Kent Building Supplies Pay & Benefits reviews

Challenging but rewarding
Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB1 September 2019
I have always found my work to be challenging but rewarding. There is a lot of opportunity to try new roles and stretch your current capabilities. The management team is supportive and available to help coach on areas for improvement. The team environment is great, I love my coworkers and enjoy having fun while getting the job done. Benefits are really good!
Great Place to Work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Riverview, NB17 July 2019
If you are looking for a minimum wage job, especially a starting job, or you are retired and looking for work, this is the place. The staff are friendly and amazing to work with. You will be made to feel welcome and a part of the family from day 1. A great place to work and if you work full time for a year, you get amazing benefits, like 7 paid sick days, paid vacation and pension, medical, dental etc. You also get discounts on merchandise. The longest job I have ever had because of the people. Even the customers say our staff is amazing.
Pros
Amazing Family Atmosphere, Holidays off and Benefits
Cons
Pay - Minimum Wage.
great place to work if you are creative in finding thing to do.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB29 May 2019
task change based on upper managements direction.0+ hours a day for 8 hours pay.

you do have the flexibility to take a break when are working in stressful situations or when weather is hot.
Pros
free time
Cons
little pay
Good work environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NS28 April 2019
Opportunities for advancement
many changing priorities, must be ready to go with the flow
customer service is a priority
great people to work with
no fixed schedule
Pros
many benefits, product discount
Cons
changing schedules
Don’t work here
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL14 March 2019
U can brake your back for them and they don’t see it . The warehouse supervisor is the only one that will say thank you or tell you good jobs. I been wrote up 3 times and I’m on my last waring, for stupid stuff. Even a manger lied on one of my write ups . They will give you 40 hours a week but cut them as soon as the times are hard . The wage is no where close to being where it should be . Stay away from Kent because it’s the worse place to work ...
Pros
You got a jobs
Cons
Everything about Kent
Horrible Place to Work
Greenhouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 March 2019
Absolutely terrible place to work. The management doesn't care about anything that goes on and how you are treated, or if you're being harassed by your supervisor, not to mention they are incredibly sexist towards women. There are no raises, in fact one of my co-workers makes the same as me and has been there for 6 years! There is also an extremely high turnover rate especially throughout the fall and winter months. They also rarely give any shifts from January to April, so if your a student this is not the place to work. This is not a workplace to grow in, and if you are looking for something long term with benefits, Kent is not that.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
low-wages, no raises, toxic atmosphere
Productive workplace with free food sometimes
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 January 2019
A typical day at work consists of either well-paced work or doing tedious tasks to keep yourself busy, depending on the assistant manager. If there's a good one working, the day will be pretty good, plenty of work to do, but they trust that you will get it done properly. However, if there is a bad manager working, it'll be a day of useless meaningless tasks and constant reminders to do so.

I have learned the importance of being kind to customers as it will not only look good on you, but it will increase the chances of getting a returning customer.

The workplace culture is very friendly. Most associates are more than willing to be your friend and share a laugh.

The hardest part of the job is working during the off season of winter. There can be some days when there is next to nothing to do and you have to find a way to keep busy.

