Kingston Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

Management and Frontline Staff
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON9 May 2019
Terrible management and front-line staff are treated horribly. If you would like recognition or advancement do not work here. Also, the environment is mostly toxic, with plenty of bullying. An all-round awful place to work.
Opportubities await
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 March 2019
Once you are able to actually be hired on at KGH it is hard to gain full time employment. Once you are a full time employee you will gain benefits which is great!
Benefits
Cons
Hard to get full time right away
Prroductive and fun
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingston On23 February 2019
Great place to work. Supportive friendly staff that are welcoming to new emplotyees. Had a very good experience and would recommend it to new nurses!!!
Wonderful
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 January 2019
I had a great experience volunteering here. I enjoyed that I was able to bond with many patients.
A typical day included going to various rooms of patients and asking them and their families if i could help. On the pediatrics floor I played with the children, on the long term care floor I kept company with the patients and helped them eat or with various activities.
Nurse
Registered Nurse (Part-time Employment) (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 January 2019
Has a great reputation.
Foundational for my critical care career progression. Was easy to transition between departments. They also provided staff on site education such as ACLS and 12 lead ECG interpretation.
Nice Working from home
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON13 August 2018
It is very sporadic work and have to rely on someone else to pass along clients. Some times were busy other times there were weeks between clients. I know that is the industry but when that is your main job it makes it hard to want to stay there
Hours not Great
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON3 July 2018
The hours were not great but the is the price to pay for security of a hospital union job. I really loved the job but the 5 am was getting a bit hard to take. I loved it though.
A great experience
Student Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kingston25 June 2018
I have been on placement throughout my student experience with this hospital. I have worked on Connell 9 and 10, Kidd 7, Kidd 5, and placement and consolidation on Kidd 6. It has been wonderful to learn from the nurses, and see the different kinds of care needed. I have no bad experiences from here, just great learning opportunities.
Alright to work for
Patient Care Assistant - Medicine and Oncology (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 June 2018
They were okay to work for, Not the best and not the worst. Worked there for almost four years. The pay was great and the hours were okay but management was a joke!
Students are treated well
Nuclear Medicine Trainee (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 March 2018
Great company - very kind and fun people to work with, excellent patient care. As a student I was treated very well and the senior staff were very understanding of my struggles as a student.
Pros
great fun people
Cons
short lunch break
Many oppurtunites for professional growth
STAFF NURSE (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 March 2018
Had the privilege of working in a few departments within KGH, the most rewarding being the ICU. Management and staff were available and supportive, with an excellent orientation process.
Pros
Career enhancement
Cons
Schedule
Very positive learning environment
Registered Nurse to present (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 February 2018
Kingston General Hospital is a teaching hospital; therefore, there are ample learning opportunities in a positive environment with people open to teaching.
Great team atmosphere
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON30 January 2018
I loved my experience as a new grad at KGH. I was paired with a great nurse who helped me succeed and gain valuable experience. The only challenge was navigating through the hospital.
This job is much more dangerous than I had Anticipated
Protection Services (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON23 January 2018
The amount of physical violence that happens in this hospital is outrageous. So many drugs in Kingston that create violent outbursts from patients on a daily basis. People's lives are threatened more than I would like to admit. We do not get paid nearly enough to deal with the situations we deal with.
Patient care is outstanding
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON14 January 2018
I feel khsc treats it's patients with fairness and dignity. It is a joy to work along side very knowledgeable and talented medical staff. It is amazing to watch the wonders of medical advancements.
Pros
Being a part of the patient experience
Cons
Scheduling is all over. There is no work life balance.
Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 January 2018
I've enjoyed my career at KGH/KHSC. It's allowed for a lot of learning opportunities.
It has allowed for advancement.
Benefits are great. Good retirement plan.
Pros
stability, better-than-average pay for Kingston
Cons
I wish there were more courses or funding for courses for furthering our career
good place to work
Supply Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 January 2018
I enjoy mu position at kgh. I make a decent wage but up to recent the shift hours were good and have dropped off substantially. Management is alright. The hardest part of my job is staffing as it is a battle sometimes to get them to follow rules in place.
Okay place to work
PCA (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON31 December 2017
I have been lucky and work with a great team of staff, some of my peers unfortunately have nothad such positive experiences. The only way to get a full time job is through seniority, skills attitudes or advanced education does not factor in while seeking opportunities to advance into fulltime positions.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Way too many negative staff protected by ineffective union reps
Great environment
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 November 2017
I found the staff to be incredibly kind and accommodating while I went through my training period. I found that everyone maintained a high level of professionalism.
Toxic environment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Operating Room9 July 2017
The operating room is a very toxic environment, little support, verbal abuse is very common, management is not doing anything about it, don't work there or you will risk your mental health..