Kichton Contracting Ltd Employee Reviews

Worse outfit there is
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 September 2019
Started out at kichton and loved it but they grew too big to fast. Managment ended up having the worse attitude towards employees always being told you should be thankful you're working like they're doing you a favour.

The buddy system and politics is the strongest I've ever seen at any company. If you dont know a foreman or a leadhand you can forget about even being noticed

Overall as long as that moron owner still runs the show, kichton will ultimately fail.
Pros
I dont work there anymore
Cons
Kichton
Terrible company since president change
Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2019
Use to be good company, everything changed when president changed. No loyalty or appreciation. Every department is in need of leadership which is never provided and no communication
Not worth working for
Frontender , driller (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 July 2019
If you quit because your div was slow . Not getting the hours. Then they are hiring again because they are busy . Ones you quit you can never work for kichton again .The drug plans alright get a extra two dollars a hour but they under cut you . You get more money at other companys.
22 August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion; we appreciate your feedback.

Kichton is proud of our Drug and Alcohol Incentive Program, and
are confident in our compensation and reward system(s).

We agree that it is difficult to work through those slow times, especially this year with the interesting weather we have been faced with through the season; we do our best to work together in these situations.

We would welcome further discussion on any concerns you may have; please feel free to reach out directly, or email info@kichton.com with any further feedback.

Diverse scope of work, decent wage, enjoyable crews.
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB18 July 2019
I enjoyed the diverse scope of work, no two jobs were the same therefore I did gain quite a bit of experience and really enjoyed the crews I worked with and my first foreman was wonderful to work with. However, HR/ recruitment is dreadful and incredibly unprofessional. There is zero job security and if you show any interest in moving up within the company or want in gaining experience in equipment you will be accused of not wanting to work and having an attitude problem which results in being “shipped off” (I was lucky and was given opportunities in equipment, however this was something I saw with a lot of the other labourers). The only way to get ahead is to be deceitful and step on the person beside you rather than put in the work and effort and get ahead honestly. The civil super I worked with was deceitful, ego centric and still believed that in order to be a good superior your workers needed to fear you and be afraid of losing their job.

All in all, I would not recommend working for Kichton as a first choice or choosing them for a long term career however gaining experience in many different aspects of earthworks, the crews and a small number of decent foremen made my time with them worthwhile.
Pros
Supplied accommodations and LOA, diverse scope of work
Cons
Unprofessional, deceitful.
Don't do it
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB13 July 2019
2+2+2 is a joke, you will never get what you expect, no rules for it, management gets bonuses for reporting employees with any wrongdoing that will cut your end of the year bonus.
Every decision takes ages as it has to be approved by Edmonton branch, noone can do nothing without thier green light.
Forget about days off if it's not raining
Paperwork, paperwork and paperwork again and again
Referral bonuses exist it's a lie... but they pay on time
Pros
Pay on time
Cons
Paperwork, micro-management, slave driving
Friends and buddy system in full affect
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2019
This is one of those companies that promise you the world and does not deliver! For example they say that everyone gets a Christmas bonus as long as you show up every day and make it to the end of the season. Then they lay you off in early December(end of season ) and don't deliver! One Labourer lives with the Forman does all his paper work and very little physical labor, but has a job all year round. Meanwhile other Latour's who do more physical work by Mondays first coffee than he does for the entire work week loose there job! I once seen them load up the company truck with copper pipes from an atco site that we were working on. shoring and piling crew are a bunch of Pepsi heads.The said foreman and his buddy show up to work hung over on a daily basis. If you like working with rift raft /trailer trash! Then you will love it. Other than that stay clear!they under pay everyone with the promise of the year end bonus that never comes.I witnessed the layoff of a 13 year long employee while said Forman and his buddy (first year)worked all year round. True 80's oilfield company!
Pros
Lots of hours during the summer month
Cons
To much riff raft /trailer trash! back stabbing goofs
22 August 2019

Kichton is proud of our compensation program, and confident in our reward system(s).

Though layoffs are necessary in the construction industry, there are certainly a number of versatile employees that earn the ability to stay busy right through the winter months.

Kichton strives for solid team camaraderie, and we are happy to hear that our employees are co-workers and friends.

Complete joke
Operator (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB29 January 2019
Worked there for a few years. Management only cover their own butts. They don’t care about you or your family just the job. They short change the contractors. Over charge all the time. Some people make the day wonderful but every spring a hire on of too many inexperienced people. Then by winter too many laid off. If you need time off forget about it. If you have grievances forget telling anyone, Forman will tell you they will replace you at the tip of a hat. The company’s in the same area are awesome compared to them. Just look at their google reviews.
Pros
A pay check
Cons
Everything but the pay check (management, hours, poor maintained equipment, lack of training, etc.)
good leadership and safety programs
Employee (Current Employee) –  ACHESON14 November 2018
Caring company who try to carry employees year round.
Some friendship and family connections hurt independence needed for consistency of good business delivery.
Pros
Leadership cares
Cons
Middle management need grooming on leadership and interpersonal skills.
Was a good place to work
Oiler service truck operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2018
I worked here for almost 3 yrs i worked here while applying at the mine at the mine it take quite a while to get in if you dont know anyone there
I enoyed my time here

