Play YouTube video button
Coronavirus update
Information from Johnson Controls:

Johnson Controls Employee Reviews

Canada269 reviews
Overall a good place to work for.

Very committed to safety. Management is good.

My job was contract, so no benefits and no job guarantee.

Still a good place to work and learn.
Manager is doesn't care about employees. Co-worker will not share knowledge and management doesn't have Experience because of the lack of experience as a manager. The team leader will not listen to new staff.
JIT facility with job rotations, worked to meet customers demand, 2 shifts, open door policy with management and great to work with. Fun & great people.
Pros
Free lunches with goal accomplishments, perfect attendance awards including a extra week of vacations
Cons
Repetitive jobs
Micromanaging is the only thing management excels at. Team leads are useless, dont go to them with questions because they wont be answered. They expect the world out of you and pay you pennies for it. Dont accept suggestions on how to improve but complain how nothing is working. No work life balance.
Pros
benefits.. I guess..
Cons
everything else.
Great company, premium clientele that are willing to spend more to get more.
Forget work life balance. The demands of the project are priority. Quite often out of town travel ( road time ) or overnights required. Limited internal resources besides yourself.
Pros
Independance, control, accountable
Cons
Management not knowing the tech requiered to mske valid decisions.
Low wage and lack of team work
They don't care about their employees and there need to be a follow up with new staffs

Employee are being bullied by the union rep
Pros
Training good
Cons
Co workers are difficult to work with
Cooperation with Johnson Control was always productive and achieved expected results. Great opportunity to learn about project management and collaboration amongst various sub contractors leading to expanded awareness of various operations.
Good company with friendly environment and helpful employees,To many opportunities to increase skills level and I learn a-lot here.I learn about Digital Security Controls.
Ive made good money because of the amount of overtime and on call i work due to our short staffing. Hourly pay is low and theres no real room for advancement but i blame the freelance nature of fire alarm for that not Johnson Controls
I love working at JCI, it is a friendly and fast paced environment. very easy going co workers. Great benefits, and managers. I learnt a lot in my five years with JCI.
They Have work. That's about it. Poor training and poor communication from manager to employee. You never know what you're doing the next week or where you are going to work the next week. Very hard to have a balance in your family life.
Work is usual for any fire alarm technician. Local management does not help to improve workers day-to-day labor. They does not recognize the excellence in working.
Pros
Truck well equipped with the correct tools for fire alarm labors
Very unprofessional and toxic place to work. Most techs are stressed and under pressure to get a job done. Unfortunately, some senior techs are bully and lot of gossiping behind your back. As a junior tech they throw you under the bus a lot. Sadly, the company operates based on seniority and as a young tech your skills and talent will be not recognized. NO career development.
This branch is unionized. Unfortunately, the union is trash.

NOT recommended UNLESS there is a big change.
Fantastic coworkers. Fast paced team oriented repetitive assembly line work.Long hours with constantly changing finish times. Strained the work/life balance.
Good overall work experience, I liked the team environment. There was a safe workplace which was very important to me. Good job training which prepared me for the job.
Did my whole apprenticeship with this company would of spent my life here but in the end of all the years and completing the airport expansion from start to end along with Calgary composed facility I had no place when my children got sick and I had to take time off to come back to no job..
Great company to work for. JCI demands a lot of their employees but it isn't any different then any other publicly traded company. Lots of opportunity to be promoted if your show that you are willing to put in the work.
It is common practice for managers and supervisors to employ immediate and extended family members and friends, even having spouses supervising each other in the same department. Training for managers appears to be non-existent as most are incapable of having direct conversations or provide feedback to their employees, rather they gossip about employees to each other and form cliques to which they offer advantages such as overtime and promotions. Managers appear not have knowledge of ethical leadership practices and do not consider advocating for their employees part of their job description. Instead of offering support, training or guidance the management will ridicule you behind your back and eventually fire you. There is no room for growth in a toxic work environment like this.
I can say with confidence that the company has a wonderful corporate structure and excellent corporate culture. However, the business is left primarily to the local leaders to ensure employee engagement, business strategy, personnel hiring and firing, pay raises and local leadership is determined primarily by internal hires through performance. If you excel at your job, you can get promoted regardless if you are a good fit. Many leaders in the organization would have been better off not taking positions they were not fit to hold. This causes poor culture and poorly managed regions and A LOT of turnover.
It is a great company to start with for excellent training (for a resume).

It allows for a good stepping stone to negotiate for much higher pay at competitors.

The company has a lot of internal politics locally and corporately, be careful.
Pros
Base salary, health care, lots of movement internally
Cons
Under-trained middle management, lot of turnover, not competitive pay or commission
Coffee and hot-chocolate is free. IT not well funded, equipment is obsolete and no plans to improve. Offices are ok but it is a manufacturing compagny so not a lot of frilss.
Cons
Management is a bit disorganized
Without rival, the best managed organization I have ever worked for. They had the best training program and put fantastic tools and support materials in their front line manager's hands.