Kent Building Supplies Management reviews

not for most
Contractor Lighting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE25 October 2018
The company is very much about the customer but unfortunately have very little care for the staff. They push safety (this is to save money not for your well being) where it makes your job difficult to do. Management has there favorites which strangely enough seem to be the ones that don't know and don't do much. A good job for a student if you are looking for minimum wage. If you are looking for a career I would suggest looking elsewhere. Pay is below average and benefits are lacking.
Pros
company wise, very little
Cons
pay, shift work (for most), no staff appreciation, weekends, evenings, gossip, favorites, etc.
Can be fast-paced and enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL27 August 2018
I come in and do a walk through of my department, put things away, fill holes. Help customers as needed. Management is nice but often doesn't follow policy when it comes to returns and giving out sale prices after the sales so they usually say yes after you already said no to the customer which sucks. Management changes a lot though, they're all constantly changing stores. The hardest part is the bad customers who come in screaming at you. I've been cursed out by customers before and called down to the dirt all because I wouldn't let them return something they didn't even get at Kent or because I wouldn't put the money they're owed from a return on visa when they bought it on MasterCard (its against our policy to put it back on a different type card then what they paid it on, I'd get wrote up if I did). But the employees are the absolute best part. Everyone is so kind and it really does feel like one big family. And theres a lot you can learn at a place like Kent. A lot of good life skills and work skills. It does sound bad but once you're there you won't want to leave because of the incredible people you meet.
Pros
Great co-workers, nice atmosphere
Cons
frequent hour cuts, no raises for part-timers
Fast moving and fun business to work for
Customer Service, Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Antigonish, NS5 August 2018
Kent Building Supplies is a great company to work for. Specializing in your "everything store under one roof" is a way of saying this store has everything you need for building projects, DIY projects at home, and more! The majority of the staff is highly dedicated, friendly, and passionate about customer service. They always work to approach the customer instead of the customer having to chase down an associate for help. It was a fantastic place to learn, and grow in the customer service sector. Plenty of room for career growth. It is not a place to go and make a lot of money at, but it is a great place to build on your experience in the workforce.

starting is roughly $11, with only a $.25 raise after a year of doing a good job. Managers don't make a lot of money at this place for the responsibilities they hold. Store manager makes less than $50K per year
Pros
free lunches, staff appreciation, fantastic management, clean
Cons
low paying salaries, minimum wage for starters, with low-monetary raises
awful soul sucking place
worker (Former Employee) –  Nova scotia26 June 2018
Kent is easily the worst place to work. The management doesn't care about you, through they claim they do on paper. God forbid you get hurt, they won't support you they will basically force you to quit or fire you if they can. The pay is terrible and you don't get raises
Pros
Cons
everything
Understaffed, but most employees were nice to work with.
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL4 June 2018
A typical day consisted of checking in customers and organizing inventory. Most other employees were great to work with, but management was inconsistent and did not seem to understand how to manage the front staff appropriately. It was greatly understaffed most of the time, particularly evenings and weekends. I did learn about the importance of customer service, which was also the hardest part of the job because you can't make everyone happy.
good experience
yard supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls, NB27 May 2018
I loved working with people again outside but the management weren't the very best, we were overworked and shorthanded so it made us kinda hate the job and to add to it we was under paid.
Great place to learn and grow if you work hard
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 March 2018
I had great opportunities with Kent, but worked hard to earn every one. The co-workers are the best part of the job. I really enjoyed the chances I had to meet wonderful people around the Maritimes. The individual store managers are over-stressed and underpaid. The upper management is quite disconnected from the store staff.

The most recent pattern of hiring and promoting only young white men is disconcerting. The opportunities for advancement for women and minorities are almost non-existent. With the recent acquisition of Central Building Supplies, there have been a few more opportunities for women but these are rare.
Pros
great peers and good growth opportunities
Cons
pay scale, DMs, focus on promoting men, lack of diversity
Work Management Style
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL14 March 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with but found that management would not be as supportive.

We would be told in certain senarios that credits would not be given which we would tell customer then the management would reverse the decision and I always felt that they made us look idiotic.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
Long hour, minimum wage, shifts
Great employer
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Stellarton, NS11 March 2018
Productive environment to work in, help employees and good management. Very accommodating to schedules and very supportive to university students. Overall really enjoyed my summer there.
Pros
Work variety
Cons
Limited growth opportunities
Job security
Receiver (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 December 2017
Company had an extensive amount of job security for those willing to work.
Management was very unorganized.
Too many people employed but not enough work being done on the floor.
A lot of miscommunication among management and supervisors, resulting in chaos.
Cons
Right to refuse unsafe work was not an option
very enjoyable and busy
Contractor Sales/New Construction (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL3 November 2017
Very professional workplace and the staff and management were very professional and well trained. I spent most of my day on the phone with contractors and in front of my computer. Quoting business projects was a big part of my day. I was on my own for much of the time with very little contact with management but dealt with other associates in the store on a regular basis. What I enjoyed most about the job was the interaction with customers and the customer service aspect of the job. Large projects became very time consuming and tedious when it came to the actually sourcing and ordering process.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Tools to be more sucessful
Very productive workplace.
Kitchens (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 October 2017
Very productive workplace. Always projects to work on. Never a dull moment. Morale is not the best with a high turn over rate. Work associates are easy to get a long with.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks
Cons
Low morale
not great
Associate (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL20 June 2017
when I worked at kent the employees weren't nice at all, I never got the benefits I was suppose to get, and they don't treat you equal. it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Pros
gain life expereances
Cons
the employees, work enviorment
Great Employees, Great atmosphere
Drywall Labourer (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS13 June 2017
although i worked as a temp for this company, i enjoyed most of my days here. The people who work here are some of the best people i have worked with, and that is what really makes your job feel less like a job and more like fun. I was always treated with great respect by management and supervisors and miss my time spent there. Had to leave due to complications with being a hired temp and having to go through hoops to become a permanent employee.
Pros
Great enviroment, good management, treats employees fairly
Cons
random hours, hires temps
Fair
cashier and on switchboard (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 May 2017
I enjoyed working with my employees they were all great people! Management was okay for the most part, I felt valued as an employee and my supervisors were very helpful.
Great Place to work
Lumber Yard worker (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL30 April 2017
Great Place to work. Worked well with team. Able to work more hours as needed and able to take time off as needed. Management was good to work with, fair and friendly. Physical labor but helped to keep me in shape.
Forklift Operator/Lumber Handler (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 April 2017
Was not the most professional work place, understaffed and workload made it stressful. Management team would tell you to follow policy and when times got hard, they would not follow policy.
management needs drastic improvement
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB12 April 2017
Kent has given me experience with customer service, however, this job is beneath my capabilities, and it will slowly break your spirit as management cares about one thing, making money
excellent
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Gander, NL7 February 2017
A great environment to learn more about the company
Management was an asset to learning and growing within the company
room to grow in this compant
great work environment, slow at times
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Rothesay, NB17 January 2017
loved the contractors coming in everyday and making friends, management was very average, for the most part good co workers, there wasnt a very tough part of the job, most enjoyable was seeing my favorite contractors every day.