KIDS HELP PHONE Employee Reviews

Stay away!
Revenue Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2019
Avoid like the plague. Management has no clue!! No growth, no support, centralization, and absolutely no opportunities for you if you aren't in the head office!
Pros
Not much!
Toxic management
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 March 2019
Work hard and always under pressure, management are really toxic, never say « thanks » or « good work ». Not a pleasure to work hère.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management, structure, and too many others
Great pay, horrible management and schedules
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Montreal5 September 2018
Been working at KHP for over 7 years now.
The organization's mandate is honourable and we really do make a difference in the lives of kids all over Canada.
But as employees (mostly full time), you should expect to feel constantly examined, pressured and asked to do the work of 5 people. The need for the service is ever growing but the management is unable to keep their employees, therefore we are constantly understaffed. The load of work is just insane.

This organization does not respect its employees' needs and limits, let alone their mental health. Management is ran by a bunch of people who are way underqualified and who don't understand what it's like to be a counsellor on a 24/7 mental health helpline.

The salary and the benefits are amazing though, which is the main reason why the employees are still here. Bring the hourly rate to 18$ and you will see more than half the people walk out the door.

This organization has been running since 1989, and it was only 2 years ago that we unionized. This should give you an idea.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, colleagues are fantastic
Cons
Poor management, micro-management culture
Fun workplace, laid back enviroment.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2018
I would be given a research task everyday or a task such as packing letters. It was a very laid back work environment with lots of friendly people. Best part was researching new information.
Pros
Good experiance
Cons
Long hours with no pay
Fun
Financial Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 May 2018
Great company with great culture. Everyone here is wonderful. Flexible work hours and fun everyday. It's special knowing that you are helping kids out there.
Pros & Cons
n/a (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2018
pros
free counselling service for youth
supportive co-workers
reasonable pay for work performed

cons
conventional organizational structure and management
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2017
KHP is a great place to work. It is engaging and rewarding work and the team is wonderful. The management team is also great and provides excellent supervision.
I volunteered but a family member worked here
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 November 2016
Boss of the location I worked at wasn`t very good. Would lie, make you do work that was out of line and accuse you of things. She would take many, many days off. Hopefully others have a better experience because they do great work for the youth of Canada.
Supportive and engaging workplace
acting treasurer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 July 2016
Workload depends on the day but typically evening shifts can be busy. With a wide range of topics that you may discuss with callers, it is a great opportunity to get experience working with many issues with people from varying backgrounds.

Management is for the most part supportive and helpful towards developing your skills as a counsellor and to make sure that you are practicing self-care.
Fun, family environment.
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 June 2015
KHP is a fun, family environment. I learned how to talk to people and respond to questions in a professional workplace manner. Co-workers were kind and helpful, as was management staff. My directions were unclear at times. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people, and develop skills that will help me out in a future workplace.
Pros
Helping clients
Cons
Unclear directions
Productive and fun volunteer atmosphere
Kids Help Phone Corporate Development Placement (Current Employee) –  Toronto,ON2 April 2015
I intern with Kids Help Phone, twice a week. I typically conduct research on prospective corporations that might be interested in supporting Kids Help Phone. I also do admin work for the team if they need me.
Pros
free food, learning what it takes to run a non-profit organization
Cons
not paid internship