KLS EARTHWORKS Employee Reviews

Don't waste your time
Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary13 May 2019
If you're looking for a company that will respect you as a driver or even a person don't waste your time in even applying.
The foreman's are a bunch of idiots!
Horrible
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2019
Don't waist your time . Daddy owned company
Underpaid hours always wrong
Not allowed to eat or leave site to get food "kLS" kicked like slaves . Meat in the seat
Pros
Cons
No life
Great Construction Company
Administration/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Rocky View, AB1 May 2019
Everyone is very friendly and helpful, Safety is always first and foremost. No day is the same as the one before. I think the hardest part of my job so far is just learning all the processes. Management has been extremely helpful and praises when a job is done well.
Decent company as any to be employed with
Equipment operator/finisher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, surrounding area, out of town17 March 2019
To start, i’ve been with KLS over 15 years. The negative reviews need not scare you off to gain employment.
Most of those who have left disgruntled have no clue what it takes to pound the pavement to obtain work to employ upwards to 200 employees, then the effort and time spent to dispatch and place skill and talent into the right jobs.
The effort alone to get to know each employees strengths in order to do that especially when many havent got the chops to stick the good out through the tougher times, makes it difficult all around, even with ones like myself, never knowing who’s next or how endowed or lacking in skills ones are!
Kls pays close or at the going rates in construction, one being hired ought to expect to start a bit lower if skills need honing and then be graduated up to pay as they develop.
Many of the negative reviews come from ones expecting a top rate just for showing up! Many of them lacked skils to complete their work thus making it needed to have higher skilled, myself included put in to redo, cleanup or both in their aftermaths!
I’ve as stated been with KLS over 15 years and i go with the good and tough times like anywhere one could work. I plan on continuing with KLS.
KLS management tries to maintain a family atmosphere, if you give to the company, then you see that as I have!
KLS has a good safety program in place and works hard to improve its effectiveness.
All in all, if you bring a good effort everyday, KLS will end up a decent employer toward you.
Pros
Bbq’s, Safety orientation yearly alongside PCL, Graham and others.
Cons
Hours can be long but in this industry, mostly seasonally deadlined, one can expect that.
Run away
Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2019
If you’d like to be a slave, apply. Underpaid, apply. No family life, apply. Overworked, apply. Everyone is cranky, so much time wasted. Either too much work, or you waste a whole day. Everything is done the cheap way, owners are the cheapest when it comes to pay.
Pros
Only liked two supervisors.
Cons
Productive fun place to work
Excavator operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2019
good people new equipment long hours with good overtime, only downside is the dispatch app to find out when you work and where. good supervisors and managment
Pros
good overtime
Pretty good company
Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2018
benifits are amazing!
environment is great
They work long hours and usually have lots of jobs
equipment isnt new but repairs are always done.
have out of town positions as well
Horrible, terrible company to work for --- in other words RUN, don't walk, THE OTHER WAY!!
Construction (Former Employee) –  Calgary3 December 2018
What a horrible, horrible company to work for. Spare yourself and work anywhere else but. They treat their staff like complete garbage. They'll over work you one day, then no hours then fire you. They will fault find, no matter how careful you are with all that you do. They will promise to train and never follow through and when you seek help elsewhere you'll still get in trouble. Management will never talk to you like a human being, they'll only yell at you when they look for something anything you did wrong, it doesn't matter to this company you did 100 things right it only matters to this company you did 1 thing wrong. They under pay, short you hours on every project, every employee, every day so you seriously have to keep track of your hours or you'll be working for this company for free. Everybody hates working here and they're all backstabbers. All of the equipment isn't properly maintained and breaking down constantly. You'll be working without AC on the hottest summer day and shivering without heat in the dead of winter. If you get hurt at work they don't care about that either - just keep working! If you go to management with questions or help they will avoid you, won't answer their phone, won't call you back and then have a tantrum when you do something wrong no matter how careful you are. There's never any praise, profit sharing, Christmas Party - nothing. You're nothing more than an abused slave for this company.
Grumpy, young, unqualified, supervisors
Worker (Former Employee) –  Everywhere10 November 2018
Probably the most disorganized unprofessional Earthworks company in Calgary. Do not work there! You will waste your time and effort.they make promises they never keep, ie. Wage increases.No transparency with managment with workers onsite. I can go on and on but I need to watch some paint dry.
