Kids U

Kids U Employee Reviews

I currently work at the New Brighton location. The team that I work with in the Campus are amazing! Its a circle of family and friendship. The teachers and the upfront are ready to help to the best they could. We learn everyday from each other. I am happy with the families that we work with. The families are respectful and are friendly too!
I have been working as a teacher for 10 years of my life in another country, and I decided to continue serving and working with my skills here in Calgary, the first and only place that I decided to apply was this company. Before working here, I was excited about what you can find in the website, the different reviews from the social media and everything that involves education and kids. When I started working I felt welcome, I felt I could support the company with my talents and skills and they allowed me to do it, the manager, the supervisor where I work in, and every person has appreciated what I have done. In this company, I can feel the support, the gratitude, the values, and the guidance, I respect but I dont accept the bad reviews about this company, because the company provides with everything you need in a prompt way. Thank you Kids U and the managers who run this company, thank you to my supervised at Mc Knight, and thank you for letting me feel in family. Thank you!!!
Pros
Dental and health benefit at full time
Cons
This company has a very toxic work environment.They do not have respect for their staff and are not organized. Their is so much gossip, back stabbing , unfairness and do not have clear direction, nor do they train their staff; but will readily write up staff.They also do not run the programmes they claim to run in most of their centres particularly the one at New Brighton
Pros
None I can think of
Cons
Toxic work environ, no clear career path
There are not zeros.This is a worst company where I worked.Manager are really bad .Company is only for money .They do not have material and it are old and incomplete .They say to the parents that they have Montessori and Reggio Emilia that is not true. Only same ladies have training in this programs. Montessori room do not have materials only photocopies and cards .Managers are cold with the workers and coworkers are competitive and they do not work like a team .Workers need to paid 50% of the benefit with then salaries. Please , do not work there or send your children here.
Pros
Nothings
Cons
As a practicum student and a float teacher, I have loved to work at centennial as I could learn many things including their philosophies along with brain development and offering different classes depends on children's needs, abilities, and interests. Also, the location is perfect for staff and parents with free parking until 9 AM for dropping children in the busy morning. My mentors and other teachers are very helpful and they do care for children with their warm hearts. My mangers including my manager who schedule me are very supportive of my own development and providing resources for both educators and children to learn.
Pros
development of yourself, supportive team
Working with Kids U was a pleasurable, enriching and gratifying experience for me. What worked for me was the professional atmosphere, progressive and research-oriented leadership, respect and support to all the employees, and regular opportunity to upgrade skills through professional development workshops. Above all, the satisfaction gained by contributing to the children’s brain development through the planning & execution of a balanced curriculum was exceptional. I have witnessed the management keeping in touch with every employee of the company despite their busy schedules, seeking feedback, and lending their support in every way possible. I admired the way my Program supervisor at Centennial showed faith in all the teachers and encouraged them to excel. Working in the Left-brain was a positive learning experience, and collaboration among the staff members made the work environment more fun. I will fondly remember my tenure at the No. 1 organization (in its category) of Calgary, and I wish to see it expand its horizons across Canada.
A nice place to work and learn. The staff is co-operative and management is supportive. Transitioning of children between different classrooms - Montessori, Reggio and movement, helps them in their overall development. I enjoy working at KidsU.
I have been working in the childcare industry for about 9 years and I can definitely say that moving to kids U has been one of the best decisions for my career. It is an innovate school for young children which sets the very foundation for their early learning and development. There are so many unique qualities at this company but I love the fact that upper management is so approachable and they take the time to help you out in your challenges. The company invests in teachers by training them and continuously providing them with feedback and offering them new challenges at the campus level. Like any business, they do want to make profits and excel but at the same time they also give back to their employees. I have never heard of a daycare having a re-treat for the staff or bringing in a specialist from out of the country for professional development or a simple act as one of the co-owners hand delivering flowers for each staff member on valentines day!! I mean has anyone ever had their employer do that?!
Working for Kids U has overall be a pleasant experience. As with any company, there are always ups and downs. However, I have found, whenever I have criticism or feedback that needs to be addressed they have always been receptive. Kids U has been very supportive of my continued growth professionally and personally.
Kids U is all about enrollment and not at all about making the staff feel appreciated. The staff are so over-worked for very little pay. There were so many mistakes on pay cheques. Maintenance issues very often wouldn't get done until a month after the request was put in. There wouldn't be so many maintenance issues if the owners did things right from the beginning, not just trying to save a buck. I wasn't paid for all of my time. When I brought it up-let's just say they didn't like it. It seems they want staff to give their time away for free.
Official response from Kids U
4 March 2020
Hello, I would love to get in touch with you to discuss your concerns further as I would like to follow up on your concern that you were not paid for your time. Please connect with me at your convenience (Laura@kidsu.ca) or if you prefer Celeste you may contact her as well (Celeste@kidsu.ca). We have recently hired our Maintenance Coordinator, and he has been able to resolve many maintenance issues in short order!. If you have recommendations on how we can further improve our recognition and support future employees to feel appreciated I would love to hear from you so that we can continue to Uplift each other and provide appreciation and recognition!I look forward to connecting with you in private message!Laura
Kids U is an amazing atmosphere to work in and be a child in! I have worked with Kids U since April 2019 as a Float Teacher and writing this review as a Movement Teachers Assistant— so there is always opportunities to move up with this company! The staff are all First Aid trained and CPR certified, Police and Vulnerable Area Sector Checked as well as a minimum of Level One/Child Development Assistant Certification in the field of Early Childhood Education. The staff really care about the children as well as each other! The admin staff are always so friendly and caring. Everyone really shares in creating such a positive environment for everyone who walks in and out of Kids U! Kids U really assesses and tends to the children’s developmental needs. Based on those needs a custom schedule is created for each child within our three different philosophy themed rooms (Reggio/Right Brain, Montessori/Left Brain and our Movement Classrooms). I highly recommend Kids U as a place of work and a place of Child Education and Care!
I was extremely disappointed with Kids U. Not only did they fail to tend to the needs of certain children, but it put other children and teachers at risk by not providing the proper care/support/resources, etc for children that NEEDED help. They were short-staffed lots and tended to want to have a good image by coving things up and not dealing with the problem at hand. I have worked at many schools and I was extremely disappointed with the way this was run and the lack of support. A high turnover rate among staff, if not it was because they needed the job but still were not enjoying themselves. A big facade. I don't stand for that.
This company is a joke. I worked for them for a very short period of time and never have I dealt with so much disorganization, chaos, and misleading information in my life. They don't train you, just throw you in day 1 and don't tell you anything, the teachers don't even know where their kids are half the time, and a teacher even told me how unorganized they were day 1. It took them over a month to pay me, they had to ask for forms several times because they couldn't get their forms together, and my supervisor even told me the program she came into was "a s** show". Her exact words. The kids are great and they have nice resources, but they ask the teachers to buy materials out of their own pockets and never reimburse them. They don't support the teachers at all, and allow a screaming and crying child to stay in a program for 3 weeks (they were obviously distraught, upset, and scared to be in a new class and too young to partake), and they wouldn't let me talk to the parents to let them know they child should not be in the class. I had to practically beg them to allow me to ask a teacher the child knew to stay with us until they were comfortable. They are money hungry and they don't care about the needs of the child. I would 100% NEVER bring my child to Kids U. I don't trust them with children at all due to how disorganized they are.
This place overworks it employees, does not care for their employees mental or emotional health and is a total gossip mill. Management only cares for themselves and for their best interests in the company. They are understaffed most of the time and they are always accepting new children, or leaving the children with staff that are not cleared to be left alone. This company is going down hill. If you are looking for a job in childcare, I suggest you look else where. I almost died working for this company, literally quit because I was so stressed about the job and the people that I worked with that barely wanted to show up. I could say more but I think you catch my drift.
Worked for this company a little over a year. Found the staff in my campus to be amazingly helpful and supportive, the true meaning of teamwork. Our main goal is to ensure each child is given the help they need to succeed to the next level of education, in a safe and nurturing environment. Our management team are understanding not only to our needs in the campus, but also are understanding of our personal needs. They are always there if help is needed and visit the campus for a one on one chat to follow up with decisions made. They are always open for new ideas and encourage us through monthly meetings, and PD Days, and this encourages us to grow within the company and our campuses. This is not only a great environment for the children, but is a great environment for the teachers.
Pros
Fun place to work, teamwork
Cons
This is the worst run company I have ever encountered. Management and higher company executives never visit, and when they do it's very quick. Company is only in it for the money, the tuition is an arm and a leg and the money barley goes towards budgets. Summer programs don't get a budget, they have to use left over from the school year if there is any. Budgets are small already. I've seen the chefs buy ingredients out of their own pocket because campus ran out. Milk for the kids to drink runs out on the last few days of the week. Materials are old, broken and dont rotate like they should. Books, chairs, gates, fences and toys are broken. There are fenced outdoor spaces but they dont tell you that when one class is using the fenced area, the other is playing in the open and unfenced area beside the park. Not to mention that half of the fence is falling down and has holes in it. The staff is constantly changing, seeming to me the company is hiring underqualified cold staff. I've seen staff sit in a corner and call it supervising, and ignore crying children or leave them to cry as a punishment. Part time employees are supposed to get benifits but they make up excuses and reasons not to give it to you. They have constant problems with top up. We I haven't gotten mine for a while. Do not work here or send your kids here.
Pros
The only reason I stayed as lomg as I did was for the kids.
Cons
Pay problems, benifit broblems, facility problems, staff problems budget problems
Official response from Kids U
15 July 2019
We are sorry to learn about your experience! We value staff concerns and feedback, and since you shared your feedback with us directly, we have addressed many of the items you highlighted when you reached out via email. We do provide a benefits package to our part time and full time employees, unfortunately our on call team members are not eligible for the health and wellness benefits at this time since they do have a fixed schedule. Regarding your pay concerns, we have already begun looking into that so that you get the money you deserve! Please do not hesitate to contact our Program Director again if you would like to discuss your concerns further, or if you have any other questions.
Do not believe the positive reviews of this business. I would rate this business a zero. The company is disorganized and mismanaged. The pay for the work being done is below standards. So many things to mention here but will keep it to a minimum. Part owner is very sly. High staff turnover and payroll is always incorrect and staff to afraid to voice concerns. Business is run like a call centre and the staff are continuously pressured to make sales quotas. Families are coerced into signing contracts but when problems occur no reimbursement for the families who want to withdraw. Facility is dirty and dishes remain in the sink for days before they are cleaned the fridges are another story. Stay clear of this business.
Pros
No pros
Cons
I have been working with KidsU for a while I have worked actually at a few locations. I would say that this company has its ups and downs as every childcare facility. I have looked at many childcare spaces throughout the city and not many level up to the amazing facilities I have ever seen. Their are many childcare facilities out in Calgary that shouldn’t even be open. KidsU has always been able to keep up with many educational and leaderships theoughout each campus. I believe in change and adaptability. Childcare is a very hard job for anyone. That’s why they see the opportunities and education that is around Alberta or teachers who are qualified and suites the best of each facility. I therefore have never trusted, and seen a childcare facility grow so well. The lead teachers who have came so far are able to lead each other and support one another if they are willing to communicate and give each other ideas in a daily or weekly check ups. This way it keeps us all on the same page. I have my children in this facility as well working as a team member. I have never felt so engaged and proud to say I work for KidsU. The children come first always, the parents come second and each centre has a team to make your children feel safe, secure and fully structured with many educational and amazing staff. Not a lot of childcare facilities have this nor would I ever feel safe the way that I do leaving my children.
Pros
Accepting educators careers trainings lead retreat respect, honoured, guiding, safe, work as a team, individual growth
Cons
Staff turn over
Fun environment, I am currently working with them while doing my lvl2 and they are accommodating me with that, they try to match my timetable. So very flexible! If I were a parent I would definitely put my child in this program. The staff are polite and somewhat understanding.
Pros
Great staff and amazing teamwork!
Cons
I work at Kids U West 85th for few months. I was happy with my time there and often felt great support from supervisor. The children were happy and fun to teach and the program was set up to do well. While every childcare centre has its problems, I was very happy there and sad to leave when time came to go. I would go back if able to.
Pros
fun classes
I am working for kids you for nearly two years now and so far my experience has just been positive. I have never had any issues with management and if there is a inquiry maybe about banked time or regular pay they are quick to reply back and resolve the matter. I think all the negative comments are unjust. I can truly say that if you work hard and do your part, management will see that and treat you accordingly. Each persons experience may be different but mine so far is a good and enjoyable experience.
Pros
Teachers get to eat lunch that they make for the children which is amazing and totally appreciated.
Cons
Many evenings and meetings BUT we do get banked time for that. So its not really a con.