Kumon Employee Reviews

Found 238 reviews matching the search See all 1,790 reviews
A little boring and repetitive
Work grader and teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON24 September 2018
All you do is mark the students' work in a really quiet classroom. you can't check your phone, listen to music, or talk to someone.
Very boring if you work 3 hours non-stop. But the salary is good enough.
Pros
productive
Cons
boring
Loved working with kids but there was absolutely no room for advancement!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB2 May 2018
The overall job was super tedious because all you did was mark worksheet after worksheet. It was super high pace at times and the management was very strict about mistakes although you were expected to work at a pace that led to mistakes. Upon being hired I was told that there was room for advancement, this is a complete lie unless you want to become an instructor at your own Kumon! I worked there for 3 years and and when I left my salary was the same as the brand new hires. It is a great job for people who are looking for only a few hours a week. Overall the management at my particular location was awful, and held grudges against small mistakes (I was no longer allowed to do do certain work after making a small, though they never attempted to help me fix my mistakes or talked to me about them). The only reason I stayed at this job for so long was because I love working with kids, it was my first job and I didn't realize how horrible the management was. It is also extremely difficult to make connections with your coworkers because there is no talking allowed during class time, so the only conversations you can have with them is the 5 minutes before and after class you are there.
Pros
Working with kids, reliability
Cons
Tedious, isolating, unforgiving
Terrible work environment, forced to work for free
Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 November 2018
Condescending and rude franchise owner who favourites employees. Received multiple warnings for being too loud when other female employees happily chit chat away in the corner. When hired I was forced to work for a 30 hour "unpaid probation" to evaluate my skills which is illegal. No thank you's or gratitude for working harder than everyone, just complaints and being told to be quiet. Do not work for this company if you want fairness, equality between employees, and any sort of wage or position advancement.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
extreme favouritism from manager, minimum wage, required to work 30 hours for free
Bad company
PR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Delhi21 June 2018
It gives very low salary, there is so much work that it gets crazy.

Thank fully everyone leaves for home on time. But they refuse to increase salaries.
Productive, high energy workplace
Math and Reading Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2019
The management of the workplace was very clear on the tasks needed to accomplish. It was a full environment of learning not just for the students but for the staff as well, such as learning new teaching strategies and adaptation skills moving from a variety of different students onto the next. The hours fit perfectly being a high school student at the time and having work after school hours 2-3 times a week.
Pros
Management was straight forward and understanding when making changes to the style of tutoring
Cons
Staff meetings were quite long during personal hours.
Productive and educational
Assistant marker (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 May 2018
Kumon is a very productive and educational work space made for children to hone their skills in math and English. Overall its a amazing work place full of nice people
Pros
No benifits
Cons
Very tedious work
Stable but toxic
Kumon Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, Canada10 August 2018
You come in, grab your role card for the day (usually the same as every shift), and sit at a table and start marking. You aren't allowed to make any sort of conversation with other workers which is acceptabe but can be a problem if you don't like that (like me). Training? Most horrible training ever made. They expect you to know everything right off the bat and embarass you in front of the kids and coworkers if you mess up. My first day was extremely stressful and the 'supervisor'/'coordiator' treats you like you are incapeable of listening to the no phone usage rule and picks on certain people every shift to place their phone in a box which is really unnerving. From this job, I have not learned much other than how to mark worksheets and how bad training can be a big problem. Also, there is not really opportunity for advancement into other positions such as tutor, or planning as you basically stay the role you are given from the beginning. It is no wonder most people quit in less than 6 months of working there. However, if you are ooking for flexible hours, this is a good start for that.
Pros
flexible, little above minimum wage
Cons
HORRIBLE training, management poor
Had fun helping the children
Teacher & Tutor (Former Employee) –  Malton, ON19 October 2018
A typical day would just be me signing in at work, then get started on helping my co-workers with their load of marking. I learned that each child will learn at a different rate. The management was good, she was nice. The environment at the workplace was okay, there was enough space for everyone to work at. the hardest part is when 3-4 children are coming to you for help all at the same time, but was manageable. The only thing I liked was that seeing the children being able to understand the material.
Pros
Free dinner at the end of the year
positive working environment for teenager
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 December 2018
This is a good and safe place to start with and prepare for your future career. Every time when you are teaching a younger kid with their Math or English, you are practicing your own skills as well. It can also build up your confidence and leadership skills. People who works here are mostly teenagers, they are young and energetic and have a passion on good academic results. You can make a lot of friends at your same age.
Great Learning Opportunity for a Part Time Job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 December 2018
Fantastic company to work as they truly instill good values in children that set them up for a lifetime of learning. The management was very respectful and it was an honor to work with them. The true pleasure came from seeing what a few hours of input could do to a child in boosting their confidence and their overall understanding of concepts that they found difficult.
Fun workplace with bad management
Instructor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON4 January 2019
Bad management with very little organization, management could have done a lot better job in communicating with the employees. They need a minimum of 2 weeks notice for vacation to be admissible.
Pros
n/a
Cons
no vacations
A pretty good job but a little boring
I was a marker or helper (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC4 October 2018
Working at Kumon wasn't a bad experience but it was kind of boring and since working there for around a year, I feel like I had attained most of what I could from working there. It had minimum wage pay but if you wanted hours they could give you more. Overall a very good first job. I had to quit since it didn't fit my timetable with school and sports.
Pros
Easy wokr
Cons
Quite boring
Teaches good skills, but can be stressful
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 May 2018
Typical day:
Go in to work at 3:30. Either mark student homework or walk table to table answering student's questions. Wrap up at 7:30.

