Komatsu Employee Reviews

Slightly above average working conditions
Receptionist (contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 May 2018
Management is strict but fair, willing to talk over any issues that come up. Work environment is good, excellent for safety and your job descriptions are very clear.
Pros
Good wages, health care and clear job descriptions
This review is only for P&H MinePro and Joy Global
Accounts Payable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2018
I only worked for P&H MinePro and Joy Global for couple years, and when I was there People and management are so nice and it was very enjoyable place to work.
Good pay, good benefits, bad management and only offer contintental shift
Boring Mill Operator (Current Employee) –  Lively, ON2 March 2018
Decent pay and benefits but the 12 hour continental shift switching from day to night in the same week is too taxing on the body. It is basically making all employees sick. Quality of life on days off is terrible because body is run down.
Pros
Pay, benefits, pension.
Cons
Employees unhappy, people getting sick, shift work taxing on body and mind
machinist
Machinist Duties such as operating boring mill (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON1 March 2018
good experience, light duties and easy to work with others. Pay should had been a little more and hours were a little hard on the body.but all in all it was a good work experience.
Machisist
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 March 2018
Good work atmosphere but low quality of management , tooling and direction. Work schedule was hard on body due to shift work being a 2 day then 24hr switch over to do 3 nights .I had a good learning experience on operating boring mill and what needed to be machined on a fully assembled frame. Also had a learning curve on how to flip underground machine frames. Some things that were ill managed was mainly production and what was to be done for the next operation for assembly. All in all I had a good experience learning but did not like the way they managed.
Joy Global canada review
Mechanical Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2018
Good pay, good co-workers, bad communications between branches.
Safety is treated very seriously at joy global, a good thing, but sometimes it's taken too far.
My time at Joy global
Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 July 2017
The top level management is the biggest problem with this branch. Does not trust anyone to do their job and is always interfering. There is absolutely no team effort, each department fighting with others, each crew slamming and discrediting the other, and to call the people in charge performance leaders would be a gross misuse of the word. The stress levels that are put on good people eventually cause them to leave. From my experience it's an me, me, me attitude in this branch from the top down. The biggest benefit to this place is good pension and benefits that are offered. Take what knowledge you can get and move on if you choose to apply.
Pros
Free lunches and good benefits
Cons
No leadership
Challenging work environment
Technical Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Western Canada28 March 2017
Working with Joy Global is very challenging and rewarding. You are given the opportunity to apply your skills to leading technology in a high stress environment.
Team oriented environment good managment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 March 2017
I enjoyed working here for the most part. The branch managers were awesome however the managers bosses were only concerned with saving money and would cut corners and we were under staffed most of the time.
Same thing day in day out
Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 March 2017
Good people on the floor keeping the company going but office staff or management not very good at getting back to you with answers to your questions and discriminating against floor employees for petty things . Always worried if you have a job especially if you live in Fort mac where everything is expensive. Keep to yourself don't voice your opinion cause you might not be working for long . Good starting point but it doesn't last
Pros
Good experience
Cons
They don't care about they're employees
limited experience
Industrial Electrician (Current Employee) –  Lively, ON9 March 2017
great organization with an uncertain future as a manufacturer. The people are great to work with, however in my experience it is hard to build a life with these types of manufacturing jobs that at any moment can lay you off. Also the shift work is not ideal. and 0.80$ rate for working night shift is not worth the time away from the family.
Good managment
Purchasing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
typical day at work is very busy, there is strong support from the senior leadership team and opportunities to advance. Team atmosphere is good. I most enjoy the people I work with
Pros
People
Cons
High expectation for working extra unpaid hours
Lay offs
Boring Mill &lathe operator (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 January 2017
Very old equipment, feast or famine environment
Some long term employees would make new employees lives impossible.
Some good people worked there as well.
They only hire thru a temp agency and they say you have to work 650 hours before your hired, but talking to employees it can take up to a yr in some cases.
Lay offs every December.
Pros
non
Cons
lay offs
Its a nice place to work. Safety is always priority.
Electrical/Mechanical Designer/Elect. Lead hand (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2016
Its a nice place to work. nice people, social committee organizing many activities to create team building/communications. Safety is always priority.
full time employee
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON11 July 2016
I'm a full time employee I been there 8 yrs now I enjoy it I am one of the mechanics who are ask to pull a senior roll of any situational I can work by my self or I can work with others I do enjoy it at this company
Great work enviroment
Welder (Former Employee) –  Lively, ON25 February 2016
Joy Global is a safe, clean and organized work enviroment. Supervisors are readily available to help if you have any questions or concerns. Co-workers lended a hand when needed. Very amicable place to work.
Productive Line Assembly with great co-workers
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2015
Great team, good communication. I worked with one other person. pass each other tools. Unfortunately i was laid off when the market slowed down. If not for that i'd have moved on to apprentice at Joy as an electrician.
Pros
Off at 330
Cons
No Overtime
Exciting to see equipment manufactured
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Lively, ON22 June 2015
I've learned how to manage time and keep myself busy. It is very repetitive though. Every day seems like the same day as the last, new occurrences rarely happen.

I enjoy the other workers and everyone is very nice and always willing to help if someone is in need of it.

Some of the machinists need to follow the rules and bring item(s) to the expeditor before they take said item(s) and allow the work orders to process before continuing on. Doing so would allow for processes to run more smoothly.
Pros
Good pay, steady shifts
Résolution de problèmes
Dessinateur concepteur (Former Employee) –  Candiac, QC19 March 2015
Un lien solide s'est établi avec mes collaborateurs avec les années. L'esprit d'entraide qui y régnait faisait en sorte que la résolution de problèmes était orienté pour aider la production à mieux performer.
Good Company But Pay Less
Mechanical Design Engineer (EIT) (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON18 February 2015
Very good company but pay is not very good. job culture is good. Job security is good. People are nice too. Work time is flexible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Komatsu. Our community is ready to answer.