Kingston General Hospital Employee Reviews

A great experience
Student Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kingston25 June 2018
I have been on placement throughout my student experience with this hospital. I have worked on Connell 9 and 10, Kidd 7, Kidd 5, and placement and consolidation on Kidd 6. It has been wonderful to learn from the nurses, and see the different kinds of care needed. I have no bad experiences from here, just great learning opportunities.
Alright to work for
Patient Care Assistant - Medicine and Oncology (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 June 2018
They were okay to work for, Not the best and not the worst. Worked there for almost four years. The pay was great and the hours were okay but management was a joke!
Many oppurtunites for professional growth
STAFF NURSE (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 March 2018
Had the privilege of working in a few departments within KGH, the most rewarding being the ICU. Management and staff were available and supportive, with an excellent orientation process.
Pros
Career enhancement
Cons
Schedule
Great team atmosphere
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON30 January 2018
I loved my experience as a new grad at KGH. I was paired with a great nurse who helped me succeed and gain valuable experience. The only challenge was navigating through the hospital.
This job is much more dangerous than I had Anticipated
Protection Services (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON23 January 2018
The amount of physical violence that happens in this hospital is outrageous. So many drugs in Kingston that create violent outbursts from patients on a daily basis. People's lives are threatened more than I would like to admit. We do not get paid nearly enough to deal with the situations we deal with.
Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 January 2018
I've enjoyed my career at KGH/KHSC. It's allowed for a lot of learning opportunities.
It has allowed for advancement.
Benefits are great. Good retirement plan.
Pros
stability, better-than-average pay for Kingston
Cons
I wish there were more courses or funding for courses for furthering our career
good place to work
Supply Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON4 January 2018
I enjoy mu position at kgh. I make a decent wage but up to recent the shift hours were good and have dropped off substantially. Management is alright. The hardest part of my job is staffing as it is a battle sometimes to get them to follow rules in place.
Okay place to work
PCA (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON31 December 2017
I have been lucky and work with a great team of staff, some of my peers unfortunately have nothad such positive experiences. The only way to get a full time job is through seniority, skills attitudes or advanced education does not factor in while seeking opportunities to advance into fulltime positions.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Way too many negative staff protected by ineffective union reps
Great environment
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON5 November 2017
I found the staff to be incredibly kind and accommodating while I went through my training period. I found that everyone maintained a high level of professionalism.
Toxic environment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Operating Room9 July 2017
The operating room is a very toxic environment, little support, verbal abuse is very common, management is not doing anything about it, don't work there or you will risk your mental health..
Medical imaging
Clinic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 June 2017
patient registration, answer phones, direct calls to appropriate areas,
book tests, filing, coping, scanning, cd for images, filing of medical
xrays.
Avoid
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 April 2017
Issues are from the top down, nowhere to turn. HR, Unions, Managers are the issues. If I knew when I started what I know now I wouldn't have applied.
Cons
Management, Hr, Unions
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 April 2017
Loved working here - fast paced environment with lots of different things to see and learn. The staff was all very friendly and great to work with!!!!
Great learning experince
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Intensive care25 April 2017
Great environment to work in , hours as a casual nurse flexible. Challenging assignments available. Patient to nurse ratio not always safe. Friendly helpful staff. Hours not always available as a casual nurse
Fantastic
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 April 2017
KGH was a great place to work. The environment and my co-workers made going to work an enjoyable experience. The only downfall was the lack of training manuals when I started; however, my co-worker was a great help.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON24 February 2017
I enjoy working as a Registered Nurse at KGH . There are great people who make the job enjoyable. I am treated well and I have great benefits and salary.
Worst place to work
NOPE, NOPE (Current Employee) –  & a definite NO18 December 2016
Been working here for under a year and this place is one of the most disorganized and backwards hospital. Department/Management is very poorly run and lacks team-player mentality. Very stressful place to work.
Toxic environment
N/A (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 December 2016
I can only speak for my specific area, but toxic is an understatement. Management clueless and only out to promote themselves.

It's an environment of covering-your-butt and trying to stay afloat in a sea of relentless work thrown at you (after all, not enough staff to do everything).

Oh, and then management will throw "high priority" nonsense tasks at you requiring you to drop real work that benefits patient care... a great way for them to remind you that they're still the boss.

It's a shame. It's truly beneficial to work with patients and make a difference in their lives, but the bureaucracy is enough to make you smash your head through the monitor.

If this sounds desirable, go ahead and apply. Otherwise, consider Walmart/McDonald's/Uber over this.
Dynamic leadership
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON11 November 2016
Leadership position in a dynamic cardiovascular intensive care unit, averaging 1500 cardiac and 450 vascular surgical cases per year. Patient care coordinators are leaders in health care teams in which collaboration is the primary responsibility and is the most rewarding and satisfying aspect of the position. The opportunity to work closely with highly skilled professionals has provided me with the necessary skills to lead excellent teams within a challenging and rewarding health care environment
making a difference in peoples life and perspectives
Patient Care Assistant / Healthcare Aide (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 September 2016
a typical day at work you go in and start your rounds and start a regular routine if the patient needs something or help you assist them to the best of your ability. the hardest part of the job is not having the help when needed for transfers or anything that requires more than one person.they do not work well as a team I learned how to cope with a wide variety of personalities. the most enjoyable part of my job was the patients and making a difference in their lives.
Pros
Making a difference in peoples lives.
Cons
not having efficient time for the patients