Kal Tire Employee Reviews

Very family orientated company
Fleet Sales & Wholesale Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 May 2018
I started as a Fleet sales Consultant for my first year. Management approached me with a new corporate idea for a new wholesale division. I built the Vancouver market for the next 5 years & Kal Tire then acquired an existing wholesale company to move into other markets in Canada. My typical workday was spent cold calling & setting up new accounts. Kal Tire management used my ideas to increase my sales from $0.00 first month to $1.3 million in 2017.
Pros
Freedom to try new ideas to increase sales
Cons
My sales exceeded the delivery schedule
great
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON11 May 2018
fun loving caring great team

was sad to leave

great place to get tires done

would have loved to stay with this company
happy happy happy happy happy
great place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 May 2018
Kal Tire provides a fantastic environment with many different avenues for advancement. Everyday is a new challenge .
Family owned since the late fifties there training programs are some of the best out there.
great team enviroment
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 May 2018
while working at kal tire was a great experience and for some one looking to get their foot in the door of mechanics is a great place to start they will help you along the way and have many great benefits to working with them.
Pros
great people
Cons
long winter hours
Your basically giving your life away so don’t do it
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC2 May 2018
Long hours no overtime pay after 8 hours which is required they try to reduce cost and increase profit at any extent ex. Hiring employees without experience and just letting them roll it’s dangerous as will for those kids they don’t even know what there doing the basically run in there with there heads cut off by the management because of all these empty promises they have monthly staff meetings that suck 3 hours each month wasted on management trying to see if the employee have a magical idea to see if they can make more money
Benefits
Cons
Long hours bad management lack of communication and no care
It sucks here
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB22 April 2018
Had me working their for only my 3 months in the busy season did everything they asked the stabbed me in the back and got rid of me, I wouldn't recommend being here cause they will just use you for your 3 months and then fire you, I felt bullied and harassed by management
Pros
Pay was alright and some workers were nice
Cons
They dont care about you
Great place
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB2 April 2018
Good place for the physically driven people. Managment and employees all made that place enjoyable to work at, lots of room for advancement. With the option of relocating all over Canada
Pros
great place
Cons
low pay
Very hard working people who take their job seriously but know how to joke around
Helper (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC31 March 2018
Very good job especially for me at the time (was 16.) Theyre big on safety and customer satisfaction. however they're very nice and funny people! some days can be very slow or very busy depending on the season.
Pros
monthly partners meetings. music
Cons
can get mentally draining
I felt like Kal Tire was a very good company to work for.
Lead Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB31 March 2018
A typical day at Kal Tire is clock in , grab a work order off the board, go get the vehicle , do the inspection on it, change, repair or rotate tires or whatever the work order calls for. I learned how to run the service truck, work safely, and meet people from all over.
I overall liked it.
empty promises
First Year Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2018
will promise amazing things, will give only slave labor. employees laid-off regularly due to inability to management's inability to sell jobs. if you are hired, have their promises in WRITING!!!!
na
FRONT SHOP MANAGER (Former Employee) –  winnipeg9 March 2018
no control of work thieft and constant negative talk from all staff even management. long unpaid hours not much upside to the work put in but pays higher than fountain tire
Pros
discount on work
Cons
unpaid long hours
If I could give no stars I would
Tire Technician (certified) (Former Employee) –  London, ON8 March 2018
I've worked for Kal on and off for almost 10 years.
They look great on the outside but everything and I mean everything is screwed up on the in!
No communication between management and workers. Management is a joke! ZERO tire experience from management but they know it all!
Bring my car in for repairs and extra labour and unnecessary parts thrown on!
They promise the world and deliver nothing. Your work load is piled on you with no help, no instruction, no appreciation, and expect it to be done yesterday.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND WORKING HERE OR GETTING YOUR VEHICLE SERVICED HERE!
AGAIN I AM A VET HERE FOR ALMOST 10+ YEARS AMD NOTHIMG CHANGES JUST GETS WORSE!
Cons
high turn over rates & cut hours
Sales and Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2018
I was at Kal Tire and my ambition was to start as a tire technician and enroll through their apprenticeship program.

The Good
:Tire guys were fun to work with
:you learn alot from the journeyman mechanics
:free meal at partners meetings

The Bad
:high turnover rates so expect to see alot of new faces
:The company hires ANYONE so expect to see unskilled temp workers
:alot of miscommunication between front counter staff and technicians
:Unrealistic expectations [Setting you up failure]
:in the winter you'll work 60plus hours a week and after the rush youll be lucky to get 20hrs week
:many fake promises by management for advancement
:only one half hour break for a 10 hr day, not paid minimum 3hrs for mandatory store meetings [This Company breaks labour laws]
:no clear direction and or training, one tech will say one way to do things and another tech will say another

Overall my experience was poor... When I started many of the senior techs had left and only after a month and a half I ended training new hires for winter rush. Management ignored my suggestions for efficient work and refused to sign my blue book. the final straw was when my hours were cut to 20hrs a week. In my interview I was told 40hrs a week all year round.

If your intention is to pursue mechanics then start here and get experience then move on to bigger and better opportunities. This company only cares about its management and not its technicians.
Productive workplace that values employees
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK6 March 2018
It's a nice place to work. The management and their policies are employee friendly.
The most enjoyable part of my job is my team members and our managers.. They are super nice.
mans environment
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2018
some great co-workers, some managers were very friendly and enjoyable to work with.
big staff turn-over, not very female friendly
the most enjoyable part of my job was getting to run my department and do administration
Good company not so good management
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC27 February 2018
Its a great company. Great benefits. Its hard to work here especially this location. They expect you to be pro. Supposed to be theres a training vids for new hires but thes none. The lead tire tech there has some problem issues, same with the old guy.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, no proper training
need to know tires real well
Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC24 February 2018
great guys in the shop to work with , but if you don't know tires don't apply , management worries about store profit a lot and some store only take customers bt appointment only, hourly shop rate is hig 120.00 hr , and oil change is over 60.00 (inspection included)
Pros
staff and pay
Cons
need ti be a tire guro
good team building
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC19 February 2018
was a good team build environment, great training programs, easy for hard worker to work there way up the corp. ladder. not enough pay for the area and to many long hours for the pay 16h+ days
Difficult place to work
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 February 2018
They suck you in with the idea that you will one day be a manager and make crazy amounts of money. Reality is you end up doing all the dirty work and never move anywhere.
Pros
Big Company
Cons
No advancement.
Poor Leadership
Career Tracker (Current Employee) –  Ontario11 February 2018
58 work week every other work week plus 8 hr Saturdays, plus before work and after work meetings. No lunch break most days.
Some management in trouble
Pros
good deal on tires
Cons
WAY too many hours and very poor leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kal Tire. Our community is ready to answer.