Kawartha Dairy Limited Employee Reviews

Worst mistake of my life
Retail/Food Production (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 May 2019
This business was absolutely horrible to work with in the 7 months I was with them. Not only are you expected to drop everything for them at any time (calling to take a shift an hour before it starts, then if you say no you are ridiculed and bullied by management for the next month)
All they do is hire young teens for their SUPERVISORS which just sit in the back on their phones all the time.
Scheduled breaks aren’t a thing. Forget about trying to go to the bathroom during a lull because you’ll be screamed at by the general manager. Forget about that 30 minute break because your teen supervisors will say you only get 10 for a 9hour shift! No 15-min breaks either!
This job made me hate my life and when I was faced with a dire family emergency, I was bullied for MONTHS by the GENERAL MANAGER because I had to fly out of the province.
I also ended up having a health emergency where I needed to go to the hospital and despite having MULTIPLE doctors notes and being hooked up to a 24/7 heart monitor, the manager asked if I was lying to get out of work. Complete disregard to everyone and everything, and not a professional run business at ALL.
The only “good” thing is that you get a free treat every night after work, which I believe is to only entice kids to staying at that horrible place.
Pros
Free icecream
Cons
Long hours, No breaks, Screaming Management, Bullying, Childish Behaviour
good
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON6 February 2019
this place to work was a good place i really liked work there. there were a lot of good people that worked there. it did get really busy in the summer when i did work there and i liked that.
Working at Kawartha Dairy is a Blast
Retail Clerk and Server (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ON29 June 2018
Working at Kawartha Dairy has been fun, I have worked there for a little over a year and am always excited to get to work! The customers are always understanding and co-operative despite our long summer line ups.
Pros
Free Treats, Great Co-Workers
Cons
On-Call Shifts
Quick Pace
Ice Cream Server (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 April 2018
Got super busy over the summer especially on holidays. Taught me to act fast, work at quick speeds and to be warm and welcoming. Hardest part of the job would be to switch out the big tubs of ice cream and scooping frozen ice cream in a cone. But the most enjoyable part had to be the employees and customers.
Great place to work.
Front Counter Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bobcaygeon, ON9 April 2018
A typical day included serving customers, stocking inventory, and cleaning. There was a competent management team. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with regular customers.
Pros
Free ice cream treat with every shift.
Cons
could get very hot during summer.
a good summer job
customer service (Former Employee) –  Bobcaygeon, ON27 March 2018
Work alongside friends, very relaxed but you still have expectations. Can be busy but never very stressfull
management is overall good
prepare to have a sore arm for the first couple shifts
Work Environment Enjoyable
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ON18 March 2018
- old building with typical issues
- friendly staff
- fun environment
- sometimes understaffed for amount of customers
- management flexible with personal schedule
Pros
discount
Cons
busy in summer
great place to work
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON7 March 2018
This was a great place to work, paid the bills, if your looking for somewhere fun to work, and somewhere to enjoy showing up, this is the place to apply.
Enjoyable while still being a job
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ON7 January 2018
Kawartha Dairy is a fun place to work since all the management is extremely friendly with all the workers which puts you into a friendly environment so when the days get extremely busy it still feels like a team working together
Awful place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON30 October 2017
Management and customers are great, but other employees are not. Toxic, gossip-filled place. Employees are not allowed to miss shifts due to illness (legitimate chance of being fired if you get sick). Layoffs very common due to the seasonal nature of the product. Hours completely unpredictable (might have 30 one week and none the next). Employees commonly sent home early or have shifts cancelled if the weather is sub-optimal for ice cream purchases. Little to no training provided. All around a complete mess due to poor communication of expectations.

Lots of free ice cream. But it still isn't worth it.

I really don't recommend working here unless you are desperate, and even then I hesitate. Really not suitable except maybe as a first job in high school (most employees, including supervisors, are in this age range -- a high school student who sticks around can easily become a supervisor here, which is a solid first work experience on a resume).
Pros
Free ice cream and milk on the job, and sometimes other dairy products that can't be sold to take home, as well as store discount -- save on groceries!
Cons
Toxic culture and no job security. High stress. Employees frequently get sick.
Job Review
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minden Hills, ON3 May 2017
Kawartha Dairy wasn't a bad place to work. i enjoyed it. I did however get carpel tunnel but other than that i would definitely work there again. Its a fast pace but not as labour like.
Exciting Place
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bobcaygeon, ON18 February 2017
Great Atmosphere, people are always there to help you learn and can not beat Ice Cream.
Small town feel but you will love coming to work. Pay is ok considering
A fun summer job as a Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minden, ON2 January 2017
Part time 3 x a week as a cashier. All the staff were friendly and fun. I get to scoop ice cream for the customers and for the staff when off duty. I learned to communicate with all the costumers in a noisy environment at the front of the window of the store and inside of the store. The most enjoyment part of the job are that I was scooping out the ice cream and seeing the customers get really excited to eat it.
Great Work Environment
Quality Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Bobcaygeon, ON31 October 2016
A typical day at work I test the milk products and ice cream products that are produced. All of the people at Kawartha Dairy are great people to work with!
Like a second family
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minden, ON24 March 2016
A typical day at work included managing crew and running the store, i learned so much about administrative duties and business. The management was great and the coworkers too, they were all great friends. The hardest part of my job was making sure all employees were on task and doing their job and the most enjoyable part was having the responsibility and working with great people
Pros
Responsibility
Cons
the cold
Good
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON8 February 2016
Reasonable demands for all employees, understanding managers, fast-paced work all day, horrible delivery service in the past years, hardest part is having too few staff for the rushes early morning and noon,
Pros
Free ice cream item at end of day
Great place to work.
Retail Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 January 2016
Great place to work. Nice managers. Fast paced. You have to be very friendly and you do lots of cleaning when it's not busy and at the end of the night. Free icecream!
A good place to work with friendly family type atmosphere.
HACCP Coordinator, Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bobcaygeon, ON26 November 2014
The typical day of work was structured to complete the daily schedule of work activities. Everyone did what was required to complete the normal job activities and cooperated to meet production demands helping where needed when needed. Overall a good place to work where you could make a personal contribution to operations.
Pros
Friendly employees, friendly management, busy operation, exposure to all departments, family atmosphere
good place to work
Cashier/Wholesale Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bancroft, ON17 June 2014
good place to work
always busy in the summer
dead in the winter
taste testing ice cream was fun
Awesome workplace and tasty too!
Cash, server (Former Employee) –  Minden, ON19 April 2014
A typical work day started right when you got through the door. Tourists would line up outside windows to order the most famous ice cream up north. I would take their orders on the computer, scoop the ice cream or prepare the milkshake they wanted and handle the cash. My co workers were always so much fun to be around and we made the best out of the long days we had together. I loved how I got one free ice cream a day and it always kept me going until the end of that long hot day!
Pros
Free ice cream and tips
Cons
Busy!