Kelowna Yacht Club

Kelowna Yacht Club Employee Reviews

Canada7 reviews
The morning shifts are brutal for prep cooks, otherwise that's where they put the useless people. The night shift is insanely demanding for every position. Sometimes the dish doesnt close until 1 am and the head chef changes every couple of months due to how stressful the job is. HR is rude and judgemental and thinks they run the club.
Hi there,
Thank-you for taking the time to review your employment at Kelowna Yacht Club. We are constantly trying to improve and create the best lake life experience for our employees. Our Club is seasonally driven, with a high volume of Members attending the club in the summer months. We recognize that is can be demanding and therefore begin recruiting for seasonal positions in early spring, to ensure we are well staffed.

Our Member Lounge is open late on the weekends, with the back of the house having to stay 1-2 hours after the restaurant closes to ensure that sanitization and cleaning is completed before re-opening in the morning.

Our “head” Executive Chef, Jeff Burns has been employed with KYCH since May 2018. Jeff has been a leader within the Club, building relationships within his kitchen staff, often offering re-employment to seasonal staff.

Our HR team has seen a few changes over the last year, with our newest HR Specialist starting in late February 2020. Due to COVID, KYC was forced to shut down from March 19, 2020 to May 21, 2020. HR worked alongside KYC’s senior leadership team to ensure that all Federal and Provincial health guidelines were strictly enforced and followed. This did lead to many communication emails from HR, with rules and regulations that all staff were required to follow.

Again, I would like to thank-you for your feedback and it does provide valuable insight for our team. All the best with your future endeavours!
Working at the yacht club was the best in the summer but towards the winter I got almost no shifts. Management is great they may seem tough but all they want is for you to do the best you can. Staff is super nice, it honestly felt like one big family and same with the customers, since it’s a club you see a lot of the same customers and you form a bond with them, i rarely had to deal with any mean customers and most of the time management would deal with them so it wouldn’t put stress on us. If you’re a student they prioritize that you are able to get off work at a reasonable hour for school. they’re super flexible with their scheduling and I had no problems booking days off or calling in sick. Great staff only event days are very stressful and you can expect to stay overtime
Pros
Discount on food and great Tips
Cons
Overtime and Long hours
8 July 2020
Thank-you for sharing your experience! We are happy to know that you feel apart of the KYCH family.
Kitchen is always busy and there is always something to be done. The kitchen works seemlessly together to make a 30 top fun and less stressfull. Great place to work.
Pros
food
Cons
late nights
Hi there!
Thank-you for sharing your experience. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time working with us.
The members can be demanding and the management has their hands tied. When management tried to make changes the board fired most of them. Even the members got upset about that and several hundred quit. Tips are really low there too - they are known as the 10% club as that is all you are going to make. The members pay fees to belong and feel they do not need to also tip the staff.
Pay isn't too bad for many of the positions but the treatment you get is why - they have to pay a little bit more to put up with the hassles.
Pros
free lunches, decent base pay
Cons
no parking, needy members
The KYC had great staff and were more then helpful when issues came up. I enjoyed working at the Yacht Club i was able to take away a a great deal of knowledge of the industry after my time with the.
It was very disorganized. Have to be able to know the wine list very well as the members are very pretentious. Honestly not worth the stress levels when it gets busy and management there are not that reliable. Great money though
Pros
staff discount, good money
Cons
long hours and stressful environment
The management was always very helpful and forgiving the few times I made mistakes. Kitchen staff was nice and very funny. The actual restaurant is very well decorated and the hours were good for the most part until business slowed down in the winter.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, positive environment
Cons
Entitled customers, bottlenecked kitchen space
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kelowna Yacht Club. Our community is ready to answer.
Kelowna Yacht Club Reviews by Location