Kids U Management reviews

Disorganized, Unsafe and Unsupportive.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 January 2020
I was extremely disappointed with Kids U. Not only did they fail to tend to the needs of certain children, but it put other children and teachers at risk by not providing the proper care/support/resources, etc for children that NEEDED help. They were short-staffed lots and tended to want to have a good image by coving things up and not dealing with the problem at hand. I have worked at many schools and I was extremely disappointed with the way this was run and the lack of support. A high turnover rate among staff, if not it was because they needed the job but still were not enjoying themselves. A big facade. I don't stand for that.
Company is a joke
Teacher (Former Employee) –  West 85, Centennial3 January 2020
This company is a joke. I worked for them for a very short period of time and never have I dealt with so much disorganization, chaos, and misleading information in my life. They don't train you, just throw you in day 1 and don't tell you anything, the teachers don't even know where their kids are half the time, and a teacher even told me how unorganized they were day 1. It took them over a month to pay me, they had to ask for forms several times because they couldn't get their forms together, and my supervisor even told me the program she came into was "a s** show". Her exact words. The kids are great and they have nice resources, but they ask the teachers to buy materials out of their own pockets and never reimburse them. They don't support the teachers at all, and allow a screaming and crying child to stay in a program for 3 weeks (they were obviously distraught, upset, and scared to be in a new class and too young to partake), and they wouldn't let me talk to the parents to let them know they child should not be in the class. I had to practically beg them to allow me to ask a teacher the child knew to stay with us until they were comfortable. They are money hungry and they don't care about the needs of the child. I would 100% NEVER bring my child to Kids U. I don't trust them with children at all due to how disorganized they are.
Do not work here
Educator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2019
This place overworks it employees, does not care for their employees mental or emotional health and is a total gossip mill. Management only cares for themselves and for their best interests in the company. They are understaffed most of the time and they are always accepting new children, or leaving the children with staff that are not cleared to be left alone. This company is going down hill. If you are looking for a job in childcare, I suggest you look else where. I almost died working for this company, literally quit because I was so stressed about the job and the people that I worked with that barely wanted to show up. I could say more but I think you catch my drift.
Great environment to work
Assistant teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2019
Worked for this company a little over a year. Found the staff in my campus to be amazingly helpful and supportive, the true meaning of teamwork. Our main goal is to ensure each child is given the help they need to succeed to the next level of education, in a safe and nurturing environment.
Our management team are understanding not only to our needs in the campus, but also are understanding of our personal needs. They are always there if help is needed and visit the campus for a one on one chat to follow up with decisions made. They are always open for new ideas and encourage us through monthly meetings, and PD Days, and this encourages us to grow within the company and our campuses.
This is not only a great environment for the children, but is a great environment for the teachers.
Pros
Fun place to work, teamwork
I Wouldn't Send Kids Here If It was 50 Cents/Day
Float Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 July 2019
This is the worst run company I have ever encountered. Management and higher company executives never visit, and when they do it's very quick. Company is only in it for the money, the tuition is an arm and a leg and the money barley goes towards budgets. Summer programs don't get a budget, they have to use left over from the school year if there is any. Budgets are small already. I've seen the chefs buy ingredients out of their own pocket because campus ran out. Milk for the kids to drink runs out on the last few days of the week. Materials are old, broken and dont rotate like they should. Books, chairs, gates, fences and toys are broken. There are fenced outdoor spaces but they dont tell you that when one class is using the fenced area, the other is playing in the open and unfenced area beside the park. Not to mention that half of the fence is falling down and has holes in it. The staff is constantly changing, seeming to me the company is hiring underqualified cold staff. I've seen staff sit in a corner and call it supervising, and ignore crying children or leave them to cry as a punishment. Part time employees are supposed to get benifits but they make up excuses and reasons not to give it to you. They have constant problems with top up. We I haven't gotten mine for a while. Do not work here or send your kids here.
Pros
The only reason I stayed as lomg as I did was for the kids.
Cons
Pay problems, benifit broblems, facility problems, staff problems budget problems
Official response from Kids U
15 July 2019

We are sorry to learn about your experience! We value staff concerns and feedback, and since you shared your feedback with us directly, we have addressed many of the items you highlighted when you reached out via email. We do provide a benefits package to our part time and full time employees, unfortunately our on call team members are not eligible for the health and wellness benefits at this time since they do have a fixed schedule. Regarding your pay concerns, we have already begun looking into that so that you get the money you deserve! Please do not hesitate to contact our Program Director again if you would like to discuss your concerns further, or if you have any other questions.