Skills learned:
You get really good with your basic math and English. You may feel like you're good at basic algebra, but you're always surprised how much better you get. This also helped prepare me for university by learning how to learn by looking at examples and example problems.

Management:
Boss is very understanding. You see him every day you work. He will bring food for you sometimes. Has a Nespresso machine that you can use as long as you have your own thermos.

Workplace culture:
Be professional in front of students and the parents. Your professionalism reflects in the respect students give you. However, all the markers there all are relaxed people who will have a good time once the students are gone/nobody is looking.
Pros
Community between workers, learn valuable skills
Cons
Pay isn't great, hard work
Not great
Marketing Specialist, Western Canada (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 January 2018
The stars say enough really. There are good benefits and perks but your experience will be fairly dependent on who your manager is. In my mind, that means there isn't much cohesion in the company overall.
Pros
travel
Cons
poor management
Productive, and fun workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON21 September 2018
Kumon has an extremely positive atmosphere; it is a rewarding job and the staff and customers/students you get to work with are simply amazing. Being able to teach children things that they may have struggled with in the past and see the satisfaction on their faces when they do finally understand is something that always makes you, as a tutor feel like you're really making a difference in someones life.
Pros
Excellent job if you already have a busy schedule
Cons
Not enough hours
Excellent work environment that directly affects children's futures
Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK3 October 2018
Us tutoring kids ages four and up can be tiring but letting them learn on their own, then guiding them through some rough patches, can be satisfying. We also get to learn with the kids and review our own math and reading skills.

We get to appreciate teachers' daily work since we are also grading a LOT of homework while managing kids that have an attention span of a spoon. This is quite challenging.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Unruly kids
Efficient and productive workplace with comforting enviornment
Junior Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2019
I believe that working at Kumon was a beneficial opportunity for me because it was an open working environment. I was able to work very productively while being able to take and communicate with my co-workers. I believe that I gained a lot of experience in tutoring and teaching foundational skills to younger kids.
Competitive and fast pace work environment with very short brakes in between shifts
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 June 2018
Working at Kumon for me personally was a challenge. Firstly, the work environment wasn't managed correctly. Employees were rushed often and told to hurry up most of the time since the workload was piling up. Secondly, the shifts were really short at Kumon and you didn't make all that much in order to fulfill your expenses. And lastly, while at Kumon I noticed that proper seating was not given to the instructors. Meaning that instructors were often given uncomfortable chairs to sit in and at the end of my shifts usually my back would usually be in a bit of pain. Overall working at Kumon was a decent first job and was a life-changing experience.
Pros
flexable shifts
Cons
short breaks
Not a workable environment
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 July 2018
I have been working here for almost 2 years now. The people are very cold and sometimes rude, there is a lack of a feeling of a community. You always feel depressed. The people here don't really create a great work environment for people to thrive and enjoy working. Managment is either gone or unreachable until they need something. Not a lot of opportunity for growth both personal and within the workplace.
Pros
Not a lot of human interacationa other than students?
Cons
Not very Inviting. Depressing, No interpersonel interaction
Hectic and quite demanding
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 July 2018
On a day to day basis at Kumon, we received dozens of students who required assistance in various aspects of English and math. Students would bring homework booklets for instructors to mark, along with classwork. In addition, an instructor would be required to not only mark several individuals work simultaneously or in quick succession but also aid the students in any troubles they face when completing questions. The lack of staff at the branch I worked at made it quite difficult to complete the required work as the establishment was understaffed.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Understaffed and Demanding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.