KW Habilitation Employee Reviews

Terrible
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON23 May 2019
Worked there for years no chance of increasing wages
Poor management
No one was ever there to listen and getting a hold of your manager is a joke .
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Long hour no wage increase absolutely overwhelming and overworked
Former Employee
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 March 2019
This place is the worst place to work.

The management are awful, it's extremely political.

The pay is garbage.

Do not work here, it will be a waste of your time and energy unless you want to be treated like an inmate.
Horrible benefits and pay
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON20 February 2019
The salary isn't worth it. Especially if you have a manager that is pretty much non-existent (most are). The benefits are also a laugh.

To move in the company you have to be close with the hiring manager...your experience means nothing.

You can be vomiting on the floor of your bathroom, but if you call in sick you are still expected to find your own replacement.

Want vacation? You have to find replacement for that too. If you can't? Too bad, so sad. Managers in residential side are of no assistance if you want/need time off.

Trust me...if you're looking to start in this field, try Sunbeam...the pay is way better and so are most of the managers. They actually care about their employees.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Pay, benefits, most managers, getting time off is near impossible
Official response from KW Habilitation
26 February 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to read that you have not enjoyed your time working at KW Habilitation. Our organization is committed to creating a productive, collaborative, and supportive environment for all employees.

We continuously look for new ways to enhance our compensation/benefits and discuss options with employees to make sure we are on the right track. For example, in response to feedback from our co-workers, we have recently expanded the EAP so that part-time employees can access it as well.

We also encourage open and honest conversations about ways we can improve. Your review indicates that you are a “current employee”, if you would like to discuss your concerns with me in more detail please let me know and I’ll be available to meet with you. My email address and cell phone number are available in the company directory. I hope that we can learn together about how our organization operates, and work to enhance the experience of employees at KW Habilitation.

Drew Peterson
Director of Human Resources

It is a fulfilling job that requires good rapport with clients to work with them
Direct Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 December 2018
A typical day of the job can go as the plan of care intends, but due to behaviours it requires critical thinking to help clients cope when plans change. What you will learn/develop will be in client care-giving, documentation, delegation, and support. Staff are all supportive, and have a welcoming atmosphere. The hardest part of the job is working with behaviours that can prove to be very challenging, so patience and forward thinking are highly recommended. The enjoyment can come from the overall performance of the client, and their progress with their coping skills and their ability to strive.
Pros
Free lunches
Mostly great co-workers......very poor management.
Direct Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 August 2018
Good group of co-workers, management is very poor. No management skills whatsoever. Does not value employees. Excuses legitimate complaints brought forth. The pay is also very low. I have been a PSW for over 15 years and haven't made this low a wage for at least 10 years.
Bottom Line..............working with the clients is rewarding and a great career, working for Kw habilitation is a nightmare.
Pros
Caring for wonderful people.
Cons
Management, low wages, lack of staff to cover shifts.
Working with people who have disabilities.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON30 March 2018
Assist in helping people with disabilities live their life. Can be relaxed some days, can be very hectic others. This job is good if you enjoy working with others.
Excellent Opportunity
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 November 2017
Challenging but worthwhile experience to support community.
Long work hours, fast paced environment.
Management very supportive.
Pay is competitive for non-profit.
One of the best employers I've had
Developmental Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 September 2017
KW Hab provides incredible employment in a passion driven field.
I would recommend employment here to any one. Developmental Services is government funded and unfortunately the funding is not what it should be. This is not KW Habilitations fault, but the pay is not adequate for the work we do.
Friendly environment with compassionate staff!
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON8 September 2017
I love working for KW Habilitation. Throughout my time there the management has been extremely receptive to new ideas and improvements in order to better serve the people we care for as an agency, as well as fast and efficient when implementing new ideas and strategies. The staff I work with are friendly, compassionate, and invested in creating the best possible environment for the people we care for as well as fellow staff members. Because the work environment is a residential home it feels quite welcoming and comfortable.
Pros
No charge for meals
Cons
Lack of available part-time staff to cover shifts when needed
Fantastic environment with amazing services
Support Worker at The Vibe (Former Employee) –  108 Sydney St. S.21 November 2014
This fast paced environment has everything required to educate, entertain and excite a hundred visitors every day. Just a wonderful location with amazing staff and competitive services.
Pros
Awesome caf.
Cons
This is one busy place!
great place to work
Group home Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 January 2014
great place to work. coworkers are awesome to work with. working with the clients. hardest part of the job is when your clients arent feeling well and cant do nothing for them
Amazing place to work!!
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 November 2013
Management takes time to listen to ideas from all staff. Not just staff in higher positions of authority. Team oriented and fun place to work.