KENNEDY HOUSE YOUTH SERVICES

KENNEDY HOUSE YOUTH SERVICES Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
My experience as a part time employee has been a roller coaster. Some weeks you’re able to work shifts and other weeks there’s NO HOURS for you to work.

Absolutely no advancement in your job unless you’re okay with long hours and constant change of shift work. The pay is ridiculous with no raise

The experience and activities you do with the youth are fun, and best part.

The culture of coworkers is clique like and not everyone is on the same page.
Non productive, negative and toxic workplace with many immature staff and unprofessional management and staff. They have favorites there and lie to and deceive staff.
Pros
no pros
Cons
Took away free meals for the staff
They will bleed you dry before ever attempting to assist during a crisis or offer assistance. They don't offer help to but have no issue with dictating and belittling staff. Management blatantly states they don't trust staff at all.
Most of their youths are independent and highly functional ,Some go to school while some are working,you a G license because you will need to take youths out when necessary, you also have to give medication to the youth when necessary but you will be trained for it
It was a nice place to work because they understand the youth of today.
they provide the youth with many community souses. well organized and friendly staff
Management treats you poorly, non profit and they line their pockets. Pay is low and they do not give raises unless you are management. You get a Christmas bonus that they tax. You cannot grieve without fear of reprisal and no appreciation. Supervisors are treated bad and often work on their own time without compensation. Benefits are outdated and they want you to complete the same task in 3 areas. Disgusting place to work.
Not a great place to work, a lot of expectations and repetitive tasks for low pay. Staff and supervisors are overworked and under payed giving the agency their own time. Management are ridiculous and bully their staff. They have no appreciate for the work done and present as fake when you are around. Main HR person, swears and can be heard bad mouthing staff at the office. Non profit agency but the ED make $156,000. They don’t appear to believe their own mission, vision and and values statement.
Pros
Built some great relationships with staff
Cons
Low pay, work overload, bullied by management
Was a full time emploee, my father was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Wanted to go part time. Signed the part time contract. Then recieved a email fireing me because I could not work the last 2 days of my resignation from full time because my father was admitted to hospital. They lied about my Record of employment stating I Quit.
Stressful for a low wage.
Youth are the best part about job.

Not allowed to make mistakes without being ridiculed

Sometimes will get hours and then go a week or more without working.
Supervisor is ok but thinks he or she is above front line workers. The pay sucks. Too much responsibility for the low rate of pay. Some staff are lazy an don't pull their weight. Never is there discipline for these kinds of behaviors
I enjoy working at KHYS however, the pay is absolutely terrible!!! Been there for quite a while and no raise!!!

They have not given a raise in over 10 yrs and this just is not right!
The rate of pay is low for the amount of work and clients with aggressive behaviours. Too much documentation on shift on shift. Supervisors are supportive. Work culture is good. Staff are respectful and friendly. Doing activities with the Youth. Overall great experience, mostly stress free.
Horrible place to work. No support from management. If you call the police with out permission you get in trouble. They expect u to take physical abuse from the clients, and if you complain you are targeted. Your forced to work overtime, your forced to be on call and you are forced to cover up incidents from the ministry I worked here for 10 years. This is a horrible place to work. Please do not work at this agency
The worst work environment possible; very toxic and unhealthy. Management is not supportive; the best thing about this job are the youth. But this job is not ideal due to the toxicity in the work place and lack of support from supervisors and head office.
Run for the hills!! Terrible company. I worked at Galloway. The supervisor was quite aggressive and rude towards staff. Overworked, aggressive clients and bad pay.
Pros
Free food
Cons
All which has been mentioned
FAVORITISM and NO true care for employees.
Your always replaceable.

You get beat up by youth in developmental sector.

You charge a youth, or speak up about the management you loose your job or work in a bad environment.

If your scared don't come to work said by a supervisor.

Turn over rate is high.

No proper staffing. 2:1 turns into 1:1
I absolutely love providing services to the Youths at Kennedy House Youth Services. The hardest part working there is the late shifts. to work full time you have to be available 24 hours.
work was good
management was okay

the clients were great

the service provide be kennedy house for youth was remarkable

the food service is done by professional cooks
Working with Kennedy House Youth Services has never been a dull moment. I've been working with individuals with dual diagnostic (individuals who has issues with the law and also individuals with mental issues). We work within a diversity group at all times and supporting them with their daily routines (chores, cooking, job hunting) helping them to work towards their goals and also being a part of their community.
Pros
respect, support, tolerance, patience, trust and confidence
Cons
aggressive-both verbal and physical, tolerance
I’ve was working at Kennedy for awhile and have to say that the aggressive clients you work with are not worth the lack of pay you receive. I worked with non verbal autistic clients and I spend most of my days cleaning feces and repeating myself all day. It is very mentally exhausting as the shifts are 12 hours.

There was also a lack of training when I was hired, there’s still many things there that I don’t know how to do and when asking others how to do them they don’t know either. When asking management if I could be trained properly on a few things it was shrugged off and never happened. I was thrown into it without proper training and just fending for myself.

Also if you’re full time, night shifts are mandatory so you will have to do overnights at the same rate of pay.

The only good thing about it is the benefits. They do have really good benefits for you and your family.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of training, lack of breaks, pay, shift work
Of course it's like any other group home... not caring about front line workers, trying to fill beds etc
There was little to no training provided for new hires. You hit the ground running and you're expected to know how to do something just from being told once. Supervisors were constantly stressed and it affected all staff. They were also unprofessional at times. Lack of support from management in crisis situations and even mental health of staff due to the job.

Brought in youth who they later "discovered" were not a good fit for the home.
Pros
Benefits as full time, long hours