Kerry's Place Autism Services

Kerry's Place Autism Services Employee Reviews

Canada89 reviews
ok
Ok place to work if your fellow employees are nice.
Managers have been switched around three times in the year I've worked here.

I've not even met the current manager.
"Sad" is the best way to sum things up.
I too was a former employee at the new Balsam program. I loved the 4 guys that lived here, they all had great qualities. Management was good and our co-ordinator was one of the nicest people you could ever met. He was a 30-year veteran of KP and we were lucky to have him. Unfortunately some of the staff made this place horrible to work at. There was a clique of 3 women, two of which were associates and one was an agency staff that worked full time hours that made the environment unbearable. Angry, abusive, hostile, controlling, mean and bullying. It was such a dangerous situation because we were so short staffed and the 2 associates in particular constantly worked overtime hours so it felt like management overlooked alot of their behaviour because they were just deseparate for coverage. Just a really sad situation all around.
Workplace harassment from co-workers is a serious issue.
I was an assistant at the new Pickering/Balsam location. Management was respectful and I enjoyed working for them. Some of the co-workers were horrible though and made this a very uncomfortable place to work at. There was a small group of full-time, female staff here that engaged in workplace bullying towards others. They were very controlling, rude, and disrespectful. They were controlling despite not having any actual authority and had no problem embarrassing other staff in front of everyone else. If they didn't like you, they went out of their way to make you feel unwanted and unsafe. I developed major anxiety while working here. Management was never able to really do anything about it because the managers were stretched so thin and had so many different houses to run. It really was a shame because this residence has so much potential and could be so much more but not with these staff working here.
Okay
Ok place to work, hard job/life balance with shifts since it is a 7 -2:30 shift or 2:30-10 shift. For some of the things they want you to do, assistants should really be paid more. You either get a motivated individual as your shift partner or someone who is there to collect a pay check which makes your shift very unenjoyable. Individuals whom we support are always a good time, rewarding supporting them to be independent as possible and being there to help them reach their personal goals.
Great company to work for and much opportunity for growth.
Enjoyed the paid training.
Learnt alot and great professional instructors.

Enjoyed co-workers...very helpful to assist

Management was very understandable
Not my best experience
They use you up and provide minimal to nonexistant supports. The managment lacks cultural sensitivities and workers get injured regularly . I found it challenging to navigate upwards
Learned lots and have few complaints
They will work with you if you want to grow you will. Management is there for you, even upper management is helpful on your journey with the company.
Great work place
Great, supportive HR team and management. Management cares about the employees and tries to make improvements and upgrades all the time to better support the employees and the individuals cared for.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Kerry's Place Autism Services?
Collaborative Team
I had so much fun working at Kerry's Place Autism Services because the team is so supportive and would always check on you. The team also practices the organization's value statements.
27 January 2020
We are so pleased to hear you had fun working at Kerry’s Place! Thanks for sharing your awesome experience!
Comfortable work atmosphere, perfect place to start off a career in
The staff members from peers to high ups are all very nice and accommodating. the training is taken very seriously and you do have to travel a bit to have all the training done such as CPR, Crisis intervention, and medical administration. Working the front lines and getting to work with the individuals one on one is the best part of the job overall and a great entry-level job for anyone interested in working in this type of field.
27 January 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience. As continuous learning is one of our core values, we are proud to offer a variety of training opportunities to our employees and we appreciate you recognizing this!
good entry job not long term
Managers are good, proper staffing is always an issue.Some houses can be very stressful with behaviours.Its a good training job for Exp.lots of agency staff that cant help out.
27 January 2020
We appreciate your feedback! We would like to encourage you to reach out to your Manager for additional support and to help improve your work experience. We know that working in this field can at times be stressful – a friendly reminder that you can always reach out to our Free Employee and Family Assistance Program if needed!
KPAS is a great place to work.
The current managements put the people supported first
Staff are treated with dignity, the unqualified Managers make it difficult for staff.

