Komatsu

Komatsu Employee Reviews for Welder

Same thing day in day out

Good people on the floor keeping the company going but office staff or management not very good at getting back to you with answers to your questions and discriminating against floor employees for petty things . Always worried if you have a job especially if you live in Fort mac where everything is expensive. Keep to yourself don't voice your opinion cause you might not be working for long . Good starting point but it doesn't last

Pros

Good experience

Cons

They don't care about they're employees

Hardworking dedicated to your work

Very good place to be beneficial but only a few can make progress in your career path. See this as a way to get FREE knowledge about the world in mining.

Pros

Medical

Cons

Salary

Great Company to work

Working for Komatsu was a great experience hands down best company I have ever worked for safety first always Komatsu really cares about their employees and there families

A place willing to develop you

I started there as a new CWI. They gave me training and was a level 2 NDT tech in UT, MT, PT by the end of my 1st year. Started to learn more about hardness and heat treating. They paid for 2 degrees. One in welding and the other Quality Engineering. They offered me opportunities management and salary roles after the layoffs of hourly people.

Pros

Safe and the best equipment

Cons

Bickering between shifts

Really great folks to work with and work for!

One of the best manufacturing facilities I have ever worked in...I have been gone for over 10 years but will never forget the people and management that helped me achieve my CWI status and gave me great insight on management/welding opportunities.

Not bad if you enjoy being lied to

Refer to above, that statement pretty much sums it up. Management is useless. Maybe different at other locations, but not in Elko NV. New GM singlehandedly destroyed the immediate future in less than 3 months. Clueless

No good

Worked at fort mcmurray shop no matter how you worked or how much experience you have if you didnt stroke the managements big ego you were going nowhere

Pros

In town

Cons

Inexperienced young management

not a place for a career

they make a lot of empty promises to their temporary employees to get them in the door. Employees gossip like they're in high school. management is nice, but very unorganized.

Pros

pay is decent for the area

Cons

unorganized and old fashioned

My time at Joy global

The top level management is the biggest problem with this branch. Does not trust anyone to do their job and is always interfering. There is absolutely no team effort, each department fighting with others, each crew slamming and discrediting the other, and to call the people in charge performance leaders would be a gross misuse of the word. The stress levels that are put on good people eventually cause them to leave. From my experience it's an me, me, me attitude in this branch from the top down. The biggest benefit to this place is good pension and benefits that are offered. Take what knowledge you can get and move on if you choose to apply.

Pros

Free lunches and good benefits

Cons

No leadership

Prouctive

Working in this company is not fun. It is quite a reputable company that is doing exceptional except working long hours for a decent salary. Great team of staff.

Pros

Nothing is for free

Cons

Long Hours

Jobs at Komatsu

Welder positions
See more jobs

Good Job. Hard work but well compensated

Good Job. Hard work but well compensated. Good benefits. Union. Friendly employees. Job stability tied to mining industry leads to lots of ups and downs. Frequent layoffs.

Great work enviroment

Joy Global is a safe, clean and organized work enviroment. Supervisors are readily available to help if you have any questions or concerns. Co-workers lended a hand when needed. Very amicable place to work.

Good paying friendly mining equipment manufacturer

loved to work here

i got a lot of my experiance here in welding and as a machine operator and i did a lil bit of maintnace i loved who i worked with and how they trained the money was good but it was coal related so it got shut down

Pros

it all was good

Cons

got layed off

Management and support staff need help

They really need to get a handle on their manufacturing processes. They've been making their shovels for a long time and are just now creating standardization for work processes. The work is challenging and at times very physically taxing, but they pay well and have good benefits. Haven't done any time studies in over a decade and don't have a real grasp on what rates should be. They're just fine with guestimating. We'll see if it stays that way or if they are going to bust up the union to lower wages and benefits.

Pros

community outreach programs, pay, benefits

Cons

lack of process improvement, physically taxing, lack work structure

Not a bad place to work, coworkers were friendly and easy to work with. Money was ok. Too many lay offs

The people I worked for and with were friendly and courteous. Joy is a union shop so the pay scale was good for our area and the company provided a benefit package. I enjoyed doing the welding jobs but would have preferred working a day shift.

Challenging yet compensating

i learned how to weld profieciently with 3/32 and 1/16 flux core wire while using various metal preheat methods. The hardest part of the job is some of the confined space welding. The most enjoyable part were the paychecks

Production schedule achieved through process compliance.

Visually inspect previous shift welding fabrication progress/quality, mark up/indicate on specific welds, non compliance to weld specification requirements specific to component. Visually inspect fabrication quality documentation, sign of on relevant area's. Communicate identified area's for improvement with qualified welding personnel, leading hands, supervisors and quality assurance personnel. Address are's of concern to operations management and fabrication supervisors. The hardest part of the job would be ensuring correct welding heat input , through welding procedure specification requirements, to welding operators performing welds while achieving maximum weld metal deposition rate at optimum value heat input ! The most enjoyable part of the job... is achieving the above in all welding position application 1000% of production/maintenance.

hard job - good rates

typical mining equipment job,thick plates 30-150mm,lots of overtime good environment....good team,those pieces weight sometime over 100 to,unfortunately i have withness some accident and that make me to rewiew my priorities

Pros

free lunch

Cons

lots of it

fabricating and welding eart moving equipment.

A typical day involved welding earth moving equipment as per drawings. Getting them ready for assembly.

Incompetent management

If you are hard working, competent and care about the work you perform, DO NOT APPLY HERE. Cameras watch your every move(which no one explained to me, my co workers pointed them out 3 weeks in) people are fired constantly for petty reasons and morel amongst co-workers is so low that it makes for a terrible work environment.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Will fire staff on a whim.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Komatsu. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement