KENNEDY HOUSE YOUTH SERVICES Employee Reviews

It is a joy working with both speacial needs and behavioural youths
Developmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON23 February 2019
Working with Kennedy House Youth Services has never been a dull moment. I've been working with individuals with dual diagnostic (individuals who has issues with the law and also individuals with mental issues). We work within a diversity group at all times and supporting them with their daily routines (chores, cooking, job hunting) helping them to work towards their goals and also being a part of their community.
Pros
respect, support, tolerance, patience, trust and confidence
Cons
aggressive-both verbal and physical, tolerance
Horrible place for youth
Front Line Staff (Former Employee) –  Various10 December 2018
Youth are medicated to the nth degree in order to make management job easier. Staff is not trained at all and hiring practices are based on anything but ability. Food provided is sub-par and head office has hidden agenda to make as much profit as possible regardless of the best interest of youth in care.
Pros
Last day on the job
Cons
Management and lack of professionalism
Not worth it for the pay and lack of training
Developmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2018
I’ve was working at Kennedy for awhile and have to say that the aggressive clients you work with are not worth the lack of pay you receive. I worked with non verbal autistic clients and I spend most of my days cleaning feces and repeating myself all day. It is very mentally exhausting as the shifts are 12 hours.

There was also a lack of training when I was hired, there’s still many things there that I don’t know how to do and when asking others how to do them they don’t know either. When asking management if I could be trained properly on a few things it was shrugged off and never happened. I was thrown into it without proper training and just fending for myself.

Also if you’re full time, night shifts are mandatory so you will have to do overnights at the same rate of pay.

The only good thing about it is the benefits. They do have really good benefits for you and your family.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of training, lack of breaks, pay, shift work
Could be better
Full time - galloway (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON12 November 2018
Of course it's like any other group home... not caring about front line workers, trying to fill beds etc
There was little to no training provided for new hires. You hit the ground running and you're expected to know how to do something just from being told once. Supervisors were constantly stressed and it affected all staff. They were also unprofessional at times. Lack of support from management in crisis situations and even mental health of staff due to the job.
Brought in youth who they later "discovered" were not a good fit for the home.
Pros
Benefits as full time, long hours
good if you enjoy shift work
Developmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 October 2018
the job itself like many other group homes is unpredictable but an enriching experience in various ways. The difficulty lies in the shift work, going from working days to evenings and overnights then back to days takes a lot on the body.
Amazing place to work
Residential Youth Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 July 2018
The best place I have worked. Management was supportive, and many efforts were made for team building. Very comfortable environment to work in. All staff were treated with respect.
Company going downhill
Front Line Staff dsw (Former Employee) –  Galloway5 December 2017
KHYS has no regard for their employees safety or any security. KHYS bullies their employees. Theres no job security they close houses to avoid unions so they can continue to violate people's rights. Getting injured and being in over hr long restraints due to a lack of guidance and proper adequate training. Housing extremely aggressively individuals with special needs but their program supervisors have no understanding of the intensity and complex needs of the individuals in their care. KHYS outsources to agency staff since they cant and don't maintain positive relationships with their staff. KHYS just fills beds for $ clients differ drastically from one another that safety takes a priority over program goals. Greedy heartless company that has no morals or ethics.
Cons
violent unsupportive dangerous
It's not bad
Devemopmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Scatbrough2 August 2017
Honestly it's okay. Co-worker atmosphere is what kind of sucks. If the coworkers weren't so lazy it would be better. Management is great, head office is great. From what I hear other programs are good too.
Benefits
Cons
Weekends
Great experience
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON10 June 2015
I was highly motivated working at Kennedy House Youth Services. I enjoyed working with the young people who all had very different experiences and struggles.
Pros
Loved working with the youth in the group home
Cons
Contract ended
Worthwhile
Child Youth Worker/ Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2014
I currently work with behavioural teenage girls that range from 14-18 years of age that have Personality Disorder, Conduct disorder, etc. The majority type of kids are mental Health.

I am currently the Assistant Supervisor the houses 5-9 females and 9 staff.

I enjoy my job and the lives that I change/better along the way. it's never a dull moment and love the impact I have left on these girls.
The agency gives you a hands on experience and the teaching's in working in child welfare and corrections.
Residential Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2014
I currently work as a residential supervisor in a child welfare residence. Kennedy House has been a positive work environment giving employee's room to challenge them selves and grow within the company.

Being a manager is not easily as you have to ensure your employee's are always following and or abiding by the code of conduct. That the clients right's and responsibilities are not being breached and that their safe and or protected.
Kennedy House Youth Services
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 July 2013
i worked shift work throughout my years at Kennedy House. I worked in a residential setting with an amazing staff team, as well as my clients. I have learned many new techniques and strategies that have and will continue to compliment my work ethic. The most enjoyable part of my job would have been my interactions with my clients whether from a therapeutic or social approach i have many everlasting memories. The hardest part of my job would have been the shift work.
Pros
interactions within the home, as well as in the community
Cons
shift work