KIRKLAND LAKE GOLD

KIRKLAND LAKE GOLD Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
beautiful town, very nice people.
i like to be part of it but not to work for TASK the subcontractor on this time, they are so disorganized and i mean non interest in keep the people in the city entourage .

the gold company try do the best in terms of security and wellness, this is our strong point as workers, we alway gonna come back home .
If you want to find out what it’s like to work before the development of labour laws, work for KL gold at Macassa. Very dangerous, the place is waiting to cave in. Everyone there is toxic and negative. The construction general foreman is an especially evil man, who never listens to anyone. All the miners and underground workers are all incompetent and are Mickey mouse miners. They think it’s normal to mine like it is still the year 1935. The air quality is absolutely horrible, and it’s hot and humid. The construction crews are all lazy and useless.
Pros
No pros to working here
Cons
Dangerous environment, toxic workers, bad management
Very dangerous place to work, the company does not care for the overall greater good of their employees or the town of kirkland lake, would not recommend working here unless you actually live in the town of kirkland lake.
Please find work somewhere else this place is toxic and its only a matter of time before someone dies there.
Favoritism, unsafe, poor maintenance management, Underpaid. Ive never worked for such a terrible company before. For those still there i applaud you for your stupidity, don't take it personally but come on this place is terrible.

Watched my father blow his knees and have the company hound him ,falsely claim they were a nurse to get access to personal information. Put amazing stress on his financial situation adding extra stress to his life ,ultimately resulting in a massive heart attack. The head of HR has his death on her hands
Management treats people poorly due to being un-unionized. There is too much favoritizm and management often turns a blind eye to safety to get a job done.
Hippocracy at its finest. Just hearing the company slogan is anger inducing now. "Committed to the safety and success of our employees......" Ha! The track is appalling. The ditches never get dug, so the water washes out around the ties, and they get water logged. De-railing is an almost daily occurrence, with the track just rolling over or splitting apart sometimes, because the ties are so full of water that the spikes are loose in their holes, and hold nothing. There are lengths of track hundreds of feet long in places that are totally under water. There are places the track floats, and you can bounce on it like a trampoline. The pins and drawbars are so worn they're oblong, and if you try to slow down or take off too fast your cars just jacknife and jump the track, then you get to go rerail while standing in a foot of mud, and if you're loaded, you get to try and put 3 tons of orecar back on the track with a 1 ton come along. Some members of upper management are delusional, and go on about how they got better tonnage when they were just using muck machines, while ignoring the fact that their active stopes have gone from being a few hundred feet from the shaft, to over a mile out at this point. The track hasn't been maintained in years, and has aligned joints, so your knees and back take a horrible pounding throughout the day, and if you're trucking it's worse, because they only do ramp maintenance on the eve of a tour. To top that you're still expected to produce at a level could only be achieved in the event of a perfect day. Nothing is going to improve until management - more...
This place is a systemic bullying factory. Macassa rewards laziness and punished those who bust their a** to get things done. Preventative Maintenance is unheard of (breakdown maintenance) and they cant even give you enough oil (or somewhere to put the used oil) to properly do the PM, but still yell at you when it's not getting done fast enough!
Pros
The Guys you work with are awesome (minus management)
Cons
brainless shifters and GFs, stupid hot, zero regard for safety. ect. ect. ect.
Poor work conditions and instructions, enjoyed the work done underground and the employees i was working with, also poor communication between shifts.
Enjoyed my time here. Feel that I was recognized for the work that was being done. There are definitely area's that are understaffed and as a result burn out it definitely happening.
Mine pays well which makes the extra time/hours not as bad. Wish they would ask for input from people more before making big changes to processes/systems
First real mining co-op placement, learned lots, enjoyed touring with superivsors. Engineering dept is very boring. Realized mining engineering is not for me.
Pros
Long underground travel time
Cons
Mine site
I was employed at kirkland lake gold from 2008 to 2012 . It's a good place to work and learn old school mining techniques, . Safety is by convenience !!!. I was one of the miners who would go and do jobs that were very unsafe , night shift I would be told there was a " safety issue " by my shifter . I was told if I would do it and keep my mouth shut they would pay me a hefty bonus .. witch I did, and I was payed extra bonuses for doing it !! . I was also asked to hide and cover up a what exactly happened when it came to a investigation where someone got hurt and his pelvis was crushed between two ore cars .. I admit I took their money .. One shift I came in to find out someone got hurt that day in my heading due to active ground .. so I went down to work to find my heading is very active , bumping every few mins .. so I roped it off and called seismic to reported it .. the mine superintendent , asked why I roped it off and said I was a blank blank started to talk down to me calling me a few chose words . I laughed at him and said I'm done doing your dirty work ... after that i lost my heading , because was told i wasn't getting enough footage, witch i blast every shift 8×10×8 round ....they stuck a me a miner one on the tram..for punishment....I put up with it for a month it got worse .so I quite after almost 5 years .. then they black balled me .. THEY GIVE YOU A BAD REFERENCE!!!!! When a potential employer calls for work history.... I havent worked in a mine in over 8 years now , they recked my mining career when all i did was tryed to help the company...... BE CAREFUL!!!!! - more...
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Getting black balled from underground for not preforming unsafe work
Terrible place to work. Safety is the least of their concerns. They have no problem sending you to work in an area with four times the legal limit of diesel equipment running. Equipment is so neglected from running with a skeleton crew of Maintenance people for so long. Compensation continually decreases as workload and expectations increase. Upper management only cares about profits and meeting projections. Employees are bullied and penalized by Management on a regular basis. Avoid this terrible place.
Pros
Um...ummm....um...great guys to work with (managment excluded)
Cons
Schedule, wages, heavy diesel exposure, terrible ground support, failing equipment, understaffed maintenance department, low morale, total disregard for employee health and safety, constant reduction in bonus, constant harassment and bullying by management.
Lowing wages across the board , causing low moral. They are taking the stance that you are just a number, not showing that employees are of value. Years of service do not matter to them.
Pros
Long mine life
Cons
Moral
When I was there it was all narrow vein conventional mining. Good place to work no push and decent pay. 7 and 7 schedule. Should have stayed longer.
Pros
7on 7 off, good pay, easy going
Cons
They want you to move to kirkland
Was great until KLGold bought SAS
Horrible place to work now.

