JOhn Howard Society Employee Reviews

Overworked, and underpaid.
Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 March 2019
Been in the field for 15 years, and based on my experience at JHS, I was more burnt out in months than I had been in years. Management was very young and inexperienced, and repeatedly told me to handle crisis situations wrong. Staff were under-trained and scared. Upper management was non-existent. I left when I knew things were essentially never going to change. Clients pay the price.
Great company and cause
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB24 February 2019
Great organization that helps those that have a risk of becoming someone with a criminal record or already has a criminal record. Managed very well, great approachable people work and run the organization.
Very dedicated staff
Homelessness Worker (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON22 October 2018
Coworkers make this environment what it is. Lovely people. Lots of freedom, but sometimes support from management is difficult to acquire and the staff is left to contend with complex client situations which need higher levels of support.
fun workplace
Causal Residence & Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 September 2018
a lot of learning.
a lot of exposure.
room for opportunity.
good experience to carry forward.
interactive environment where you can strive and advance
Pros
team
Cons
wage
Good work environment
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 September 2018
Good place to work if you are new in the Social Work field. This is not an organization you can move up in, however there is much that one can learn. The boss is very accommodating and productive; someone you can learn from.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
No where to move up
The need to hire an ex con
Janitor/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC10 July 2018
Ever wonder what life in Canada be like if we just let the convicts run the show. Bet you things would go a lot smoother, These folks I worked for took me in and let me do some cleaning for them each week for several years.
Pros
Safe, easy place to work at.
Cons
None.
Amazing workplace and people
Adult Justice Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 July 2018
Great agency with amazing caring people. Funding cuts means no security of contract renewals and this is always a big fear when you are not in a permanent position.
Good Work Experience
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 May 2018
I am currently at John Howard as a student doing a Co-op program. The work environment is very pleasant and I learn a lot about the different programs and also do basic tasks one would usually do at an office such as filing, photocopying, paperwork, and labeling. This has taught me what an office is like to work with and I am enjoying my time here.
Pros
Learning lots
Cons
slow work days
Fun place
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB6 April 2018
It was a great environment, great people, had lots of memories, would recommend this to Anyone who would be interested. Would take this opportunity again
Very Poor Management
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON3 April 2018
I worked at JHS for many years and under different management. I must say, it was an absolute joy and honor to work with the original management team but sadly, since the new team came on (the ED retired and a new person replaced him) things changed drastically.
The original program managers left shortly thereafter and new ones were hired.
Let's just say that the vast majority of the original staff of very dedicated and respected employees of JHS have left the agency because of the working environment. It no longer is a nice place to work and is instead, full of very stressed individuals with a poor morale.
The environment now is quite stressful and micromanaged and you will receive very little if any, support from management. In fact, you can expect to be visited fairly often by the management pointing out areas in which you are not being productive, etc. You should not expect to receive very much positive encouragement (at least my former colleagues and I did not receive much). You are expected to not only work your own caseload but others' as well.
It is very difficult to take the lieu time you will accrue because your caseload is just that busy and management is difficult to work with in this regard.
The upside is that you get really great holidays but sadly, in some situations, no one really covers your full workload while you're away so you end up coming back to an absolute mountain of work.
While it is a unionized agency, for some reason, the union is not quite strong,
It was with a very heavy heart that I, and many of my colleagues, left JHS because it truly
  more... was an agency we once all loved.  less
Pros
Great Vacation Time
Residential Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB2 April 2018
While most times being a residential care worker is stressful, it often can be rewarding. Its rewarding knowing that some of the clients we work with move on and are able to love independently. The job can be fun at times. Social worker appeared to be too soft hearted towards certain clients therefore they knew it and when acting out would automatically call that social worker. Disciplining in this case was very hard.
productive workspace
Social Service Office Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 April 2018
I learned a lot from the receptionist rather than from the social workers. but the environment was very welcoming and hospitable to clients and employees.
Pros
welcoming environment
Down to earth and caring environment
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC6 April 2017
It was a pleasure working with the John Howard Society. The team worked together seamlessly. They had a lot of transparency in the workplace and often held staff meetings.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
trouble getting paychecks right
my typical day
Residential Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 March 2017
I would go to the house and check my messages see whick youth are home and what there plans are for the day. I would go and see if there are any meetings I need to attend and go to them.
Pros
no breaks
Cons
stressful
this job was all about helping improve the lives of those who need it.
Videographer/Editor/Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 January 2017
This is a non-profit that I was privileged to work for during the summer months. I learned a lot and everyone was so helpful. It was wonderful to contribute towards such a great cause.
Amazing workplace.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON20 January 2017
This would have to the best job i have ever had. The co-workers were accepting and friendly, everyone was your friend. The manager was very kind and very clear on what was supposed to be done.
Pros
Amazing people to work with.
Cons
None.
John Howard
Residential Counsellor (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick8 January 2017
Great company to work for. They care about staff and have an open door policy. John Howard is an asset to any community and I am proud to be part of their team.
Continuous learning & Great Management
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON18 July 2016
I worked and volunteered with the John Howard Society of Belleville & District for almost 7 years. I could honestly say every day was different, you never knew from one day to the next what your day would be like. I loved working there because the diversity of people you met, there is always continuous learning, very good training and most of it on the job. Each problem or situation was unique, to the person you were seeing.
Pros
Continuous learning
Cons
Wonderful place to work, amazing ED to collaborate with.
Criminal Justice Educator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 July 2016
Excellent place to work. Job culture is wonderful and nurturing. Pay is not so good. Good hours, can take time off if needed.
Pros
Wonderful job culture and ED to work with.
Cons
Pay is low.
experience, gain knowledge
job placement program / volunteer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON27 June 2016
-come in and sign in
-explain how your day week was
-what you couldve done to improve it
- what you need to work on
-goals
-whimis
Pros
you get to meet people and hear there side in life
Cons
poor pay