Killam Apartment REIT

Killam Apartment REIT Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews
Overall Good Company
Working for Killam was a good learning experience for me. Most of the staff at Head Office are great, but there is not alot of training or support for anyone in the West. Keep in mind that the head office is in Halifax, NS and they are just starting to branch out west with locations in Edmonton and Calgary. I did learn alot from them but did leave due to conflict with the director. I did not feel that my voice was being heard and that I had no where to turn to so that it could be resolved. As to be honest I did not know who I could trust. So I felt that the best thing I could do for my team was to leave my position so that they would not be affected. Overall my experience was good but as a property manager you have no work life balance and it can be a real struggle when you feel that you have no support from head office or HR to back you up. I would work for them again but I would make sure that there were some very strong ground rules in place before starting.
N/a
Very laid back company. A very caring company. I’m excited and pleased to be apart of their team. They will do everything they can to help their tenants.
Pros
Family like company.
Cons
There are no cons
Great people and culture.
Killam is a growing company with lots of opportunity. They have a great culture and I would recommend working there. The HR is highly motivated to ensure a great workplace.
Productive and Friendly Workplace
I have been with Killam a short time but I have been welcomed by every single staff member I have been in contact with. When I expressed my desire to work towards advancing a career with Killam, I was given full attention plus a great interim opportunity!
Pros
Great hours - unexpected bonuses - friendly staff
Cons
None so far
Stay away! Worst place to work for! Run & don't look back!
The work never ends and you are expected to be available at all times whether you're ill or on holidays. They will praise you if things go well but make it very clear to all staff who are the under performers. They are very quick to throw you under the bus if there is a problem. There is no support and honesty between upper management and staff. HR and upper management are corrupt and unethical. If you want to throw away your personal life and your health, this is the place for you.
Trying to find new job
Pros
Low pay
Cons
salary, upper management, hours
This interview might not be helpful, I only helped my brother when he worked there
Maybe it'd be better to interview someone else on this, but I didn't really work there. I helped my brother but that's about all that I ended up doing.
n/a
Great place to work in. Amazing colleagues too. Constant room for growth as the person working in management was in my position a few months ago.Nice!
Worst place I’ve ever worked
They let us go 2 weeks before our six month review which was also 2 weeks before Christmas this was an extreme shock to the system. The reasoning from the person who hired us said because we didn’t eat with them at a small cramped gathering at one of the buildings your not team players. Not once were we made to feel comfortable or even offered any training for the things I was responsible for.
Pros
Can’t think of a single one
Cons
Just make the right decision before applying
Great company overall
Dealing with Tenants daily was enjoyable. I learned that if you are nice to people, they will change their attitude also. Management didn't play the part I assumed they would play and I was left with situations that were not handle properly. The workplace I was in was fun. It was great to see other employees enjoying their work.
Pros
Dealing with people.
Cons
Stronger management
Pay isn't worth the trouble
Ok to get foot in the door but pay isn't worth what they expect of you. They want top of the line performance while paying the bare minimum. Head office seems appreciative of the work put in but generally unaware of how much you're actually being asked to do unless you work in Halifax. great place to work if you're in upper management but lower wage staff is worked to the bone for scraps
Great Buildings but i had mold growing in almost every unit
Staff were Great but no communication from upper management. i would hear this from all tenants. As a Resident manager my utmost attention was given to a safe building and made sure all procedures and regulations were up to date at all times, I am afraid that i do not have anything good to say on my upper management as it seemed to be more important to have lunch office days than to take care of incoming concerns,
Negative environment
Tenants are relatively rude and demanding no matter how much time you spend attending to their needs which extend beyond a normal parameters.
Criminal activity is high in their buildings!
Stay away! Worst place to work for!
Horrible upper management that treats the tenants way better than the staff. Do your self a favor and find somewhere else to work. The salary is a joke.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Salary, work hours, on call everyday 24/7
Best place in halifax to work
Great culture and very supportive environment.
Lots of space to grow .

Great benefits and company puts a lot of effort to improve employee health through activities happening all year long
Wonderful Organization
Working for this organization has been great. Everyday I learn something new and they care about their employees very much. Came from a totally different industry and feel very valued working here. Am listened to and allowed to share ideas and information - based on my experience.

Management - Senior and immediate are very approachable and they take a team approach.
it was nice got some fresh air enjoyed the weather
a typical work day is i go out and i pick up garbage for 2 hours a day than go inside management is friendly the people are nice the hardest part is when the bags get full and break
Terribly run and never organized
Ran maintenance for them and always had impossible tasks. Between the cheapness and the lack of communication and even cutting corners cause “we don’t live there” would never live in an apartment run by them and will never work for them again.
Pros
Didn’t have to wear a company shirt which saved from embarrassment
Cons
99% of the job
very active job position
Great opportunity to all types of work and very active job position
new tenant and people relations great work environment. opportunity to grow within the company
It was a good place to work i injuyed working there
I found that steve loader and the others was the best to work for could not ask for more i would work for them again if they let me.if it do not work out with this job.
Great career to build on.
What other job is there that will give you a free apartment, may be amazing or not so great depending on the area, while paying you a decent amount? Staff is nice, no place is close to perfect, but find the lazy ones don't bug you while the nice ones help out a lot, so works out well.
Pros
Live where you work, help provided and easy to reach and fast to respond.
Cons
Work where you live, some crazy tenants.
Not fun to work four them.
Was live in super never work four them the pay is not good . Was former worker they run a bad management they don't care as long they get there rent on time. And super has to deal with the tenits.
Pros
Low pay
Cons
Bad managment.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Killam Apartment REIT. Our community is ready to answer.