Kids U
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

Kids U Employee Reviews

Canada68 reviews

philosophykidteacherchildcampusdevelopmentparentprogram

The management isn’t that great. The two stars are for the person running this location. Headoffice gets none.

The person managing the location was great. Helpful too. If you needed support they would do the best they could. It’s the people above them. they are super slow. Not a lot of training. But they will help you with getting certified. Huge bonus for someone just starting out.

Pros

Great community. Lots of support from coworkers

Cons

The hr management is extremely slow. Background drama with coworkers.

22 September 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We are pleased to hear you had a positive experience at the center, and it is unfortunate your perception of management is not the same. We have redoubled our efforts to support the centers and will continue to do so.

Greedy company

KidsU is a horrible place to work. The owners act like they care about kids but all they care about is making money. They will make decisions time and time and again that impact the quality of care to increase their profit. The amount of extra work expected outside of paid time is ridiculous. Trying to get the materials you need to do your job is nearly impossible.

Insights into Kids U

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Great Philosophy but not a great work place culture

Kids U has very high expectation of its teachers and management with not very high wages/salaries. The work environment is so stressful. Management is not supportive or understanding at all. The operations director takes pride in making the teachers cry!!! The classroom sizes are extremely big and there is always less staff because no one wants to work at this company. They are changing their name to Fueling Brains Academy, thinking that might change things for them. They say they see staff as family, its all just a bunch of lies they tell you!The culture is so cruel and bitter! Teachers have no time for planning, they have to do report cards online and assessments which are not very easy to learn. There is always new faces in the rooms for parents and the staff. It becomes so difficult to train new staff and then they leave after a few days!!It so hard and almost impossible to get a hold to support office staff as they are always "busy" and everyone "has so much on their plate"Parents only want to stay because of the staff and now even the good staff are leaving. The ones who had been here for years have left because of poor management and yet nothing is begin done! All because there is a waitlist so "who cares, we have enrollment"

Great Peers; Lack of Management involvment

KidsU has some good foundations but really lack the management infrastructure to support all of the campuses. Often without support, you will be stretched thin to cover extra duties and work without pay.They really struggle to keep their good staff and constantly are shuffling to fill vacancies in their administration roles.There isn’t much training due to the shortage of teachers.

Pros

Room to grow

Cons

Low pay

Maximum Effort, Minimum Pay

If I could describe working at Kids U in one sentence it would be "maximum effort for minimum pay".I was offered a job at Kids U after doing a practicum placement there. I enjoyed my time at first, though it was hard getting started as there was no training, shadowing, or feedback and I was just thrown into a room on my own and had to figure it all out. This is something that is still currently happening, so just make a note of that if you are looking to apply.At first, I worked as a float staff ($15.00/hr) which involved moving around all rooms covering breaks and sick teachers as needed. It is a hard job as you must remember how all 7 different classrooms work and their schedules and get to know 100+ children and their needs. This sometimes also involved serving lunch and doing dishes, (which wasn't in the job description). I found it very hard to move forward in the company as a float teacher, if you want a new position you need to apply for and interview for it (even if you have been covering for that position and doing all the work and duties for multiple months), and even then, it is not a guarantee. It got a bit better when I got an assistant teacher position as it meant a consistent classroom, but it just meant a lot more work for a dollar raise.A typical day at Kids U is very stressful as the children transition a LOT between rooms and Kids U tries to cram as many kids as possible in one class (we were allowed 24 infants in one room, 25 toddlers, 44 preschoolers, etc). The duties for teachers seem endless and there is no time to do them on top of taking care of -

Okay. Underpaid for the job.

It's okay. The organization needs work. The money isn't great. Communication needs work as well. Too many staff that don't belong there, which makes the job harder. They do not recognize and appreciate hardwork and excellence.

Stressful Environment, Poor Management

Regularly understaffed as well as a quick staff turnover. Most children have special needs but they don't employ enough EA's. Low pay and most employees don't know how to speak English which they advertise as "Cultural". The directors show favoritism and are extremely power-hungry. I do not recommend working here or sending your children to this facility.

5 January 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we are truly disappointed you had this experience at our campus. Because taking care of our employees is ingrained in our everyday actions, we are always actively working towards an improved work environment especially with our new leadership team. We have a great reputation in the city and community and that is only an outcome of the efforts of all teachers who work tirelessly to extend the care and early childhood education to the children enrolled at our location. Saskatoon is a difficult market to recruit ECE's and that does make hiring a challenge at times. We screen all candidates, however, we also support Government newcomer programs with employment opportunities for experienced candidates. That may, at times, lead to team members who are simultaneously honing their English skills while working at our location. We are confident the experience will only get better for all who work at our locations.

Beware of nepotism

When I first started working at Kids U, I loved it. Most of the workers were awesome. However beware of nepotism and supervisors who are condescending. Supervisors take full advantage of being superiors and do not help out nearly as much as they should. Also, if you complain to the manager of Kids U, they will tell you to figure it out yourself. I loved working with majority of the employers, unfortunately the supervisor made it brutal.

Pros

Helpful ECE's, will learn a lot about healthy child development and implementing positive associations

Cons

Nepotism, low pay

21 January 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We deeply regret that your experience did not match your management expectations at Kids U. As a fast-growing company in the space of early childhood education, we are always learning and we truly appreciate any feedback that will help us avoid such experiences moving forward. Please feel free to reach out to hr@kidsu.ca or jobs@kidsu.ca.

Great culture and family feel

Kids U is a very kind and welcoming place of employment. Your suggestions and ideas are met with positive feedback, no idea is turned away. If you work here, you are part of the Kids U family.

5 October 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback! Every team member helps make us a welcoming place to work. Thank YOU for having been part of our family.

My home away from home

I have worked for Kids U for only a couple of months, but I can say with confidence, it is one of the most supportive work environments I have ever been a part of.

14 October 2021
Thank you for being part of our family! We are so glad to know you feel supported.

Friendly, welcoming organization with good values

Overall, great company to work for. Good values around the program. The people are very friendly and welcoming. Other staff is helpful and able to lend a hand when you need. Upper management is sometimes hard to get ahold of as they are very busy. The overall company seems to be growing and expanding fast; lots of opportunities for future growth.

Pros

Friendly people

Cons

Unorganized at times

22 October 2021
Thank you for your feedback! It is certainly great to be part of a growing company and we encourage growth from within. We are always trying our best to respond in a timely manner and will only get better at that.

Great workplace

I have been with Kids U for almost 3 years now. I have to say that it is an amazing place to work. The team communications are on point, there is always room to grow in this company, and they make you feel proud to be working here. I have just recently moved locations and have to say both locations are amazing. Families and Teachers and staff are amazing and caring.

Collaboration and Communication

Supportive Collaborative Weekly meetings are a great way to keep everyone on track and up to date. Happy families and positive feedback from parents. Amazing staff Materials are in good condition Quality early learning is important to the organization

Pros

Flexible, Collaborative

Cons

Low Pay

My second family

I’ve been with Kids U for over three years now. I love what I do and my time with Kids U has already given me so many fond memories and good friends. Kids U in general has become like a second family to me. I think to get the most out of this job you have to love working with kids. I know that sounds incredibly obvious but it makes all the difference. As with any job it’s not perfect, but nothing is. Working with kids can be hard at times and even stressful, but the good has always outweighed anything tough. I love that I get to work with dedicated, like minded people, and we work well together. If you are hardworking, and most importantly, have a passion for working with children, then Kids U can be the place for you.

Pros

Working and teaching children

Cons

Annual events can add to workload

Fun place to work

Let me tell you something about KidsU. I have been at West 85th campus for almost 4 years and I feel like they are my second family. I am a teacher at this campus and a mom to two children who attend this campus as well. I feel that even with ups and downs we stick together as a team and we have amazing hard working teachers not only at this campus but all over other campuses. Specially these days when we live in unknown world, teachers make safe environment to continue their dedication to deliver the best teaching and support for children and parents. We have different classes from 12 months to kindergarten and we offer Montessori, Reggio and Movement activities through the children’s schedule.I have seen so many children improved and challenged through their developmental milestones. Every child is unique and we work on supporting and helping individuals to reach their milestones in those three environments. I am very happy that I choose KidsU to be my children’s daycare because I see how my children progress every day and I am also very happy to be an early childhood educator to deliver KidsU philosophy. Book a tour and find out more.

