Kumon Employee Reviews

Friendly and efficient workplace
Teaching/Grading Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 May 2018
Very friendly and helpful staff. I enjoyed my time at kumon. I got the privilege to work with young students and hone my skills as a teaching assistant.
Teaches good skills, but can be stressful
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 May 2018
Typical day:
Go in to work at 3:30. Either mark student homework or walk table to table answering student's questions. Wrap up at 7:30.

Skills learned:
You get really good with your basic math and English. You may feel like you're good at basic algebra, but you're always surprised how much better you get. This also helped prepare me for university by learning how to learn by looking at examples and example problems.

Management:
Boss is very understanding. You see him every day you work. He will bring food for you sometimes. Has a Nespresso machine that you can use as long as you have your own thermos.

Workplace culture:
Be professional in front of students and the parents. Your professionalism reflects in the respect students give you. However, all the markers there all are relaxed people who will have a good time once the students are gone/nobody is looking.
Pros
Community between workers, learn valuable skills
Cons
Pay isn't great, hard work
It was a great place to work
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 May 2018
- Manager was awesome and fun to work with
- Coworkers were always ripe and ready for a fun packed shift
- Communication was key and efficient between manager and employees
Pros
the joy of helping kids learn
First Job Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 May 2018
It was my first job experience, hence I made a lot of errors but learned quickly.
Checking all the assignments gets tedious but explaining concepts to students is a good experience.
Pros
Comfortable Working Hours
Cons
Some parts of the job are tedious
Loved working with kids but there was absolutely no room for advancement!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB2 May 2018
The overall job was super tedious because all you did was mark worksheet after worksheet. It was super high pace at times and the management was very strict about mistakes although you were expected to work at a pace that led to mistakes. Upon being hired I was told that there was room for advancement, this is a complete lie unless you want to become an instructor at your own Kumon! I worked there for 3 years and and when I left my salary was the same as the brand new hires. It is a great job for people who are looking for only a few hours a week. Overall the management at my particular location was awful, and held grudges against small mistakes (I was no longer allowed to do do certain work after making a small, though they never attempted to help me fix my mistakes or talked to me about them). The only reason I stayed at this job for so long was because I love working with kids, it was my first job and I didn't realize how horrible the management was. It is also extremely difficult to make connections with your coworkers because there is no talking allowed during class time, so the only conversations you can have with them is the 5 minutes before and after class you are there.
Pros
Working with kids, reliability
Cons
Tedious, isolating, unforgiving
Good
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Laurent, ON1 May 2018
Great company as a first job. Bo was a very nice boss for the Kumon and Math reading center at St Laurent. The only downside is that it has so few hours.
Okay
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 April 2018
Had the management been a little better and understanding, the job would have been more fun. When management is horrible, going in to work is a drag so I would not reccommend this place.
Not bad for first job
Kumon Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON27 April 2018
Easy work since its just marking, teaching children or inputting marks into a computer. Not allowed to talk loudly so I didn't really get to know my coworkers.
Very easy job to have during the school year.
Great experience!
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 April 2018
I worked at Kumon for 5 years as an administrative assistant in brampton. I worked through my undergraduate degree and I found it to be one of the best decisions I ever made. Great management, flexible hours and overall great experience!
Great place to work at
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 April 2018
Friendly employees and good work environment. Hours are good and the management is great! The workplace culture is excellent and the training was provided.
Not a bad place to work
Marker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2018
This job was a great job to start off with and allowed for me to learn the basic skills of the workplace. It taught me how to interact with others and how to balance school and work. I learned how to work at a fast pace and be a part of a team effort. The workplace was a comfortable environment and everyone was very patient with me as I was learning how to be an effective worker.
Overall good learning experience.
Administrative Assistant to Instructor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 April 2018
If you are looking to work within the field of education, the job allows you good experience working with children. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see children imporive as they progressed through the levels and parents reporting actual improvement in school because of KUMON.
Straightforward and Simple
Centre Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
As a centre assistant, I was responsible for marking worksheets and answering the students' questions. Overall, it seems very independent as you do your work, and that's that.
Quiet relaxed work space
Employee (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 April 2018
Overall the work environment is relaxed and quiet, promoting a greater learning experience. As an employee I noticed room for improvement in terms of managament due to lack of organization. The amount of paper waste accumulated was also very large.
Pros
relaxed, quiet
Cons
lack of organization, large paper waste
Very friendly and family oriented workplace
Marker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 April 2018
I worked 1-2 days a week and I really enjoyed working with the students. I learnt to be patient and find ways to help them.

We worked as a team and I am a team player. I feel accomplished when I saw the student finally understand the problem and able to solve the issues.
Pros
Hours are too short
Cons
It will not affect my school work
very good place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 March 2018
they provide a very good learning and teaching environment. Moreover, the work is quite easy and provide you with flexible hours that fit your schedule.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Less hours per week
Great Learning Experience
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
Kumon was a great company to begin my working career. Being a tutor, I not only was able to transfer my knowledge to students, but I also learned how to work with students and communicate more effectively.
ok
Early Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2018
e accomplish a healthy and sustainable community where we provide innovative, client-centred, integrated health, social, legal, employment, and cultural services by working with the strengths of our residents and community.

We hope that you, as part of the Rexdale and neighbouring communities engage in our community development. Contact us today to see how you can help.
Fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 March 2018
I love engaging with students to help with their math and reading work. It's interesting to see how each person learns differently so you must adjust your teaching method for different people. I also like marking their work for the day and helping answer their questions.
Pros
Same hours every week
Tutor
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 March 2018
You must excel in mathematics or English Language Arts to become a tutor in KUMON. Kumon is a very comfortable and relaxing environment and also very fun if you are comfortable with working with elementary to high school level students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.