Keywords Studios

Keywords Studios Employee Reviews

You get what you pay for. This is a low level job that would be amazing for a high school student. There are a LOT of smelly people here, literally. People show up in clothes they haven't washed in days reeking of B.O
Pros
Pretty relaxed workplace
Cons
Too relaxed, low pay, managers look and act like something you would find in fast food
27 July 2020
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for your time at Keywords.Even though starting positions can be on call, more and more employees are on permanent and fixed term contracts. As for career advancement, we are proud to promote from within with our Level Up program, which gives employees the chance to grow professionally and achieve up to three raises in a year and more opportunities for promotions!Thank you again, we wish you the very best!
Pay is low, and they do not care about you. Promise the world, deliver nothing. Often let go with no projects. Play favorites and do not repect those who work hard.
Pros
Free Soda
Cons
Everything else
25 October 2020
Hello, and thank you for sharing your feedback.It is true, as you mention, that there are short term projects on which to work. There are now, more than ever, an increasing amount of projects in which staff are offered permanent contracts, with access to benefits packages. The Level Up system is in place offering merit-based promotions, and revised annually based on employee feedback. Even in a mostly remote working climate, trainings and new job opportunities are regularly being shared with staff. We are glad that you enjoyed the perks, such as free snacks and drinks, and hope you enjoyed the time with your former coworkers.
I've given up on this place and don't even try anymore. I've worked here for years but put 2020 below.The management (specifically mine) lies to your face and has no issues with it. They also refused to do what is needed because it would make them look bad, so nothing gets done.I've had leads do no work all day and get me (or others) to do their work then give a bad evaluation about how I'm not doing enough... well get off of youtube and do your own job.Leads have their favorite and yes they promote them while hindering those they don't like.Blatant favoritism that's expressed out loud...Can't complain or you will be moved from the project instead of the actual issue fixed or in some cases fired. The pay is low and capped. They like to brag about the billions in profit they make and when asked at a General meeting if that meant we are going to get a pay raise, the guy laughed and said "that's not how it works".. I'm sorry.. yes that's EXACTLY how it works.Testers are taken for granted and expected to do the work of someone much higher than they are for lower pay and if you refuse you get a bad evaluation, which eventually leads to you getting fired.IT - A bunch of them are self absorbed with a mightier than thou attitude. The "I'm IT so I'm smarter than you" attitude is stale and has been proven wrong so many times. When they don't know something, they make up an excuse. One in particular (Pirate) always gives attitude and that you should be grateful that he is helping you. Not to mention the look that he doesn't want to there or be bothered helping you.PSST - - more...
Pros
It's a place to work while looking for a real and better paying job like a dishwasher
Cons
Far too many to mention
25 October 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to learn about your experience. No employee should feel concerned about nepotism, or raising issues for which they seek solutions. Since the time of your post, the studio has launched a platform in which employees may express concerns anonymously, and implemented additional soft skills training programs. Cleaning staff and processes have increased for the in-studio headcount, reach is currently 10% capacity, despite health regulations allowing up to 25% capacity. If you would like more information, or to share your experience directly, there is now also an employee helpline available for use as well.Keep in mind, if there is someone you are not comfortable talking to, you may speak with someone else. We are invested in our people, and look forward to further discussing with you.
The wages are poor - literally minimum wage even though they boast working for large clients.The management is bad - does not listen to employees, threatens with firing all the time (voice a concern and you are fired) , Keywords makes sure to tell you that they did a great deed by giving you work. Any time you meet with any of their so called "Project Managers" just a load of fluff is given in the name of feedback. HR is super stringent with utmost poor listening skills and know -it - all attitude. No promotions or wage increases as they will always come up with an excuse for the same.
Pros
Cons
toxic managers
24 August 2020
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to write this review. We would like an opportunity to discuss the concerns noted below and would request that you provide your contact details so that one of our Keywords Studio Representatives can get in touch with you. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and for the time you spent with us.
I didn't have great expectations but in time I got to love the place. Great teams, great atmosphere, good clients and a good job overall. I worked from home so I don't know how it works in the office
Pros
You learn a lot
6 July 2020
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. We are happy to hear you are enjoying your time with us and we thank you for all you do for Keywords!
be careful guys, I did all tests they required and spent more than 3 hours, and they didn't even bother replaying to me!!! i felt like they are collecting data from they lengthy tests so be careful here. very disappointed, shame on them.
Pros
nothing
Cons
felt like a scam!
6 July 2020
We are sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience. We assure you there are no scams to worry about with Keywords. We'll share your experience with our local HR team as a learning experience for us.
they keep saying us we should never talk about the things we see in the office otherwise we might get sued by the customers and the keywords, imagine getting sued for thousands of dollars for minimum wage.Also they are hiring on-call employees and expecting people to be available 40 hours a week for minimum wage. they really need to hire permanent employees instead with better pay. work environment wasn't that bad but employees are gossiping a lot. worst part is if they are talking about behind an employee's back and they act normal when that person is around. professionalism is kind of low in the company.