I am so grateful to be a part of the KidsU team

I am so happy to be a part of the team at KidsU. Unlike many places I have worked in the past KidsU actually follows the rules set out by licensing like ratios and best practices, as well as they are constantly doing all the documentation and planning and following what an accredited early learning center should do. So if you want to work somewhere that you are not required to put in the effort to enhance children’s learning KidsU would not be a good fit. If you don’t want to do documentation or observations as a teacher and just want to provide basic childcare, KidsU is not a good fit for you. You need to be a flexible person to work here successfully and truly have a passion about supporting the brain development of young children. KidsU has three different environments for the children, left brain (Montessori) right brain (Reggio) and movement. Toddler age and preschool age children transition between the environments and infants have all three in one room. This takes getting used to, just like for the children, as a staff it takes getting used to, but if you are the right fit for kidsU then you will love it and appreciate it. If you want to work for a place that values early childhood educators as teachers and not just baby sitter or child care providers then KidsU is a good place for you. In my time at KidsU I have been able to work my way up in the company from a assistant teacher to a lead teacher. KidU has been so supportive of me since day one and has worked with me making it possible for me to go visit my husband who lives in a different country periodically. KidsU -

Pros

Professional Development, Follows Ratios, Positive Culture, Opportunity to advance if you work hard, cares about children, supportive and flexible

Cons

You must be flexible and adaptable

Best place to work!!

I have been working in the company for almost 5 years now. I started working in the junior right brain as an assistant Teacher. It was so much fun and interesting because I have seen the children's growth not only in their creative side but as a whole. Somehow I got interested with the left brain which is our Montessori program and, I have given the chance to join their workshops which made me learn and understand the philosophy more. But the program that really inspired me to grow and explore as a Teacher is our movement program. As my journey in KidsU went on, the administrators saw my potentials and gave me the chance to grow as an employee. The company supported my growth through promoting me as a Lead Teacher and gave me the proper training to be one. I am a work in progress as a Teacher and always open to learn more which the company is very supportive with. In this field of profession, I believe that everyday is a learning process and growth as we work with children in their unique learning ways.PS. it also inspires me that the owners and administrators knows each employee by name and actually sit down with us and chat! :)

Proud to work at this Company

I have been working as a teacher for 10 years of my life in another country, and I decided to continue serving and working with my skills here in Calgary, the first and only place that I decided to apply was this company. Before working here, I was excited about what you can find in the website, the different reviews from the social media and everything that involves education and kids. When I started working I felt welcome, I felt I could support the company with my talents and skills and they allowed me to do it, the manager, the supervisor where I work in, and every person has appreciated what I have done. In this company, I can feel the support, the gratitude, the values, and the guidance, I respect but I dont accept the bad reviews about this company, because the company provides with everything you need in a prompt way. Thank you Kids U and the managers who run this company, thank you to my supervised at Mc Knight, and thank you for letting me feel in family. Thank you!!!

Pros

Dental and health benefit at full time

Stressful Environment

In theory, it seems great to expose children to all these different ways of teaching (Reggio, Montessori, etc.). However, in practice, it was extremely unorganized and stressful. The children rotated between 3 pairs of teachers which had different teaching styles so they would have different sets of guidelines depending on who they were with that week. This made it extremely hard to maintain consistency and routine with the children. The walls between rooms were only partial so you would be dealing with the noise of 24-36 toddlers instead of just the 12 in your group.

Very toxic work culture

This company has a very toxic work environment.They do not have respect for their staff and are not organized. Their is so much gossip, back stabbing , unfairness and do not have clear direction, nor do they train their staff; but will readily write up staff.They also do not run the programmes they claim to run in most of their centres particularly the one at New Brighton

Pros

None I can think of

Cons

Toxic work environ, no clear career path

Do not lost your time working for this company and do not send your children here

There are not zeros.This is a worst company where I worked.Manager are really bad .Company is only for money .They do not have material and it are old and incomplete .They say to the parents that they have Montessori and Reggio Emilia that is not true. Only same ladies have training in this programs. Montessori room do not have materials only photocopies and cards .Managers are cold with the workers and coworkers are competitive and they do not work like a team .Workers need to paid 50% of the benefit with then salaries. Please , do not work there or send your children here.

Pros

Nothings

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kids U. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement