JOhn Howard Society Employee Reviews

Very Poor Management
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON3 April 2018
I worked at JHS for many years and under different management. I must say, it was an absolute joy and honor to work with the original management team but sadly, since the new team came on (the ED retired and a new person replaced him) things changed drastically.
The original program managers left shortly thereafter and new ones were hired.
Let's just say that the vast majority of the original staff of very dedicated and respected employees of JHS have left the agency because of the working environment. It no longer is a nice place to work and is instead, full of very stressed individuals with a poor morale.
The environment now is quite stressful and micromanaged and you will receive very little if any, support from management. In fact, you can expect to be visited fairly often by the management pointing out areas in which you are not being productive, etc. You should not expect to receive very much positive encouragement (at least my former colleagues and I did not receive much). You are expected to not only work your own caseload but others' as well.
It is very difficult to take the lieu time you will accrue because your caseload is just that busy and management is difficult to work with in this regard.
The upside is that you get really great holidays but sadly, in some situations, no one really covers your full workload while you're away so you end up coming back to an absolute mountain of work.
While it is a unionized agency, for some reason, the union is not quite strong,
It was with a very heavy heart that I, and many of my colleagues, left JHS because it truly
  more... was an agency we once all loved.  less
Pros
Great Vacation Time
Residential Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB2 April 2018
While most times being a residential care worker is stressful, it often can be rewarding. Its rewarding knowing that some of the clients we work with move on and are able to love independently. The job can be fun at times. Social worker appeared to be too soft hearted towards certain clients therefore they knew it and when acting out would automatically call that social worker. Disciplining in this case was very hard.
productive workspace
Social Service Office Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 April 2018
I learned a lot from the receptionist rather than from the social workers. but the environment was very welcoming and hospitable to clients and employees.
Pros
welcoming environment
Down to earth and caring environment
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC6 April 2017
It was a pleasure working with the John Howard Society. The team worked together seamlessly. They had a lot of transparency in the workplace and often held staff meetings.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
trouble getting paychecks right
my typical day
Residential Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 March 2017
I would go to the house and check my messages see whick youth are home and what there plans are for the day. I would go and see if there are any meetings I need to attend and go to them.
Pros
no breaks
Cons
stressful
this job was all about helping improve the lives of those who need it.
Videographer/Editor/Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 January 2017
This is a non-profit that I was privileged to work for during the summer months. I learned a lot and everyone was so helpful. It was wonderful to contribute towards such a great cause.
Amazing workplace.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON20 January 2017
This would have to the best job i have ever had. The co-workers were accepting and friendly, everyone was your friend. The manager was very kind and very clear on what was supposed to be done.
Pros
Amazing people to work with.
Cons
None.
John Howard
Residential Counsellor (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick8 January 2017
Great company to work for. They care about staff and have an open door policy. John Howard is an asset to any community and I am proud to be part of their team.
Continuous learning & Great Management
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON18 July 2016
I worked and volunteered with the John Howard Society of Belleville & District for almost 7 years. I could honestly say every day was different, you never knew from one day to the next what your day would be like. I loved working there because the diversity of people you met, there is always continuous learning, very good training and most of it on the job. Each problem or situation was unique, to the person you were seeing.
Pros
Continuous learning
Cons
Wonderful place to work, amazing ED to collaborate with.
Criminal Justice Educator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 July 2016
Excellent place to work. Job culture is wonderful and nurturing. Pay is not so good. Good hours, can take time off if needed.
Pros
Wonderful job culture and ED to work with.
Cons
Pay is low.

Want to know more about JOhn Howard Society?

Ask a question
experience, gain knowledge
job placement program / volunteer (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON27 June 2016
-come in and sign in
-explain how your day week was
-what you couldve done to improve it
- what you need to work on
-goals
-whimis
Pros
you get to meet people and hear there side in life
Cons
poor pay
Incredible organization to work for with great staff, and good benefits.
Residential Worker (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC6 May 2016
A highly rewarding place to work, with a fun team of co-workers and amazing management staff. The benefits are exceptional, the pay rates are in the competitive range for the field and the work place environment is top notch.

Highly recommended place of employment.
Pros
Free meal with every shift
Cons
Occasional challenging moments that can be extremely stressful
productive, fun
Clinical Counselor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
productive and fun
objective, easy to learn, good people, great opportunity to make a difference in community.

the work involves a lot of interactions with amazing people, you learn a lot on daily basis. a good job for people committed to making a positive change in people's lives.
Pros
fun
Cons
n/a
Very interesting place to work at. Quality management with professional touch on the work place issues.
Junior Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 September 2015
Very god place to work at. The job enabled me to understand the society I lived in much clearly. Very kind and understanding office atmosphere in place.
Great learning experience with interesting clientel
Resident Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 May 2015
Relatively laid-back atmosphere, with interesting clients and fun staff. Rewarding work that bestowed a sense of responsibility
Rewarding career
Residential Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB5 May 2015
Staff are very supportive of one another. Everyone works together to provide clients with the support they need. Management staff make employees feel appreciated.
It was great to speak to youth about my trial and tribulations.
Spokeswoman (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, Ontario18 February 2015
I really enjoyed the fact that I got to speak to youth about my life experiences and let them learn from it hoping to influence them in the best positive way that I could. I loved my co-workers they were all kid, caring and really nice. The hardest part of my job was the long drives but it was all worth it in the end. The most enjoyable party of my job was having teenagers walk up to me after the seminar saying how much I changed their outlook on life and to know that their was other people that had been in the same situation as them and could relate to them.
Pros
Free gift bags such as juice boxes, apples and cookies.
Cons
The long drives.
Social Service Agency assisting people on bail and other community individuals
Assistant Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON11 September 2014
Amazing organization, my boss and co-workers were more than anybody could ask for. I wish I could stay at this job forever, however my contract ended through service Canada's paid internship and the agency does not have the funding to hire me full time.
I was excited that my skills I learned in college were put to good use. The hardest part of the job is not getting attached to some amazing people. the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting amazing people and assisting them through emotional crisis.
Pros
Very social, you get to see the changes in peoples lives that you assist
Cons
non for profit, rough salary
Fast pace, enthusiastic work environment
Assistant Counselor (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON18 April 2014
A typical day at work required many skills and a lot of flexibility. I learned a lot about the criminal justice system and how to organize my work life. The management was always accessible, organized, and considerate of employees. My co-workers were wonderful to work with and always encourage an environment of safety and productivity. The hardest part of the job is hearing some of the stories that come from the people we helped. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you can make a difference in other's lives.
Pros
Great work opportunities
Cons
Fast pace environment can cause tire/burnout
Productive and great field experience
Second year CYW field placement (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON21 March 2014
Friendly staff and relaxed environment. Great chance to build on knowledge of this field.