Kelowna General Hospital

Kelowna General Hospital Employee Reviews

I enjoy working here

I enjoy working here and appreciate the opportunities for growth. Education and support through the staff educators is readily available. Orientation to new areas is generous and specific to the new hire.

Pros

Flexible coworkers

Cons

Parking space

Don't Do It

When I started working here it was great.... till I saw what it really was, management sucks they only care about rules and not the people that work here. It's a very high school like atmosphere, gossiping, toxicity. If you're not fully vaccinated don't even bother applying they're firing anyone who isn't fully vaccinated anyways.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Management, Bullying, Hours

interesting

fast paced, intercollaborative. Working short is something you have to get used to however the dynamic team work and individuals make every work day worth it.

Excellent job

Great staff and supervisors, chaotic at times, but worth every minute of it! Great pay with the ability to work quite a bit of overtime, large variety of shifts available.

relaxed workplace

I volunteer in the gist shop in the evenings. It's pretty slow and there isn't alot to do but get to know the other volunteer you're with. Free drinks from the perking lot each shift which is nice. Friendly people and good staff.

Good place to work--fast paced, challenging.

Overall I enjoyed the job. I learned a lot and worked with some great people. Worked there for a total of 13 years. The shifts were twelve hours. I worked a combination of nights and days.

Pros

Good people. Education opportunities.

Cons

Long hours.

Fast paced

Be ready to work but very rewarding patient atmosphere. Seven days a week, varying shifts and on call. Great group of people to work with and an amazing environment.

Exiting and competitive

A lot of different duties to experience, if you're the kind of person that likes to learn every day in a fast-Paced team environment this job will fit you very well.

I loved working here. However, if youre a single income family, you wont make ebough to live in Kelowna. The cost of living is extremely high there. The job was great, they take really good care of their employees and do everything they can to help them succeed in their job. Unless you are going back to school there is no room for advancement.

I have worked here for 5 years and have never had an issue. I think it depends on your department and job and whether or not you belong to a union though

Jobs at Kelowna General Hospital

See more jobs

Some great co-workers but management could be pushy.

There was too many workplace relationships that distracted from work tasks but for the most part enjoyed working with everyone. Co-workers willing to help eachother cover shifts.

Good Work Place.

I had a Volunteer job at KGH, however it was very fun and everyone was very friendly. Blah blah blah thats all i have to say I'm just trying to get to 150 characters lol

Rehab Nursing Attendent

Fast pace, must be able to work in a team environment and independently to get your job done. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and clients, never is one day the same as the other.

Pros

Helping people recover.

Bigger health authority with high work volume and much to learn

Everyday was something new, some days were filled with trauma, others were spent doing maintenance and QC. I learnt laboratory work but also how to multi-task, work as a team and work alone, and my critical thinking has improved so much. The management was hard working, but didn't always seem to have the employees best interests in mind. The workplace culture was great. specifically in the transfusion, we always worked together as a team and helped each other out when needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was working through traumas because you always have to be working, but still efficiently. Also working on antibody investigations. I like that they are similar to puzzles.

Pros

Benefits, secure worke, enjoyable atmosphere

Cons

shorter hours, work short staffed

Great place to work. Always learning.

I’ve worked here for 20 years and I find the team work keeps me coming back! I love that people from all over the world come to work here! Sometimes it can be too much emotionally and physically , but I’ve come to enjoy working with my staff and some have even become great friends that I see outside of the workplace. Definitely a lot of bonding experiences to be had here!

Pros

All day shifts for me. 6 West is amazing (New as of 2012) Staff

Was a great, loving environment

I only volunteered at the Kelowna general hospital and it was a great place to be. I always liked to be around people and to help them as well and the hospital was just the right place for that.

Great staff, short staffed

The hospital has a lot of great staff that work well together. The hospital is often short staffed so working casual it's pretty easy to pick up shifts.

A nice and welcoming environment to be in.

My typical day volunteering at KGH has been anything but unpleasant. There are always warm smiles as you enter the building, and when I'm serving coffee or snacks, the customers and workers are so sweet and friendly. I have learned so much about just volunteering there, from people telling stories about their lives, getting to know the regular customers, and one significant thing that I definitely learned from working there was the adapting. There are certain situations where you can't change anything except be flexible. The management has been great, and very orderly. The culture at the workplace is amazing! I get to work with different people most of the time and it's a great way to open up new friendships and connections. The hardest part of the job for me is closing time. At closing time, we go down to the most detail, because the shop won't be opening until the next day or until the weekend is over. The most enjoyable part of the job is everything else! KGH is a fun place to be able to volunteer/work.

Pros

A free drink

Busy, productive environment.

I like my job and my co-workers. I am finding my commute to be too much and with today's economy the commute is not worthwhile. I have considered relocating but my family keeps me wanting to stay where I currently live.

Pros

Good place to work.

Cons

Long commute for me.

Challenging

Busy for the 12 hour shifts. 2 days, 2 nights Enjoy the challenge of working with whatever came in, lack of set routine outside the daily checks Always learning, nothing remains static in the medical field

Pros

Challenging, good benifits

Cons

Overcrowding, lack of available beds-

Steady reliable but boring

Reliable, steady work. Mostly a good team of employees. Without a residency there is absolutely no possibility of advancement leading to a boring work day. Morale is very low and staff are constantly complaining. Reasonably good pay and awesome benefits.

Pros

Short hours, reliable, consistent

Cons

Shift work, on call, boring

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kelowna General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement