Kaman's Art Shoppes, Inc

Kaman's Art Shoppes, Inc Employee Reviews

Worked my fingers to the bone for nothing.
Caricature Artist (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON4 March 2019
I worked as a Caricature Artist at Kamans at Wonderland in Ontario. The pay was miserable, like a dollar more than minimum wage. You are outdoors during the whole summer getting brutal exposure to the sun and wind.
Customers can be nice or really miserable and they will yell and scream if they feel even a little slighted by a caricature.
Management told me I wasn't allowed to draw caricatures at a friends wedding (non work day) as it was a "conflict of interest". That was it, I quit shortly thereafter.
You will never hit your sales targets, never get a bonus or commission. and the pressure to upsell is insane.
You make minimum wage and they make 40-50 on each drawing. No thanks.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no benefits, restricted washroom breaks.
Fun workplace
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON28 February 2019
Typical Day at Work
- Got to take photos of many different people; excitable children, couples, families, and friends
What I've learned
- I learned to be patient will people and how to resolve issues faster
- Great supervisors, always helped as much as they could
Workplace Culture
- Had fun with all my coworkers, never any conflicts.
- Generally a really fun and energetic work environment.
Hardest Part
- Having to deal with people that have no manners
- Standing under the heat
Most Enjoyable
- Seeing the wonder and excitement in peoples eyes as they enter the amusement park and taking the picture to solidify it
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
standing under the sun for long periods of time
Kamans Art Shoppes
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ohio, NS3 October 2018
Extremely biased company. Hired and promotes based on favourability. Pays employees poorly, commision is impossible to reach. Pay is sometimes off or not ready on pay day
Pros
WORK life balance
Cons
Upper management (head office)
Amazing place to work!
Body Art Lead (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON4 September 2018
I LOVED THIS JOB!
Such a great opportunity to meet new people and have fun on the job.
Loved the independent work environment, I love working on my own, but I also really enjoyed working beside other departments to have someone to talk to on slower days when the park wasn't overly busy.
Lots of room for advancement. You can easily move up with the company. Even though you work independently, management walks around to make sure you're doing okay, and sees how you interacted with park guests and your attitude whenever you're at work. They are always looking for leaders who take initiative and want to better the work place and make things run better.
I learned new mediums and artistic techniques, and was guided on how to improve my art. They have a newsletter shared between all the parks in North America, and sometimes you can be featured as it.
They have an excellent employee recognition program in place, and really motivates their staff to work harder.
Pros
Easy to Advance, Recognition, Friendly Co-Workers, Excellent Management Team, Fun, Competitive wages/hours
Cons
Working in all Weather Conditions, Standing Long Periods, Only Half Hour for Lunch
Fun and fast paced environment
Canada's Wonderland - Body Artist (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 June 2018
A typical day at work included doing facepaints, henna tattoos and temporary matte ink tattoos. The environment was fast paced and fun to work in. The management was kind and was very well organized in terms of scheduling shifts and assigning which artists worked at which stands. However, I do not agree for the prices for the services as they were way too expensive, especially when it came to do henna for the kids. Sometimes it was hard to hear criticism from the guests from the park who are unsatisfied with the art and during busy days such as long weekends and holidays. The best part about the job was doing the art and really letting your creativity let loose.
Cons
Working in extreme weather conditions
Great job for students to learn sales and photography
Front Gate Photographer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON3 April 2018
The management for Kaman's Art Shoppe at Canada's Wonderland is a great job for students to first start out. I've learned many skills such as sales and taking good photos in very spontaneous conditions
A treasure of a company
Regional Park Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 February 2018
I had the pleasure of working with Kaman's Art Shoppes as their first park manager in Canada's Wonderland. They made me feel like family from the start to the last day I left. Only reason I left was because of a greater income opportunity that I could not let slip. I will cherish my 3 years with Kaman's Art Shoppes forever!!
Pros
great culture, good compensation, fun environment.
Great summer job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON11 December 2017
• Worked as a sales associate selling Air Brush T-Shirts, and promoting Antique Photo sales.
• Provided great customer service answering any questions that customers had.
• Greeted customers to sale stand, and promoted sales.