Disorganized and Mismanaged Company
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kids U Calgary19 May 2019
Do not believe the positive reviews of this business. I would rate this business a zero. The company is disorganized and mismanaged. The pay for the work being done is below standards. So many things to mention here but will keep it to a minimum. Part owner is very sly. High staff turnover and payroll is always incorrect and staff to afraid to voice concerns. Business is run like a call centre and the staff are continuously pressured to make sales quotas. Families are coerced into signing contracts but when problems occur no reimbursement for the families who want to withdraw. Facility is dirty and dishes remain in the sink for days before they are cleaned the fridges are another story.
Stay clear of this business.
Pros
No pros
Awesome work place!
Senior Left brain (Current Employee) –  Braeside, AB12 February 2019
I am working for kids you for nearly two years now and so far my experience has just been positive. I have never had any issues with management and if there is a inquiry maybe about banked time or regular pay they are quick to reply back and resolve the matter. I think all the negative comments are unjust. I can truly say that if you work hard and do your part, management will see that and treat you accordingly.
Each persons experience may be different but mine so far is a good and enjoyable experience.
Pros
Teachers get to eat lunch that they make for the children which is amazing and totally appreciated.
Cons
Many evenings and meetings BUT we do get banked time for that. So its not really a con.
All children are unique, playful, funny . I’m smiling
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  85 west8 February 2019
I’m so busy to work every day. Preparing different materials for art, books, puzzles as focusing our themes.
I really appreciate all management specially who is director to work hard also listening our problems,
Trying to understand our job.
We are working together. Usually 4 teachers
We know we have to co operate each other
But that’s too hardest part of my job
Enjoyable place to work.
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2019
I enjoy working for this company in McKnight campus. Working days go quickly and I enjoy how You are made part of the team. I have received a lot of support throughout my time there when ever issues have raised.
The staff is very friendly and easily approachable and will support you, as well as the management, when needed.
I have learnt that You need to be yourself, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, but it is all accepted and that’s how the teamwork is created as well as great help is given to improve.
The most enjoyable part is to see the big smiles on the children’s faces every day as well as the bonds that are created between the staff to work as a unit to make it the best learning environment for the chIldren as well as for each-other.
Pros
Friendly staff, good benefits, supportiveness, fun, creativeness
Find another place
Movement Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2018
I worked here for one school year and I agree with all the negative reviews posted. They make poor work management decisions and ultimately it trickles down to the daycare locations and the staff who work there. The owners are just in it for the money. No support from management
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
DO NOT work here here. You will regret it!
Right Brain Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2018
This place may look awesome and amazing from the outside but when you enter the doors as a staff you will soon learn they treat their staff poorly and always play favorites with their favourite staff. Upper management never visits the centres. They only go to ones they like. Fake smiles every where. If you take a job with Kids U you will regret it. Don’t apply here. Management tells their current staff and families to post positive reviews on google and indeed. And make staff feel badly if the monthly review quotas are not met.
Pros
The children and the families were only the best part
Cons
Fake Smiles, upper management play favorites, all in it for or the money
Kids U
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2018
Kids U has worked hard to develop an effective team since I started here a year and a half ago.

I have worked for many places in my childcare career and this is hands down the best facility I have worked at.

Our curriculum speaks for itself; we develop the right brain through Reggio inspired philosophy, left brain through Montessori and gross motor skills through movement. We keep the children active and engaged all day and are building brains one neuron at a time.

The company has created a fantastic support office filled with people who want to see the staff at Kids U happy and content. They are always available through email, phone call or are at the campus helping with day to day routines.

There is always room for growth. I started out as a practicum student and am now a Program Coodinator with the goal to become a supervisor after I finish my schooling. I have received ample amount of support from management to finish my schooling and too continue growing and learning. They support my goal to become a supervisor and want to see me succeed.
Pros
Great team & fantastic curriculum
Cons
Trouble finding strong teachers
Growing company with many opportunities for advancement!
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2018
I have been working for Kids U for almost 2 years now, as a staff member on the administrative side of center operations. Kids U's approach to teaching is what brought me to the Center as a parent, but I joined the Team after learning about the philosophy in each learning environment and saw first hand, the amazing benefits of the program! If you are passionate about teaching children and encouraging life-long learning, Kids U is the place for you!

Because of the high demands of the job and the specific and structured programming we offer children and families, Kids U is not always the right fit for everyone. I see many negative reviews here, but also feel like many people take on a classroom position with us with the expectations of a daycare. KIDS U IS NOT A DAY CARE! And when one comes in with a day care approach, they are quickly overwhelmed by the expectations of the Center/classrooms.

As with any expanding company, Kids U did experienced some growing pains. I have seen and experienced a huge difference within the company within the last 6-8 months. Issues we were facing in regards to payroll, communication, management etc. have greatly improved and the support structure that has been implemented since the new school year have made a huge difference.

I am so thankful that my son was able to benefit from this program and that I am able to go to work each day and make an impact on young minds!
Pros
Opportunities for advancement, growing company
Cons
Center transfers dependant on Company's need (personal con)
Room for Growth within the company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2018
Kids U has had a lot of growth over the years I have been working there.

They provide lots of support to staff through Professional Development days, and coaches to help staff improve their practices in various ways.

There is ample amount of room to grow professionally within the company if you prove you are a hard and efficient worker. Many staff have started as assistants and became leads. Many staff started as leads and became supervisors. Some even went on to become members of the support office (corporate level). Management is very supportive if and when you require anything.

It is a very busy place that requires staff with a lot of flexibility. It has challenged me in many positive ways to become a better teacher and supervisor.

The most challenging aspect is payroll is constantly causing staff issues.
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
Payroll issues
Accommodating Management Team, Passionate Staff
Float Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2018
I have worked with Kids U for over a year now, and have moved through several different positions. The management team has changed during my time with the company, however I believe that the changes made have been for the better overall. They have centralized hiring, scheduling, and registration, all of which have had a positive impact on the staff and families involved with Kids U.

I have been supported through several challenging personal moments by the management and staff, and time off is approved so long as you follow the processes and provide a valid reason.

The feedback I have heard from the families in the programs I have worked at has been that the teachers are passionate and the level of care that their children receive is excellent. I have worked closely with these teachers, and have to agree. The vision of Kids U has always been the highest quality curriculum and care, and I think that the staff are the heart of this.

As with all positions, especially in the childcare industry, there are low points as well. The days can be challenging and stressful, especially working with the same small group of individuals daily. However, the children are the main priority for everyone at Kids U, and in my opinion, that shows.
Pros
Caring management, great families, wonderful campus teams
Cons
Childcare industry challenges
Great Place to Work!
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB28 March 2018
I have really enjoyed my time working for Kids U. I always felt valued and was constantly given opportunities to advance my career and educational knowledge. They have centers all over Calgary, and although I have not been to them all the ones I have been to seem to run very smoothly and always have very friendly staff. I do not understand these negative reviews, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I really enjoyed working there and would still be there today if I did not have to move for my husbands job.
Pros
Friendly and approachable management, lots of opportunity to advance, good work/life ratio.
Dont send your children
Forrmer RB teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary29 January 2018
Horrible experience. They would hire/fire employees on a daily basis. No one their has any knowledge of running a quality daycare. Its looks all fancy and well
Managed from the outside but nigtmare once you get it.
Pros
Zerooooo
Cons
too many
Please don't work here.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2017
The "vision" of Kids U changes on a weekly basis. The absentee owners are never on the same page and never ask for input from the centre managers that are there everyday.

There are serious pay issues, employment standards complaints and when you ask a question or need guidance, no one will respond...EVER. The only people that would help was the HR and payroll person, but they let them go.

The only reason this business runs is the fantastic staff that care about the children and the relationships THEY have built with the parents.
Pros
Great staff at sites
Cons
Not paid correctly, no communication, no one to bring issues to
Gong Show - Stay away!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary31 August 2017
I was forced to give one star on here. I would have given them 0 stars. This place is a gong show. If you have any brains you would not accept a job here. There are better jobs elsewhere. Communication is terrible, lack of any leadership, money hungry company, no organization, no support. hire staff with no previous formal child care experience. Better jobs elsewhere. Trust me.
Pros
None.
Cons
Communication, organization, leadership, support. Bad hiring practices.
Be prepaird to walk on eggshells every day.
Reggio Inspired Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 May 2017
I have NEVER worked for a company with so much disregard for their incredibly hard working staff.It is NOT a supportive workplace, hiring & firing people at will with no regard of how it will effect their lives. DONT let their facade fool you! theyre just another company in it for the money.
Pros
It Paid Ok
Cons
Money Hungry& Fake Smiles

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kids U. Our community is ready to answer.

Kids U Reviews by Location