Kent Building Supplies Employee Reviews

Safe and Reliable work with good staff and customers
Lumberyard Worker (Current Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL24 April 2018
Typicals days are reviewing Lumberyard safety practices, sorting and cutting Lumber, assisting customers with products. Learned how to drive a forklift
Pros
Friendly staff and outside work
Cons
long hours, lots of unnecessary garbage being thrown out
Great Company
Project Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NB17 April 2018
Great company to work for. Excellent people to work with. excellent training provided to all employees I fully enjoyed working for Kent and would have loved to stay with the company. I would return there anytime.
Busy,customer service friendly company
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB16 April 2018
Kent Building Supplies is a team based company that very much works along the lines of safety and teamwork. Many oppertunitys for advancement if you desire to do so.
Cons
Hours often cut in winter months, associate to associate conflicts
stable work enviroment
Front End Department Head (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 March 2018
Kent is a reliable work environment. It has reliable work hours but very little in the ways of advancement and it runs on a who knows who when it comes to applying for jobs within the company.
Pros
steady reliable hours
Cons
little to no room for advancement
good work place
Project Desk associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB15 March 2018
Working here was pretty good. I worked nights and weekends. They let me have saturdays off because i had another event. They were easy to get along with, they just needed to do some things differently and either hire more people or cut down on the operation hours.
Pros
work with good people, some activities for workers.
Cons
long hours, low pay
Work Management Style
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL14 March 2018
I enjoyed the people I worked with but found that management would not be as supportive.

We would be told in certain senarios that credits would not be given which we would tell customer then the management would reverse the decision and I always felt that they made us look idiotic.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
Long hour, minimum wage, shifts
Great employer
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Stellarton, NS11 March 2018
Productive environment to work in, help employees and good management. Very accommodating to schedules and very supportive to university students. Overall really enjoyed my summer there.
Pros
Work variety
Cons
Limited growth opportunities
free uniforms
Flooring Sales, assembly of display units (Former Employee) –  Saint John East, NB6 March 2018
free iniforms. definetley learning new things daily. great staff. steady customers. not to far a drive to work . also bus goes right by the store. it is in the most poular part of town. very busy in the area its located. all very popular shopping spots amd eateries next door. a definite place with a lot of customers, and private contractors buying there stock also.
Pros
lunch room was excellent
Cons
hours not reliable
Adequate workplace, difficult to advance in
Associate (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL28 February 2018
I work for Kent Building supplies several times, the only issue was the inability to be able to voice concerns. The opportunity of advancement was difficult.
good experince with lumber and materials
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS16 February 2018
The work place at kent was ok it semed as if managment was not very caring about the employees. i leearned alot about materials and lumber and gained good experience but i just didnt enjoy working there. seemed like no matter what you did or how long you worked there they didnt want to help with pay or health bennifits.
Working at Kent Building Supplies was amazing
Project Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Atholville, NB31 January 2018
If your looking for a job with great benefits, friendly staff, Job security and a lot of Advancement opportunity working for JDI is just amazing they have so many company that you can transfer to if you're ever looking for another challenge career wise.
Great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB15 January 2018
Loved it there great people, salary needs a boost, but benefits are all there. Would recommend to someone looking for a great atmosphere to work in...
Pros
Clean places attention to detail
Cons
Slow progression
Job security
Receiver (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 December 2017
Company had an extensive amount of job security for those willing to work.
Management was very unorganized.
Too many people employed but not enough work being done on the floor.
A lot of miscommunication among management and supervisors, resulting in chaos.
Cons
Right to refuse unsafe work was not an option
Opportunity's
Assistant merchant (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 November 2017
Working for Kent building supplies gives you lots for opportunities to move up in the company. This is a fast pace company and are growing daily. Kent have a very good medical plan and retirement savings plan.
Pros
Lots of new job offerings
Cons
Short time lines
Flexible work hours with great benefits
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL5 November 2017
Working with kents has provided me with qualities that builds my people reationship. I have also trained on the job and equipped with qualities that will help me in my next job.
very enjoyable and busy
Contractor Sales/New Construction (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL3 November 2017
Very professional workplace and the staff and management were very professional and well trained. I spent most of my day on the phone with contractors and in front of my computer. Quoting business projects was a big part of my day. I was on my own for much of the time with very little contact with management but dealt with other associates in the store on a regular basis. What I enjoyed most about the job was the interaction with customers and the customer service aspect of the job. Large projects became very time consuming and tedious when it came to the actually sourcing and ordering process.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Tools to be more sucessful
decent products
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB15 October 2017
Not much room for advancements, usually lacking sufficient associates.Products are good, easy to sell. Many customers complain about lack of floor service.
excellent training provided
Installation Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pearl, NL13 October 2017
Kent provided excellent training in both job safety and skills development.
I was hired for a position that I was not qualified for but they saw potential in me through the interviewing process and capitalized on my skills from previous positions. I learned a great deal while working at Kent.
Pros
flexibility with hours
Cons
high staff turnover
Very productive workplace.
Kitchens (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 October 2017
Very productive workplace. Always projects to work on. Never a dull moment. Morale is not the best with a high turn over rate. Work associates are easy to get a long with.
Pros
1 hour lunch breaks
Cons
Low morale
Best for students and retirees.
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS21 September 2017
Kent is only for retired people or for people in school or for someone that just wants some extra money . If your trying to raise a family on Kent wages you will have an extremely hard time you will never own a ((nice)) car or a home unless you have a spouse you won't be able to afford much. The wages are really bad. Well kent does have a retirement plan its an rrsp and well thats better than nothing they could do much better for there employees..On the othere's hand most of the staff are friendly and are easy to get along with,the medical plan is good and not expensive,and the employee discount is fantastic.
Pros
Medical plan, employee discount, employees, rrsp
Cons
Low wages, dead end job, no pensions, they make you buy uniforms