Kiewit

Kiewit Employee Reviews

Found 561 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,689 reviews

It was a great learning experience

Great crew I worked with, the painting superintendent was fantastic!!! Mostly an experienced team of painters, they were great at helping the inexperienced people

Good experience, hard work was expected of you, well compensated, very generous company.

Split shifts were tough, 3 am start, 8 pm finish, sometimes asked, but never expected, to work all day at other tasks. My only complaint is the lack of sleep and family life. I enjoyed the work and the camaraderie.

Pros

Prizes, overtime

Cons

Split shifts

Good hours good pay

Very good hours and a good pay can make a lot of overtime and almost always work year around great benefits since they hire through the union however such a big company sometimes it is unorganized

Pros

Overtime

Cons

No set schedule never know what time your done

Snot nosed children management

They say safety, until they need something done then it’s no safety. The dump truck they had me run had a serious issue with air pressure bleeding off to the point of being immobile. Then these petty little children playing at supervisors don’t want to hear it. Safety is a huge short coming with management. They short hours and pay. Never seen any job run so poorly.

Pros

Full stop when it rains

Cons

Field supervisors are a clique with no clue

Very good

i Lake. Company KIEWIT good safety and quality i do lots of welding joints stainless steel and carbon steel my x-ray report always good management people respect each other

great safety culture

At Kiewit they just dont say it they do it !! great people great plan ,great execution !! Loved the planning in the work felt heard by peers, and management .

Pros

Awards for safety weekly

Cons

the job ended

Typical Construction Site

Trades of all levels worked safely together. Excellent communication maintained with management for the duration of the project. Project was run with the utmost efficiency.

BEST Company ever and would love to work there again...

The absolute BEST company to work for and the most amazing coworkers. Would LOVE the opportunity to work for Kiewit again. Management was great as well.... ....Worked as Janitorial on the MLMR site and absolutely loved it......

Pros

Great living in camp, both myself and my husband worked there, everything being free, Meals were delicious every day, just a great overall experience with flights right to Newfoundland was a bonus

Cons

Can't say I had any cons. Was the best experience ever.

Great guys to work with

You work in a very fast pace to get things done right the first time so you have to go back to don’t do it all over again and keep your peace of equipment clean and tidy and fallow all safety rule and regulations and it will just find

Pros

Sometimes

Cons

12 hour days

Inconsistent company policies.

Terrible management. Inconsistent in discipline. Management is production over safety. Not a safe contractor to work for. Payroll consistently wrong and nobody ever corrected it until the last paycheck. Green engineers in positions of management and superintendents that are completely disingaged.

Poorly managed

From the minute you step out of the orientation you can feel the stress. They talk safety but production is always number. Management is not based on skill but who you know. Superintendents for regulated trades aren’t always knowledgeable in that trade and in some cases are engineers of a different discipline. They hire friends in one door and lay off good workers through another, sometimes the same week or day.

Pros

Safety rodeo’s and swag

Cons

Inconsistency and poor management

productivity

working kiewit was very meaningful and it is fair in terms of environment, safety and integrity. cooperation works and management. training improving skills.

Pros

drinking and coffee

Cons

overtime

Turn around and dont get in because of salary given

Kiewit cares more about management and looking good to the client than the workers.Management treats the workers like dirt , only a select few care. The people that Kiewit puts in supervisory positions is a joke. They have upervisors and foremans with zero experience and who threatened all of our jobs to our face and when anybody dared speak up or say anything they would fired you, like they did with me because of my honest oponion of useless paperwork that nobody reads.When anything goes wrong top management will throw any worker or foreman directly under the bus to cover their own incompetent actions. Kiewit is one of the most toxic companies to work for with a terrible culture and low morale . They cancelled the pension contributions and gave lame excuse.

Pros

pay rates

Cons

all the company

Rewarding

I like Kiewet! They are awesome to work with! You can progress in your career at a good pace and the safety culture is second to none.The big projects I’ve. Even on have been fun!

Pros

Great work environment

Cons

A lot of red tape on sites but still a good work environment!

The work place encouraging to acquire more skills and knowledge.

Over all a great place to work with safety culture. Supervisors are helpful with long years experience and trouble shooting. The safety lessons one can imbibe will be a great asset in career.

Structure hiérarchique possibilité d'avancement et poste de supervision.

Quand je suis allé travailler chez Kiewit j'y suis allé comme arpenteur, mais dans mes plus récentes expériences de travail j'ai occupé que des postes de contremaître et surintendants, j'aurais aimé que chez Kiewit avoir l'occasion d'avoir la chance d'occuper un poste de contremaître mais l'occasion ne s'est malheureusement pas présenté. Je ne veux surtout pas dénigrer le travail de certains contremaîtres que j,ai eu à cotoyer, mais je peux vous assurer que mon expérience aurait été une valeur ajoutée à l'équipe Kiewit.Au plaisir et à la prochaine peut-être.

Pros

Équipements pour travailler de première qualité, intégration facile.

Cons

Structures et chaines de commandement lourdes qui pourraient être plus efficaces.

Stressful and chaotic work environment.

Kiewit cares more about schedule and looking good to the client than the workers. Management treats the workers like dirt , only a select few care. The people that Kiewit puts in supervisory positions is a joke. Scaffolders as construction mangers, apprentices as foreman with zero experience , labourers as piping superintendents who threatened all of our jobs to our face and when anybody dared speak up or say anything she would fire us or lay us off. She screamed at us daily and if we did not hit a PF of 1 we thought we would be fired. Followed her exact instructions and she didn’t like it so she set me down then fired me . When anything goes wrong top management will throw any worker or foreman directly under the bus to cover their own incompetent actions. Kiewit is one of the most toxic companies to work for with a terrible culture and low morale . They cancelled our pension contributions and gave us a lame excuse. We no longer get any money into our pension as of a year ago and company matched rrsp was cancelled so your left with a terrible wage and weak benefits.

Pros

Decent safety prizes to be won.

Cons

Terrible management and supervision

Great place to learn and grow.

I worked here for a four month enginnering co-op at Imperial's Kearl Lake project. The work was fast paced and always something new to learn. Most people were friendly, helpful, and easy to work with. It was a great experience to learn about the construction industry.

Pros

Great pay and opportunities

Cons

Long hours and remote locations

Had a great experience with Kiewit ran my rig at ipl

When working for Kiewit in the ipl project I had a good experience once they brought on our rigs it was no longer a job just to hold me off it was one I wanted to keep so production went up along with moral as long as they have rig work I’d definitely go back as far as by hand I would only use it as filler

Pros

It’s a big company so they typically have work

Cons

It’s a big company so your just a number as us

I enjoy the everyday challenges and the team work attitude. I have always felt I have someone watching out for me..even at a higher level than just my direct supervisor. I have had plenty of opportunities to gain more knowledge over the past 4 years as well as being given many opportunities to share my ideas and concerns. Excellent feedback at review time and a chance to reach out when there are negative things that effect my work. As for my direct reports they are very respectful and have an open door attitude so I dont feel alone and on my own. Probably the best work atmosphere ever !!

Pros

excellent benefits

Cons

Nothing to report for now

best company that i have ever worked for (so far).

very professionial company to work for where your safety is always job one. work camps are overall second to none from your accomadation to all your meals and lunches,they have forgotten nothing wisk i was there now

Pros

take care of you

Cons

got to fit in

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kiewit. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement