Kumon Employee Reviews

it was okay
Tutor/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 August 2018
good for students that need a flexible schedule. easy to obtain if you speak eloquently, must remain patient when working with various children. always wear uniform,
Stable but toxic
Kumon Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, Canada10 August 2018
You come in, grab your role card for the day (usually the same as every shift), and sit at a table and start marking. You aren't allowed to make any sort of conversation with other workers which is acceptabe but can be a problem if you don't like that (like me). Training? Most horrible training ever made. They expect you to know everything right off the bat and embarass you in front of the kids and coworkers if you mess up. My first day was extremely stressful and the 'supervisor'/'coordiator' treats you like you are incapeable of listening to the no phone usage rule and picks on certain people every shift to place their phone in a box which is really unnerving. From this job, I have not learned much other than how to mark worksheets and how bad training can be a big problem. Also, there is not really opportunity for advancement into other positions such as tutor, or planning as you basically stay the role you are given from the beginning. It is no wonder most people quit in less than 6 months of working there. However, if you are ooking for flexible hours, this is a good start for that.
Pros
flexible, little above minimum wage
Cons
HORRIBLE training, management poor
Fun!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2018
This job helped me with my own education as I was able to have a solid comprehension of math and reading while assisting others. I loved the interactions with children.
Great workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 July 2018
Enjoyed working there even though it was for a short term. It's more of a part time job but the workplace and coworkers were great. Fairly easy job to get the hang off.
Not a workable environment
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 July 2018
I have been working here for almost 2 years now. The people are very cold and sometimes rude, there is a lack of a feeling of a community. You always feel depressed. The people here don't really create a great work environment for people to thrive and enjoy working. Managment is either gone or unreachable until they need something. Not a lot of opportunity for growth both personal and within the workplace.
Pros
Not a lot of human interacationa other than students?
Cons
Not very Inviting. Depressing, No interpersonel interaction
Fun workplace, a lot to learn and experience
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON13 July 2018
fun and exciting to teach children. Typical day at work is mostly entertaining and eventful. Children brighten up my day. Hardest part is when multiple children come up for help at once and I am unable to help them all.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Can get tiring due to pressure of finishing on time
Great Company
Kumon Instructor (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC12 July 2018
It is good to make your children strive for greater achievements. I love the management and working with other instructors who try their best to ensure the success of the centre.
Hectic and quite demanding
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 July 2018
On a day to day basis at Kumon, we received dozens of students who required assistance in various aspects of English and math. Students would bring homework booklets for instructors to mark, along with classwork. In addition, an instructor would be required to not only mark several individuals work simultaneously or in quick succession but also aid the students in any troubles they face when completing questions. The lack of staff at the branch I worked at made it quite difficult to complete the required work as the establishment was understaffed.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Understaffed and Demanding
Great place to gain primary work experience
Marker (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON3 July 2018
You get to mark other people's homework and help students correct their mistakes. I learned how to organize my time as well as other people's homework sheets.
A stress-free job!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2018
At kumon, I've marked the students work, recorded the students progress, helped the students understand math and reading concepts one-on-one, and organized a lesson plan for each student.
Fast paced but easy
Team Member (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 July 2018
The average kumon team member’s responsibilities are hard at first because of the fast pace (depends on location) but are easy to get used to. Job includes marking kumon worksheets, working with children and talking to parents about the kumon program.
Pros
Consistent hours
Cons
Fast paced
Bad company
PR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Delhi21 June 2018
It gives very low salary, there is so much work that it gets crazy.

Thank fully everyone leaves for home on time. But they refuse to increase salaries.
Competitive and fast pace work environment with very short brakes in between shifts
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 June 2018
Working at Kumon for me personally was a challenge. Firstly, the work environment wasn't managed correctly. Employees were rushed often and told to hurry up most of the time since the workload was piling up. Secondly, the shifts were really short at Kumon and you didn't make all that much in order to fulfill your expenses. And lastly, while at Kumon I noticed that proper seating was not given to the instructors. Meaning that instructors were often given uncomfortable chairs to sit in and at the end of my shifts usually my back would usually be in a bit of pain. Overall working at Kumon was a decent first job and was a life-changing experience.
Pros
flexable shifts
Cons
short breaks
Great foundational knowledge
Learning Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 June 2018
This model helps children to develop positive study habits, and fosters independent learning. This is a great model for teaching children foundational knowledge in both English and Math.
Flexible hours but a poorly managed franchise
Grader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 June 2018
The typical day was to come in and grade math and english homework for around 6 hours. I was able to choose the days of the week when I was available to work for these shifts. The flexibility was convenient as a student and the pay was a bit above minimum wage. However, what made me leave the job was the lack of quality training and poor management. Every coworker I talked to complained about the insufficient training they were given, so it was a widespread issue. This resulted in many problems and mistakes being made unknowingly by many staff members each shift. Additionally, with mistakes being made due to poor training, the manager would not hesitate to yell at or single out and embarrass anyone who made the smallest error. I recall an experience of being suddenly thrown into a completely new position that I had absolutely no training for and being expected to know everything right off the bat. It was extremely stressful and I never received any form of proper training even after holding the position for more than one month. I even requested to be trained but the information I was given did not cover everything I needed to know. Therefore, I essentially learned as I went, but if I made any small errors due to not being taught specific instructions, I would be yelled at in a condescending manner in the open learning environment. This kind of scolding happened to many other staff members and usually we would get blamed before we could even defend ourselves. Overall, besides this inappropriate treatment, I enjoyed the flexibility and the pay. However, the disorganized management,  more... extreme lack of training, and poor treatment of employees eventually made the cons outweigh the pros of the job.  less
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Poor management, poor training, poor employee treatment
Kumon
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2018
Though I worked here for a short period of time, the atmosphere provided here was not to my liking. Hours working was exceptional, however, the staff was not all friendly to the kids that were in class. Time was not flexible
Productive work place that teaches patience and respect
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC10 June 2018
A typical day at Kumon consisted of helping kids of all grades (pre-school- grade 12) with their homework. Marking their completed work and notifying parents of their progress was also part of the job. I learned how to be patient with different kinds of people because everyone learns in a different way. Communicating ideas of how to teach and organize work to the kids and their parents were ways to help out. The workplace overall was friendly and there were hard times like marking 30 pages of homework for one kid but the most rewarding part was seeing a kid understand the concept that was being taught.
Not good
Instructor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 June 2018
I worked here for a bit through a referral of an acquaintance just to get some experience to write on my resume.
I worked as a volunteer but I know the pay is little if you do actually apply for the position. The job is repetitive and boring, not what I would like to do.
I just got a stack of assignments and checked the answers with answer sheets. Required no expertise in any field at all, just need to be fast.
The job could easily be automated, especially if they just get the kids to submit answers online, though with proper equipment they could just do it off the sheets.
Poor Management
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 June 2018
Manager did not maintain well relationships with their employees. The potential for advancement was incredibly limited. Hours were also very short, making it inconvenient to commute for only a couple of hours of work.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Repetitive, Lack of Team Building
Good!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Dorval, QC1 June 2018
Great place to work! Good, fun learning environment. Kumon is a good place for kids to learn, improve their skills, and practice good learning habit. Would recommend

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.