Kerry's Place Autism Services

Kerry's Place Autism Services Employee Reviews

Canada135 reviews

autismsupportsupportedindividualstaffhouseagencysupportive

Working at KP

Kerry's place is a great place to work if you love working with individuals with autism. It is a very fulfilling job, helping clients reach their full potential and goals. The only downside is the pay which often leads to people leaving. It's sad because the clients get used to certain staff but due to the high turn over rate, they are always getting comfortable just for staff to leave again. My only suggestion is to pay frontline workers more.

Pros

Great team members and clients, friendly management

Cons

Low pay & high turn over rae

Over All Good

If you last your first couple of weeks then you will be fine. You have to be tough to work here. Staff are fine and no problem with management but clients can be tough to care for. Salary is good but not for what you do. It can be relaxed and it can be very stressful when dealing with a client who has an issue. All training is paid, meals provided for a small charge which comes out of cheque. Part time is full time hours if u want it to be and you can and will be stuck on shift when someone doesn’t come in. You can work your way up if you’re willing to work with any clients at any house. Most things depend on seniority.

Pros

hours are there

Cons

have to be tough

Insights into Kerry's Place Autism Services

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

room for advancement

I have advanced through Kerry's place with the help of various supervisors. Some are fantastic and others are not so great.Working within supported living is tough, but working with the community team is the best move I have made within this company

Most anxiety inducing job I’ve ever had.

I was afraid to come to work because of how badly I was treated by some of the full time staff. If you’re not liked, you are targeted mercilessly to the point where you find yourself calling in sick to avoid working with certain staff. I tried bringing my concerns to management and they just brushed it off and made it clear that it wasn’t a concern to them.

A job full of nonsense in every way

Where do I even begin?Lets start with the location. The Pickering program is located in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by dirt roads that are dangerous to drive on. The roads are unstable and full of pot holes and trying to get to work in bad weather is awful. The property itself is a mess and the house is surrounded by massive weeds that are bigger than actual people. There is no maintenance at all and it's disgusting.Now lets talk about the nonsense with the union. For reasons that were never actually explained, this house is one of the only houses in all of Kerry's Place that isn't part of the union. About 98% of the homes are unionised but this one is not and it shows. This program is complete chaos. Management has very little presence, there is bullying and aggressive behaviour from staff towards others with no consequence and the stress level of working in this environment is off the charts. The pay is awful, the scheduling is a mess, and the lack of workplace safety is a huge concern. I can't speak for any of the other homes but if you get a job here, avoid Pickering!

Good workplace culture and advancement opportunities

Overall a great place to work with supportive teams and management. Pay could be better along with work life balance. Lots of room for growth and advancement if you have relevant education and desire to work hard.

opportunity for growth and knowledge

There is ample opportunity to move up in this organization. The staff are appreciated and given a sense of worth by the employerThey offer multiple training opportunities and apprenticeship programs. Always for equal opportunity to all persons of various background and experience.

Pros

paid trainings

Cons

Elect to work

BAD management and NEGATIVE work environment

Stay away!!! Very bad management and negative work place. Safety is always at risk with no upper management support. Short staffed and uneducated. Job is not secure and management goes out of their way to move you to different dangerous locations where no one will work. Poor union wont do anything for improvements. Much better places to work. Expect to work afternoons and every weekend.

Meaningful work

Opportunities for advancement; very high caseloads;many CEU and training opportunities;leading a team of Behaviour Therapists and Technicians;working as part of a leadership team; below average salary; okay benefits;culture depends on region.

Staff and manager made it a very toxic environment

stay away not worth your mental health managers treat you like garbage . The responsibility is enormous but the money is small . Some staff crest drama and management play favourites

Good place to work; with challenges.

The people supported are awesome to support. If you want to improve their quality of life you are able to have so much fun. Challenges come from other employees who have been there too long & think they run the place but do no work. Management is busy as they are over worked, but they are respectful & get their work done. Management is kind & do try to connect with staff when possible. Hours are plentiful at this time, & shifts have different schedules depending on the house/floor you are working, but can includes 12,10,7.5 or 5 hours shifts. There is a high chance to get FT employment or to work FT hours until your probation period is over.

Pros

- Strong management team - many hours - flexible scheduling

Cons

- lack of accountability in coworkers - lower pay

Flexible work hours

A great place to work with flexible hours. The individual are very friendly and you can relate well with them.The management are also friendly and they carry you along in all the activities in the company. Up to date training to keep you valid on the job and help you support the individual supported.

Barely worth 1 star

No real leadership, dangerous work environment, and bad hours and pay make this job barely 1 star. I left here and went to work elsewhere supporting clients with autism and its a much better atmosphere. This place is bad to work at. Only job I've ever worked at where it was somehow acceptable for staff to yell, talk down and be downright mean to other coworkers. There was straight up bullying here and it was horrible.

Pros

Made some good friendships with a couple of my colleagues

Cons

Everything else

Good overall

Good management team, very supportive. Team culture also pleasant but pay could be better. Can be stressful as well when there are deadline and challenging support.

It is what you make out of it . Stay out of the drama and do your job .

If you are a good worker who advocates for the individual, uses common sense and stay put of the drama ypu will be fineSince pandemic there is not much work-life balance since they are very short staffedThey need to pay a more competitive wage

Pros

Good place to learn and grow as a proffessional

Cons

Low pay Manager can be hard to connect with

A transitional job (if at all) to make "some" money and leave. NOT for long term growth.

NOT recommended at all!,The residents were great., Most staff were good,Upper management seem clueless to client/staff needs,NO work/life balance!

Pros

"Free" meals., Residents are great! Most staff are there for the them., Training of Ministry mandated expectations is good. (Not the training of clients needs though)., Okay benefits but have degraded through the years., .

Cons

NO work/life balance -for full time staff especially!, Not much support or concern from (upper) management about client or staff needs, Stonewalling and ignoring of staff concerns., Extremely bad pay with minimal raises, All they have to do is read the many reviews for input but....see above.

Support Worker

Unfortunately I and many other people had a very bad experience here. Management is like a white girl fraternity and they try to fire those who they don't like. I would reccomend this job because if you work alot of hours you could definitely make money but do not allow yourself to be stuck here.

Meh

Great education/ training opportunities, individuals were amazing people to work with despite being aggressive at times. Staff shortage lead to being stuck on doubles constantly which can makes it hard to have a life outside of work especially when you have alot going on in your personal life. Over all I don't regret my time spent here however the pay could be higher for the amount of work and responsibilities you are dealt.

Pros

Free meals, benefits for full time staff, lots of hours

Cons

Long hours, high burn out rate, short staffed

The politics are sad in upper management.

The staff and individuals are good but management is sad. Ppl backstab to get ahead and if your friends with management you get whatever you want. They don’t care about their employees

Barely worth 1 star

No real leadership, dangerous work environment, and bad hours and pay make this job barely 1 star. I left here and went to work elsewhere supporting clients with autism and its a much better atmosphere. This place is bad to work at. You can find better elsewhere.

Pros

Made some good friendships with a couple of my colleagues

Cons

Everything else

Thankless work and not worth it

We work way too hard and put up with way too much for how little we get paid. Stressed, burnt out and completely unappreciated is how I would sum up the work environment. Management doesn't appreciate you and parents don't appreciate you. This is a thankless job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kerry's Place Autism Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement