KAWARTHA PINE RIDGE DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Good company to work for flexible hours, however income security poor
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON27 February 2019
-going into classrooms, supervising students during their studies
-you learn time management, learning on your toes, problem solving
-you are mostly on your own when dealing with problem solving
-can be a very stressful environment at times
-uncertainty of a daily job
-no benefits included (pay extra monthly for it)
Ups and Downs
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON1 February 2019
It is a high paced work environment. There can be stressful days but also some fun days. Not a bad place to work. Also could be better. My over-all experience with the school board in my 17 years working is like anywhere else. Things that are good and things that bring morale down.
Great Workplace
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON25 October 2018
Great day at job. Always helping out. Very busy every day with lots of work to do. Very positive workplace. Great management. Learned what time lunch would be delivered.
Not worth it
Occasional Teacher (Elementary) (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON1 October 2018
If you are teacher don't bother with this school board. Often have to drive long distances for little reward. You often have to deal with difficult situations in the classroom and have no authority. At many of the schools you go to the staff won't talk to you or acknowledge your existence.
Kprdsb
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON17 August 2018
Great place to work. Great job security. Great corporation. Great people. Great students. Great work hours. Great management. Great culture. Great Employer.
Career
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON23 April 2018
Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board is an enjoyable community to be a part of. As an Occasional Teacher, I have had the opportunity to work in a variety of schools, take part in workshops, and learn from fellow educators.
Pros
Wage, Summers, Evenings and Weekends off.
Cons
Behavioural Students
One of the Best
Coop Student (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON6 December 2017
As a co-op student working under two separate teachers the day was spent working one-on-one with small groups of students in each class who were learning below grade level or had learning disabilities. I also did clerical work like photocopying and laminating during the times the students were out for recess or were in a lesson with their teacher. I learn so much about kids and helping them succeed. The teachers and principal were always so inclusive and tried to make sure that my time there was spent well. The hardest part of the job was either having to say goodbye or the lack of air conditioning during the summer. The pro was everything else, this was one of those jobs that I wish I could do for the rest of my life.
Pros
The students
Cons
Hot summers/ no air conditioning
Public School Board
Full Time Teacher (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON28 August 2017
This a public school board that covers a very large beautiful geographic area about 1 1/2 hours east of Toronto. This is from their website: "We are a dynamic and responsive educational community that inspires joy in learning, excellence in teaching, and the development of character. We respect the diversity and uniqueness of all learners, employees, and community members. We create pathways for success in life."
Pros
Collaborating, supporting students.
Enjoyable if you enjoy children
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON21 May 2017
As an Educational Assistant, you are very busy and will be pulled in many directions. You will mostly be working with high need behavior while other students are left without the support that they deserve. We are often hit, kicked, punched, pinched, spat on, bit and also get our hair pulled. Most of this happens to me daily. We are certainly not paid enough for the work that they do and are often asked to give even more than what there job entails. Upper management seems to have know idea how much we do and give.
Working with children is very rewarding and as an EA you get to know children on a more personal level than the teaching staff.
Pros
Children
Cons
Physical abuse from students, high stress
Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON1 November 2016
Great school board. Paid very well, friendly staff. Needs more full time positions.

Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board is an overall great school board. The schools are very clean and well maintained. The staff are very friendly and staff are paid appropriate rates. If I had one con it would be that educational assistants and child and youth workers are in dire need due to the behaviours that the school board faces. Due to this, more full time or temporary part time positions should be available for staff.
the clients are fabulous and the work is very rewarding
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON13 October 2016
advancement and permanency can be difficult to attain
work hours and holidays are a definite bonus
management is somewhat out of touch with job details and the realities of the clients' needs making successes more difficult for both staff and clients
if KPR recognized the value and training CYW and support staff offer this would be a more positive and successful work and learning environment
Pros
clients/hours/holidays
Cons
lack of advancement opportunities
Educational
Casual Secretary (Former Employee) –  Northumberland & Peterborough District16 July 2015
working with students and staff on an ongoing basis. Learned that this job is not for everyone. Management are superficial....most locations the co-workers are great people. The wait to get a permanent position is ridiculous - most postings are filled prior to them being posted (management already has person in mind when the posting comes out - so most don't have a fighting chance). Knowing that at the end of the day you can go home and not take the job with you.
Pros
hours
Cons
not a 12month position
KPRDSB was an excellent employer
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Ont.1 November 2014
- arrive at school at 8:00 a.m.
- prepare the room for the day ahead
- teach JK/SK children, along with special need students in my classroom with the help of Child and Youth Worker
- teach, sing, dance and enjoy building self-esteem and life long learners
- attend professional meetings with colleagues
- supervisor and advise E.A. students
- write various kinds of reports
- represent the school as the teacher rep. for School Council
- work and plan co-operatively with my colleagues and various board supervisors
- plan for the following day
- leave around 5:00 p.m.

I have learned that the most important part of my job as a teacher was to make sure that the kids knew that I cared about them and that they could become whatever they desired in life. Knowing that you are loved, respected and have potential, no matter what obstacles we face, give not only young children hope, but others as well.

I loved my job and retired only because it wasn't financially advantageous for me to remain working.
Great work environment, gratifying.
Summer Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON19 August 2012
Driving from school to school on a daily basis, maintaining the outside appearance of the schools. Driving a company truck with 4 co-workers, making the best of the work days. Hardest part of the job would be the long difficult days. The most enjoyable part of this job would have been the consistency of the hours and flexibility.