Cut bonus.

No advancement when your qualified in one area.

Management only cares about them.

Production over safety.

Pays always wrong.

Grumpy people.

Untrained/no experience people over qualified people.
Pros
Close to town
Cons
Bosses
First few years were great. Now favouritism seams to be how the run this place. If you plan on applying for a maintenance position. I would highly reconsider. You will not be giving the proper tools or safety equipment for the job. On top of that you will be treated like a red headed step son on a good day. Lost count of the number of good mechanics we’ve lost the past 5 or so years. And the ones that are still there are looking for something else, and taking jobs with less pay. It Pretty much all boils down one idiot they have running the show, but they would rather lose quality guys than demote or fire this so called bush mechanic. I’m done hearing them say it’s gonna get better. I’m out the first chance I get.
Pros
They took them all away.
Cons
Where do I start?
Don't waste your time. They seem to pride themselves on safety but SUPA for them means Safety until production is affected. It's a garbage hole on the best of days. Maintenance is treated and made to feel like a lesser person , the general foreman is a bush mechanic whose intelligence may surpass a house pet, heavy on the may. Maintenance schedules are far overdue yet they seem to blame that on the mechanics. So short staffed you don't even have time to take a bathroom break. When I started I was entry level maintenance I'm close to 10 years and I've suffered a loss of 20 k a year since then. Take a pass on this pitiful excuse of a company I'm out as soon as I can be with a huge workforce who feels the same way.
Pros
A job
Cons
Constant bonus cuts, no travel, treat you like garbage, have the MOL in thier back pocket, your just a number.
This team was really good with me even if english wasnt my current language. They help me with everything all the way. i have been happy to work with them.
local employer benefits, long term employment, seems the management are expanding on reserves, and a quality gold supply
air management to U/G being addressed, getting new equipment.
a typical day is non stop and jam packed! There are different challenges on all fronts. The work force is always changing and brings with it new adventures on a regular basis.
work underground, very hot place, bring miners their mining equipment, load blasted rock in my train to deliver to rock shute, always work with a partner, great communication work enviroment