Kinark Child and Family Services

Kinark Child and Family Services Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
Working in the residence can be very stressful at times. Working with high behavioural youth, lots of restraining which can be mentally and physically exhausting. Pay is way above most group homes salaries which is nice.
Kinark was run like a business, not a social service agency committed to improving the lives of a vulnerable population. The interview process was sneaky. They show you a salary grid giving the impression you can move up, but really your locked in. I was hired as a crisis worker and was told after the interview I had to be available 24/7, no work/life balance. If you called in sick, a supervisor would aggressively question you upon returning.
The KOC (Kinark Outdoor Centre) is a fun place to work and it's a very fulfilling job. Nice to have accommodations, however they are a bit run down (especially the summer cabins for staff). I also think we deserve more than minimum wage.
Management was okay, some are great, however some just do the bare minimum, they need someone there whose going to take initiative and is willing to stand up at company meetings and be a stronger voice for the KOC
Pros
provides accomodations and meals, lots of outdoor activities to do
Cons
food isn't healthy, management could improve, need to hold all staff accountable (some given more chances than others)
I enjoyed the work, there are noticeable gaps within policy and the system as a whole. I do not wish to work with this company again. The work and pay were worth the distress temporarily.
Great training and experienced senior staff to learn from. After the funding cut, integrity has gone down. Highly competitive to grow in. Offer lots of different training depending on seniority and years of experience. This also includes BCBA hours, unfortunately not everyone gets the opportunity to receive supervision.
The people that work here talk badly about clients’ parents that have their own mental health issues. They gossip and judge people based on mental illness, while working at Ontario’s largest children’s mental health agency. Hard work is not valued here, rather how well you fit in socially. You can outwork your whole team with paperwork, but if you don’t engage in conversation enough, you’re pushed out of the company . Even if you never had a negative work review they find a reason to fire you. Be careful if you have your own mental health struggles, because then you are a target and ostracized. Not everyone is equal at this company.
I worked at Kinark for 18 years in various positions which provided me a great learning opportunity. I worked within the Children's Mental Health Program as well as Autism
I don't know where to start... Awful staff. The females are not friendly or welcoming. I told HR and they didn't do anything. A lot of bullying. The people are very "clicky". Would recommend.
Pros
Cons
everything
This organization will exploit your skills and good willed character to churn out projects on their behalf. This agency does not promote a positive corporate culture. there is no room for advancement if you are not connected directly to high management. There is no hope for equal industry standard pay for your work either.
Pros
Good people are attracted to this organization and stay there.
Cons
pay, management, career advancement
Kinark is very devoted to helping service children with Autism. The training for staff is rigorous and the standards are very high, The company will often promote from within,
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
communication from management
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Kinark Child and Family Services?
I was provided great training in my time with Kinark child and youth services Great people. Overall a great career opportunity. I held several positions successfully.
Loved room for advancement. The boss was very supportive, encouraging, wanted the best for his employees. The people were awesome and I still have friends from there.
Good regional services for children mental health. Good employees support. Head office in Markham, so providing opportunities for more affordable housing in north Toronto.
I worked here in a volunteer capacity so my ability to comment on some of these categories is limited, however the environment was supportive and my colleagues were invested in the efforts of the organization.
The volunteer supervisor was very supportive and communicated well with the volunteers and ensured they cared for had the tools they needed. Very diverse and inclusive work environment.
Pros
Annual Volunteer Lunch
Cons
On call to volunteer
I volunteered here, they're amazing. The managers are awesome, and they love giving you opportunities to show your knowledge. I wish the volunteers would be given more opportunities to actually work in the field vs. childcare, but overall awesome experience with everyone on each team.
Pros
Amazing staff, easy to balance with personal life
Cons
No personal support, Not learning the field
Kinark is a company have high standards for their services. However, much of the services they can provide is based on the fundings available. Your job may change depending on the ministry guidelines and funding options.
This agency provides much opportunity for ongoing training and workshops, consistent supervision and career goal support. Caseloads can be intensive, as well as paperwork.
Pros
Ongoing professional training and workshops
Cons
paperwork and reports took time away from clients sometimes
As a student or employee with Kinark Child and Family Services (Aurora office) you can expect lots of company provided training and great supervision.
Cons
Great place to work . No pressure what so ever. Every laid back environment with all of space to move up within the company if you stay for a while. Although the pay for entry level position could be better .
Pros
great co wokrers
Cons
commute
The KOC is a phenomenal place to work. The front - line staff and management are all great to work with. The environment is fun, safe, and supportive, and at the end of the day, you feel like you have done meaningful and purposeful work, and are appreciated for it. The other reviews do not represent the current culture at the KOC, apply and see for yourself.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kinark Child and Family Services. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9