Kelowna General Hospital

Kelowna General Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
fast paced, intercollaborative. Working short is something you have to get used to however the dynamic team work and individuals make every work day worth it.
Great staff and supervisors, chaotic at times, but worth every minute of it! Great pay with the ability to work quite a bit of overtime, large variety of shifts available.
I volunteer in the gist shop in the evenings. It's pretty slow and there isn't alot to do but get to know the other volunteer you're with. Free drinks from the perking lot each shift which is nice. Friendly people and good staff.
Overall I enjoyed the job. I learned a lot and worked with some great people. Worked there for a total of 13 years. The shifts were twelve hours. I worked a combination of nights and days.
Pros
Good people. Education opportunities.
Cons
Long hours.
Be ready to work but very rewarding patient atmosphere. Seven days a week, varying shifts and on call. Great group of people to work with and an amazing environment.
A lot of different duties to experience, if you're the kind of person that likes to learn every day in a fast-Paced team environment this job will fit you very well.
I loved working here. However, if youre a single income family, you wont make ebough to live in Kelowna. The cost of living is extremely high there.

The job was great, they take really good care of their employees and do everything they can to help them succeed in their job. Unless you are going back to school there is no room for advancement.
I have worked here for 5 years and have never had an issue. I think it depends on your department and job and whether or not you belong to a union though
There was too many workplace relationships that distracted from work tasks but for the most part enjoyed working with everyone. Co-workers willing to help eachother cover shifts.
I had a Volunteer job at KGH, however it was very fun and everyone was very friendly. Blah blah blah thats all i have to say I'm just trying to get to 150 characters lol
Fast pace, must be able to work in a team environment and independently to get your job done.
I enjoyed working with my co-workers and clients, never is one day the same as the other.
Pros
Helping people recover.
Everyday was something new, some days were filled with trauma, others were spent doing maintenance and QC. I learnt laboratory work but also how to multi-task, work as a team and work alone, and my critical thinking has improved so much. The management was hard working, but didn't always seem to have the employees best interests in mind. The workplace culture was great. specifically in the transfusion, we always worked together as a team and helped each other out when needed. The most enjoyable part of my job was working through traumas because you always have to be working, but still efficiently. Also working on antibody investigations. I like that they are similar to puzzles.
Pros
Benefits, secure worke, enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
shorter hours, work short staffed
I’ve worked here for 20 years and I find the team work keeps me coming back! I love that people from all over the world come to work here! Sometimes it can be too much emotionally and physically , but I’ve come to enjoy working with my staff and some have even become great friends that I see outside of the workplace. Definitely a lot of bonding experiences to be had here!
Pros
All day shifts for me. 6 West is amazing (New as of 2012) Staff
I only volunteered at the Kelowna general hospital and it was a great place to be. I always liked to be around people and to help them as well and the hospital was just the right place for that.
The hospital has a lot of great staff that work well together. The hospital is often short staffed so working casual it's pretty easy to pick up shifts.
My typical day volunteering at KGH has been anything but unpleasant. There are always warm smiles as you enter the building, and when I'm serving coffee or snacks, the customers and workers are so sweet and friendly. I have learned so much about just volunteering there, from people telling stories about their lives, getting to know the regular customers, and one significant thing that I definitely learned from working there was the adapting. There are certain situations where you can't change anything except be flexible. The management has been great, and very orderly. The culture at the workplace is amazing! I get to work with different people most of the time and it's a great way to open up new friendships and connections. The hardest part of the job for me is closing time. At closing time, we go down to the most detail, because the shop won't be opening until the next day or until the weekend is over. The most enjoyable part of the job is everything else! KGH is a fun place to be able to volunteer/work.
Pros
A free drink
I like my job and my co-workers. I am finding my commute to be too much and with today's economy the commute is not worthwhile. I have considered relocating but my family keeps me wanting to stay where I currently live.
Pros
Good place to work.
Cons
Long commute for me.
Busy for the 12 hour shifts. 2 days, 2 nights
Enjoy the challenge of working with whatever came in, lack of set routine outside the daily checks

Always learning, nothing remains static in the medical field
Pros
Challenging, good benifits
Cons
Overcrowding, lack of available beds-
Reliable, steady work. Mostly a good team of employees. Without a residency there is absolutely no possibility of advancement leading to a boring work day. Morale is very low and staff are constantly complaining. Reasonably good pay and awesome benefits.
Pros
Short hours, reliable, consistent
Cons
Shift work, on call, boring
Enjoyed working at Kelowna General Hospital due to a high professional environment. Had deadlines to meet which excited me working under pressure, as I handle this task well.
Pros
making crucial decisions on my own
Cons
no recognition for a job well done
Since this was a casual employment, I wasn't able to work as much as I'd like to. Although, this was very fast-paced and I learned a lot.
I enjoyed working with the people there and they we're very helpful when I first started.