Johns Hopkins University Employee Reviews

Busy Days
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD10 April 2018
This job has given me many different learning experiences. I've been able to explore all aspects of the job. Administrative, clinical, and management.
Productive environment
Budget Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD10 April 2018
• Reviewed for accuracy and processes payroll transactions (weekly payroll, overtime, ISR submission of salary adjustments
• Prepared and submitted salary distribution updates (E-Forms)
• Performed a variety of financial activities related to the payment and receipt of money; computes, classifies, and records transactions into assigned financial systems
• Administered the expenditure of funds, ensuring that funds are expended according to sponsoring organization and university guidelines
• Prepared and processed purchase orders and payments. Processed department travel requests, expense reports, on-line check requests, routine journal entries and adjustments
Pros
Great company that is world renowned.
Competitive but innovative
Budget Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 212874 April 2018
The particular department I worked for was not the best at reinforcing employee morale, but some managers were dedicated at supporting staff while meeting benchmarks. I was offered advancement several times under Finance but my career change goals were focused on Nutrition and there were no options for me to transition within, at that time.
Pros
Several internal and external perks
Cons
Commetitive culture with management
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD3 April 2018
Professors are kind and knowledgable. Working here as a teaching assistant helped us deepen our understanding in this field and improve communication skills.
professional environment
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MD1 April 2018
I love working here, but it can be very stressful for people with families. its hard to get time off to take care of life outside the work place. Its overall a great environment to work in.
Pros
Respectable staff
Cons
No time to take care of personal life duties
Good place to gain experience
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD31 March 2018
I have worked in two different departments at JHU so far and both involved a lot of independent work with at times very little support or patience for beginner mistakes. It was great if you went in knowing everything you needed to know for your job but not a supportive environment for growth in your career by taking risks or making mistakes to learn. Treat this job as a landing place to transition between undergrad and grad school or to another company outside of the academic system. If you are not a PhD or a doctor of some sort there is a lack of respect, focus on development and attachment from faculty or lead supervisors.
Pros
Great benefits, lots of discounts, housing perks if you want to buy a house in the city.
Cons
Low pay, lack of support professionally, high stress and work load with little recognition
I loved my job wish it didn't have to end!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 2120528 March 2018
I had the best supervisor ever! He never questioned the way I did my job, he allowed me to do it my way so that we could have a successful research. There isn't any that I could say bad about this position.
Pros
The supervisor allowed me to work independently as long as I got the job done
Cons
The other people on floor wasn't friendly.
Great opportunity for learning
Quality Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD27 March 2018
Work 8 hour days with the ability to telework one day per week. Learned about the healthcare delivery system from many different angles. Workplace breeds knowledge sharing and learning. Hardest part of the day is the commute to and from. Most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to network and continually grow as a professional.
Pros
WFH home day, flexibility
Cons
Long commute
Productive and a great stepping stone
Chief Editor of Aceguide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD24 March 2018
It is a great place as a part time job but not a place to develop professionally. It should only be considered as a stepping stone, not an actual career.
n/a
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD19 March 2018
I really did not like the environment it was too much drama , co workers never really got along with each other , it seems like it is a cut throat type of company and very stressful
great career opportunities
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD18 March 2018
Overall working for this company has had its highs and lows. I have learned a lot and enjoyed the process of advancement in my career and the full use of my skills.
This was by far one of the best jobs ever
Medical Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 March 2018
I worked for an awesome team of physicians and a professor who was very compassionate with a heart of gold. He was the best boss that I have ever encountered in my entire life. The job had a lot to offer and I was there for many years working between two entities,the hospital as well as the University. If I were to ever move back to Maryland, this would be my place of choice. "THE BEST OF THE BEST".
Pros
excellent benefits, loved the diversity, enjoyed everything that this place had to offer.
Cons
The entry assessments that had nothing to do with the actual position
Typical day
HR Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 March 2018
Provide administrative support to the ELR team by maintaining calendars, coordinating schedules, travel itineraries, and establish and maintains an organized filing system to ensure the expeditious retrieval of information
Jhu
Patient Care Technician (PCT) (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 March 2018
The pay is ok but the benefits is not good at all you have to pay 20 percent of your bill after deductible is met. plus co- pay. the discount offered is ok as well.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD14 March 2018
Teaching at JHU was required in my program so all students had to do it. As a result, quality could be hit or miss but plenty of support was given so TAs were knowledgeable in lab content.
Good Work Place
Field interviewer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore11 March 2018
Good work environment. Supportive staff. Independent work. Work challenging and interesting. Meeting new people. Work was in the field and not in an office. Respondants often had to be located thru computer search or social media
Pros
Good enviroment
Wonder opportunity to meet, train, and learn from many awesome researchers.
Study Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD9 March 2018
Wonder opportunity to meet, train, and learn from many awesome researchers. I was able to attend many meetings / condferences that focus on the future of clinical research.
Productive and result oriented
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, Md8 March 2018
In this position I get a chance to assist patients and their families receive quality healthcare. In accordance with the mission of Mr. Johns Hopkins I take great pleasure in assisting low-income families in obtaining equal medicine.
Pros
Progressive
Cons
Overall moral
Advancement
Patient Access Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 212114 March 2018
Johns Hopkins has amazing benefits, however there is not much opportunity for advancement and its extremely difficult to move through the university due to years of experience
Pros
current manager/ supervusor, benefits
Cons
short breaks, salary, advancement
Typical Enviorment
Scheduled/monitor main director (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD2 March 2018
Stress- Free environment, very diverse faculty, room for expansion, awesome team work. Management was non existing. I enjoyed my co-workers and patients