Kelowna General Hospital Employee Reviews

Bigger health authority with high work volume and much to learn
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Kelowna,BC15 December 2018
Everyday was something new, some days were filled with trauma, others were spent doing maintenance and QC. I learnt laboratory work but also how to multi-task, work as a team and work alone, and my critical thinking has improved so much. The management was hard working, but didn't always seem to have the employees best interests in mind. The workplace culture was great. specifically in the transfusion, we always worked together as a team and helped each other out when needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was working through traumas because you always have to be working, but still efficiently. Also working on antibody investigations. I like that they are similar to puzzles.
Pros
Benefits, secure worke, enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
shorter hours, work short staffed
Great place to work. Always learning.
Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) (Current Employee) –  6 West15 November 2018
I’ve worked here for 20 years and I find the team work keeps me coming back! I love that people from all over the world come to work here! Sometimes it can be too much emotionally and physically , but I’ve come to enjoy working with my staff and some have even become great friends that I see outside of the workplace. Definitely a lot of bonding experiences to be had here!
Pros
All day shifts for me. 6 West is amazing (New as of 2012) Staff
Was a great, loving environment
Volunteer Services (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 October 2018
I only volunteered at the Kelowna general hospital and it was a great place to be. I always liked to be around people and to help them as well and the hospital was just the right place for that.
Great staff, short staffed
RN (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 October 2018
The hospital has a lot of great staff that work well together. The hospital is often short staffed so working casual it's pretty easy to pick up shifts.
A nice and welcoming environment to be in.
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 August 2018
My typical day volunteering at KGH has been anything but unpleasant. There are always warm smiles as you enter the building, and when I'm serving coffee or snacks, the customers and workers are so sweet and friendly. I have learned so much about just volunteering there, from people telling stories about their lives, getting to know the regular customers, and one significant thing that I definitely learned from working there was the adapting. There are certain situations where you can't change anything except be flexible. The management has been great, and very orderly. The culture at the workplace is amazing! I get to work with different people most of the time and it's a great way to open up new friendships and connections. The hardest part of the job for me is closing time. At closing time, we go down to the most detail, because the shop won't be opening until the next day or until the weekend is over. The most enjoyable part of the job is everything else! KGH is a fun place to be able to volunteer/work.
Pros
A free drink
Busy, productive environment.
Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 April 2018
I like my job and my co-workers. I am finding my commute to be too much and with today's economy the commute is not worthwhile. I have considered relocating but my family keeps me wanting to stay where I currently live.
Pros
Good place to work.
Cons
Long commute for me.
Challenging
Emergency Room Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC5 April 2018
Busy for the 12 hour shifts. 2 days, 2 nights
Enjoy the challenge of working with whatever came in, lack of set routine outside the daily checks
Always learning, nothing remains static in the medical field
Pros
Challenging, good benifits
Cons
Overcrowding, lack of available beds-
Steady reliable but boring
Grade 1 pharmacist (Current Employee) –  pharmacy22 February 2018
Reliable, steady work. Mostly a good team of employees. Without a residency there is absolutely no possibility of advancement leading to a boring work day. Morale is very low and staff are constantly complaining. Reasonably good pay and awesome benefits.
Pros
Short hours, reliable, consistent
Cons
Shift work, on call, boring
fast paced and a professional environment
GI Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 October 2017
Enjoyed working at Kelowna General Hospital due to a high professional environment. Had deadlines to meet which excited me working under pressure, as I handle this task well.
Pros
making crucial decisions on my own
Cons
no recognition for a job well done
Great people and long job length
Apprentice Plumber | Lockerbie & Hole Contracting (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 June 2017
I would start at 7 in the morning Monday to Friday and occasionally weekends or graveyard shifts. The job was physical but incorporated steady problem solving which was very enjoyable and kept the job interesting.
productive
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 June 2017
I don't get salary to volunteer but skills to build and a way to thank my community for whatever it has given me in my life and in future. It is always a new experience every day and every shift.
Loved it there
X-ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC18 May 2017
Great place to work. The lifestyle is over the top. So much to do and see outside of work. Work is fast paced, and busy. I learned a lot from working here.
OR Nurse
LPN (Former Employee) –  Operating room14 November 2016
There is always room for improvement at any place of employment.One must learn to be part of the team and work together for better working conditions I was very efficient at my job and gave good patient care
Enjoyable place to be with amazing staff.
Job Shadow (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 August 2016
A typical day at Kelowna General Hospital is walking into a comfortable environment with lot's of smiling faces. I learned that it really is hard work to finish certain jobs within a hospital but it was really worth learning because I got to be a part of an amazing group of nurses and doctors who taught me things i had never known.
Good place to work, I like my hours
Porter/Laundry worker (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC30 January 2016
A typical day at work is very busy and physical. I learn to work hard but remember to pace myself so I don't get hurt . Listen to managements requests. Listen and understand co-workers. The hardest part of my job is stopping to take my breaks cause I am on a good roll but, our breaks are there for a reason. The most enjoyable part of my job is the time goes by fast and I get a good work out.
Pros
listen to music while working
Cons
none really
Large employer with lots of different jobs
Therapist Assistant (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 November 2015
This is a great place to work compared to long-term care placements, in my opinion. I get to meet lots of new people and build relationships with co-workers.

The most satisfying part of the job is seeing a patient make it back home and the gratitude some patients express.

Typically I sign into work, grab a pager and head to my area of work. I then go over my patient list for the day and prioritize which patients to see. I also assist my overseeing therapist with any patients that may be difficult for just one person. I document who i have seen and what they did as i go along and report anything of note to the therapist.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
Unsatisfying, no room to grow, commuting, little recognition
Mdr
Medical Device Reprocessor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC7 February 2015
Busy work place. Always things to learn. Teamwork. Time goes by fast. Always work to do. Friendly atmosphere. Repetitive work. Critical thinking. Multitasking.
Ok but alot of politics
Support Services (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 January 2015
decent pay management is not very good. Your just a number to management.
Pros
pay
Cons
lack of consistency for work
One of the best places to work for.
MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 November 2014
KGH is a modern laboratory with great techs. The management and co-workers are the best health care professionals who are dedicated, hardworking, and caring health care providers.
Warm environment with great support systems
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 January 2014
Whether it be a crazily busy shift, there are always good mornings and goodnights. There is an essence of coworkers supporting coworkers which makes the tough shifts go by a little smoother and easier. Having the opportunity to make a difference in patient's (and their family's) lives is a tremendously wonderful feeling. Even when the situtaion is sad or unfortunate, just being able to do what I can is in itself evidently rewarding when my patient asks if it is ok to hug me.