be seeing as it should all be muscle memory and you should not have to think about what you are doing
Pros
short work day high pay rate
Tutor
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 April 2017
It was a temporary position with few hours a week and the pay is not minimum. The position is good on the resume. My supervisor was super nice and supportive. There was sufficient training and support.
Pros
Good on resume
Cons
Few hours with little pay
Good co-workers, great culture
International Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 March 2017
I worked at KPU for a period of about 2 years as an International Support Assistant, being part of the International Admissions and Recruitment Team. We used BANNER System as our main tool and kept track of a series of procedures concerning prospective and applying students.
Pros
Friendly environment, benefits.
Cons
Lack of training in some areas.
Temporary Position
GIS Lab Assistant - Geography Department (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 February 2017
My position was only as a student assistant, but working for the university was a great experience. They didn't pay well, but they were great at working around my school workload.
Pros
Good Atmosphere
Cons
Low pay
rewarding experience
Welding Instructor/Inspector (Former Employee) –  BC9 February 2017
It was nice working for this University and teaching all different classes in the welding program for the BC government as well as acting as an inspector for CWB and examining welders.
I met a lot of people and was able to help students trough my contact to obtain jobs in the different companies where I had developed a relationship .
Pros
rewarding experience
Cons
changing different classes and time
productive to learn
Coordinator for volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 December 2016
Great to work and being a part of the school and the orientation team. Worked in a team environment with other volunteers to promote and execute various student-run events on the campus
Organizing, Planning, and Quiet
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 September 2016
1. I learned alot about planning and organizing as I worked as a library assistant
2. I got to work privately, but monitored by the manager
3. I got to help mini projects for the manager
4. I got to enjoy working privately and set schedule for each shifts
Pros
time goes fast
Cons
short hour shift
Part time position
Lab assistant (student) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 June 2016
This was a part time position for students only and I did it while taking some IT courses. It was a flexible job but very low income.
Learned about imaging workstations for different curriculum.
Pros
Flexible job
Cons
Low income
Very engaging but also laid-back employment.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC25 May 2016
Working at Kwantlen Polytechnic University has been both flexible and positive overall. As a Student Assistant I maintained the space in the Aboriginal Gathering Place as a receptionist, and a lot of the day was just basic clerical duties, maintaining the space and working with the coordinator. Events would happen and a lot of students would use the space to study. This was really not too difficult to handle, and the scheduling was always incredibly flexible.
Reliable, dedicated and motivated
Assistant Instructor, Anthropology (Former Employee) –  Boston Bar, BC25 April 2016
I will work hard to further your company's goals and develop valuable programming to further the positive view of your company.
Good student job, worth the experience
Mathematics and Chemistry Tutor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 April 2016
Helping other students is a very rewarding experience, and the working environment is good. Great people as well. Just don't rely on this to pay the bills.
Pros
Rewarding, good workplace environment
Cons
Low pay
Great place to learn about Trades
Student (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC23 November 2015
I took my welding program at Kwantlen College. The courses were in-debt, I was able to learn a lot and now I am ready to put my skills to use.