Just for laughs

Just for laughs Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews
Working here is really fun ! Had a blast working directly at the JFL festival and got to meet a bunch of celebrities. Sometimes the long hours would be intense but that's the events and festival life for you.
Pros
Working outdoors, meeting people, attending shows
Cons
Long hours, stressful during festival season
Muy buen trato y trabajas con un equipo excelente. Trabajo con muy buenas condidiones salariales.
Great people. Severely disorganized from the top down which makes for a challenging work life. Culture is that you live for the company, especially during festival season. No overtime pay or remuneration/benefits, but heavily insinuated that you are not a team player if you don't stay. There is much room for improvement. More staff/better pay. The company has changed hands and I expect they are still working out the kinks.
But again, the people are great. They company structure, not so much.
Pros
Nice people, free shows
Cons
Too exhausted from long hours to enjoy the shows. Poor pay.
they need to pay attention to all levels of your company. hold yourself accountable for the work/life balance of your staff. if you cant afford to pay people for the hours they work, re-evaluate the budget and allocate money accordingly.

upper management have no idea how underpaid their part time staff is. contract workers get paid weekly based on 40 hours and often you work closer to 70 hours a week, There is no overtime and No staff appreciation, The building is incredibly old and part time staff are given small dirty desks in cramped work areas with zero privacy, Company does not invest in its staff which results in high turnover, Management does not respect the opinions or experience of its staff which keeps the staff at the same level for years, full time staff talk a lot behind others backs which puts people in awkward positions and leads to a toxic work environment
Pros
they hire fun part time staff so you work alongside fun people
Cons
underpaid, overworked, no understanding of work/life balance, toxic environment, management clueless
I adored working for Just For Laughs, and I wish i were able to do what I did permanently with them, except I only did festival work. Amazing people, awesome comedians, tons of free shows.
I had a great time working with just for laughs. They taught me how to multi-task, not crack under presure and be responsible.
I would arrive to the hotel then check the schedule then meet the comedians that were staying at the hotel then make sure the comedians had everything they wanted then I would make sure that the comedians got the transportation they needed and they know what to do and their schedules.

My manager was so nice to me and she taugh me a lot about the work.

The hardest thing I had to do was multitask, I had many resposibilites as a volunteer and I needed MY a game.

I enjoyed every second and would definetly do it agian.
When you gather a bunch of PR rockstars together, it's a recipe for success. It was the most enriching job I've ever done. Long hours, yes, but it is so worth it.
Pros
the experience
fun work environment
ideal part time job

get to go to events for free if theres space left

great team

constantly changing roles and tasks which keeps things interesting
From the time meetings started, to the time we started promotional work to the festival itself and the follow up office work; Just For Laughs was one of the most enriching experiences I've had. Everyone I worked with was hard working and industrious and always up for challenges which kept us on our toes. The hardest part of this job was how short of a contract it was.
Working at Just for Laughs was a lot of fun, even if it was only for a one-festival contract.

Everyone is very helpful and everyone works very hard to make sure this large festival goes off without a hitch.

The hours are very long (almost 24/7 for a month) but that is normal for a lot of festivals of this size. Also, the pay is low, but I still think the experience was worth it!
Pros
meeting celebrities, free shows, fun atmosphere
Cons
working almost 24/7 for a month, pay is very low
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Just for laughs?
You would think an iconic festival like Just for Laughs would be profitable but they struggle, even with government funding. You can't even get the graphic department to print something for you without paying them because it would go onto their costs and departments fight to keep costs down. The person who hired me was not getting paid, I was not getting paid and I was recruiting volunteers for events (not paid).
I stopped going when they didn't have any work for me besides shuffling magic cards. They had too many interns and I was not up to fight for jobs when I don't learn anything or get paid.

They do give out free tickets to shows here and there on a first come first serve basis to employees. If you are planning on doing an internship there, make sure you grab responsibilities whenever you can and make sure whoever is hiring you does not have 5 interns and is going to actually teach you.
Pros
Free tickets to shows
Cons
No one getting paid
Fast-paced and challenging work. Work-life balance is a real challenge during Festival period. Expect to work many more hours than the standard work week and deal with challenging pressures and deadlines
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Just for laughs. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2