Keewatin Air

Working at Keewatin Air: Latest Keewatin Air Reviews

Canada25 reviews

hourgoodcompanymanagementjobworkprovideplace

no consideration that human beings work for them

If you have a family emergency, they will not let you leave without your job being threatened. they often accuse workers of lying. They blame everyone but themselves instead of true problem solving. Pilots were amazing. Fellow clinical staff were great for the most part. Management was a nightmare.

Sometimes laid back buy Sometimes stressful.

Good place to work just for some aviation experience or a decent wage. It could be stressful if alot of medevacs show up on your shift, I worked overnights so I didn't have much work and it was laid back but sometimes I'd get 2,3 or even 4 planes back to back and it becomes stressful, but overall not too bad if it's overights. It was awesome of them to give me shifts depending on my school hours and I did really appreciate that, management is better than most places I'd say. But this one time there was an incident involving cleaning up a biohazard and I had no training and frankly not my job, I called my supervisor and said I'm not comfortable doing that and they said that it's your job but eventually they realized they were in the wrong.

Insights into Keewatin Air

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility

Just say no

Just say no. Not very nice people, not clear on what job descriptions and expectations they have of their staff. They also don't have a problem of getting mad a staff for not meeting expectations that aren't even explained to you in the first place. Lots of staff not happy and you hear them wanting to quit.

If you love anxiety then this is the place for you, otherwise nobody should work here.

Management here is the absolute worst. They have no idea what they are doing, but think they are the best at what they do. Be prepared to be blamed for everything that goes wrong even when you do things exactly the way they want. Always blame the workers. You don't get paid for all the work you do. You will have hours of work "clawed back". They expect you to go the extra mile all the time, but they aren't willing to do the same. Its "you should be grateful to have a job" kind of place.All you need to work here is to fog a mirror. Do yourself a favour and skip this place unless you are desperate. This place pays way below industry standard. That is why they are constantly hiring, its just a revolving door.

Pros

Outside of management, the people you work with will be true professionals.

Cons

Safety is something that gets in the way of profits.

Is it really worth it?

Long working hours 12+hrs with minimal rest (8-10hrs) between shifts in the arctic with minimal resources (ie. requires ++planning and time management), old equipment, and difficult "senior" staff to work with. Private company compromises patient care consistently and requests practitioners work well outside their scope of practice. Interesting experience, but not worth the liability for the measly pay or the authoritarian leadership style, especially when the requirement is to hold multiple registrations.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Liability to license, authoritarian leadership, unsupportive "senior" staff, minimal resources available

Arctic is great job is not

The company promises you the world and then leaves you high and dry. The scenery is amazing and you may work with one or two genuine people. Very clique orientated group of practitioners with large egos. There is very little mentoring and if they don’t like you, you will know and fail immediately. It does not matter how willing and able you are as a practitioner, if you are in the clique you won’t make it. Management is pretty much absent in the actual gritty day to day details and assigns tenured practitioners to pick and choose who gets what. You best be a favourite or you may run one long call or get bumped. If you want to get into flight, find another place.

Medical staff

Medical staff will work 20+ hours and only get paid for a 14hour day. Then you get a minimal break and are told to do it all over again. Non-unionized medical staff so management gets away with it. Going to Nunavut is a cool experience, but the job demands are awful and not worth it. There are always repercussions if you refuse to work for safety reasons - nursing managers are VERY vindictive.. they will make you work outside of your scope of practice and threaten to report you to your governing body and have your license revoked or threaten termination if you don’t comply with their demands. DONT WORK HERE.

Pros

The northern lights are pretty… medical staff and pilots are cool people.

Cons

Management sucks, wages aren’t worth the work (or your license), benefits are TRASH.

Medical staff gets screwed.

Medical staff will work 20+ hours. Only get paid for a 14 hour day. Get minimal breaks and then have to do again. Non-unionized so management gets away with it. Going to Nunavut is a cool experience. But the job demands are awful.. and their are always repercussions if you refuse to do something for safety reasons - very vindictive nursing managers.

Pros

The northern lights are pretty. And the medical staff/pilots are cool.

Cons

Management sucks. Benefits suck. Wages suck.

Amazing Staff. Amazing Management. Best job you'll ever have

Fast paced work environment, everyone is an absolute joy to work with. Management is always helpful and has your back and willing to work with you collaboratively. Hours can be long but it doesn't feel like work when you're working with people who have become your second family. Northern communities are beautiful to see and the northern health centre staff are fantastic. Highly recommend Keewatin Air LP to anyone who wants a fast paced career with awesome people and experience the north.

Pros

Cons

The cold weather

License Liability

A company that cares more about profit over patient care. Often pressure you to practice beyond your scope of practice and hint to termination if you don’t comply. They can’t retain good talent and have resorted to hiring fresh PCP and LPN grads to work critical care flights. They are also not accredited.

Pros

You work on an air ambulance and call yourself a Flight Paramedic/Nurse

Cons

You may have you license suspended for practicing beyond your scope of practice

Great place to start an Aircraft Maintenance career

Fast paced and moderately stressful but all depends on the current work load. Some days will be slow and some days will fly by. Definitely a lot of responsibility as you progress in apprenticeship levels. Benefit of working on M1 (King Air and PC/12) as well as M2 (Citation 560) aircraft, along with getting experience on P&W PT6 turboprop and JT15D turbofan engines. G1000 units in the King Air’s are user friendly and fairly easy to work on/maintain. The AME’s are helpful and knowledgeable. Opportunity to travel up north to other bases for a 1 or 2 week rotation completely paid for by the company plus per-diem pay. As a medivac and charter airline the company has good covid procedures in place to disinfect the aircraft and its equipment. Company has good benefits, is unionized and the ability to earn hourly premiums. 8.5 hour shift Monday-Friday including two paid 15 min breaks, and one unpaid 30 min break. However, would be nice to have a 1 hour break instead of 30 min. Apprentices are expected to perform ramp agent duties such as providing GPU starts to aircraft, towing planes for pilots, etc. This can be annoying and frustrating as you’re always getting pulled away from your work on the aircraft to do those duties.

Pros

Employee culture, benefits, unionized, helpful co-workers

Cons

Extensive Ramp Agent duties, Only 30 min lunch

Fun workplace

Enjoyed my time with Keewatin air The people I worked with were great we became a team and solved issues togetherMade working the long hours more bearable

Pros

Good learning experience

Cons

Long work hours back to back calls

Be Cautious

I applied for a position a couple of years ago based on what I had heard from another employee; seemed ideal, with a decent training program, work rotation (that would allow working a primary position somewhere else - if there was some flexibility in that schedule), and advanced/independent skill set.Interviewed for the position over the telephone - quite lengthy(well over an hour) and mostly time-management/case scenario questions.About 2 months later, received a job offer both via telephone and with a follow-up email. After awaiting another month, I contacted the interviewer multiple times (voicemail and email - never having the opportunity to speak with one of the managers; ANY manager). Continued this process over approximately 6 months (I believe the company had gone through some type of transition(buy out/takeover) - still no response.About a year after I abandoned attempting to contact the company, I received a very unusual email; it was clearly an email from the company inadvertently sent to me (that was actually destined for another newly hired individual in my profession), seeking follow up information (provincial practice licenses, certifications, etc).I informed the company that I had received the email inadvertently, and since it was a new person who originated the email, I thought it would be a good opportunity to ask for a little clarity in regards to my position. At that time (approximately 1 year after receiving a job offer), I was still interested in working for the company.I did receive a response, essentially acknowledging that I had informed -

Pros

None, Zero, Zilch

Cons

Absence of Any Pro's means All Cons

Not unless it is your only option.

Negative/toxic work space with angry managers who are yelling all the time. They only care about profits for there shareholders. Good employees are burnt out and expected to do more. Unreasonable expectations for little pay. For a medevac company they have no heart. They stopped giving back to the north long ago and only offer a service for profit.

Pros

Jacket.

Cons

High expectations, low pay, toxic workplace

Abusive management

Management treated employees very poorly, emotionally and verbally abusive, no gratification at all,avoid this place at all costs. They worked you very hard and always said it was never good enough, but didn't provide proper training to succeed.

Good company just a few bad apples

The company provides good training and ongoing resources. I experienced poor management and a hostile environment and no team work within departments

Pros

Pay, 12 days off a month, flight points

Cons

Janet, living remotely, long flight's

Fun company

A company that provides good competitive wages and benefits. Well rounded organization the helps employees to gain experience and have the chance to excel with their jobs

Great place !

Lovely place to work it’s definitely not an easy job but great work environment and an excellent team ! Very well organized training session. Very approachable team leads! Overall it has been a wonderful experience so far!

Abusive management

Management is abusive and manipulative. The nurse manager will happily make homophobic and sexist remarks, and she will incompetently psychoanalyze employees so she can tell them why they'll fail at Keewatin (happened to four of my coworkers in a single orientation class). You will be pushed outside your scope and comfort zone under threat of termination. Patient safety is also not the company's priority. All told, there are good reasons why the average turnover is five to six months, and why Keewatin has been reduced to hiring LPNs and PCPs for flight roles.

Very organized with training new staff! Probably one of the best training programs in the countey. Very friendly and supportive staff and great place to grow skils.

Better than most other companies

They covered everything! All flights, accommodations, nice hotels, generous per diems. It's no wonder there is so much long term staff there. Very nice clean modern hangar and good working conditions. Wish that I didn't leave, as I actually haven't found anything as good since.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Keewatin Air. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement