Journeys Employee Reviews

Found 99 reviews matching the search See all 2,763 reviews
Its a retail job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 March 2019
The job overall is what you would expect working retail. The 4 on the floor concept does not work and I'm sure pretty much everyone in the company would agree. 4 boxes of shoes, 2-4 pairs of socks and cleaning spray or kit. For ONE customer. Besides that the staff are great and all have a unique personality to them, we never fail to have fun during a shift. Everyone is on point with tasks and always have the store looking presentable.
Pros
40% off everything
Cons
4 on the floor.
Sales Associate
SALES REPRESENTIVE (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON11 March 2019
I helped customers with foot measurements and helped find them the perfect pair of shoes, and at the end of a sale I would cash them out. Tasks that were given were to spring clean or winter clean and to unload shipment when we had shipment days.
Pros
Free food at meetings
Cons
short hours
Good Part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 March 2019
Coworkers were friendly and helped out one another. An inclusive environment that encouraged teamwork. Fun atmosphere to work in, however was a very slow pace.
Down to earth company
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  North York, ON1 March 2019
A day on the job hard to describe because no day is like the last. One day it could be really busy and others not so much i didn't learn much, i knew most of it but i did learn how to engage customers more effectively. The management wasn't the best but my no means was it bad
Pros
cool environment
Cons
couldn't wear specific brands
Very unprofessional
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2019
I was hired last year and they gave me a hard time every shift. While they were on shift they gossip about other stores and make fun of customers behind their backs. Theyre very caddy and they were not nice or welcoming. On my last shift they left all the shoes for me to put away and were mean the whole day. At the end of the shift they told me "it wasnt working out" and I told them I was thinking about quiting anyways ans that if they really wanted to be good managers that they would do a better job of making new employees feel welcomed. It was a horrible experience and I would for sure never try and apply again or shop there either.
Pros
Shoes
Cons
Rude staff
You do you (:
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 February 2019
Yeah, I would just recommend for you to do you and try to meet company standards!

four to the floor
three socks on top of the four shoes you're bringing then you bring out shoe cleaner!!!!

it's amazing you get to bring out like 9+ items for customers and have them say Naw nvm...
Pros
40% off everything.
Cons
Everything.
Fun nice ambiance workplace with cool co workers and managers
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guildford, BC31 January 2019
Journeys was a fun retail to work at as I had a passion for shoes and staff there were outgoing and easy to talk to. I learned the 6 steps of retail, and it genuinely helped me improved on my social and customer service skills. Typical day of work included making sales to the daily goal (which I achieved), stocking, cleaning and eating food. The hardest part of the job for me would've been balancing on 8 foot ladders while scavenging to find heavy box of Timberlands. My favorite part of working there would definitely be the people there and the chill vibes you get.
Pros
store discount, easy hours
Cons
scheduling with management
Good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 January 2019
I learned to use the cashier, the management was good and the workplace culture was different then most jobs. The hardest part of the job was locating the shoes in the back they are not all organized. the most enjoyable part of the job was greeting people and talking with them to make sales.
Pros
lunches were quite long
Cons
it was busy and fast paced
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2019
Journeys is a positive fun filled environment and I definitely enjoying working here. At times management can be difficult and not the best, but overall it has provided me with great skills.
fun
Cashier/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON18 January 2019
great place to work if youre into that scene fun loving people that work there alswsyas on the go long days standing around and great sales. Wonderfull

Want to know more about Journeys?

Ask a question
Not very professional
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 January 2019
As a first job you get to experience quite a bit, relaxed environment but not much guidance. Wages are minimum but the people you meet there can make it a great experience.
Pros
Good first job
Cons
Not a great place to advance
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 November 2018
During the holidays the store was very busy, however, the store hired a lot of workers who were determined in provided excellent customer service to customers. Moreover, the management was outstanding.
Fun place to work...if your out front
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Willowbrook, BC24 October 2018
I was hired at Journey's as a Sales Associate before the holiday hiring began so my job was safe as a part time worker working 3 days a week 4-5 hours a day and more at Christmas. However after a month I was tasked with inventory intake and stocking the storage room, not a bad job only took 4 hours to finish which was fine 1 day a week as deliveries where only once a week. However that quickly became my only job both just before and after the Christmas season. It quickly became a dull boring depressing job which didnt help my already existing problems with depression as the aisles where cramped with barely any space to turn and solid grey cold windowless concrete made up the floors and walls. If your up front of the store interacting with customers talking with the staff and making sales (and dancing with the music) it's a fun interactive friendly environment.
Pros
40% off all shoes in store, awesome staff
Cons
Slow boring days
Avoid At All Costs
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 September 2018
Journeys was quite possibly one of the worst job experiences for me. It was a job for me to have while I searched for a career job (there is almost no room for advancement at Journeys).

One of the biggest reasons this job was so horrible was the terribly trained managers and the brutal management who did nothing to ever resolve situations at the store. Some of the people I worked with were friendly and outgoing which made working a little bit easier to handle.

Expect to only make minimum wage with no benefits and although the managers will tell you you get commission off accessories you sell the district managers will tell you otherwise. Also you don't receive any benefits.

You have to hit your daily goals at Journeys which include shoe sales, multiple shoes, accessories and socks. The goals are obtainable but really high considering some days are incredibly slow making those goals almost impossible. Why are the goals so high when the employees are only making $14/hr?

While I was there I ran into constant problems including:
-Drama caused by the managers who tried to enforce rules made up on their own terms
-The manager was reported to HR many times by many fellow employees and HR did nothing but let the manager know they were reported which just made the manager want to get the employee who reported them fired
-The managers I worked with were told to try to get certain employees fired by district managers which is absolutely ridiculous
-Constant privacy violations including but not limited to managers looking through employee phones placed in the back room,
  more... managers taking pictures of employees on the job without consent, being told to change clothing because showing your belly button is considered inappropriate
-A district manager came to take over the store resulting in every employees hours dropping significantly and all key-holders becoming demoted. (Because clearly the district managers aren't making enough money and have to take the minimum wage employees hours right?)
-Managers would talk behind employees backs to other employees (I've had the managers tell me how they want a reason to fire employees I work with)
-Seasonal workers were hired on and told they were part time and didn't need to look for another job but then all of a sudden when the season was over they were laid off and told they were only seasonal

I can go on forever with reasons why I'd suggest you don't work at Journeys especially since most employees there are always looking to get out but need another job first.

Eventually my job at Journeys came to an end (one of the better things that happened at Journeys) when the store failed it's third audit since I've worked there. I was written up three times because the store failed an audit. Essentially I was fired because someone else might have been misplacing/stealing products which is obviously out of my control since I did nothing but be a great worker there.

The only plus to this job is making some side money $14/hr that's it. No benefits, no room for advancement, terrible pay and ignorant management. Any other minimum wage paying job is a much better option.
Pros
Friendly Fellow Employees
Cons
Inconsistency, Terrible Management, Dramatic Workplace, No Benefits, Low Pay
Family Enviroment
General Retail (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON1 September 2018
Always had a good shift, even on my rough days I was always looking forward to going to work. They're like my family, they understood that life gets busy, but they also made it clean that this is still your job and it needs to be treated like so.
Fun place to work
Sales (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON12 July 2018
The place functions well as a place of employment. After working for a few months it is very clear they have a fantastic culture, with the only drawbacks being Keeping up on SOP's. SOP's are a fantasy to keep up to standard.
Pros
awesome managers
Cons
SOP's
Tools for growing in a company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 July 2018
Journeys gave many opportunities to grow within their company, I moved from part time to store manager very quickly. I was given many tools to do the best that I could do with my job.
Pros
work with great people
Great Company To Work For
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC28 June 2018
Your hard work is always acknowledged and there is always a way to advance yourself in the company.Its a great place to work, and they believe in work life balance.
Fun, but compensation is weak
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 June 2018
Chill people and environment, but it always seems like my job is on the line because of the aggressive selling behaviors that you have to execute flawlessly. Otherwise, you earn yourself a write up. Sometimes I feel like I'm compromising my identity just to make 4% commission. They talk up how you make commission, but at the end of the day the money you make turns out to be less than minimum wage because of the long hours. You make a lot of money during the back to school season and during Christmas, otherwise 9 out of 12 months are extremely slow.

Also, you have to make sure your employees make their sales goals, but it takes away from your paycheck because you won't get the sale. Either way, you find yourself in the deep end for not making your sales goals or for your employees not making their sales goals.

Scheduling is flexible, but if you want to make good money you have to work overtime. Thus, sacrificing time with your friends and family and putting a ceiling on your personal goals and dreams.

The district manager is a really great guy though.
Pros
Fun and chill environment
Cons
Honestly everything else
A fun work place with excellent experience
Part-time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB6 June 2018
Working here allowed me to gain valuable experience working with customers and how to pitch sales. I learned the meaning of team work and hardworking. I was able to put my initiation skills to work here.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Disorganized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Journeys. Our community is ready to answer.