I maintained all equiment for this company as i was tje ONLY servixe person here
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Managent loyalty
Good experience
Labourer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2018
Worked my butt off to get laid off. Some of the workers do the bare minimum the stay employed. They expect you to show up on time getting paid from 7 to 7 but expect you to be there 15 minutes early to do FLHA, Tri-Forms and i disagreed with that as thats my time and money they are wasting. Foremans I worked with were very good at what they did. Some operators even get out and help labourers when safe. I learned a TON here, they let me operate remote packers, combo roller, tampers. All you have to do is ask your crew the right questions, listen and you will learn too. I am satisfied with what I learned with this outfit. Learned how to shoot grades in 2 days its basic grade 9 math. Benefits dont kick in for 9 months. Dont be late ever.
Pros
I got a slurpee and donuts one time. Safety was top notch.
Cons
Lots of entitlement, unpaid lunch when youre gated in, in a refinery.
i do not recomend this for a work place
Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton area9 April 2018
Kichton is a very unorganized company it is one of the worst out fits I have worked for. the pay is garbage, supervision is arrogant, they promise you all the hours but then you your not even getting part time hours. if you want to for free then work for kichton if you have to take a special kind or orientation kichton does not pay for it I know a couple people have had to take a 6 hour orientation that they never got paid for.
Pros
no pros
22 August 2019

Though Kichton has no guarantee of hours, we certainly aim to keep our people busy doing the right things at the right time.

Kichton is proud of our compensation program, and confident that our employees are paid correctly for all hours worked, including those where orientation was completed successfully.

Not overally a bad place to work but very green management.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB14 February 2018
Not a bad company to work for the wages are great hours are good and the co workers are fantastic.
Management being the biggest weakness to this company people in positions that have no clue what they are doing.
Lots of hours promises not delivered one
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 February 2018
Was hired on originally as an equipment operator/ labourer was promised that training would be provided on additional equipment, that promise never materialized into actual training.

Be very careful if you hire on and read everything stated in your hiring contract twice. The pay while acceptable really doesn't cover up the lack of advancement, or even additional training.

Also field projects are hamstrung by lack of equipment. Or equipment so ancient it should be in a museum.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
No additional training, Undersized equipment, ancient equipment.
Large company and didn't appreciate there employees
Finish operator of Track Hoes, Dozers, Skid Steers (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 January 2018
I was unhappy most days working for this company. I learnt that if you weren't close with a foreman or super you were put on the back burner. They are extremely unorganized. they were great my first year but than went down hill. Grew to quick to fast lost a lot of money because incompetent people were running the divisions and jobs.
Pros
some people who you worked with
Cons
no communication no life
Pretty good I've worked for a lot worse
Piling lead hand (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
Poor communication is my only complaint but I've personally been very well taken care of because I'm willing to do anything and never complain about having to work
highly challenging
Equipment Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 December 2017
-fast paced, always changing
-need to be able to adapt to ever changing situations
-communication is an absolute must with management
-patience, understanding and guidance are required for a young crew
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Micr-management
Love this Job
Packer Operator, Flagger, Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2017
Fast paced, need to be on your toes, safety first.
Know your grades before you let your operator start digging.
Communication is your best friend, Always stay a meter away from buildings, never dig 6 feet without guards in place, eye contact with oparators before walking behind, safety should always make sense!
Pros
2$ an hour for every hour you work after a month if you open a scotia bank account.
Cons
long hours for a single parent, but good money.
Worst construction company i worked for
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 October 2017
Owners r stuck up and think they are better then the workers. They don't take safety serious at all. The insident are crazy insane high there . Anyone can get in the equipment there.
... most supervisors are clueless and surprisingly they still have there contract. Owners of the company walk around watch what u r doing then assume things that are not true. No job security there at all. Good if u need a job asap but don't think you will be there for the long hall . They do not care about there workers. People coming n going like crazy
Pros
Pay lots of hours
Cons
generally a great place to work
Hydrovac Swamper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 September 2017
I worked both in town and out of town work, as well as in the shop.
The lower level employees are all awesome, helpful, and friendly, they create a great work environment.

Most of the Management was good (or great) to deal with save for a few exceptions. some management was on a different frequency than the rest of the company.

Until you get to the owners, ALL of my interactions with any of them were amazing, they're down to earth and efficient, I dealt with one of them on a regular basis and I would work with/for him specifically without a second thought.

Hours were erratic but it usually equaled out to something reasonable over 1-2 pay periods. Job security was fairly good and there is opportunity for advancement.

Overall a pretty good place to work minus the few obviously bad apples
Pros
Great work environment, awesome owners, decent pay
Cons
Erratic hours, politics
Safe enviorment
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB21 August 2017
Typical days at work are packed full of safety precautions and meetings to assure no accidents are prone. Foremen's are fair to all workers and push you to do your best and promote breaks regularly.
Pros
A lot of safety percautions
Cons
Very long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kichton Contracting Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.