Staff are more valued now than before and the current Management sees themselves as part of the team

The people supported are great!
27 January 2020
Thanks for taking the time to submit your thoughts. While we always have areas that we can improve upon, we’re glad that you are currently satisfied with the Management Team and feel united as one team. We hope you continue to have this positive experience at Kerry’s Place. If any concerns arise in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to your Manager or HR Rep for support.
Good Management
The Management team at Kerry's Place are very supportive to help staff deal with their stress. They also had more training and workshops to educate their staff.
27 January 2020
We’re happy to hear you felt supported at Kerry’s Place. Thanks for your review!
Great place
Company staff are friendly. Clients challenge but productive to work. Clients work well with staff. Manager very supportive great agency to start and get experience.
27 January 2020
Thank you for the five star review! We are glad that you enjoy the friendly environment and feel supported at work.
Kerrys place
Good place to work. Flexible hours. Worked there a long time. Almost 5 years due to the flexibility and shift work I was able to also have another fulltime job
27 January 2020
We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the flexibility in your schedule! Thanks for your review!
It was the best of times....it was the worst of times...
Respectful of the disorder but honestly an ASPD culture within management! I was hired as an assistant and was performing by duties as expected, nothing was mentioned in my 1 month review?? I finished all the online courses your expected to complete, within the first 4 weeks, I was never approved to do any mandatory offsite training?? The house was going through a total staffing restructure and current staff were informed there was a hiring freeze because of it, I was then hired full time?? Mass email to all staff regarding job safety and no one was losing their position due to the restructure..everyone but me. Fired without reason after 6 weeks. I went above and beyond expectations in the first month I was there, only to be treated with subpar professionalism and total disrespect.
27 January 2020
We are sorry to hear of your experience. Due to the increasing needs at the Belwood site, there were changes made to the operational structure. While this was solely intended to help us provide improved support, we recognize that it was a difficult change to implement. Thank you for your time at Kerry’s Place. We appreciate your contributions to the organization.
OK place to work
Kerrys place is an ok place to work. It would be much better if the wages were competitive with other agencies of its kind. Staff turn around is high and thus causes people to get stuck on shift rather often.
27 January 2020
Thanks for your review! We recognize staffing shortages continue to be a challenge within the Developmental Sector and this is an area we are continuing to work on.
Over worked, and under paid
I was a former a employee of Kerry's Place Autism Services for over 5 years. You are taken advantage of, the pay is not enough for the high risk environment you are susceptible to and aggressive behaviours, you as the front staff are the problem in the managements eyes no one else, they implement behavioural plans that are unreasonable for the clients and these are written by people who don't work with the clients on a day to day basis, and they care more about the dollars the clients are bringing in not about the staffs safety. They ask their employees for their advice, opinions or ideas, and then disregard them and implement the complete opposite.
27 January 2020
We regret to hear that you felt your opinions were not heard and we’re sorry you did not have a great experience at Kerry’s Place. The behavioural plans are in place to help enhance the lives of people we support. Behavioural plans are developed by our Clinical Team of professionals based on what has been proven most effective according to evidence-based research in the ASD field. As a non-for-profit organization, the majority of funding we receive is from the provincial government. The money the organization receives is solely intended to help further our mission and give back to our community. Safety is of utmost importance to our organization and we are proud to participate in various safety initiatives across the organization such as H&S Month, regular H&S Meetings, On-going Training and H&S Contests. Thank you for sharing your concerns. We hope we have helped to clear up any misconceptions.
It is a very good place to work at
Kerry's Place Autism Services is a very good place to work at.There is lots of independence and flexibility when working as a behaviour therapist. The management is very understanding of your personal life and the staff are very friendly and nice. That is why Kerry's Place is an excellent place to work at.
Pros
Flexibility scheduling your own schedule
Cons
Unpaid breaks, low pay
27 January 2020
Thanks for your feedback! We are glad to hear you enjoy the independence and flexibility in your role!
It's a great place to work, fast-paced and requires continuous learning. The workplace culture is good, relaxed and people are very approachable (especially the management).
27 January 2020
It’s great to hear that you enjoy the workplace culture! Thank you for leaving a review.
Great place to work as a starter job in the mental health field
A job that will test you mental limits on a daily basis, not extremely physically demanding. Learning to communicate with people that have a hard time communicating is a challenge, but also a reward. When you get to know the clients better, quality of life for everyone improves greatly. Trust builds over time. Good, quality co-workers helped to make shifts fly by, and provided assistance in challenging scenarios when needed. Management was around frequently to make sure everyone was ok, and that clients' Plan of Care were being followed.
27 January 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to write this review! We are pleased that you found the experience to be overall rewarding!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kerry's Place Autism Services. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8