Journeys Employee Reviews

Avoid At All Costs
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 September 2018
Journeys was quite possibly one of the worst job experiences for me. It was a job for me to have while I searched for a career job (there is almost no room for advancement at Journeys).

One of the biggest reasons this job was so horrible was the terribly trained managers and the brutal management who did nothing to ever resolve situations at the store. Some of the people I worked with were friendly and outgoing which made working a little bit easier to handle.

Expect to only make minimum wage with no benefits and although the managers will tell you you get commission off accessories you sell the district managers will tell you otherwise. Also you don't receive any benefits.

You have to hit your daily goals at Journeys which include shoe sales, multiple shoes, accessories and socks. The goals are obtainable but really high considering some days are incredibly slow making those goals almost impossible. Why are the goals so high when the employees are only making $14/hr?

While I was there I ran into constant problems including:
-Drama caused by the managers who tried to enforce rules made up on their own terms
-The manager was reported to HR many times by many fellow employees and HR did nothing but let the manager know they were reported which just made the manager want to get the employee who reported them fired
-The managers I worked with were told to try to get certain employees fired by district managers which is absolutely ridiculous
-Constant privacy violations including but not limited to managers looking through employee phones placed in the back room,
  more... managers taking pictures of employees on the job without consent, being told to change clothing because showing your belly button is considered inappropriate
-A district manager came to take over the store resulting in every employees hours dropping significantly and all key-holders becoming demoted. (Because clearly the district managers aren't making enough money and have to take the minimum wage employees hours right?)
-Managers would talk behind employees backs to other employees (I've had the managers tell me how they want a reason to fire employees I work with)
-Seasonal workers were hired on and told they were part time and didn't need to look for another job but then all of a sudden when the season was over they were laid off and told they were only seasonal

I can go on forever with reasons why I'd suggest you don't work at Journeys especially since most employees there are always looking to get out but need another job first.

Eventually my job at Journeys came to an end (one of the better things that happened at Journeys) when the store failed it's third audit since I've worked there. I was written up three times because the store failed an audit. Essentially I was fired because someone else might have been misplacing/stealing products which is obviously out of my control since I did nothing but be a great worker there.

The only plus to this job is making some side money $14/hr that's it. No benefits, no room for advancement, terrible pay and ignorant management. Any other minimum wage paying job is a much better option.
Pros
Friendly Fellow Employees
Cons
Inconsistency, Terrible Management, Dramatic Workplace, No Benefits, Low Pay
Family Enviroment
General Retail (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON1 September 2018
Always had a good shift, even on my rough days I was always looking forward to going to work. They're like my family, they understood that life gets busy, but they also made it clean that this is still your job and it needs to be treated like so.
Tools for growing in a company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 July 2018
Journeys gave many opportunities to grow within their company, I moved from part time to store manager very quickly. I was given many tools to do the best that I could do with my job.
Pros
work with great people
Great Company To Work For
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC28 June 2018
Your hard work is always acknowledged and there is always a way to advance yourself in the company.Its a great place to work, and they believe in work life balance.
Fun, but compensation is weak
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 June 2018
Chill people and environment, but it always seems like my job is on the line because of the aggressive selling behaviors that you have to execute flawlessly. Otherwise, you earn yourself a write up. Sometimes I feel like I'm compromising my identity just to make 4% commission. They talk up how you make commission, but at the end of the day the money you make turns out to be less than minimum wage because of the long hours. You make a lot of money during the back to school season and during Christmas, otherwise 9 out of 12 months are extremely slow.

Also, you have to make sure your employees make their sales goals, but it takes away from your paycheck because you won't get the sale. Either way, you find yourself in the deep end for not making your sales goals or for your employees not making their sales goals.

Scheduling is flexible, but if you want to make good money you have to work overtime. Thus, sacrificing time with your friends and family and putting a ceiling on your personal goals and dreams.

