Keywords Studios
Happiness score is 65 out of 100

Keywords Studios Employee Reviews

Canada70 reviews

gameminimumwageprojectcontractsalarylowbad

Welcoming work environment and valorising for employees

Featured review

Keywords Studios selected this as a representative review
the job is relaxed and nothing is really hard. more so Tedious work and consistent workflow nothing is gonna surprise you at work. Your co-workers are probably gonna have the same interests at you so the team is very welcoming and inclusive. leadership are all old employee so they understand the struggles and hurdle you might encounter and they can easily help you with personal problems even.

Pros

good team, easy work, lots of overtime opportunity

Cons

low pays. contractual (on calls)

23 October 2021
Hello! Thank you so much for sharing with us your thoughts about your amazing Keywords experience! We are really glad that you felt comfortable talking to your leads and colleagues about any problem. Thank you for your time with us, we wish you the best in your future endeavors!

Une belle façon d'obtenir de l'expérience mais sans plus

Il est facile d'entrer dans l'industrie du jeux vidéo avec Keywords et il y a une belle ambiance de travail. Mais par contre, la rémunération est pitoyable, le niveau de stress est énorme et il y a très peu de support de la part des dirigeants et des ressources humaines. Aussitôt que vous avez l'expérience requise pour travailler ailleurs, sautez du bateau. Keywords a une attitude 'utiliser-jeter' face à ses employés donc il est important de quitter avant que vous soyez à jeter.

Insights into Keywords Studios

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Good culture, salary and benefits not up to scratch

The atmosphere and people at Keywords are brilliant and you can gain a lot of experience there. Lots of room for growth in certain departments and being a global company there are opportunities for transfers to other locations. Having said that the salary and benefits are way below market rate, it's a real shame as it really puts a dark cloud over all the good things about the company.

Pros

Great people, learning culture and opportunities for growth

Cons

Salary and benefits are below the market standard

Completely unprofessional

I was scheduled for a call at 3pm for a call with HR, but they never called so I emailed them and then I got a call apologizing for it and I was understanding although it looked unprofessional as a start. Then, I was told I’d get another meeting with the manager beginning next week so to help me make a choice between this job offer and another I got. Here I am a week later with no scheduled meeting or call back as promised. Bottom line: DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Cons

Unprofessional

Good place to get experience.

Other company values experience more than keywords. Employees are numbers.They out trans employee.People don't know what a shower is.Low paying job, but it's okay because we have free coffee.They told us in a company meeting we are lucky they did not lower our salary.Big try-hard culture. People are promoted based on of they are friends with management or not.

Pros

Can become a good safety net when moving on to better company.

Cons

Not trans friendly, People stinks, Low wage, Low recognition, Try hard culture, Low salary, Poor benefit

14 November 2022
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We have taken note of your comment concerning the “outing” situation. We have not been informed of such situations, but we’ll make sure to update our management team on this matter, as not only do we have training and policies, but we want to make the workplace an inclusive and welcoming one. We keep the identification information we receive completely confidential to avoid this kind of event. We take unacceptable behaviors and comments very seriously to protect all employees, no matter who they are. We invite you to please reach out to your local mangement team to discuss your concerns. We are here to help.

They are happy to treat their staff like cattle!

After working there for 2 years, I can firmly state that the company has 0 care for their workers. You are disposable to them at any moment, and you'll get next to nothing for pay. It disgusts me to this day how they treat people, especially since I began with the utmost loyalty and readiness to grow with the company and work there long-term. If you're encountering any obstacles with mental health, they'll immediately throw you to the curb and there's no second chances. No room to grow, no pay, disgusting behavior from upper management, the only plus side is that your coworkers can be cool and you get your foot in the door for the industry.

Co-workers were nice

I appreciated the co-workers, the work was very relaxed and they accomodated me well.Leaders seemed to be competent which is a plus, we had a party that was fun early on.

Pros

Clean and professional

Cons

8 hour shifts, removed benefits

Flexible work time and Play Games with Salary-WFH

1. A typical day at work: After completing the task than you enjoy games.2. What you learned: Participate in different game projects and know many games.3. Management: The managers are very friendly, and help you on time when you have any problems.4. Workplace culture: The work environment feels inclusive and respectful of all people.5. The hardest part of the job: at the beginning of a new task or new project.6. The most enjoyable part of the job: Every minute after configuring the test environment.

Good place to start in the industry

It's a good place to start in the industry, but not to stay. There's going to be times were you have no work for weeks sometimes months on end with no pay or communication. Comparing how much they pay and how little benefits there are in comparison to other companies is a real eye opener.

Fun place to work if you can afford to have a low salary

It's a fun and international place to work, not stressful, you change colleagues very often. Salaries are very low in this type of company for the job you do, especially if you are a language tester. You never know your shifts until the day before.

Horrible

Garbage pay, filled with creepy men, no benefits.It’s a joke. You’re better off working at mcdonald. It’s also on call so some days (or weeks) you wont work at all.

A real review from a guy 3 years with keywords

Keywords may not be the top job in the industry, BUT, A VERY BIG BUT, It's your best tool if you want to start in QA. they won't hesitate to hire you and teach you everything ( I was doing forklift work before)If you want that mythical 3-5 year of experience, you gotta go with Keywords. the pay is not that great but if you can deal with that you'll get all the support for you to grow into a proper QA tester, you may be on-call at first but i never lost under 35h, they'll make you work. if you can prove yourself. they'll give you permanency and you can concentrate on improving yourself to get that good job with a real studios.they wont refuse your personal days, they wont yell at you if you take your vacation during a hot period.

