Kichton Contracting Ltd Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Worse outfit there is
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 September 2019
Started out at kichton and loved it but they grew too big to fast. Managment ended up having the worse attitude towards employees always being told you should be thankful you're working like they're doing you a favour.

The buddy system and politics is the strongest I've ever seen at any company. If you dont know a foreman or a leadhand you can forget about even being noticed

Overall as long as that moron owner still runs the show, kichton will ultimately fail.
Pros
I dont work there anymore
Cons
Kichton
Terrible company since president change
Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2019
Use to be good company, everything changed when president changed. No loyalty or appreciation. Every department is in need of leadership which is never provided and no communication
Not worth working for
Frontender , driller (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 July 2019
If you quit because your div was slow . Not getting the hours. Then they are hiring again because they are busy . Ones you quit you can never work for kichton again .The drug plans alright get a extra two dollars a hour but they under cut you . You get more money at other companys.
22 August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion; we appreciate your feedback.

Kichton is proud of our Drug and Alcohol Incentive Program, and
are confident in our compensation and reward system(s).

We agree that it is difficult to work through those slow times, especially this year with the interesting weather we have been faced with through the season; we do our best to work together in these situations.

We would welcome further discussion on any concerns you may have; please feel free to reach out directly, or email info@kichton.com with any further feedback.

Friends and buddy system in full affect
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2019
This is one of those companies that promise you the world and does not deliver! For example they say that everyone gets a Christmas bonus as long as you show up every day and make it to the end of the season. Then they lay you off in early December(end of season ) and don't deliver! One Labourer lives with the Forman does all his paper work and very little physical labor, but has a job all year round. Meanwhile other Latour's who do more physical work by Mondays first coffee than he does for the entire work week loose there job! I once seen them load up the company truck with copper pipes from an atco site that we were working on. shoring and piling crew are a bunch of Pepsi heads.The said foreman and his buddy show up to work hung over on a daily basis. If you like working with rift raft /trailer trash! Then you will love it. Other than that stay clear!they under pay everyone with the promise of the year end bonus that never comes.I witnessed the layoff of a 13 year long employee while said Forman and his buddy (first year)worked all year round. True 80's oilfield company!
Pros
Lots of hours during the summer month
Cons
To much riff raft /trailer trash! back stabbing goofs
22 August 2019

Kichton is proud of our compensation program, and confident in our reward system(s).

Though layoffs are necessary in the construction industry, there are certainly a number of versatile employees that earn the ability to stay busy right through the winter months.

Kichton strives for solid team camaraderie, and we are happy to hear that our employees are co-workers and friends.

Was a good place to work
Oiler service truck operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2018
I worked here for almost 3 yrs i worked here while applying at the mine at the mine it take quite a while to get in if you dont know anyone there
I enoyed my time here

I maintained all equiment for this company as i was tje ONLY servixe person here
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Managent loyalty
i do not recomend this for a work place
Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton area9 April 2018
Kichton is a very unorganized company it is one of the worst out fits I have worked for. the pay is garbage, supervision is arrogant, they promise you all the hours but then you your not even getting part time hours. if you want to for free then work for kichton if you have to take a special kind or orientation kichton does not pay for it I know a couple people have had to take a 6 hour orientation that they never got paid for.
Pros
no pros
22 August 2019

Though Kichton has no guarantee of hours, we certainly aim to keep our people busy doing the right things at the right time.

Kichton is proud of our compensation program, and confident that our employees are paid correctly for all hours worked, including those where orientation was completed successfully.

Lots of hours promises not delivered one
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2018
Was hired on originally as an equipment operator/ labourer was promised that training would be provided on additional equipment, that promise never materialized into actual training.

Be very careful if you hire on and read everything stated in your hiring contract twice. The pay while acceptable really doesn't cover up the lack of advancement, or even additional training.

Also field projects are hamstrung by lack of equipment. Or equipment so ancient it should be in a museum.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
No additional training, Undersized equipment, ancient equipment.
Large company and didn't appreciate there employees
Finish operator of Track Hoes, Dozers, Skid Steers (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2018
I was unhappy most days working for this company. I learnt that if you weren't close with a foreman or super you were put on the back burner. They are extremely unorganized. they were great my first year but than went down hill. Grew to quick to fast lost a lot of money because incompetent people were running the divisions and jobs.
Pros
some people who you worked with
Cons
no communication no life
Pretty good I've worked for a lot worse
Piling lead hand (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
Poor communication is my only complaint but I've personally been very well taken care of because I'm willing to do anything and never complain about having to work
highly challenging
Equipment Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 December 2017
-fast paced, always changing
-need to be able to adapt to ever changing situations
-communication is an absolute must with management
-patience, understanding and guidance are required for a young crew
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Micr-management
Love this Job
Packer Operator, Flagger, Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2017
Fast paced, need to be on your toes, safety first.
Know your grades before you let your operator start digging.
Communication is your best friend, Always stay a meter away from buildings, never dig 6 feet without guards in place, eye contact with oparators before walking behind, safety should always make sense!
Pros
2$ an hour for every hour you work after a month if you open a scotia bank account.
Cons
long hours for a single parent, but good money.
Worst construction company i worked for
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 October 2017
Owners r stuck up and think they are better then the workers. They don't take safety serious at all. The insident are crazy insane high there . Anyone can get in the equipment there.
... most supervisors are clueless and surprisingly they still have there contract. Owners of the company walk around watch what u r doing then assume things that are not true. No job security there at all. Good if u need a job asap but don't think you will be there for the long hall . They do not care about there workers. People coming n going like crazy
Pros
Pay lots of hours
Cons
generally a great place to work
Hydrovac Swamper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 September 2017
I worked both in town and out of town work, as well as in the shop.
The lower level employees are all awesome, helpful, and friendly, they create a great work environment.

Most of the Management was good (or great) to deal with save for a few exceptions. some management was on a different frequency than the rest of the company.

Until you get to the owners, ALL of my interactions with any of them were amazing, they're down to earth and efficient, I dealt with one of them on a regular basis and I would work with/for him specifically without a second thought.

Hours were erratic but it usually equaled out to something reasonable over 1-2 pay periods. Job security was fairly good and there is opportunity for advancement.

Overall a pretty good place to work minus the few obviously bad apples
Pros
Great work environment, awesome owners, decent pay
Cons
Erratic hours, politics
limited room for advancement
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2017
job postings indicate what the position is and what it pays, but once in the door there is limited room for advancement. management tends to favour the next best person rather then looking from within
fun place to work
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2017
i had a blast working for this company, i would still be there to this day but there was no advancement at the time and i wanted to persue in my career
Good company all around
Rock Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2016
Fairly decent company wages are low but they try and keep everyone working. Crew were all pretty good just do your job don't be lazy offer to help whenever possible and foreman are fair. Mainly local work
Pros
Good crew - Home every night
Cons
lower wage for the industry
good place to work
Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2016
this is a good place to work lots of hours and bonus and stuff however if get sent to to some bad crew then you wouldn't like this place they pay you the same but sometimes they are not fair with you and if you don't kiss a** then you get nowhere
Pros
good money
Cons
changing job sites
Really good employees work there
Supervisor/Foreman (Former Employee) –  alberta edmonton canada3 December 2015
Hard working safe work culture, mostly 12 sometimes 14-15 hr days to get the jobs done on time.
Very safe place to work,
all equipment up to date,
Great place to grow and learn.
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2015
Learned a great deal about planning on site and operating a multitude of machinery. Team leaders that are willing to go the distance to complete projects under their control. The people are fun to work with and make a great team. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with office politics that can get in the way of completing tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing your efforts evolve into a structure- being a part of something lasting.
Pros
Learning experiences.
Cons
Politics can get complicated at times.
very progressive company grew too big too fast
tandem driver (Former Employee) –  edmonton13 February 2014
I would get a call the night before with a job site and directions. the next morning I would go in at the time specified with enough time to warm up truck and check it over. Top up any fluids and get on the road to the site and then haul what ever material to what ever dump site was specified by the superviser. Until we got the last load signal from the operator. and we would have to wait till we got a call as to wether we were going to work the next day or not. the trucks were dispatched by differant people every month. as the super viser would put in a request for how many trucks and for how long a few hours or possibly all day and then even if the same job was needing trucks you might get pulled off to some where else or even sit the next day. depending on where u were in the order.
Cons
yes sometimes out of town and early starts and long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kichton Contracting Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

Kichton Contracting Ltd Reviews by Location