Kumon

Kumon Employee Reviews

Canada407 reviews

Found 407 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,381 reviews

nice job for students

nice to work as a student but there is a random corporate pop in that critique workers that work for minimum wage coworkers are nice and it’s a flexible job but I wish there was more hours

Pros

flexible, good for students, great coworkers

Cons

pay, covid made hours cut out of nowhere

must meet requirements

has to meet requirements and you have to focus on work. stressful workplace. you have to obey every command and should not talk to your colleague. strict.

Pros

easy job

Cons

strict

Great experience as a student marker; helped ease myself into a working culture.

I was a student marker at Kumon, and it was a great first job for me. The hours were fair and flexible, and my employers were very helpful and understanding.

Worth it overall

Working with kids is amazing. Tough work environment, no room for voicing any opinion. Workload was intense because if you wanted to do a good job of teaching you would get behind on marking the homework which we were supposed to be doing simultaneously.

I have loved working at Kumon.

Great time with kids, and with the other staff. there is lots of marking to be done. You need to be quick with your math to help kids. The kids make the job very enjoyable.

Pros

be around kids

Cons

not enough pay

great starting job

It's a great place to start a part time job, you learn to deal with customers (parents) and how a workplace runs. Not too difficult, although sometimes workload can be overloaded, depending on the amount of people working that day. The quality of the workplace really depends on the manager.

Great student job while in school

Would recommend any student to work here. Flexible hours and days, works with school timing. Work with kids of all ages with math & reading. Gave me great experience.

Pros

Great hours, flexible days, great for students, good experience

Not bad for some pocket money.

A great place to work if you're looking to make some money on the side, and by that, I mean pocket money. Kumon is usually open 2 days a week for 4 hours minimum. Not enough to save up for something big, but if you'd like some spending money it's great, the work isn't hard at all. You'll receive a book with all the answers in it so even if you struggle with Math or English you can still work with almost no issue.

Pros

Very flexible, almost no skills needed.

Cons

Not enough hours to earn a lot of money.

Environnement très agréable

Les employés sont chaleureux, bienvenus, accueillants :)J'ai beaucoup aimé travaillé avec eux et je continue à travailler encore. Même si la salle de classe est petit, c'est comme une petite famille : tout le monde se parle et se reconnait. recommande très fortement de travailler :)

Unfair Salary / Work Benefits

My manager paid us less than minimum wage, and even when they were confronted about it, they made up excuses. They were unreasonable and unable to understand that we applied and were hired to become part-time workers, which meant we did not have the flexibility to work at the Kumon Centre full-time. However, the manager was unreasonable and called his workers in at the last minute. The least they could have done was provide us with AT LEAST minimum wage. Some of us were working their for years and only got $0.20-$0.30 raises in salary.

Pros

Helping children learn. Sometimes there were free snacks.

Cons

Awful pay. Management lacked the understanding and compassion for treating their workers.

Great place for a short time

I worked with up to two students at a time. I marked students work. I really enjoyed working with the students. The environment was busy and loud at times, but I saw the effectiveness of the kumon method.

Pros

Working with great kids! You get to see improvement in them.

Cons

Sitting for long periods of time, bad back/neck and leg pain, too small desks, some parents are way too pushy and strict with their kids, a bit stressful and loud at times

Securely structured and fulfilling

This was a really satisfying place to work. Expectations, roles and responsibilities were very clear. It felt efficient and productive. I was able to clearly see the progress I was contributing to and seeing the confidence and knowledge of young people grow. It feels great to make a difference. I would strongly recommend this job to anyone wanting to gain teaching skills or gain experience working with children with learning challenges.

Pros

Easy and rewarding work

Cons

Not many hours available

Good Company for High School and College Students

I enjoyed working at Kumon for several years, but I haven't worked there since 2018. Since then, they have new management, however, the new owner of the franchise was a former co-worker from Kumon. This is a great place for education or child care students, as you learn to tutor children 1 on 1 or 1 on 2. The hours that I worked were great for a student, though probably not enough to support rent without student loans.

Pros

Short hours, good for students, great place to learn to interact with children

Cons

Lack of shifts, strict tutoring guidelines

Easy first job but can be better

I would have loved to talk to my coworkers more especially because we sit next to each other, but instead we are told to be professional and mark the work quickly and accurately. I have been here for almost 2 years and I still get minimum wage. Job advancement is not even existent unless you ask, I assume.

Pros

Flexible, tedious

Cons

Minimum wage

Fast-paced environment requiring lots of adaptability and patience

An environment that is often unorganized and hectic, employee must be very adaptable to new things and instructions on the spot. Students can be very trying so must be able to stay patient and reasonable during high-stress scenarios. You need to be very familiar with the kumon method and able to teach it and answer questions.

Pros

rewarding relationships with youth, only work 1-3 days a week

Cons

repetitive work and requires lots of patience, often you are basically a teacher one-on-one to the students

fun place

It is a fun, intereactive, flexible place. Gives you an opportunity for developing management skills. Mostly teaching kids to rely on their prior knowledge of concepts and encouraging self learning behaviours.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

no scope for growth in the company

Great!

An overall great place to work if you like kids, the manager was awesome and always very understanding. It was a great first job since it was only 2 set days of the week for a couple hours, unfortunately I had to leave when I needed something a little more. The staff were awesome and It’s really easy to feel like you fit in there!

Pros

Staff, management, environment.

Cons

Pay

Manager’s behaviour can impact your experience working here

One of the worst places I’ve worked. Horrible management, no growth or training for staff (but there was an abundance of ‘criticism’ from management), part time hours (some managers open to increasing hours). Manager would put you down in front of all other staff, students and parents, undermining your skills and instructional control. She did not know how to provide positive and constructive feedback to staff. Managers knew how to recruit families but did not know how to run a team. Manager also was not professional with team. She would talk badly of other coworkers with team Overworked, had to stay back unpaid to complete work cause manager would berate team next day for not completing work.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Min wage, part time hours, manager may not be great

not a good place

was treated very poorly, not a good place.The boss was very aggressive and barely gave proper trainer. Everyone was constantly quitting because the boss was horrible.

Pros

nothing

Cons

rude boss

Productive routine work.

This job has stable fixed hours so it is very good for a student. It is easy to balance with school and other extracurricular activities. The coworkers are friendly and it is an overall great environment.

It was a relaxing and productive work environment to help students reach ahead in math and reading.

The hours were extremely light and flexible, only about 16-20 hours per week. The management was extremely nice and so were the employees at the centre. Being able to help students reach ahead in math and reading programs was an amazing experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2