The most enjoyable part of the job in my opinion is when you get praise from the customers about how good of a job you've done. It shows the supervisors/managers the hard work you put in.
Pros
Getting to work outside
Cons
Some of the managers aren't pleasant to work for
look elsewhere
Lumber Yard Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 November 2018
pay is minimum wage, benefits are only given to older employees who own their own homes
this is a job for students or retirees. if you arent either of these it is a dead end job
not for most
Contractor Lighting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE25 October 2018
The company is very much about the customer but unfortunately have very little care for the staff. They push safety (this is to save money not for your well being) where it makes your job difficult to do. Management has there favorites which strangely enough seem to be the ones that don't know and don't do much. A good job for a student if you are looking for minimum wage. If you are looking for a career I would suggest looking elsewhere. Pay is below average and benefits are lacking.
Pros
company wise, very little
Cons
pay, shift work (for most), no staff appreciation, weekends, evenings, gossip, favorites, etc.
fast paced
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB9 September 2018
fun place to work, must be willing to work hard, you can get training on a lot of stuff hardest part is having enough time in the day to do everything
Cons
long hours, short staffed all the time
Can be fast-paced and enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL27 August 2018
I come in and do a walk through of my department, put things away, fill holes. Help customers as needed. Management is nice but often doesn't follow policy when it comes to returns and giving out sale prices after the sales so they usually say yes after you already said no to the customer which sucks. Management changes a lot though, they're all constantly changing stores. The hardest part is the bad customers who come in screaming at you. I've been cursed out by customers before and called down to the dirt all because I wouldn't let them return something they didn't even get at Kent or because I wouldn't put the money they're owed from a return on visa when they bought it on MasterCard (its against our policy to put it back on a different type card then what they paid it on, I'd get wrote up if I did). But the employees are the absolute best part. Everyone is so kind and it really does feel like one big family. And theres a lot you can learn at a place like Kent. A lot of good life skills and work skills. It does sound bad but once you're there you won't want to leave because of the incredible people you meet.
Pros
Great co-workers, nice atmosphere
Cons
frequent hour cuts, no raises for part-timers
Fast moving and fun business to work for
Customer Service, Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Antigonish, NS5 August 2018
Kent Building Supplies is a great company to work for. Specializing in your "everything store under one roof" is a way of saying this store has everything you need for building projects, DIY projects at home, and more! The majority of the staff is highly dedicated, friendly, and passionate about customer service. They always work to approach the customer instead of the customer having to chase down an associate for help. It was a fantastic place to learn, and grow in the customer service sector. Plenty of room for career growth. It is not a place to go and make a lot of money at, but it is a great place to build on your experience in the workforce.

starting is roughly $11, with only a $.25 raise after a year of doing a good job. Managers don't make a lot of money at this place for the responsibilities they hold. Store manager makes less than $50K per year
Pros
free lunches, staff appreciation, fantastic management, clean
Cons
low paying salaries, minimum wage for starters, with low-monetary raises
awful soul sucking place
worker (Former Employee) –  Nova scotia26 June 2018
Kent is easily the worst place to work. The management doesn't care about you, through they claim they do on paper. God forbid you get hurt, they won't support you they will basically force you to quit or fire you if they can. The pay is terrible and you don't get raises
Pros
Cons
everything
Enjoyable working environment
Lumber Yard Labourer (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE16 May 2018
Working at Kent was a good experience given that I had not previously worked and was a good starting ground. Though it took time to discover the whereabouts of products and how to work with customers, I got more comfortable over time. There was never a lack of shifts to work and I was able to get many hours there.
Pros
Getting hours not an issue
Cons
Long day on pavement
stable work enviroment
Front End Department Head (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 March 2018
Kent is a reliable work environment. It has reliable work hours but very little in the ways of advancement and it runs on a who knows who when it comes to applying for jobs within the company.
Pros
steady reliable hours
Cons
little to no room for advancement
good work place
Project Desk associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB15 March 2018
Working here was pretty good. I worked nights and weekends. They let me have saturdays off because i had another event. They were easy to get along with, they just needed to do some things differently and either hire more people or cut down on the operation hours.
Pros
work with good people, some activities for workers.
Cons
long hours, low pay
good experince with lumber and materials
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS16 February 2018
The work place at kent was ok it semed as if managment was not very caring about the employees. i leearned alot about materials and lumber and gained good experience but i just didnt enjoy working there. seemed like no matter what you did or how long you worked there they didnt want to help with pay or health bennifits.
Working at Kent Building Supplies was amazing
Project Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Atholville, NB31 January 2018
If your looking for a job with great benefits, friendly staff, Job security and a lot of Advancement opportunity working for JDI is just amazing they have so many company that you can transfer to if you're ever looking for another challenge career wise.
Great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB15 January 2018
Loved it there great people, salary needs a boost, but benefits are all there. Would recommend to someone looking for a great atmosphere to work in...
Pros
Clean places attention to detail
Cons
Slow progression
Very productive workplace.
Kitchens (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 October 2017
Very productive workplace. Always projects to work on. Never a dull moment. Morale is not the best with a high turn over rate. Work associates are easy to get a long with.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks
Cons
Low morale