Kiewit Employee Reviews

Excellent
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2018
Kiewit was a fair paying employer. Lots of fun safety meeting, prizes, awards for excellent safety.
Kiewit would be my go too company. Whenever there was an issue they pin pointed and everyone learned.
Pros
Pay was fair
Cons
No job security
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC1 August 2018
Awesome team, exciting projects, I recommend it to anyone who wants a real challenge and a lot of opportunities for promotions. The culture is one of camaraderie, team work and safety.
Pros
Team
A joke
Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2018
Managment has no idea what there doing more equipment sits than works have there plans arnt correct. Hire a bunch of operators and stick them in equipment they ither wernt hired to run or equipment labouors normally run. Have nice new equipment and gps equipment but cant use it cuz that requires prep and actual plans calgary ring road project is a joke seen more ppl quit than stay. Been on one crew with 5 different formans in the last 3 weeks. They should wake up before they lose tgis whole project at this rate they wount make it for 2020
Pros
Nice new gear
Cons
Everything else
No complaints
Concrete Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 July 2018
They took good care of me while working for them. Camp job but the hours were reasonable with a fly in fly out rotation. Learned a lot and was given chances to expand my skill set
Always been on challenging projects
Gerant de Bureau Senior (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC3 June 2018
I worked at Kiewit for over 36 years all across Canada and in New York City. The hardest part of the job was to be away from the family most of the time as most projects were remote job site with a rotation schedule (ex: 3 weeks on site and 1 week off).
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Long hours and working at remote job sites for most of my career
Nights and Cold
Ironworker (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 June 2018
We were on the night shift for most of the schedule although we did work days a few times. The gang was pretty amiable and someone was always cracking jokes. Kiewit is a large world wide conglomerate and has projects around the world. It was winter in Canada at the time so the nights were especially cold. Met some nice guys while there. I thought the management could have been better.
Safe work space.
Painter/Sandblaster (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL25 May 2018
This was one of my first Painting experience. Enjoyed working here. Safe and clean work space with experienced and friendly co-workers. Travel distance to and from was short.
Good group of guys, good work enviorment
Electrical QC (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2018
Good safe work culture, nice work/life balance. They have all the tolls that are required to complete a task. Kiewit offers their employees opportunity's to grow within the company.
Great people, paid flights good camps superior safety culture
Senior Labourer, (Former Employee) –  Bethune, SK22 May 2018
Best safety culture I have ever worked in
emphasis on ability and on the job certifications for equipment
preventative maintenance schedules
good camps
paid flights
job security based on availability of work
Pros
paid flights
Oil field life
Heavy Equipment Operator Lead hand (Former Employee) –  Kearl Lake, AB7 May 2018
Remote locations in camp away from home. Pay is great but a huge disconnect between field workers and management. Uncertainty of how long your job will be there.
Again no complaints
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Bull Arm, NL2 May 2018
I have no complaints about this company either. I loved all the jobs I had here in Newfoundland, I wish I had more opportunities to work in my province.
great company to work for
Electrical Foreman (Former Employee) –  Alberta24 April 2018
great company to work for had many years with them in northern alberta they treat everyone the same which allowed for a great morale among the workers and the management
Not a bad place to work
Chargehand/Scaffolder.inspector (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL20 April 2018
The hours and shifts were good. Could get overtime. Wages were good. Had good employee medical program. Could go home every evening. People were good to work with.
Pros
I was in Newfoundland
Cons
shut down now for 3 years
Poor work/life balance
Field Engineer/ Estimator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2018
Expected to always put work first and involves working long hours for low compensation when out on projects away from home. When working locally in the office the pay is fair and hours are acceptable. Good RRSP matching and benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Working away
nice place to work
Senior Structural Engineer (contract) (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL10 April 2018
I was working as contractor. Lots of overtime. The leads know there stuff. I recommend this place. I would definitely work there again. Work with some Norwegian for the 1st time and they are very competent. Good sense of humor.
Pros
lots of work. People incline to help
Cons
Could quite stressful at time.
If you want a career in the Trades it is an excelent place to be.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB7 April 2018
A typical day at Kiewit at the Module Yard in Sherwood Park was an adventure from Day one. As an electrician I was given duties that I was able to accomplish as well as challenges. You usually get split up into groups and you may put heat trace on the module or do grounding chores or put in cable tray as needed. It is an Industrial Environment so you have to be ready for anything. The safety culture is good and so is the management team. The hardest part of the job is your going to get dirty sometimes you have to be a welder's helper and even layout part of the Module so the Welder can
weld in C Channel as needed for structural and even Strut for installation of the cable tray. At the end of the day you feel like you have accomplished something. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know everyone going to the Company get together's and getting a Turkey and a safety bonus at the end of the Year.
Pros
Lots of work when things are booming.
Cons
In any Construction business there are layoff's when the work is done.
mixed
Travel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  calgary15 March 2018
I have given a rating for this company, and feel it to be inappropriate to discuss why I actually feel that way . Its a great spot to if you can devote all of your time to it.
once in a lifetime experience
Ironworker/Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL14 March 2018
was an eye-opener. They had a very safety orientated work site including the craft voice in safety (C.V.I.S) program which was well rounded and useful.
Great company, Great people
Steamfitter-pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 March 2018
Great company to have worked for. very safe feeling environment, with a full support system to let you know, you are backed fully by the safety system. a company who believes their workers and their safety record are the reason for success.
great place to work overall
Millwright Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Marystown, NL11 February 2018
Great place to work overall. Great benefits and atmosphere was great. The site was close to my home like within driving distance so that was a plus for me. great overall!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kiewit. Our community is ready to answer.