Play YouTube video button
Kiewit

Kiewit Employee Reviews

Canada528 reviews
Great guys, procedures and structure in place for success but poor managment above the foreman level.
Safety conscious company with the procedures and structures in place to be successful unfortunately inexperience above the foreman level tossed all that down the drain. Junior engineers running the show, or for example civil engineers filling structural and mechanical superintendent positions. Overall positive experience with the company but the frustration of not meeting project targets due to unorganization brought my rating from a 4 Deven 4.5 to a 3.
Excellent place to work
Excellent place to work. Favors group collaboration and use of one's initiative. I had lots of support at the beginning To learn the appropriate software required and support when my supervisor was away on sick leave. I now have 2 new bosses and they are great individuals who have helped me better my skills and knowledge.
Pros
Excellent salary and benefits.
Cons
Not into part time work
Surprised management hasn't killed anyone
Spent about a year working on the IPPL project. The CM is a scaffolder, the PM drives around site smoking in his company issued vehicle, but if you check the time on your phone you're gonna get written up. Out of all the places I've worked, this place is fueled by nepotism and incompetence. You have first year apprentices that are GFs just because their brother is a superintendent, and they have to classify him as an equipment operator since his apprenticeship has been cancelled. You also have a "union" steward that is supervision, how that makes senses I have no idea.
Pros
Everyone hates the place as much as you do
Cons
They pay garbage wages, and anyone giving direction is super incompetent
In experienced superiors are leading the job. Most of them are buddies , In experience shows in safety also. Complicated safety rules making unsafe w
In experienced superiors are leading the job. Most of them are buddies ,
In experience shows in safety also. Complicated safety rules making unsafe work atmosphere.
une très belle expérience
j'ai vécu une très belle expérience et surtout un bon soutien et des gens formidable. Très bien
Dont waste your time
Disorganized, clicky. Disaster . Empty promises. Dont bother with trying to make a spot for yourself they will discard you like you are nothing even after being loyal and showing up every day .
Fast-paced work environment, stressful if you can't handle the workload
There was a real push for me to hit the ground running with this internship as we were in the middle of a project and there wasn't much room for sloppiness or a long learning curve, so having a good head on your shoulders is necessary.
It sometimes felt a little rushed when my supervisor was explaining to me how to perform a task as he has a bunch of his own responsibilities to worry about, so it might be the kind of place where if you need to ask how to do something more than once or twice than it isn't the ideal work environment for you.

That being said, the more I was able to handle on my own, the more responsibilities they'd give me which was a big plus in terms of experience.

Overall positive experience, the workload could get a little heavy at times but i generally didn't work more than 10 hours OT in a week, and I've heard of other interns having it worse. Also, the more organized you are, the less strenuous it'll be to get all your work done on time.
Room for advancement for carpenters
Didnt like how unorganized job was. Left hand doesnt know what right hand is doing. Too many young engineers trying to prove themselves, pretending they know everything. Wrong trades assigned to tasks.
Excellente compagnie
Compagnie très bien structurée,etFORMATION continue bien encadrée. Je recomande KIEWIT
Great place, excellent culture
Great place while they had lots of construction projects but they ran out of work and laid everyone off. Such is the business of construction.........
Typical scab clac company
Do not work here. Top heavy white hats with little to no experience. Full of baglickers in the office and win the field. Company runs the show with minimal care for being paid on time.
I wouldn't recommend working here!!
They are notorious for hiring skilled tradesmen and apprentices, then laying them off right before their 3 months, only to hire a new batch of people a week later. The work culture here is poor. Everyone is miserable and on edge about job security. A lot of the Forman are bullies and the supers go along with it. Save yourself a lot of stress and keep job searching elsewhere.
Depends who you are
Mod yard.... excellent place to work.
Site work.... is painful, ran like a prison.

Write ups around every corner. More white hats then yellow hats. Management can’t even get on the same page. No order to any operation, Big time favoritism, 13 hr days getting paid for 10. This economy sucks. F U Trudeau.
Great experience
Overall great job experience. Amazing staff and supervision. Tasks delegated to trades workers in an organized fashion. I would work for them again...
F this place
this place is f@#ked dont leave your current job. micro managed by under paid intern engineers who have zero idea what is going on.
you will not advance your skills here unless you are a suck up.

for example foremans are stun my equipment foreman dont know how to use string line or a laser level but is quick to take credit for your knowledge.

the safety rules are so absurd to the point its not safe.

KEEP YOUR CURRENT OPERATOR JOB.
Great company !
Work hard and you will be rewarded with success ! Be truthful of your operator experience . A company that cares for its workers and room for advancement !
Lots of interesting activities and growth
Never a dull day. There are always activities to complete and demonstrate your professionalism and skills. It's also a great place to contribute to the safety and advancement of co-workers.
Kiewit
Loved working for them but organization was not very good. They preached the safety mentality until it was inconvenient for them. Loved the pay but my shifts changed a lot as I was a supervisor
work advancenment possible
good place to work room for advance ment. jobs are well planed . good doucumentation. all workers treated fairly .quality work demanded.would like to work for this company again
Bit of a train wreck
Work/life balance did not exist. Got on a bus shortly after 5, for a 7:00 start. Leave at 5:30, home around 7:25-8:00 depending on weather and traffic. It was a 14+ hour day, paid for 10. In order to have a somewhat normal life, you have to be at the gym by 3-ish - meaning you have to be in bed by 7:45....which gives you roughly 80 minutes to yourself per day, if you can manage 6 hours sleep.

Salary was decent. OK wages, for a mediocre effort. There is ZERO chance for advancement - even though you may have two-three-four times the training or experience of others; it's an old boy's club.

Management fails hard. Every single day. One electrical 'supervisor' was NOT a tradesman, but a Mech. Eng. ....they had no idea what they were doing, lacked proper training, and due to cultural or religious differences, wouldn't speak to any of the women on the crew. The individual was also demeaning to others, citing things such as "I know you don't understand this on the same level that I do, but...." etc, etc. The other electrical super was an OK guy with definite potential; but I fear he'll get sucked in/spat out by the horrific business practices they take part in, and it'll become a new normal.

There was also a HUGE issue with supervision bullying employees....on a frequent basis. It's almost as though the supervisors had never taken a course in perf. management....or HR planning...or....supervisory self-assessment...or....well.....wait...they haven't! And....while a host of other workers had held supervisory spots with other big firms, this place chose to pick "buddies" over
 - more...
Pros
Pay, co-workers
Cons
All of it.
Very Safety Oriented
They are more concerned with your safety while working than the job getting done fast. Finish Strong was the theme, to make sure you went home safe to your family.