At Kaman's Art Shoppes it was an ok experience as it was a student summer job. At Kaman's it was a very easy going and enjoyable job as the staff were very friendly and I was able to talk to different customers everyday. I developed my customer service skills and gained more knowledge in sales as I was a sales associate.
Pros
Great co-workers.
Photographer and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 September 2017
it's a good place to work. A lot of friendly and supportive workers. Managment is great and are really understanding with issues. Good pay and good envirnment
Overall well
Front gate photographer (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON17 June 2017
I tend to take photos and communicate with a lot of individuals. Since i am an energetic fit outgoing male this was no problem for me. i typically stand on my feet so i am used to this.
Fun workplace
Part Time Seasonal Photographer at Old Time Photo (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON19 May 2017
At Old Time Photo, we dressed up park guests in antique costumes, and took pictures of them in multiple poses to sell. I learned how to handle cash, decorate photo backgrounds, pose and capture pictures of various groups, and sell company products and packages. The management was fairly good. The workplace culture was a bit limited as Canada's Wonderland had regulations on uniforms. One of the hardest parts of the job was managing multiple groups with only 3 photo backgrounds to work with. Furthermore, it would be difficult to manage multiple groups if only 1 employee was working during a shift. Nevertheless, it was still accomplished if we were time efficient. The most enjoyable part of the job was posing and capturing photos of various different park guests. The groups ranged from friends to families dressing up and taking silly photos for memories. A fun group always made work worthwhile.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
Sometimes short hours on slow days
Fun place to work with many opportunities to move higher up
sales (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 May 2017
Improved customer service skills
Management was friendly and helpful
The hardest part would be working in all weather conditions
A good place to work with a variety of customers
The most enjoyable part of the job would be being able to make people happy through my artwork
fun workplace
Lead Hand/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON11 April 2017
great first experience in helping customers and interacting with customers, but the work place is filled with friends with one another so it is very un-professional.
Pros
Cons
friends over work
Make someone else rich
Artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2017
I worked for them for a summer doing caricature and portraits, you work at Wonderland. I got sunburns, sunstroke and heat stroke.
I was paid minimum wage and had hard targets for sales and upselling.
They charge a lot for the portraits and you make very little
I feel I was taken advantage of.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, heat, working outdoors, screaming children very low pay.
fun
Caricature Artist (Former Employee) –  Canada's Wonderland, ON1 September 2016
great co-workers :) especially if you are interested in meeting other artists and making connections/ networking this will be a great opportunity. There are some strange rules because it's a family friendly park but the managers can't control that.
Summer Job
Body Artist (Former Employee) –  Canada's Wonderland, ON2 June 2016
Longs hours standing. Pay is either mailed to you or you pick up from Wonderland office. They really need to set up direct deposit.
Best place to work.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Canada's Wonderland, Vaughn16 October 2015
Working for Kaman's Art Shoppe was my favourite job. I loved going to Canada's Wonderland and working at Old Tyme Photo. It is the most fun job I have had by far. Dressing people up as cowboys and cowgirls and seeing how much fun they were having was the greatest feeling ever. Plus I love photography so working in the field was perfect for me. Unfortunately due to moving to another city I was no longer able to travel to and from work as easily.
Pros
Always a fun experience
Cons
Working in a tent outside in the middle of summer was not fun at times.
Fun co-workers and great customer experience
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vaughan25 March 2015
you build close relationships with your co-workers and get to positively interact with customers. Supervisor is very biased and doesn't give co-workers equal working hours.
Pros
Cheap lunches.
Cons
Not enough hours, working under various weather conditions
Interactive workplace
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Maple, ON2 July 2014
Cooperative co-workers willing to work together to increase sales and profit. Adapted people skills with this job
Great Summer Job for photographers
Antique Photographer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 February 2014
Great Summer Job for photographers gives you some practice and lots of subjects to shoot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kaman's Art Shoppes, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

Kaman's Art Shoppes, Inc Reviews by Location