KIRKLAND LAKE GOLD Employee Reviews

Made me change careers
Co-op mining engineer (Former Employee) –  Macassa15 April 2019
First real mining co-op placement, learned lots, enjoyed touring with superivsors. Engineering dept is very boring. Realized mining engineering is not for me.
Pros
Long underground travel time
Cons
Mine site
Employees beware
Miner (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON11 April 2019
I was employed at kirkland lake gold from 2008 to 2012 . It's a good place to work and learn old school mining techniques, . Safety is by convenience !!!. I was one of the miners who would go and do jobs that were very unsafe , night shift I would be told there was a " safety issue " by my shifter . I was told if I would do it and keep my mouth shut they would pay me a hefty bonus .. witch I did, and I was payed extra bonuses for doing it !! . I was also asked to hide and cover up a what exactly happened when it came to a investigation where someone got hurt and his pelvis was crushed between two ore cars .. I admit I took their money .. One shift I came in to find out someone got hurt that day in my heading due to active ground .. so I went down to work to find my heading is very active , bumping every few mins .. so I roped it off and called seismic to reported it .. the mine superintendent , asked why I roped it off and said I was a blank blank started to talk down to me calling me a few chose words . I laughed at him and said I'm done doing your dirty work ... after that i lost my heading , because was told i wasn't getting enough footage, witch i blast every shift 8×10×8 round ....they stuck a me a miner one on the tram..for punishment....I put up with it for a month it got worse .so I quite after almost 5 years .. then they black balled me .. THEY GIVE YOU A BAD REFERENCE!!!!! When a potential employer calls for work history.... I havent worked in a mine in over 8 years now , they recked my mining career when all i did was tryed to help the company...... BE CAREFUL!!!!!  more...
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Getting black balled from underground for not preforming unsafe work
Brutal place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON28 March 2019
Terrible place to work. Safety is the least of their concerns. They have no problem sending you to work in an area with four times the legal limit of diesel equipment running. Equipment is so neglected from running with a skeleton crew of Maintenance people for so long. Compensation continually decreases as workload and expectations increase. Upper management only cares about profits and meeting projections. Employees are bullied and penalized by Management on a regular basis. Avoid this terrible place.
Pros
Um...ummm....um...great guys to work with (managment excluded)
Cons
Schedule, wages, heavy diesel exposure, terrible ground support, failing equipment, understaffed maintenance department, low morale, total disregard for employee health and safety, constant reduction in bonus, constant harassment and bullying by management.
Narrow vein Stope miner (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON21 February 2019
When I was there it was all narrow vein conventional mining. Good place to work no push and decent pay. 7 and 7 schedule. Should have stayed longer.
Pros
7on 7 off, good pay, easy going
Cons
They want you to move to kirkland
Just a number
Surface (Former Employee) –  Holt14 January 2019
Was great until KLGold bought SAS
Horrible place to work now.
Cut bonus.
No advancement when your qualified in one area.
Management only cares about them.
Production over safety.
Pays always wrong.
Grumpy people.
Untrained/no experience people over qualified people.
Pros
Close to town
Cons
Bosses
Horrible place to work.
Underground mechanic (Former Employee) –  Macassa29 November 2018
First few years were great. Now favouritism seams to be how the run this place. If you plan on applying for a maintenance position. I would highly reconsider. You will not be giving the proper tools or safety equipment for the job. On top of that you will be treated like a red headed step son on a good day. Lost count of the number of good mechanics we’ve lost the past 5 or so years. And the ones that are still there are looking for something else, and taking jobs with less pay. It Pretty much all boils down one idiot they have running the show, but they would rather lose quality guys than demote or fire this so called bush mechanic. I’m done hearing them say it’s gonna get better. I’m out the first chance I get.
Pros
They took them all away.
Cons
Where do I start?
Absolutely nothing but a job where you are just a disposable number
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON28 September 2018
Don't waste your time. They seem to pride themselves on safety but SUPA for them means Safety until production is affected. It's a garbage hole on the best of days. Maintenance is treated and made to feel like a lesser person , the general foreman is a bush mechanic whose intelligence may surpass a house pet, heavy on the may. Maintenance schedules are far overdue yet they seem to blame that on the mechanics. So short staffed you don't even have time to take a bathroom break. When I started I was entry level maintenance I'm close to 10 years and I've suffered a loss of 20 k a year since then. Take a pass on this pitiful excuse of a company I'm out as soon as I can be with a huge workforce who feels the same way.
Pros
A job
Cons
Constant bonus cuts, no travel, treat you like garbage, have the MOL in thier back pocket, your just a number.
Caring employers
Leader (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON4 January 2018
This team was really good with me even if english wasnt my current language. They help me with everything all the way. i have been happy to work with them.
good place
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON28 December 2017
local employer benefits, long term employment, seems the management are expanding on reserves, and a quality gold supply
air management to U/G being addressed, getting new equipment.
work life balance
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON2 November 2017
a typical day is non stop and jam packed! There are different challenges on all fronts. The work force is always changing and brings with it new adventures on a regular basis.
good place to work
Trammer (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON7 April 2017
work underground, very hot place, bring miners their mining equipment, load blasted rock in my train to deliver to rock shute, always work with a partner, great communication work enviroment
Underground hard rock miner (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON24 February 2017
Typical day of work consisted of morning safety huddle, ride down in the cage where we hopped on the bus to the ramp, muck, bolt, drill and blast. Stoper and Jackleg used to bolt, long tom or jacklegs to drill the round
Pros
close to home
Cons
Change in managemnet, push for production over safety
Miner 1 (Current Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON1 February 2017
Good place to work . Learned lots . Good crew.
Bin there a long time, born and raised here just want to relocate to give my family more options and opertunity.
good people to work with underground
Miner (Former Employee) –  Matheson, ON31 December 2016
Working for Kirkland Gold was good, 4 and 5 schedule was nice and the co workers I had were some really good guys. I was working at the Holt mine Underground.
loved the job wronful dissmissal ended carrer early
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON11 October 2016
Kirkland lake gold was a great place to wok loved my fellow workers and other staff. after a change in upper management several supervisors lost their jobs myself included.
Great place to enhance skills
Mine Geologist (Former Employee) –  Kirkland Lake, ON11 August 2016
High paced work environment. Skills you are able to develop are easily transferable. Interesting work environment with a great town to live in. Can also live outside of town on the 7/7 rotational schedule.