Pros
Zero
Cons
happiest day was my last day
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2018
they have safety in there company name and they preach safety all the time but not one of them actually practices safe working conditions. no breaks basically no training while expected to do a perfect job. every new job you go to your expected to know everything without being told anything. if you see a job listing for them you should avoid them like the plague. easily the worst company I have ever worked for
Pros
N\a
Cons
no breaks, poor job instructions, no concern for safety
Horrible company. Apply elsewhere
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2018
They treat their employees like garbage. They barely have any work and if they do, expect to work an insane amount of hours in unsafe conditions. Their pay is very low and it is very common to be understaffed for jobs while having two or three superintendents barking orders at you. They play favourites and don't care about most of their employees. Very questionable ethics
Pros
Not working there
Cons
Working there
Just a number, dishonest, lack of respect for employees
Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2018
You'll be told your hired after you do a try out with them for free, they'll lie about the wage you get then once your time for your "three month review" you'll be told there's no such thing, management is disorganized, don't utilize they're guys properly, they'll over work you till you drop, never have the right tools or equipment when you need it, getting time off is hard until you start to complain or make a mistake. At that point you'll just sit at home for a week. That's how they deal with issues. If your a liability to them, they don't like the type of person you are or try to speak up for yourself they'll sit you at home till you quit. I was with them for a few years and couldnt watch it happen anymore so I left. No bonuses just short checks, at least the benefits are good.
Pros
Service guys are good, a few good supervisors and operators
Cons
Paid isn't good, they short you on almost every check, bad environment
One of the best companies I have Ever Worked for.
Truck Driver - Class 1 (Current Employee) –  240039 frontier cres rocky view #4426 September 2018
All I can say is this is one of the best company I have ever worked for your not just a number. NO "slip seating" ! Management is #1 Were a TEAM!! Look forward to going to work every day what a concept...I love my "quad" and the variety of the jobs we have. Hardest part of the job for some drivers is knowing the truck routes.My favorite part of the job is going to work every morning
Pros
Great medical benifits
Cons
No cons for me
Can't say enough good things about this company
Construction (Current Employee) –  Calgary22 September 2018
If you're serious about wanting to excel a career in construction, you show up for work, don't complain, don't ask to leave early etc this company is AMAZING! They mentor and advance from within, of course with the right person too. I have the best foreman and crew I could ask for. They allow me to try different equipment. My foreman checks in with 'me' throughout the day (I haven't had this before). The pay is excellent, the working conditions are excellent, the crew & foreman are excellent, the projects are excellent. I couldn't ask for more! Great, great, great company!!
Underpaid and unorganized
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 August 2018
Everyone included myself were told a rate at hiring then when payday came along 3-4 dollars less then what we were told. No breaks and always the wrong equipment for the job. The owners say they take care of there workers but that is bs . They tell you what you wanna hear then do the opposite
Pros
Not working there
Cons
Working there
Run away from this company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 July 2018
As an employee you mean nothing family means nothing safety is preached but his second fiddle to them making money if anything happens you will be at fault dispatch is horrible sometimes you don't know till late at night and wrong a lot of the time management is lacking here don't book a holiday,or count on safety, dont work here 1 * is too high here.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Safety safety safety
Not a safe place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2018
The worst company ever you would be better to go to kidco the upper management got non clue and the truck push not very smart lazy as the day is long and the safety officer not on the ball when it comes to be safe
Pros
Not a fun place to work
Cons
Poor dispatching late at night
They come first!!!
Driver/Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2018
If you are single or the kids are grown up and not worried about the long hours. This is the place for you. Pay was ok, but never knew what you where doing or if you where working until late are night. If it rains or snow during the week, be ready to work the whole weekend that is coming up. Employees don't come first in the eyes of management only themselves. They rotate each day to different styles of jobs, that you don't get to finish a project you start or you end up with someone else stuff that went wrong.
Pros
Hours when weather is good
Cons
No Family time, No Holidays, Never knew what next day will bring until late at night. Poor communication with the workers
Great place, current employee.
Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2018
Owners are great, no micro managing, pay is great, always busy, supervisors are good, able to progress failry quickly. Safety culture is good. Love it
Pros
Killer pay
Cons
Nothing bad to say. I would encourage people to apply here.
Poor Leadership
Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2018
The management and site supervisors act poorly in their required obligations and responsibility's to the employee. More advanced leadership training is required for those in the supervisory positions at this company.
Pros
N/a
Cons
No a robot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at KLS EARTHWORKS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6