Johnson Controls
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Johnson Controls Employee Reviews

Canada291 reviews

Found 291 reviews matching the searchSee all 6,853 reviews

Nothing positive to speak of

Company is very driven by stock price , micro managed and very focused on generating revenue, little focus on career paths . Big on upper management with fairly high turnaround .

Pros

Cons

Stressful

Toxic

Toxic environment, coupled with individuals whom spend their entire day looking to find information to get co-workers fired and to compensate for their own incompetence. Very counter productive and unprofessional. They want you to work 7 days a week, will even give you non related projects on the weekend and then never use the work you performed for anything. They will chew you up and spit you out when they fell like it. No loyalty, no appreciation and no tolerance towards anyone with any differences (unofficially behind closed doors). Worst job ever

Pros

Can’t think of any

Cons

Too many to list. Not 1932 any longer.

Worst place ever, so much to do at the time

The don't appreciate the work done, A lot of stress No balance between work/life All employees work under a lot of pressure They just care about reach numbers at the end of month

Sinking ship

Ah jci. A place where working hard lands you nowhere. The more you step up, the worse jobs end up landing on your plate. There are a select group of people who skate by relaxing on maintenance/contract time while others are used for large project work. You bust your back to get a big job done, and surprise! Another garbage project. Constantly hassled to get the job done faster. Toxic culture. Management is useless. Dispatch is a joke. No support for field staff. You are looked at as a set of tools instead of a person. Would not work at johnson controls again if my life depended on it. You could not double my wage. Terrible place to work plain and simple. Losing contracts, lack of hours. Work here if you enjoy being a number.

Pros

Free brain damage

Cons

All that jci is and stands for

Bureaucracy is plentiful/stress versus inadequate compensation/unsupportive mgmt

Employees are strictly cogs in the corporate wheel used as cannon fodder to bled dry by stress & burnout. Employee training is minimal with a "sink or swim" attitude especially at the local levels. Competition between sales reps and divisions is fully adversarial with no real mgmt oversight.

Pros

Marginally acceptable benefit package

Cons

The entire mgmt from top to bottom

It was the worst place i ever worked

The job was hard. Fast paced. Unorthodox. They didn't care about you at all. Everyone who worked there had shoulder and back problems due to the type of work we did and jow little the company cared to fix the work standards. You never knew when you were going hone. Could be 6 hours. Could be 10 hours. Changed on an hourly basis.

Benefits

Cons

Unacceptable working conditions.

Place is not fun to work at. Avoid at all cost

Hey, I have worked here for almost 2 years. And I still work here if there jobs were not hard to find I will quit and find soething else to do even if I get paid less. Its friendly environment place. But the managment team is lost and have no clue what they're doing in toronto, the montreal office is even worse. Please save your self the headache and avoid this place. (Yes I still work here)Name: rafi rashto.

Pros

no pros at working here

Cons

everything

Busy environment

It was a good place to work. Throughly enjoyed working there . Co-workers were amazing to work with, had a lot of fun while at work. Had done miserable people but you find them everywhere.

Pros

Salary, unionized, lots of overtime

Cons

Straight shifts

They don't have empathy.

I was hired at the beginning of the 1st wave of covid. They pulled me from a job I had been at for 5 years earning 20K more. Just before the 3-month probation was over I was called in and dismissed, the reason being Covid. I had to survive on 2K a month EI, do I regret going there ... you bet!

Pros

Company Vehicle

Cons

Everone is disposable.

intéressant pour débutant

ils recherchent des exécutent pour faire le travail, pour devenir gestionnaire tu dois donner ton temps.

Excellent workplace

JCI is one of the best employers I have had the opportunity to work for. The manager is great, very supportive and goes the extra mile to make sure you succeed in your role. Work culture is very safety driven, and the training part is excellent.

Pros

Great pay and benefits, excellent training

Project Management Office in Action

This project environment is continually evolving but always values highest ethical standards. This can be stressful upholding cycling business throughout fiscal periods but project teams strive to win customers’ satisfaction.

Pros

Professional education appreciated

Good Place to Work

They pay well, but be ready to earn it because it is fast paced and there are an incredible amount of emails and they expect you to respond to hundreds right away.Be organized and focused and you'll do fine

Shortage of Tech's, Heavy Workload, Poor Management

I couldn't agree more with these reviews. Shortage of tech's here and that's the major problem. The management needs to look into the source of the problem why aren't the tech's staying? It's a no brainer. The # 1 reason staff leave companies is they feel unappreciated. The tech's that are left get little to no recognition from upper management at all. The Tech's are dedicated, hardworking and wasting their talents for a company that just thinks of you as a number. There are a few wonderful workers here and some that should be spoken too. Sales, Supervisors and Tech's are wonderful!!!

Pros

Good benefits, Company breakfasts, Good supervisors, Uniforms

Cons

No advancement, High Stress, Heavy Workload, Poor Management

Avoid unless you enjoy toxic culture

Managers have favorites, if you're not one of them you aren't treated well. The technicians are great and always friendly. The workers in the office do anything and everything to create drama and make your life miserable. They talk all the time about letting people go, laying people off and who to get rid of next. Always living on edge and worried about if you will loose your job. Very toxic work culture and most managers don't care. Only selected few are thanked for hard work and the rest are left to feel like they don't matter and their work goes unnoticed.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Long hours, not paid overtime, toxic work environment, yearly lay offs

so bad its unbelievable

high turnover due to management and team leader terrible work environment, no team atmosphere management and supervisors are out to get you, customers dont even like these guys, dont waste your time they have high turn over of hvac mechanics and apprentices due to really bad team leaders and managers, you are not a hvac mechanic here, you are more of a sales man with a quota, they pound sales here, the actual salesman are terrible no clue what they are doing, office staff are clueless and useless and miserable terrible terrible terrible

Pros

union

Cons

team leaders management supervisors office staff

It was great when it started...

When I got to JCI, it was great. Benefits package was top notch, I got all the hours I wanted ( I grind hard for my money), and I am fortunate to have learned from some of the greatest in the industry. Corporate people... Yeah they're pretty much hot trash. They look for every way possible to just line their pockets and take out of yours. They don't care if you get sick, they say they care about your safety when the reality is they just don't want to deal with potential law suits. Covid hit, hours got cut to JUST above the minimum level so they could collect that government money, couldn't use sick leave, pto, vacation time, nothing. If you had to take the time off, you simply didn't get paid. Cut the 401(k) matching. Didn't come through on incentive increases that were literally told to our faces were locked in guaranteed and done then lied about it for almost a year... I love what I do and at this local office level, I couldn't ask for better co-workers. Anything outside of that and I can't speak well if this company

Tried to make it work

The culture at JCI located at Yonge and Sheppard is pretty toxic. If you speak out about anything you are targeted. There is no trust between management and the workforce. They have a union that does bare minimum because the membership is small. I wouldn’t recommend this place as a permanent fix, but if you’re looking for a stepping stone have at it.

Pros

Job’s are easy

Cons

Pay does not match the work

Poor Management

The managers are clueless. They don’t care about the employees and will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat. They don’t reach out to customers and aren’t helpful at all to the techs. They leave it completely up to the techs and admin staff to deal with angry clients. If they don’t like you, they will use “safety” to get rid of you. Union is weak. In short. this branch is the Cincinnati Bengals of the HVAC world. Don’t do it unless your stuck and even then watch your back.

Pros

Meh

Cons

Too many to list

Forget working here.

Manager is impossible to get any answers from too many office people that do nothing but point the finger at someone else it is always someone else’s problem should have known it was a bad place when all the top guys started to leave

Pros

Good pay

Johnson Controls Ltd. Leader in building automation systems

I think working for a fortune 500 company in technology is always a winner. If you like structured work environment company leading edge training programs. Working with professional and skilled people. then Johnson Controls Ltd is a good option . The only setback i would say for such an established company is that the management and technical support structure of the company is very well structured and organized. and Management in such a large organization will have multiple stakeholders to report to , so there are many stakeholders involved and if you missed a day off work of reveal weakness in your performance, then it will come out very quickly through the stakeholder meeting and review process and you will mostly end up losing or damaging your career for your mistakes and mishaps. It is like working for the military or government agencies where every step you take is being reaudited and scrutinized so my suggestion is to take your job seriously and ensure all the stakeholders involved is satisfied with your performance in order to receive a good review and advancement opportunities. furthermore, because of such an organized structure, people social skills are fundamentally important to lead you to advance to the next level of your career.

Pros

professional work environment and people

Cons

organization is very structured. there is little opportunity in creativity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Controls. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.2K