Kingston General Hospital Employee Reviews

Great environment
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 November 2017
I found the staff to be incredibly kind and accommodating while I went through my training period. I found that everyone maintained a high level of professionalism.
Toxic environment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Operating Room9 July 2017
The operating room is a very toxic environment, little support, verbal abuse is very common, management is not doing anything about it, don't work there or you will risk your mental health..
Avoid
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 April 2017
Issues are from the top down, nowhere to turn. HR, Unions, Managers are the issues. If I knew when I started what I know now I wouldn't have applied.
Cons
Management, Hr, Unions
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 April 2017
Loved working here - fast paced environment with lots of different things to see and learn. The staff was all very friendly and great to work with!!!!
Great learning experince
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Intensive care25 April 2017
Great environment to work in , hours as a casual nurse flexible. Challenging assignments available. Patient to nurse ratio not always safe. Friendly helpful staff. Hours not always available as a casual nurse
Fantastic
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 April 2017
KGH was a great place to work. The environment and my co-workers made going to work an enjoyable experience. The only downfall was the lack of training manuals when I started; however, my co-worker was a great help.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 February 2017
I enjoy working as a Registered Nurse at KGH . There are great people who make the job enjoyable. I am treated well and I have great benefits and salary.
Worst place to work
NOPE, NOPE (Current Employee) –  & a definite NO18 December 2016
Been working here for under a year and this place is one of the most disorganized and backwards hospital. Department/Management is very poorly run and lacks team-player mentality. Very stressful place to work.
Toxic environment
N/A (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 December 2016
I can only speak for my specific area, but toxic is an understatement. Management clueless and only out to promote themselves.

It's an environment of covering-your-butt and trying to stay afloat in a sea of relentless work thrown at you (after all, not enough staff to do everything).

Oh, and then management will throw "high priority" nonsense tasks at you requiring you to drop real work that benefits patient care... a great way for them to remind you that they're still the boss.

It's a shame. It's truly beneficial to work with patients and make a difference in their lives, but the bureaucracy is enough to make you smash your head through the monitor.

If this sounds desirable, go ahead and apply. Otherwise, consider Walmart/McDonald's/Uber over this.
Dynamic leadership
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 November 2016
Leadership position in a dynamic cardiovascular intensive care unit, averaging 1500 cardiac and 450 vascular surgical cases per year. Patient care coordinators are leaders in health care teams in which collaboration is the primary responsibility and is the most rewarding and satisfying aspect of the position. The opportunity to work closely with highly skilled professionals has provided me with the necessary skills to lead excellent teams within a challenging and rewarding health care environment
making a difference in peoples life and perspectives
Patient Care Assistant / Healthcare Aide (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 September 2016
a typical day at work you go in and start your rounds and start a regular routine if the patient needs something or help you assist them to the best of your ability. the hardest part of the job is not having the help when needed for transfers or anything that requires more than one person.they do not work well as a team I learned how to cope with a wide variety of personalities. the most enjoyable part of my job was the patients and making a difference in their lives.
Pros
Making a difference in peoples lives.
Cons
not having efficient time for the patients
Fast paced environment with attention to detail
Central Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 July 2016
I enjoy working with the people, as well as the fast paced environment at Kingston General Hospital. I was crossed trained on all aspects of the job, which allowed me to get to know the devices as well as surgeries
Great opportunity
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 June 2016
Great opportunity to work on my medical language and to read real research papers, which gave me insight on my possible future medical career; Interesting topics.
A wonderful walk-to-work opportunity for a graduate student
Occupational Health and Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 March 2016
I loved the atmosphere at KGH. Its location was accessible for me, and both jobs I had at KGH (one through CCAC and the other through Occ Health) were great opportunities to work in the public sector in a non-clinical capacity.
Pros
Walk-ability, great work culture
Cons
hard to get full time employment
Interesting
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 October 2015
In my position I can be doing anything from refiling and pulling over 100 charts in a day, to answering phones, inputting information into the company computer. Privacy of all information is of the utmost importance in my position. I work within a team varying between 6 and 10 depending on the day. Our manager does not micro manage but is always available if we need information or someone higher up "to have our backs" so to speak.
Pros
Varied responsibilities
Cons
Parking
Great Place to work
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON17 August 2015
Great Employer, Learned to be a Great PCA. Great employees to work with. A very caring staff. Greatest part of job was seeing people return home.
Outstanding care always
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON30 April 2015
Patient care comes first and foremost above all else. We have a great group of team players. My manager is great! she is very fair and understanding.
Pros
continuing education is encouraged
prodctive
Medical Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON9 February 2015
I worked in chemistry department in the core lab ,
Working with to many seniors technologist add a lot in my work experience ,also I have learned working in new systems .
Once Black Listed Allways Black Listed
RN General Surgery (Former Employee) –  Kingston, S16 October 2014
I was black listed by this Hospital in 2002 and have been unable to get work there since,,strange how the same administration people continue to wield the same power year after year....
Cons
One of the better places to work in Kingston
Medical Secretary/Departmental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 June 2014
Different departments may be different, but I have loved each of my jobs at KGH.
Pros
Not bad pay/benefits
Cons
Parking!