Pros
free fruits
Cons
unstable shifts
27 July 2020
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.We are sorry to hear you experienced issues with some colleagues. We strive to have a safe and comfortable work environment, and we urge employees to report any issue with our HR department. Keywords employees receive more than minimum wage, even positions that require no previous industry experience. Salary increases quickly through our Level Up program, all Level 3 employees move to permanent positions and there is also training in place to encourage and help earn promotions to higher responsibility and higher paid positions.Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. We take all feedback to heart and as a learning experience for us all. We wish you the best!
Relaxed and mostly easy going job but immature work environment, as well as a pathetic reward and promotion system. Sometimes feels like blackmail that you may only be given shifts if you keep you availability completely open. The work is mostly easy going and if you are on a team with likable people then the job isn't the worst.
7 July 2020
Hello, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! We are sorry to hear you did not have the best experience at Keywords. Even though some of our positions are on-call, about half of the employees at Keywords hold a permanent contract and approximately 75% are on long term projects. Employees can provide their availability and their schedules are made according this and to the client needs. We also pride ourselves on our Level Up program, which was implemented to offer employees professional growth and salary increase opportunities. This system can help staff achieve up to three raises in a year and more opportunities for promotions. Thank you for your feedback and for your time at Keywords!
The management works hard to make tester's life easier. I loved working there as a tester. Other testers are very welcoming and the office in Sunlife building is clean and nice. (Nordelec building is also really nice)
Pros
Free Fruits
Cons
unstable work hours for new testers.
7 July 2020
We strive to do the best for our employees and to give them the best experience, so we are thrilled that your experience at Keywords was so gratifying! Thank you for your feedback!
Did the interview process where you translate an article from a game. The transition was fine, it was Risk-II but lost touch with the recruitment team and never got the job
Pros
Email communication
Cons
Communication isn't perfect
28 May 2020
We do appreciate your feedback, thank you. We wish you the best!
L'environnement est propice à une évolution calme et gratifiante de votre carrière bien qu'étant une entreprise travaillant par contrat, il n'y a pas de garantit d'un nombre d'heures stable annuellement.
22 April 2020
Bonjour et merci pour vos commentaires. Nous sommes ravis de savoir que vous trouvez votre emploi de testeur gratifiant. Bien qu'il soit vrai que certains nouveaux postes soient sur appel, plus de la moitié de nos employés ont désormais des contrats permanents. Le nombre d'employés permanents continue de progresser chaque année.Merci de nous informer que la culture d'entreprise de Keywords vous plait, ainsi que le salaire et les avantages. Nous continuons d'offrir plus d'avantages aux employés, avec entre autres des fruits frais, ainsi que des réductions sur des abonnements au gym, des plans d'abonnement téléphonique, Bixi, des restaurants et plus encore. Vos commentaires sont importants à nos yeux et nous sommes impatients de continuer à croître ensemble.Hello, and thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you find your position as a game tester gratifying. While it’s true that many new positions are on-call, more than half of the staff are now permanent employees. The number of permanent employees continues to increase, each year.Thanks also for letting us know that you enjoy the workplace culture at Keywords, as well as the pay and benefits. We continue to offer employees more benefits, including fresh fruit, discounted gym memberships, cell phone service, Bixi, restaurants and more. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to growing with you.
Payé au salaire minimum pour un travail a temps plein et heures supplémentaires (fin de semaines ou soirs) obligatoires sinon une note au dossier est ajoutée.
KWS is an amazing workplace to start working in the industry, amazing with capital "A", but after more than 3 years, the lack of insurance and stability, make first party QA much more attractive to the experienced tester.
Pros
Can be really relaxed often, schedule flexibility possible, anyone can enter
Cons
No benefits, no insurance, even most experienced testers gain close to minimum wage
3 March 2020
Hello, and thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you found Keywords to be A-mazing!While most positions are on-call at the beginning, about half of the workforce at Keywords Studios Montreal are on permanent contract, and approximately 75% are on long term projects. Scheduling is done according to each employee’s provided availability. Staff members can provide any availability they choose, offering reduced availability can result in reduced hours.Keywords is especially proud to promote from within; all Level 3 employees moved to permanent positions in the past year. The ratio of permanent staff continues to increase, as it has over the past decade. Once they become permanent employees, testers are given three options of benefits plans at different price points, and may choose the one that suits them best. Multiple benefit plans were considered, and the program was revamped according to employee feedback.In addition to these benefits, we are proud to offer employee perks including a discounted mobile phone provider, bike share program, gym discount, coffee, refillable OPUS station at the office, happy hour parties, summer and winter parties, event ticket and game giveaways throughout the year, and free fruit every day.Thanks again for your feedback. We think the Keywords staff is pretty A-mazing too.
Not a bad work day. Enjoyable, coffee and water machines around, nice eating areas, etc. Depending on what you're doing and what day it is, you can either be super busy or super bored. Management and HR are nice, but bad at communicating a lot of the time.
Pros
Advancement, cozy office, flexible hours
Cons
Slow to communicate, stagnant and super busy periods
3 March 2020
Thanks so much for taking time to share your thoughts. We are glad you found your time with Keywords enjoyable overall. It’s true that the volume of clients requests can fluctuate day to day. Keywords’ staff comfort is important to us, hence the cozy office space, and multiple break rooms with the coffee, water machines, vending options and free fruit. Employee-wide communication is an ongoing process that we continue to hone, and for which we value feedback from employees, such as yourself.Thank you for also sharing with us that you appreciate the flexible hours, room for advancement, and the HR and Management teams overall.We wish you the best with your future career.
- Salary is low, and planning appears to give less hours if you get a salary upgrade. - It is impossible to know if you'll get work before the very day before and your schedule may be switched between day and evening on a weekly basis, leaving any possibility of adapting your sleep out the window. It is possible, and even likely, to end not be receiving any work for days. - Training, while paid, ended up useless as the first project I've been assigned to required completely different methodologies. As an employee, you get shifted around projects often on a day to day basis, requiring you to constantly adapt to different requirements right after training. - The best, and only good part of the job, is the other employees, it is very easy to get friends with everybody since everyone clearly have a passion for games. Even if you'll often end up never seeing them again as they put you on another project...
24 February 2020
Hello, and thank you for your review.We are glad to hear that you are enjoying the friendships you’ve made at Keywords. While staff are scheduled according to project needs, and not who their friends are, Keywords Montreal organizes events throughout the year to give everyone the opportunity to socialize outside of work; summer and winter parties, Halloween and St Patrick Happy Hour events, tournaments, as well as the private Star Wars screenings and Esports Central event late last year.The Level Up program has been implemented to offer built-in growth and salary increase opportunities for Keywords Montreal team members. In terms of scheduling, both permanent and fixed term contracts (often 6 months) are based on clients’ needs, as well as the quality, availability and desire of Testers.Sorry to hear that you did not find Training to be helpful on your first project. You may be pleased to learn that Just last week, we were able to grow the FQA Training program from 3 to 4 days! Training will now cover more ground, and help new Testers be better prepared for a variety of project need.We hope this helps address some of your concerns. If there is anything else you would like to discuss, we encourage you to share with your leadership or the relevant department.
It would be nice place with better salary and management. At this point I wouldn't recommend. It is a waste of time. LQA department is slightly better.
10 February 2020
We appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts and would like to invite you to meet with your local HR team about concerns you have. We truly care about our employees' experiences and hope you will take time to share your thoughts in more detail, in person.
Good working environment. Relaxed atmosphere , no tension of dress code. Level up program is really good. You can have meetings with mangers on how to improve yourself. Very good company for freshers to start there career.
10 February 2020
We appreciate your feedback, thank you! We are very proud of our teams in Montreal and the hard work that is being done to make our employees' experience the best it can be.
Amazing coworkers from different countries, low salary, joyful and fun environment. The workload was not really stressful. I generally enjoyed working there.
13 January 2020
We appreciate your feedback and your time spent at Keywords. Thank you!
They have a friendly environment but everyone there makes you feel like you are surrounded by people with no goals in life. it's too gloomy and it feels like you cant affort any mistakes.
20 November 2019
We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience while at Keywords. We'll pass this feedback on to our management teams. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we do wish you the best.
Keywords Studios' goal is to acquire multiple service lines around the world, strip them from all benefits and essentially turn themselves into THE premiere Sweatshop of the video games industry. I have worked in multiple departments within the company (FQA, Console Certification and Virtual Reality).I was mainly a Certification Tester throughout my employment, and I cannot stress how anti-worker the company is. If you're familiar with Rockstar/Riot/Activision/etc in the news, expect the same expendable/harassing treatment from management throughout your employment. Certification Testers are paid the ABSOLUTE minimum and not compensated extra for their extensive commitment to their department. As individuals who are verifying titles for end-user release for Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony/VR, we were constantly spoken down to and threatened for talking about workplace conditions. Speaking of conditions, the Virtual Reality department is the biggest offender in my opinion. I am not sure if they have improved the lab, but when I was working there, we were squeezed closely together using VR headsets and constantly hitting each other with no solution in sight. Furthermore, the lab is literally unfurnished with concrete flooring, just desks and PCs with carpet only situated for management. I am pretty sure the CNESST would have a field day with the room. Do what I did, get your experience and find a company that would actually appreciate you.
11 October 2019
Hello and thank you for taking the time to provide your review.We are very sorry to hear that you felt expendable and talked down to in your time with us. We value our employees and encourage them to raise any issues so that they may dealt with accordingly. Our business is built around our teams. Wiithout our teams there is no business to offer. We are proud to hear when our staff goes to work for clients and partners, even to the competition, should the right opportunity arise. This proves that our staff is progressing, regardless if their career growth occurs within Keywords or externally. Though our goal would be to find opportunities internally, we are proud to say that within the past year we had an organic growth of 50%, which included many opportunities for our existing staff.We are happy to hear that you have seen improvements and we are committed to continue them, especially in regard to staff retention which is the core of our business. We wish you well with your next endeavors.
Was a wonderful place to have to begin my career, since I was straight out of college it was a tremendous boost to my own personal growth. Downside is very low pay.
23 August 2019
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for your time at Keywords. We wish you the best in your future endeavors!
  1. Employee reviews