Minimum wage and no benefits until at least 1 year

The management and level-up system is awful and very biased. They can decide to not promote you for any reason they see fit, and the promotions barely come with a raise. You can only be promoted every 6 months, and someone who doesn't know you or your work is responsible for the decision. Their criteria is very arbitrary and no preparation is given.Also the company is set on expansion but does not accommodate the employees they acquire. They constantly refuse to pay us more stating they are giving us competitive market prices, even though we work for AAA game titles.

Pros

Work from home temporarily

Cons

Bad pay, requesting back to office, nepotism, poor management, high turnover, ineffective promotion system

3 August 2022
We appreciate your taking time to share your thoughts and do invite you to meet with your local HR team about your concerns. We are here to help make your experience the best it can be.

Chill job

The company was enjoyable to work for, fairly lax although a bit difficult to secure a project to working on. Leadership was lovely and the coworkers were amazing as well. Can't say I have anything to complain about aside from being impacted negatively for breaking my foot (called in and let them know what was happening and got told I had multiple unexplained absences) but I'd definitely still work there again if I ever move back to QC or if a location opens in MB or they allow remote work.

10 June 2022
Hello and thank you for your comment. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Keywords and worked with some awesome people. We really appreciate the feedback, as we want to ensure there is continuous improvement of our practices and employee support services. Best of luck in MB!

Fun place to work but pay is abysmal

Pros:- Experience in the game industry- Exposure to Game Development Cycles- If you are passionate about games, the job is fun:Cons:- Low starting salary- Contractor work, not the same benefits as Electronic Arts

10 June 2022
Hello and thanks for the review! We're happy to have provided you with a fun introduction to the gaming industry. We're continuously reevaluating our benefits package to see where we can provide improvements, introducing additional new perks on a yearly basis.Thanks again for your feedback and best of luck!

Management doesn't know what's going on

feels like it's managed by a bunch of teenagers that doesn't know what is going on. They are hiring internally for post that the people don't know much about. Everything feels like it's hanging by a thread.

10 June 2022
Thank you for your feedback!We agree that it is important to remain fair and consistent when it comes to selecting candidates for roles. We invite all staff to escalate any perceived issues with the hiring process, to either their manager or a member of the HR team. If something is deemed as incorrect, we can use the opportunity to course correct and improve the process for the future. We also believe that it is very important to give our staff the opportunity to grow as much as possible internally, hence we sometimes have to deal with a learning curve that may cause a few bumps along the way, but in the end, we truly belive that internal career growth is worth the small hiccups. At the end of the day, we really want to make sure that all our staff have a safe place to grow and that we all have far more postitive experiences than negative.

Inflexible Company

To Keyword Studio's credit, there is frequent opportunity for advancement depending on your performance, but the raises and wages are peanuts compared to their competition. You will be doing more work for less than those in similar positions elsewhere.Furthermore, they tout a 3-day minimum flexibility, but never honor that, requiring 5-days for you to receive any amount of work. If you sign a contract with them, you will be required to work the shift they tell you, without consideration to your transit time or needs outside of work. This can range from the typical early morning to afternoon shift, to the midnight shift.Remote is generally not a possibility, and has only been a begrudging temporary measure put in place for COVID.

10 June 2022
Hello, your feedback is appreciated! We're often reevaluating our benefits package to see where we can make improvements, and we also adjust salary scales regularly.As per your working hours, we invite you to talk to your manager to see if some arrangements could be possible.

relaxed place of work to build great skills

I loved the opportunity to learn things to be able advance in other things. great people to meet and have long term ships with. Pascale is however lacking.

3 August 2022
Thanks for the feedback and for the time you spent at Keywords. Best of luck to you!

Chill job

Was pretty relaxed job. Wages are low but livable in Montreal for someone with roommates. I liked the job but someone looking for more challenge probably wouldn't.

Pros

Chill

Cons

Low wage

28 March 2022
Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the working space.Also, we are always working to improve our salary for entry level positions and we also have a career ladder in place for all of our testers and offer multiple opportunities each year for advancement for those who are interested. Have a nice day!

Excellent

Les gens sont respectueux et aidants. La job est amusante ; je ne me suis jamais ennuyée. Beaucoup de compliments de la part des boss. Possibilité du travail à temps partiel.

Pros

Café gratuit, flexible

31 March 2022
Bonjour !Nous sommes très heureux de lire votre commentaire ! Il est très apprécié de voir que vous êtes satisfait de votre emploi et que l'équipe de gestion vous supporte bien ! Nous souhaitons que votre appréciation demeure la même, et n'hésitez pas à communiquer avec votre équipe sur place si vous observez des endroits où nous pourrions nous améliorer.Merci !

I like working here!

I really like my team, the tasks and organisation we have in FQA department. Everyone feels really satisfied and interested in our work, we're making cool meetings and the management is really good!

31 March 2022
Hello!Thank you for your comment, and we are very pleased to read your comment about your job and management. You ranked us 4 stars, which is great! Please don't hesitate to reach out to your local management team to let them know what could be done to become a 5 stars employer!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Keywords Studios. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement