Johnston Equipment Employee Reviews

Be Weary before applying
parts (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2019
Be weary before applying for this job, as company wants a individual to do the job of 2 or 3 people, the pay is really low for what they want you to do, and seems like you never feel like you've done enough, you are required once your up to snuff to take care of all technician needs which there is over 15 of them and they want to add more but nothing done for support at bottom plus take care of all shipping and receiving plus rentals and plus plus plus, the techs were awesome to deal with but managenent kind of strange ,they say they give you about a year to learn their ridiculous computer system but if your not up to par within 2 months they start asking why.
Pros
Good vibe from company when starting.
Cons
low pay for what is demanded from employee.your asked to do the job of 2 or 3 people
Excellent Company with Strong Market Cap & Focus on Employee Retention
Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 May 2019
My best experience with a Canadian company to date. I was brought on to add fresh energy to a young project management group. My co-workers are extremely supportive and friendly. The upper management approached me within the first week and made me feel welcome. The most exciting part of my job is learning about the materials handling industry. The company is willing to invest in my training and teach me about their business/products.
Pros
Stability, Mentorship, Career Advancement
Positive experience at GN Johnston Equipment
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 May 2019
I would recommend Johnston Equipment :

*Development opportunities for employees and technicians
*Company with great health benefits
*Employer-matching contribution Pension plan
*Collaborative approach with management
*Family-like culture at branch level
*Company offers and promotes programs such as Healthy Bodies & Educational Assistance for employees wishing to further their education and/or knowledge
*Referral bonus program
Pros
Bbq's, free tea/coffee, casual Fridays (jean day)
Cons
In my case, location far from my house.
Stressful workplace
National Account Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 March 2019
Unqualified supervisor who practiced favouritism and deliberately impeding employee's productivity
Hostile work environment
No proper training
No place for advancement
Negative office gossips
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No proper training, hostile work culture
Poor management
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 January 2019
Poor Management. No advancement, no growth.
Long hours of working, no appreciation and recognition from Management.
Management does not allow you to grow.
Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 December 2018
Lots of rules and regulations constantly changing, no room for advancement. Management is good, good co-workers as well, Canada wide company so pretty stable.
Inside Sales Team oustanding
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 December 2018
Great company and perks. Manager is very supportive. Inside team is like a family and work together to achieve targets.

Work life balance is great!
Pros
Team
Cons
Inside sales room
Very relaxed an professianl
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 November 2018
Erecting steel shelves for company's like Safeway an many others sometimes we would travel to other city's an work for weeks great people an place to work
Pros
Had family along side me
Cons
No cons
Great group of people to work with. Unfortunately not enough work to fill a fulltime position.
Dock and Door Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 November 2018
As a road service technician on a typical day your scheduled work or on call service work is communicated by cell phone or tablet. You drive to client sites to preform scheduled preventative maintenance or on call repairs. I was able to complete the scheduled work for the month by the first week of that month, leaving plenty of time for repair calls, if they come in.
Pros
Independent work environment
Cons
Not enough work to fill a full time position
Management doesn't have a clue
Road Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 October 2018
Micro manage is all they do. No one cares about customers or the technicians. End of the day just about the dollar signs. Service department management has never seen a forklift, let alone understanding what it takes to repair. Manager has said numerous times he could train a monkey to be a technician. Will be lots of openings soon as guys continue to leave.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, management management
Great benefits, really bad management
In house tech (Former Employee) –  Ottawa14 October 2018
This is a great paying job, they supply van with gas ,most tools and give a good tool allowance including work boots and all PPE, coats and coveralls
You get bonus on any maintenance contracts, and rentals, any sales on lifts or equipment.
They allow quite liberal use of company Vans including personal use on weekends.
I see the techs every day with kids in Van go to school morning and afternoon
You won’t get this carte blanche for personal van use at any other lift company.,and without paying taxes!
Those techs must have some work share hours to be able to spend so much 8-4:30 time driving their kids. Company is gracious to allow that because they know each move the tech makes with GPS in Van and company cell phone app.
They supply an iPad and cell phone and allow modifications to vans, like huge speakers to blast music while streaming you-tube videos.
They have a ton of directives,, rules and regulations but rarely ever enforce rules
If it wasn’t for the management, it would be 5 Star.
Pros
Great overtime pay, pension benefits, free van, cell and iPad, easy work
Cons
Really bad management, no protection from harassment
It's a pay check and nothing else
Road Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 September 2018
Zero training, lack of tools and equipment, impossible expectations . Go work somewhere else , believe the reviews. Lack of respect bordering on abuse
Hostile and Unsafe
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2018
A very hostile environment with extremely unattainable numbers and goals set by senior management.

Pros
Being on the road means getting away from management
Hostile and
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 September 2018
A very hostile environment with very extremely unattainable numbers and goals set by senior management. Us techs have to work with almost no training. I was told I needed to go on the road after a month of ''work'' with absolutely no training or guidance. I was asked to work on the lift trucks even before having operator training. The general idea of this place is treat your employee like slaves and make them work in extremely unsafe conditions, as long as the money comes in, all is good for them.
Pros
being on the road means getting away from mamangement
Cons
Johnston Euipment was a fast paced busy and progressive company
Supervisor Central Invoicing (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 September 2018
Johnston Equipment was a very busy MHE supplier to must of the big stores and Distribution warehouses in Canada. It gave me the opportunity to make many system enhances in order to remain competitive and be able to provide streamlined invoicing to our customers.
Pros
Great team environment to work in
Cons
no cons
Ever changing environment where you can make your mark
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 August 2018
Challenging fast paced work environment, opportunities to make a difference, good team dynamics, mgrs can be challenging, what keeps me hear is my mgr
Pros
work life balance, my manager values my ideas/and respects me, people are great
Cons
summer hours, more time off
Great company - learning foundation
National Training Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 August 2018
I enjoy working for GNJ, Promoted through the ranks into a National Management Position. Recognized by my peers as a solid individual, passionate and observed as the ideal candidate to grow the market.
Pros
Great peers and clients
Evolving,cares,fare,very busy.
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 August 2018
It is professional, fast-paced. Mgr is hands off, trusting. Culture helpful, open-door. Work independently. Fair and rewarding reviews. Company BBQ's.
Pros
Opportunity to make a difference, great team players and supportive
Cons
Would like Summer hours!!
Manager always on the back of workers
Helpdesk Analyst Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 August 2018
Manager always on the back of workers
You cannot express any idea.
IT manager force IT guys to give very old laptops to customers
You are not allow to say a word.
The CEO is like a God and can be serve only by Senior tech not by 4 years tech in the company
Pros
Free water
Cons
Only managment exist
Extremely unsafe work, next to no training
Road Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2018
Like the title says extremely dangerous work with almost no training. I had worked at this company for one month with no real training and I was expected to go out by myself to work on lift trucks that I had never even seen and did not know how to operate. Management only cares about money and they seem very lost in what they are doing. I would not recommend GNJ to my worst enemy.
Pros
Free gas?
Cons
Unsafe, no training, no leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnston Equipment. Our community is ready to answer.