Kingston Health Sciences Centre

Kingston Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

Canada69 reviews
Excellent learning opportunities
Fast paced, uncertainty of what comes through the ER doors. must be adaptable, qualified to do emergency medicine, team player and must has leadership skills. Critical thinking is a must
This is an Amazing place to work
I worked at the Kingston General Hospital site. This job was incredible. lots of opportunities to grow and learn. I really enjoyed working here as a summer research student
Warehouse work environment
Inventory Management of medical supplies for 30years or more.
Held different roles such as Shipping and Receiving duties.

Correcting problems, orders and making inventory adjustments. Placing orders and dealing with various Vendors and Clients.
Independent work environment
People in the inventory services department were enjoyable to work with, and the job allowed for a good measure of independence. The only draw back was that sometimes the level of busyness could really vary from day to day.
Friendly environment
A great atmosphere to kick-off a nursing career. A very supportive learning environment, as it is a teaching hospital. Unionized. Can be slightly unorganized, at times.
Not a welcoming environment
They say nurses eat their young and this is true of KGH nurses. Most nurses I worked with here had spent their entire career at KGH and believed the only way to do things was the same way they had been doing it for 20 years. Lots of resistance to change, not very welcoming to people coming in with different backgrounds and experience.
Great place
Great place to work. Fast paced. Lots of overtime options. Great people to work with. Parking was a little hard to find, just have to come early enough.
Pay well even for non medical suppprt positions
Loved the job Great teams of physicians. The Nurses are the best at what they do. I met alot of great people there.You can pick up tons of overtime if you want. Some units are clique.
Fun atmosphere with many pros
Fun, relaxed atmosphere with both pro's and con's. Each job presents different challenges and although it can be tough at times, each department is different.
Pros
flexibility in my job
Cons
Slow-paced
Very fast paced
I enjoy the physicians that I work with; their level of skill is encouraging.
I like that I have contact with the union or HR if needed

I like the response when someone needs additional training

I think working at KHSC is a plus in anyones career
Great place to learn
KGH is a great place to learn as it is the largest healthcare centre between Toronto and Ottawa. Staff are exposed to a variety of different patient populations and great co-workers.
Amazing to work for
My daily job entailed me to do work for the nurses doctors etc to make their life easier to take care of the patients. I would transcribe orders, call in orders of blood tests call and redirect doctors when in a code.
good but no future
no job security so had to leave
learned a lot

stressful at times as union full time kept calling in sick and I worked twice as hard as they did.

Wish union was working as it was intended and not what it is now
Pros
people, great boss, benefits and salary
Cons
job insecurity/ union mentality
Good people to work with
Can be hectic at times, but overall good place to work. Great co workers and many helpful employees. Very good support throughout hospital
Pros
Excellent wage and benefits
Cons
Long hours on very busy days
Large hospital
I worked for many years at KGH and did many styles of nursing.. A normal day was 12hours of nursing care within a training hospital.. i learned a great deal over my years.
Management varied

Workplace culture varied

The hardest part of the job was knowing there was not enough community based support to help with discharged individuals

The connection with many co-workers made the job/vocation worth the years
Pros
Supportive staf
Cons
Sometimes the size of hospital interfered with potential
Management and Frontline Staff
Terrible management and front-line staff are treated horribly. If you would like recognition or advancement do not work here. Also, the environment is mostly toxic, with plenty of bullying. An all-round awful place to work.
Lots of room and support for advancement.
Lots of room to grow and advance. The hospital has been making efforts to bring up the technology and operations into a more advanced and lean place to work.
Pros
Great for advancement and training opportunities.
Cons
Lack of communication between departments.
Opportubities await
Once you are able to actually be hired on at KGH it is hard to gain full time employment. Once you are a full time employee you will gain benefits which is great!
Benefits
Cons
Hard to get full time right away
Prroductive and fun
Great place to work. Supportive friendly staff that are welcoming to new emplotyees. Had a very good experience and would recommend it to new nurses!!!
Wonderful
I had a great experience volunteering here. I enjoyed that I was able to bond with many patients.
A typical day included going to various rooms of patients and asking them and their families if i could help. On the pediatrics floor I played with the children, on the long term care floor I kept company with the patients and helped them eat or with various activities.
Nurse
Has a great reputation.
Foundational for my critical care career progression. Was easy to transition between departments. They also provided staff on site education such as ACLS and 12 lead ECG interpretation.