KAWARTHA PINE RIDGE DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

KAWARTHA PINE RIDGE DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
The interview process is lengthy, there is a written portion and a group interview portion. When you first start you work as a casual EA. You get to choose which days and hours work for you. There is always plenty of calls, I never worried about hours as a casual employee.
It is a meaningful working environment. It is encouraged to work collaboratively with others, and to be able to carry a heavy work load. Experience with children with special needs is an asset.
I thoroughly enjoyed my career as a teacher. Organization, time management, and classroom management were of utmost importance. The day consisted of working with large and small groups of students, as well as those with learning difficulties. Often, students carried a good deal of 'baggage' and needed that special TLC. I learned that to be respected, it was imperative to give respect. The workplace culture was diverse and collaborative. The hardest part of the job was ensuring that every student got the best of which I had to offer because with classroom sizes of 30, it was often difficult to touch base with every student every day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the look of pleasure and satisfaction on the faces of students when they grasped a new skill and really felt as if they had accomplished something important and satisfying. I found it very difficult to leave my career. I loved the collaboration, friendship, and camaraderie among the students, the teachers on staff and myself. I miss that aspect of my career.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the students. Long hours at home in the evenings and on weekends for lesson preparation and marking. Administration and school board are not as supportive of teachers as they once were.
My team and managers were supportive and interested in my development right from the beginning. Management were excellent communicators who took the time to get to know the team and its objectives.
Great place to work. Coworkers are great to work with, supervisors and managers don’t micromanage people. Can be a challenging environment some times but that comes with any workplace. Would recommend this employer!
No complaints. Overall the company is very good. Good pay, benefits, training low stress. I worked with the company for 12 years, started as a night Custodian and moved up to day Head Custodian. I moved to PEI is the reason for leaving.
I've had very positive experiences working with KPRDSB as an OT. The Board Office/Education Centre and all of the schools I have been at so far, have had many friendly and very helpful staff members. I hope to secure an L.T.O. and eventually full-time employment within the board.
Amazing place to work. Supportive. There is variety. Decent pay. The management in some departments like special education are amazing. A lot of team work.
I love working for KPRDSB. Great work hours, fantastic benefits and I love the children and people I work with. My daily duties are working with children aged 3-6.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at KAWARTHA PINE RIDGE DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD?
Not many opportunities for advancement especially for supply staff. The hours a fantastic but there are only so many full time positions and to get in is almost impossible unless you know someone or pure luck.
-going into classrooms, supervising students during their studies
-you learn time management, learning on your toes, problem solving

-you are mostly on your own when dealing with problem solving

-can be a very stressful environment at times

-uncertainty of a daily job

-no benefits included (pay extra monthly for it)
It is a high paced work environment. There can be stressful days but also some fun days. Not a bad place to work. Also could be better. My over-all experience with the school board in my 17 years working is like anywhere else. Things that are good and things that bring morale down.
Great day at job. Always helping out. Very busy every day with lots of work to do. Very positive workplace. Great management. Learned what time lunch would be delivered.
If you are teacher don't bother with this school board. Often have to drive long distances for little reward. You often have to deal with difficult situations in the classroom and have no authority. At many of the schools you go to the staff won't talk to you or acknowledge your existence.
Great place to work. Great job security. Great corporation. Great people. Great students. Great work hours. Great management. Great culture. Great Employer.
Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board is an enjoyable community to be a part of. As an Occasional Teacher, I have had the opportunity to work in a variety of schools, take part in workshops, and learn from fellow educators.
Pros
Wage, Summers, Evenings and Weekends off.
Cons
Behavioural Students
As a co-op student working under two separate teachers the day was spent working one-on-one with small groups of students in each class who were learning below grade level or had learning disabilities. I also did clerical work like photocopying and laminating during the times the students were out for recess or were in a lesson with their teacher. I learn so much about kids and helping them succeed. The teachers and principal were always so inclusive and tried to make sure that my time there was spent well. The hardest part of the job was either having to say goodbye or the lack of air conditioning during the summer. The pro was everything else, this was one of those jobs that I wish I could do for the rest of my life.
Pros
The students
Cons
Hot summers/ no air conditioning
This a public school board that covers a very large beautiful geographic area about 1 1/2 hours east of Toronto. This is from their website: "We are a dynamic and responsive educational community that inspires joy in learning, excellence in teaching, and the development of character. We respect the diversity and uniqueness of all learners, employees, and community members. We create pathways for success in life."
Pros
Collaborating, supporting students.
As an Educational Assistant, you are very busy and will be pulled in many directions. You will mostly be working with high need behavior while other students are left without the support that they deserve. We are often hit, kicked, punched, pinched, spat on, bit and also get our hair pulled. Most of this happens to me daily. We are certainly not paid enough for the work that they do and are often asked to give even more than what there job entails. Upper management seems to have know idea how much we do and give.
Working with children is very rewarding and as an EA you get to know children on a more personal level than the teaching staff.
Pros
Children
Cons
Physical abuse from students, high stress
Great school board. Paid very well, friendly staff. Needs more full time positions.

Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board is an overall great school board. The schools are very clean and well maintained. The staff are very friendly and staff are paid appropriate rates. If I had one con it would be that educational assistants and child and youth workers are in dire need due to the behaviours that the school board faces. Due to this, more full time or temporary part time positions should be available for staff.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at KAWARTHA PINE RIDGE DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2