Kumon Employee Reviews

Excellent work environment that directly affects children's futures
Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK3 October 2018
Us tutoring kids ages four and up can be tiring but letting them learn on their own, then guiding them through some rough patches, can be satisfying. We also get to learn with the kids and review our own math and reading skills.

We get to appreciate teachers' daily work since we are also grading a LOT of homework while managing kids that have an attention span of a spoon. This is quite challenging.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Unruly kids
A little boring and repetitive
Work grader and teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON24 September 2018
All you do is mark the students' work in a really quiet classroom. you can't check your phone, listen to music, or talk to someone.
Very boring if you work 3 hours non-stop. But the salary is good enough.
Pros
productive
Cons
boring
Great
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 September 2018
Great place to work, good environment. Experience with mathematics and English teaching is very helpful when trying to teach students. Speed and efficiency is key.
Productive, and fun workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON21 September 2018
Kumon has an extremely positive atmosphere; it is a rewarding job and the staff and customers/students you get to work with are simply amazing. Being able to teach children things that they may have struggled with in the past and see the satisfaction on their faces when they do finally understand is something that always makes you, as a tutor feel like you're really making a difference in someones life.
Pros
Excellent job if you already have a busy schedule
Cons
Not enough hours
Did not like working here.
Math and English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 September 2018
The staff at the location that I worked at did not treat their workers well. I was given terribly low hours. Some people who worked here were not the nicest. Continuously forgot to give me my paystub.
Friendly Workplace
Marker (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON15 September 2018
Kumon has a very welcoming and friendly working environment. Working with kids is the best part of the job, being able to gain more experience on dealing with kids and ways to help them focus on their work. A typical day on average is just marking files and explaining math concepts or reading concepts to kids.
nice fun workspace
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON28 August 2018
had a lot of opportunity to advance and create a better understanding of the tutoring institution. Was a friendly place with different work schedules and different days full of surprises.
Pros
improved communication skills
Cons
kids and there rage
It was a great place to work, you were part of a helpful, caring group and encouraged to ask questions and learn more.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON24 August 2018
Loved working with children, most were eager to learn and fun to teach. Mostly worked one on one but occasionally had more. Kumon provides a relaxed atmosphere with incentives for children who apply themselves.
Pros
Satisfying work
it was okay
Tutor/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 August 2018
good for students that need a flexible schedule. easy to obtain if you speak eloquently, must remain patient when working with various children. always wear uniform,
Stable but toxic
Kumon Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, Canada10 August 2018
You come in, grab your role card for the day (usually the same as every shift), and sit at a table and start marking. You aren't allowed to make any sort of conversation with other workers which is acceptabe but can be a problem if you don't like that (like me). Training? Most horrible training ever made. They expect you to know everything right off the bat and embarass you in front of the kids and coworkers if you mess up. My first day was extremely stressful and the 'supervisor'/'coordiator' treats you like you are incapeable of listening to the no phone usage rule and picks on certain people every shift to place their phone in a box which is really unnerving. From this job, I have not learned much other than how to mark worksheets and how bad training can be a big problem. Also, there is not really opportunity for advancement into other positions such as tutor, or planning as you basically stay the role you are given from the beginning. It is no wonder most people quit in less than 6 months of working there. However, if you are ooking for flexible hours, this is a good start for that.
Pros
flexible, little above minimum wage
Cons
HORRIBLE training, management poor
Good first job, strict management
Classroom Marker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2018
This was a good first job, where I had to learn patience and people skills. The management was kind and understanding towards me, however very inflexible and rude towards other employees.
Pros
no experience required
Cons
rude supervisors
Fun!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2018
This job helped me with my own education as I was able to have a solid comprehension of math and reading while assisting others. I loved the interactions with children.
Great workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 July 2018
Enjoyed working there even though it was for a short term. It's more of a part time job but the workplace and coworkers were great. Fairly easy job to get the hang off.
Not a workable environment
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 July 2018
I have been working here for almost 2 years now. The people are very cold and sometimes rude, there is a lack of a feeling of a community. You always feel depressed. The people here don't really create a great work environment for people to thrive and enjoy working. Managment is either gone or unreachable until they need something. Not a lot of opportunity for growth both personal and within the workplace.
Pros
Not a lot of human interacationa other than students?
Cons
Not very Inviting. Depressing, No interpersonel interaction
Fun workplace, a lot to learn and experience
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON13 July 2018
fun and exciting to teach children. Typical day at work is mostly entertaining and eventful. Children brighten up my day. Hardest part is when multiple children come up for help at once and I am unable to help them all.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Can get tiring due to pressure of finishing on time
Great Company
Kumon Instructor (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC12 July 2018
It is good to make your children strive for greater achievements. I love the management and working with other instructors who try their best to ensure the success of the centre.
Hectic and quite demanding
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 July 2018
On a day to day basis at Kumon, we received dozens of students who required assistance in various aspects of English and math. Students would bring homework booklets for instructors to mark, along with classwork. In addition, an instructor would be required to not only mark several individuals work simultaneously or in quick succession but also aid the students in any troubles they face when completing questions. The lack of staff at the branch I worked at made it quite difficult to complete the required work as the establishment was understaffed.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Understaffed and Demanding
Great place to gain primary work experience
Marker (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON3 July 2018
You get to mark other people's homework and help students correct their mistakes. I learned how to organize my time as well as other people's homework sheets.
A stress-free job!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2018
At kumon, I've marked the students work, recorded the students progress, helped the students understand math and reading concepts one-on-one, and organized a lesson plan for each student.
Fast paced but easy
Team Member (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 July 2018
The average kumon team member’s responsibilities are hard at first because of the fast pace (depends on location) but are easy to get used to. Job includes marking kumon worksheets, working with children and talking to parents about the kumon program.
Pros
Consistent hours
Cons
Fast paced

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.