The district manager is a really great guy though.
Pros
Fun and chill environment
Cons
Honestly everything else
A fun work place with excellent experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB6 June 2018
Working here allowed me to gain valuable experience working with customers and how to pitch sales. I learned the meaning of team work and hardworking. I was able to put my initiation skills to work here.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Disorganized
A Welcoming Workplace Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 June 2018
Throughout my time at Journeys, I had a very supportive group of colleagues and flexible hours surrounding my availability. I would highly recommend working here.
retail
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 April 2018
selling shoes, those who enjoy making commission and thrive at sales will excel in this work environment. Having sales goals to beat it can get competitive between associates. Management at the location i worked was unfortunately not the greatest. They played favourites and didn't really pay attention to other associates.
Pros
discount on shoes, commission
Cons
poor management, sometimes didn't get breaks, and competitive atmosphere
fun place to work at
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 March 2018
Great place to work, friendly co-workers. Management is not the best, I learned and figured out most things on my own by watching the other workers. I learned how to pitch the items, work a cash register. Hardest part of the job would be selling shirts,backpacks,socks as nobody really ever wanted to buy them. The most enjoyable part of working for journeys was my co-workers.
Pros
40% off all items in store
Cons
mostly only Scheduled on mondays
Great job however horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 March 2018
Like any retail company journeys is a place where you can showcase your people skills and basically enjoy human interaction on a day to day basis, its full of unexpected customers which adds a bit of spice to your day. All around great place however horrible management.
Pros
Friendly Staff, Good hours, Great pay
Cons
Childish management
Terrible
Part time (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 March 2018
managers didn't have a clue on what to do. whole establishment was disorganized. employees were disrespectful and would purposely steal sales for commission
Pros
discount, commission
Cons
manager
It was a great experience
DISTRICT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC10 March 2018
It was a great experience that I am glad I had the oppurtunity to do !!I learned to so many skill sets that are posted on my resume. There was no life in this company as I work 60 to 80 hrs a week. Travelled everyday. Best thing about it was training managers and see them have success !!
Unstable and unpredictable job with no sense of security. Ridiculous expectations and sales goals.
Co Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada7 March 2018
On the surface Journeys seems like a good place to work. The staff is friendly and the store has a cool atmosphere. There's shoes for babies, toddlers and adults in so many colors and styles. They're always playing music you know along with music videos on their TVs. Seems like the coolest place to work? Wrong. I was hired as a Co Manager at Journeys even though I had never worked there before. I was excited and hopeful when they told me I would be salaried as well as get commision. I quickly realized that "salary" meant a base pay. My base pay was less than what people typically make for a 40 hour work week on minimum wage. If I made my sales goals for the week, my commision on top of my base pay was EXACTLY equivalent to what I would make if got paid minimum wage for a 40 hour work week. This would be okay if I wasn't the assistant manager. I was expected to do three times as much as my part time staff but got paid exactly the same??? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Higher up management is extremely nit picky. You could do 10 things right and they will find 20 things wrong. Each month you get rated on your performance and if you don't make you sales or SOPS (socks, accessories, etc.) 3 months in a row you're terminated. Very stressful environment to work in especially if you're having difficulty meeting sales goals due to factors outside of your control such as traffic and people genuinely not wanting to buy add ons.
Pros
Relaxed dress code, individuality encouraged, 40% off everything in store
Cons
Outrageous and unrealistic expectations and sales goals, got paid minimum wage as an assistant manager
Not great for part time, but good environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2018
I work with some amazing, supportive people at Journey's. We have fun, support each other, and help each other to succeed regularly.
The only issue I have is lack of part time hours. I know it is tough to provide everyone with desired hours, but there are a lot of employees on payroll so I only get one, maybe 2, 4 hour shifts per week. Depending on a person's needs, this might be ok, but unfortunately does not work for me.
The selling requirements are also a little high stress and forceful for me, but to some could be just fine.
Working at Journeys
Key holder (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON24 February 2018
Fun place to work. Culture is great, vary fun. they give you goals to work towards through the day so you are pushed to reach that with gives you some motivation.
Pros
high traffic
Cons
not enough hours
Fun, positive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, .29 January 2018
Hands down my favourite job that I have ever worked. The management was all extremely helpful and positive towards their staff members. One day a week I always helped out with the reception of stock and the management made sure it was run smoothly and efficiently.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Mall hours
journeys
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 January 2018
theyre simple, you gets min. wage and something commission, i dont remember. cool people, but they never give you the hours you need. job security is easy, theyll kep you there as long as you reach the sales goals everyday
Used to love it until management changed
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON16 January 2018
no longer a fun work environment. Instead of advancing it feels as if the opposite is happening. I used to be excited for work but now i am just excited to go home every time i work.
Horrible work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 December 2017
Worked for the company for about a year and even moved up. All they care about is if your numbers are good. They find reasons to remove you from the company. Management was terrible since it was changing every 3 months or so. Would not recommend working here if you're looking for long term.
Cons
Nice place to work with horrible pay
SALES LEAD (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2017
A typical day at work would normally be pretty easy for part timers, but more management it's almost constant stress. you're expected to do so much more than what you're getting paid for. all key holders/ sales leads are paid minimum wage, and the managers are commission based, and if they don't make enough with commission they're paid minimum wage too. this company pays their employees terribly. but it is a fun environment to work in if you're doing your job right.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Journeys. Our community is ready to answer.